Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking differences bet. grass fed and regular beef?

Anyone care to share experiences about the differences, if any, between
cooking grass-fed beef versus regular beef? For things like ground beef
(sloppy joe, hamburger, etc), we haven't found any major difference, but
we're finding it hard to get it just right with things like steak on the
grill. Seems we either over- or under-cook no matter what we do.

Thanks.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 May 2015 12:46:32 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

> Anyone care to share experiences about the differences, if any, between
> cooking grass-fed beef versus regular beef? For things like ground beef
> (sloppy joe, hamburger, etc), we haven't found any major difference, but
> we're finding it hard to get it just right with things like steak on the
> grill. Seems we either over- or under-cook no matter what we do.
>
> Thanks.

Have you tried an instant read thermometer yet? Also, reverse sear
might be the way for you to go since you're having a hard time hitting
the sweet spot.
http://www.weber.com/weber-nation/bl...e-reverse-sear

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Anyone care to share experiences about the differences, if any, between
>cooking grass-fed beef versus regular beef? For things like ground beef
>(sloppy joe, hamburger, etc), we haven't found any major difference, but
>we're finding it hard to get it just right with things like steak on the
>grill. Seems we either over- or under-cook no matter what we do.
>
>Thanks.
>
>-S-

This is from the website of the butcher shop I usually buy my
grass-fed beef from.
http://www.homegrownmeats.com/

How do I prepare grass-fed beef?

Our Homegrown grass-fed beef is significantly lower in fat than what
you may be used to. To enjoy all the tender, rich flavor, you’ll have
to pay a little extra attention when cooking.

Here are a few simple steps to take:

1. Bring your meat to, or close to, room temperature.
2. Sear and brown the outside on high heat – not burned, but
caramelized.
3. Turn down the heat to medium and finish cooking to the desired
internal temperature. In general, the more rare, the better! (See the
chart below.)
4. Use a meat thermometer to measure the internal temperature or cut
into the meat to check its doneness.
5. The final crucial step is to remove the meat from the heat and let
it rest for 5-15 minutes. Cover your meat with aluminum foil – loosely
for rare and tightly for a little more done.
6. Enjoy your Homegrown grass-fed, flavorful, healthy beef. And we’ll
see you again real soon. We’re sure of it.

Internal Temperature Table
Remove from heat/Ideal temperature after resting/USDA recommendation
Rare -- 120º-130º/125º-130º/140º
Medium-Rare -- 130º-135º/130º-140º/150º
Medium -- 135º-150º/140º-150º/160º
Medium-Well -- 150º-165º/155º-165º/170º (not recommended)

koko

James Beard
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/8/2015 1:23 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 8 May 2015 12:46:32 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
> wrote:
>
>> Anyone care to share experiences about the differences, if any, between
>> cooking grass-fed beef versus regular beef? For things like ground beef
>> (sloppy joe, hamburger, etc), we haven't found any major difference, but
>> we're finding it hard to get it just right with things like steak on the
>> grill. Seems we either over- or under-cook no matter what we do.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Have you tried an instant read thermometer yet? Also, reverse sear
> might be the way for you to go since you're having a hard time hitting
> the sweet spot.
> http://www.weber.com/weber-nation/bl...e-reverse-sear

Two superb recommendations.

Typically I'll only use this indirect method on a much thicker steak
than your average supermarket (1' thick) ribeye - say a 2" high filet.

But the science applies to most any cut.

And you want a true instant read thermopen:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GE2XF8/...oequippilot-20

This model is about the most cost-effective.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
>Steve Freides wrote:
>
>> Anyone care to share experiences about the differences, if any, between
>> cooking grass-fed beef versus regular beef?
>>

>Also, reverse sear might be the way for you to go since
>you're having a hard time hitting the sweet spot.

Reverse rear and hitting the sweet spot, um... that's a sexual act.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Anyone care to share experiences about the differences, if any, between
>cooking grass-fed beef versus regular beef? For things like ground beef
>(sloppy joe, hamburger, etc), we haven't found any major difference, but
>we're finding it hard to get it just right with things like steak on the
>grill. Seems we either over- or under-cook no matter what we do.
>
>Thanks.
>
>-S-

Grass fed IS regular beef. The corn fed crap we've been eating from
the Food Factory is the abberance.

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> Anyone care to share experiences about the differences, if any, between
> cooking grass-fed beef versus regular beef? For things like ground beef
> (sloppy joe, hamburger, etc), we haven't found any major difference, but
> we're finding it hard to get it just right with things like steak on the
> grill. Seems we either over- or under-cook no matter what we do.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -S-

it is good slathered in suet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 May 2015 15:50:28 -0700, "taxed and spent"
> wrote:

>"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>> Anyone care to share experiences about the differences, if any, between
>> cooking grass-fed beef versus regular beef? For things like ground beef
>> (sloppy joe, hamburger, etc), we haven't found any major difference, but
>> we're finding it hard to get it just right with things like steak on the
>> grill. Seems we either over- or under-cook no matter what we do.
>>

>it is good slathered in suet

Interesting idea there. Could also mix spices or whatever into the
suet beforehand.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 May 2015 12:55:06 -0700, koko > wrote:

>On Fri, 8 May 2015 12:46:32 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
>wrote:
>
>>Anyone care to share experiences about the differences, if any, between
>>cooking grass-fed beef versus regular beef? For things like ground beef
>>(sloppy joe, hamburger, etc), we haven't found any major difference, but
>>we're finding it hard to get it just right with things like steak on the
>>grill. Seems we either over- or under-cook no matter what we do.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>-S-
>>

>This is from the website of the butcher shop I usually buy my
>grass-fed beef from.
>http://www.homegrownmeats.com/
>
>How do I prepare grass-fed beef?
>
>Our Homegrown grass-fed beef is significantly lower in fat than what
>you may be used to. To enjoy all the tender, rich flavor, you’ll have
>to pay a little extra attention when cooking.
>
>Here are a few simple steps to take:
>
>1. Bring your meat to, or close to, room temperature.
>2. Sear and brown the outside on high heat – not burned, but
>caramelized.
>3. Turn down the heat to medium and finish cooking to the desired
>internal temperature. In general, the more rare, the better! (See the
>chart below.)
>4. Use a meat thermometer to measure the internal temperature or cut
>into the meat to check its doneness.
>5. The final crucial step is to remove the meat from the heat and let
>it rest for 5-15 minutes. Cover your meat with aluminum foil – loosely
>for rare and tightly for a little more done.
>6. Enjoy your Homegrown grass-fed, flavorful, healthy beef. And we’ll
>see you again real soon. We’re sure of it.
>
>Internal Temperature Table
>Remove from heat/Ideal temperature after resting/USDA recommendation
>Rare -- 120º-130º/125º-130º/140º
>Medium-Rare -- 130º-135º/130º-140º/150º
>Medium -- 135º-150º/140º-150º/160º
>Medium-Well -- 150º-165º/155º-165º/170º (not recommended)
>
>koko

I'd say that about covers it!

I've also tried taking some frozen grass-fed steaks from the freezer
right onto the stove and then going by guess and by golly, and got it
right on the first time, ok the second, and pretty much a disaster the
third. I think I'll try a defrost in the fridge for twelve hours next
time, have one in the freezer that's overdue.

J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/8/2015 3:55 PM, koko wrote:

> Internal Temperature Table
> Remove from heat/Ideal temperature after resting/USDA recommendation
> Rare -- 120º-130º/125º-130º/140º
> Medium-Rare -- 130º-135º/130º-140º/150º
> Medium -- 135º-150º/140º-150º/160º
> Medium-Well -- 150º-165º/155º-165º/170º (not recommended)
>
> koko

Maybe it is me, but I've always found those temperatures to be a bit
high. I never let a steak get past 110 on the grill. Comes out med-rare.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/8/2015 11:44 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 08 May 2015 22:54:18 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> Maybe it is me, but I've always found those temperatures to be a bit
>> high. I never let a steak get past 110 on the grill. Comes out med-rare.

> That's only 8 degrees above a cow's normal body temperature.
>
> Medium rare is 125-130F according to all the meat realistic references
> I've seen (not the USDA charts). Even if your 110F steak rises
> another 5 degrees after the grill, that's still considered pretty
> "blue". Rare starts at 120F.
>
> -sw

They easily get to 120+ resting five minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 May 2015 00:06:03 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 5/8/2015 11:44 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Fri, 08 May 2015 22:54:18 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe it is me, but I've always found those temperatures to be a bit
>>> high. I never let a steak get past 110 on the grill. Comes out med-rare.

>> That's only 8 degrees above a cow's normal body temperature.
>>
>> Medium rare is 125-130F according to all the meat realistic references
>> I've seen (not the USDA charts). Even if your 110F steak rises
>> another 5 degrees after the grill, that's still considered pretty
>> "blue". Rare starts at 120F.
>>
>> -sw
>>

>They easily get to 120+ resting five minutes.

I find this fixation on specific temperatures a little amusing. I've
never once known what temps I use, other than just a visual idea of
how hot a pan or grill might be. It's been years since I cooked a
steak where I thought I could have done better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 May 2015 14:19:02 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:

> On 5/8/2015 1:23 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 8 May 2015 12:46:32 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Anyone care to share experiences about the differences, if any, between
> >> cooking grass-fed beef versus regular beef? For things like ground beef
> >> (sloppy joe, hamburger, etc), we haven't found any major difference, but
> >> we're finding it hard to get it just right with things like steak on the
> >> grill. Seems we either over- or under-cook no matter what we do.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>

> > Have you tried an instant read thermometer yet? Also, reverse sear
> > might be the way for you to go since you're having a hard time hitting
> > the sweet spot.
> > http://www.weber.com/weber-nation/bl...e-reverse-sear
> >

> Two superb recommendations.
>
> Typically I'll only use this indirect method on a much thicker steak
> than your average supermarket (1' thick) ribeye - say a 2" high filet.
>
> But the science applies to most any cut.
>
> And you want a true instant read thermopen:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GE2XF8/...oequippilot-20
>
> This model is about the most cost-effective.

That is a good gift giving model, but I have this one for myself.
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/

Actually, I've kept an eye on this one for gifts.
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt345.html

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/8/2015 8:22 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I may get grass fed steaks cooked perfectly 1 out of 4 times,

The habitrail grill is too small?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/8/2015 9:44 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Rare starts at 120F.

What temperature do you keep your cedar shavings at?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/8/2015 10:13 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I cook most of my steaks on
> the stove in cast iron.

Sear your puffy cheeks off then, please.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/8/2015 10:23 PM, wrote:
> I've
> never once known what temps I use, other than just a visual idea of
> how hot a pan or grill might be.

Yeah you profile as a total winger.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/8/2015 10:42 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 08 May 2015 14:19:02 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:
>
>> On 5/8/2015 1:23 PM, sf wrote:

>>> Have you tried an instant read thermometer yet? Also, reverse sear
>>> might be the way for you to go since you're having a hard time hitting
>>> the sweet spot.
>>> http://www.weber.com/weber-nation/bl...e-reverse-sear
>>>

>> Two superb recommendations.
>>
>> Typically I'll only use this indirect method on a much thicker steak
>> than your average supermarket (1' thick) ribeye - say a 2" high filet.
>>
>> But the science applies to most any cut.
>>
>> And you want a true instant read thermopen:
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GE2XF8/...oequippilot-20
>>
>> This model is about the most cost-effective.

> That is a good gift giving model, but I have this one for myself.
> http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/

Perfect choice.

> Actually, I've kept an eye on this one for gifts.
> http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt345.html

LOL!

The hot dog and brats version?

You slay me ;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JRStern wrote:
>koko wrote:
>>Steve Freides wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone care to share experiences about the differences, if any, between
>>>cooking grass-fed beef versus regular beef? For things like ground beef
>>>(sloppy joe, hamburger, etc), we haven't found any major difference, but
>>>we're finding it hard to get it just right with things like steak on the
>>>grill. Seems we either over- or under-cook no matter what we do.
>>>

>>This is from the website of the butcher shop I usually buy my
>>grass-fed beef from.
>>http://www.homegrownmeats.com/
>>
>>How do I prepare grass-fed beef?

Season with Scott's Turf Builder,
http://www.amazon.com/Scotts-Turf-Bu.../dp/B00B7EKXKK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/9/2015 12:23 AM, Jeßus wrote:
> On Sat, 09 May 2015 00:06:03 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> That's only 8 degrees above a cow's normal body temperature.
>>>
>>> Medium rare is 125-130F according to all the meat realistic references
>>> I've seen (not the USDA charts). Even if your 110F steak rises
>>> another 5 degrees after the grill, that's still considered pretty
>>> "blue". Rare starts at 120F.
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> They easily get to 120+ resting five minutes.

> I find this fixation on specific temperatures a little amusing. I've
> never once known what temps I use, other than just a visual idea of
> how hot a pan or grill might be. It's been years since I cooked a
> steak where I thought I could have done better.

It's a little strange. When I grill a steak, I look at it, touch it,
determine whether or not it needs a little more cooking. I can also
tell by the juices it extrudes. Thermo-pens? A thermometer is great
for a roast in the oven but for a steak on the stovetop or a grill?
Overkill. It's not like we're performing surgery. We're just cooking a
steak. If you need that much help maybe you shouldn't be trying to
grill a steak.

As for the original topic...nope, I don't go out of my way to buy
grassfed or organic anything. I have had both and the "organic" label
does not justify the higher price. I cannot taste the difference.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 May 2015 12:23:50 -0700, sf > wrote:

>Anyone care to share experiences about the differences, if any, between
>> cooking grass-fed beef versus regular beef?

how about "grain fed"? I always thought
grain fed was the most tender.

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 May 2015 16:26:40 -0500, John Kuthe >
wrote:

>Grass fed IS regular beef. The corn fed crap we've been eating from
>the Food Factory is the abberance.

Omaha Steaks are "grain fed" and don't have to eat grass. That's what
makes them so tender and juicy!

http://www.omahasteaks.com/info/New-...er-Information

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 May 2015 12:23:50 -0700, sf > wrote:

>Anyone care to share experiences about the differences, if any, between
>> cooking grass-fed beef versus regular beef?

I think the term "grass fed" represents "Utility Grade Beef". I prefer
"USDA Choice". I would rather not eat a steak if it has to be the
cheap stuff.

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 May 2015 09:48:48 -0400, William > wrote:

> On Fri, 08 May 2015 12:23:50 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >Anyone care to share experiences about the differences, if any, between
> >> cooking grass-fed beef versus regular beef?

> I think the term "grass fed" represents "Utility Grade Beef". I prefer
> "USDA Choice". I would rather not eat a steak if it has to be the
> cheap stuff.

I'm not the one who posted that question, but I've been to a grass fed
beef tasting from various ranches. I can tell you there were flavor
nuances from ranch to ranch and all were tender and delicious.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 May 2015 09:40:11 -0400, William > wrote:

>On Fri, 08 May 2015 16:26:40 -0500, John Kuthe >
>wrote:
>
>>Grass fed IS regular beef. The corn fed crap we've been eating from
>>the Food Factory is the abberance.

>Omaha Steaks are "grain fed" and don't have to eat grass. That's what
>makes them so tender and juicy!
>
>http://www.omahasteaks.com/info/New-...er-Information
>

>William

Ohama Steaks are the most overpriced ridiculous way to get good beef,
and it really isn't that great anyway, just pretty good.

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 May 2015 09:32:28 -0500, John Kuthe >
wrote:

>>Omaha Steaks are "grain fed" and don't have to eat grass. That's what
>>makes them so tender and juicy!
>>
>>http://www.omahasteaks.com/info/New-...er-Information
>>

>>William
>>

>Ohama Steaks are the most overpriced ridiculous way to get good beef,
>and it really isn't that great anyway, just pretty good.
>
>John Kuthe...

Several years ago, my sister got some steaks from her husband's uncle,
the dairy farmer. They were from Holstein dairy cows 100% grass fed.
She served me a T-Bone. It was the size of a pork chop and very chewy.
If I am worried about the price, I would just as soon stroll into
Mickey D's, plop down my Dollar and have a McDouble!

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Sat, 09 May 2015 09:40:11 -0400, William > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 08 May 2015 16:26:40 -0500, John Kuthe >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Grass fed IS regular beef. The corn fed crap we've been eating from
>>>the Food Factory is the abberance.

>>Omaha Steaks are "grain fed" and don't have to eat grass. That's what
>>makes them so tender and juicy!
>>
>>http://www.omahasteaks.com/info/New-...er-Information
>>

>>William
>>

>Ohama Steaks are the most overpriced ridiculous way to get good beef,
>and it really isn't that great anyway, just pretty good.
>
>John Kuthe...

Actually they're shipped to you frozen, they're NOT fresh beef, they
are way over priced crap... they're sold to the people with more
dollars than brain cells. Stupidmarket steak is much better quality.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 May 2015 09:48:48 -0400, William > wrote:

>On Fri, 08 May 2015 12:23:50 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>Anyone care to share experiences about the differences, if any, between
>>> cooking grass-fed beef versus regular beef?

>I think the term "grass fed" represents "Utility Grade Beef". I prefer
>"USDA Choice". I would rather not eat a steak if it has to be the
>cheap stuff.

The beef raised in Central America is only grass fed... I've tried
steak in Belize, terribly dry and stringy.... much better off ordering
the gibnut.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 May 2015 07:26:39 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 09 May 2015 09:48:48 -0400, William > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 08 May 2015 12:23:50 -0700, sf > wrote:
>>
>> >Anyone care to share experiences about the differences, if any, between

>> I think the term "grass fed" represents "Utility Grade Beef". I prefer
>> "USDA Choice". I would rather not eat a steak if it has to be the
>> cheap stuff.
>>

>I'm not the one who posted that question, but I've been to a grass fed
>beef tasting from various ranches. I can tell you there were flavor
>nuances from ranch to ranch and all were tender and delicious.

That's because they served stupidmarket beef to entice people to
buy... wait'll you get your order home. The farmer who hays my
acreage markets his grass fed organic beef, I tried some, I wouldn't
buy that tasteless dry beef. He pays my taxes for the hay, he tried
to trade me beef for cash... nope, can't pay the tax collector in
beef.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 May 2015 12:34:29 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Sat, 09 May 2015 09:32:28 -0500, John Kuthe >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 09 May 2015 09:40:11 -0400, William > wrote:

>>>Omaha Steaks are "grain fed" and don't have to eat grass. That's what
>>>makes them so tender and juicy!
>>>
>>>http://www.omahasteaks.com/info/New-...er-Information
>>>

>>>William
>>>

>>Ohama Steaks are the most overpriced ridiculous way to get good beef,
>>and it really isn't that great anyway, just pretty good.
>>
>>John Kuthe...

>Actually they're shipped to you frozen, they're NOT fresh beef, they
>are way over priced crap... they're sold to the people with more
>dollars than brain cells. Stupidmarket steak is much better quality.

Fresh or frozen, Omaha Steaks are a stupid way to purchase beef. It's
entirely for people with more money than sense.

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 May 2015 08:43:47 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/9/2015 12:23 AM, Jeßus wrote:

>>> They easily get to 120+ resting five minutes.

>> I find this fixation on specific temperatures a little amusing. I've
>> never once known what temps I use, other than just a visual idea of
>> how hot a pan or grill might be. It's been years since I cooked a
>> steak where I thought I could have done better.
>>

>It's a little strange. When I grill a steak, I look at it, touch it,
>determine whether or not it needs a little more cooking. I can also
>tell by the juices it extrudes.

That's pretty much what I do, it works for me and I personally like
rare to medium rare.

>Thermo-pens? A thermometer is great
>for a roast in the oven but for a steak on the stovetop or a grill?
>Overkill. It's not like we're performing surgery. We're just cooking a
>steak. If you need that much help maybe you shouldn't be trying to
>grill a steak.
>
>As for the original topic...nope, I don't go out of my way to buy
>grassfed or organic anything. I have had both and the "organic" label
>does not justify the higher price. I cannot taste the difference.

Grass fed is the default here, grain fed or 'feedlot' beef is
nonexistent here (to my knowledge). I *have* had grain fed beef before
though on the mainland and to me it's a little blander and fattier
than grass fed. There's all sorts of variables though, so that is a
generalisation really.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/9/2015 7:40 AM, William wrote:
> On Fri, 08 May 2015 16:26:40 -0500, John Kuthe >
> wrote:
>
>> Grass fed IS regular beef. The corn fed crap we've been eating from
>> the Food Factory is the abberance.

> Omaha Steaks are "grain fed" and don't have to eat grass. That's what
> makes them so tender and juicy!
>
> http://www.omahasteaks.com/info/New-...er-Information
>

> William

And they are darned spendy too!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 8:48:52 AM UTC-5, BigC300 wrote:
> On Fri, 08 May 2015 12:23:50 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >Anyone care to share experiences about the differences, if any, between
> >> cooking grass-fed beef versus regular beef?

> I think the term "grass fed" represents "Utility Grade Beef". I prefer
> "USDA Choice". I would rather not eat a steak if it has to be the
> cheap stuff.

While is unlikely that grass fed beef would meet the criteria for Choice,
calling it Utility Grade is a major exaggeration, and many folks consider
the taste difference, and/or the superior fatty acid profile of grass fed
beef desirable, and of higher quality than Choice, corn fed beef.

> William

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 May 2015 09:48:48 -0400, William > wrote:

>On Fri, 08 May 2015 12:23:50 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>Anyone care to share experiences about the differences, if any, between
>>> cooking grass-fed beef versus regular beef?

>I think the term "grass fed" represents "Utility Grade Beef". I prefer
>"USDA Choice". I would rather not eat a steak if it has to be the
>cheap stuff.

I can't see how grass fed beef would be cheap or 'utility grade'?
What the hell do you lot do to your beef over there???
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeßus > wrote:
>William > wrote:
>>sf > wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone care to share experiences about the differences, if any, between

>>I think the term "grass fed" represents "Utility Grade Beef". I prefer
>>"USDA Choice". I would rather not eat a steak if it has to be the
>>cheap stuff.

>I can't see how grass fed beef would be cheap or 'utility grade'?
>What the hell do you lot do to your beef over there???

Grass fed beef is a little like venison, even has a tich of gamyness.
The grass fed beef farmers feed grain the last week before slaughter,
otherwise no one would want to buy again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 9:09:01 PM UTC-5, Je�us wrote:
> On Sat, 09 May 2015 09:48:48 -0400, William > wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 08 May 2015 12:23:50 -0700, sf > wrote:
> >
> >>Anyone care to share experiences about the differences, if any, between

> >I think the term "grass fed" represents "Utility Grade Beef". I prefer
> >"USDA Choice". I would rather not eat a steak if it has to be the
> >cheap stuff.

> I can't see how grass fed beef would be cheap or 'utility grade'?

Grass fed beef is not as well marbled as corn fed.

> What the hell do you lot do to your beef over there???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feedlot

In feedlots, cattle are fed high levels of starch, which is not what cattle
are evolved to eat. Just like with humans, high starch results in high body
fat. USDA beef is not graded for healthfulness, and high levels of
intramuscular fat gets the beef a *higher* grade. There is a store here in St. Louis called Save-a-Lot that sells ungraded, Mexican steaks, and they *are*
cheaper. They aren't marketed as grass fed, but they obviously are. They are
leaner, and consequently, less tender, but they are both lower in fat, and the
fat itself is undoubtedly higher in Omega 3, and lower in Omega 6 (which is
good).

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Amana meats ship really good beef...and ham, cheese, etc., too. Try it for a
change if you are one who likes to try mailorder food gifts.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

>Amana meats ship really good beef...and ham, cheese, etc., too. Try it for a
>change if you are one who likes to try mailorder food gifts.

~$25/lb + shipping is way expensive for strip steak, especially
frozen:
https://www.amanameatshop.com/produc...s/Amana-Steaks

At my favorite restaurant here, a local steakhouse, I can have a full
dinner served with a one pound NY strip steak for $25... and they
serve the best 2nis. Their menu defines the difference between a NY
and KC strip, the KC includes the bone:
http://www.quarrysteakhouse.com/?page_id=16
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/10/2015 6:30 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> Amana meats ship really good beef...and ham, cheese, etc., too. Try it for a
> change if you are one who likes to try mailorder food gifts.
>
> N.

https://www.amanameatshop.com/

Good stuff?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/10/2015 8:07 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>> Amana meats ship really good beef...and ham, cheese, etc., too. Try it for a
>> change if you are one who likes to try mailorder food gifts.

> ~$25/lb + shipping is way expensive for strip steak, especially
> frozen:
> https://www.amanameatshop.com/produc...s/Amana-Steaks
>
> At my favorite restaurant here, a local steakhouse, I can have a full
> dinner served with a one pound NY strip steak for $25... and they
> serve the best 2nis. Their menu defines the difference between a NY
> and KC strip, the KC includes the bone:
> http://www.quarrysteakhouse.com/?page_id=16

WTF kind of steakhouse is this anyway Shelly?

A Group Mediumship Demonstration of Connecting to Spirits

Mother & Son Psychic Mediums
Sandy & Brian Cuthbert
Sunday, May 17
Doors Open - 11:00am