Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Seasoning Mix

I bought bitter orange peel at a local beer supply store and what
started off as following a simple recipe is turning into my own spice
mix.

Citrus Salt

I found dried bitter orange peels at a local beer supply store.

Begin by grinding bitter orange peel to a powder in your coffee
grinder/spice-grinder (I'll figure out how much dried rind to start
with later, but I'm thinking ¼ cup)

Begin with 2T orange rind powder

Add
1T whole peppercorns and grind them to small chunks

Add
2 t dried onion flakes ~ grind until fine

Add
1 t granulated garlic
1t kosher salt

Blend - about 5 seconds.

Go ahead and taste the mixture as you make it, but please don't add
any sugar! Wait until the end to decide if you really need it or not.
I thought it was totally unnecessary when tasted the final product,.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 02 Jun 2015 21:42:04 -0700, sf > wrote:

>I bought bitter orange peel at a local beer supply store and what
>started off as following a simple recipe is turning into my own spice
>mix.
>
>Citrus Salt
>
>I found dried bitter orange peels at a local beer supply store.
>
>Begin by grinding bitter orange peel to a powder in your coffee
>grinder/spice-grinder (I'll figure out how much dried rind to start
>with later, but I'm thinking ¼ cup)
>

>Begin with 2T orange rind powder
>
>Add
>1T whole peppercorns and grind them to small chunks
>
>Add
>2 t dried onion flakes ~ grind until fine
>
>Add
>1 t granulated garlic
>1t kosher salt
>
>Blend - about 5 seconds.
>
>Go ahead and taste the mixture as you make it, but please don't add
>any sugar! Wait until the end to decide if you really need it or not.
>I thought it was totally unnecessary when tasted the final product,.

what are you thinking of using this on?

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-06-03 12:42 AM, sf wrote:

> I bought bitter orange peel at a local beer supply store and what
> started off as following a simple recipe is turning into my own spice
> mix.

I have bought ground orange peel at the Bulk Barn. It ain't cheap, but
is is all pre-ground.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 08:55:06 -0400, William > wrote:

> what are you thinking of using this on?

I'm going to use the kitchen sink approach and see where I think it
works best. Chicken will be first. I'm not even sure at this point
if I should use it as a regular seasoning before cooking or as a
finishing salt.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 09:31:29 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2015-06-03 12:42 AM, sf wrote:
> >
> > I bought bitter orange peel at a local beer supply store and what
> > started off as following a simple recipe is turning into my own spice
> > mix.
> >

> I have bought ground orange peel at the Bulk Barn. It ain't cheap, but
> is is all pre-ground.

This was $3 for 2oz.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 08:55:06 -0400, William > wrote:
> >

> > what are you thinking of using this on?
> >

> I'm going to use the kitchen sink approach and see where I think it
> works best. Chicken will be first. I'm not even sure at this point
> if I should use it as a regular seasoning before cooking or as a
> finishing salt.

Definitely season before cooking. Gives the juices time to melt the
blend and flavor it more evenly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 16:46:19 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 08:55:06 -0400, William > wrote:
> > >

> > > what are you thinking of using this on?
> > >

> > I'm going to use the kitchen sink approach and see where I think it
> > works best. Chicken will be first. I'm not even sure at this point
> > if I should use it as a regular seasoning before cooking or as a
> > finishing salt.

> Definitely season before cooking. Gives the juices time to melt the
> blend and flavor it more evenly.

I cooked pork chops tonight and seasoned them with it before cooking.
I didn't tell hubby I was using that blend, so thought I was using
what I usually do and had no clue. He couldn't stop telling me how
good it was! Citrus was a background flavor, not something you could
name. So glad it worked!
http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=... .VW_IWs9VhBc

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oops, sorry. http://oi62.tinypic.com/312eo0k.jpg

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/4/2015 7:13 AM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 20:44:24 -0700, sf > wrote:
>

> Oops, sorry. http://oi62.tinypic.com/312eo0k.jpg

Looks good enough to eat. I like a bit of citrus in seasoningd
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 6/4/2015 7:13 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 20:44:24 -0700, sf > wrote:
>>

>> Oops, sorry. http://oi62.tinypic.com/312eo0k.jpg
>>

> Looks good enough to eat. I like a bit of citrus in seasoningd

It looks wonderful.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 20:44:24 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> > http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=... .VW_IWs9VhBc

> Oops, sorry. http://oi62.tinypic.com/312eo0k.jpg

You sure do win with that meal based on looks.
Could you post details or a whole recipe?

Is that mushrooms on top of the pork?
And how did you make the sauce?
What is the veggie underneath? Sweet potatoes? Hard to tell.
Spinach on the bottom?
I think I see a single garbonzo bean at the bottom of the plate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 11:17:58 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 20:44:24 -0700, sf > wrote:
> >
> > > http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=... .VW_IWs9VhBc

> > Oops, sorry. http://oi62.tinypic.com/312eo0k.jpg

> You sure do win with that meal based on looks.
> Could you post details or a whole recipe?
>
> Is that mushrooms on top of the pork?

Yes, quartered and sautéed in a fairly dry pan before I sautéed the
pork chops and then added them back after I thickened the sauce/gravy.

> And how did you make the sauce?

Pan juices & fond + a little chicken stock, slightly thickened with
cornstarch.

> What is the veggie underneath? Sweet potatoes? Hard to tell.

Roasted butternut squash (coated with olive oil and seasoned before it
went onto the baking sheet). It browned so well because it cooked
before I finished the rest of the meal, so I turned the oven off and
let them sit there. They browned more, but they weren't over cooked
(thank goodness). It's dressed in a homemade lemon vinaigrette that
was sweetened slightly in the bowl with a little real maple syrup.

BTW: if the squash had over cooked, I would have mashed it.

> Spinach on the bottom?

Yes. sautéed in garlic.

> I think I see a single garbonzo bean at the bottom of the plate.

That's garlic, I browned it a bit before I added the spinach.

I wasn't sure how that squash would pair with the spinach, but the
combo was fine. Best of all, it was a filling meal with no munchies a
few hours later.

--

sf

Seasoning a Wok Kswck General Cooking 1 19-01-2009 11:23 PM
Seasoning Dick Adams[_2_] General Cooking 55 08-03-2007 04:59 PM
seasoning a wok Jen General Cooking 5 06-10-2005 10:44 PM
Wok Seasoning [email protected] Cooking Equipment 3 26-01-2005 01:56 PM
wok seasoning? Sticks General Cooking 5 26-05-2004 12:10 AM