Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

Default Big Daddy's _real_ BBQ souce!

Not that sweet tomato paste sickly sweet KC glop - this is real Carolina
style BBQ souce, something to be used sparingly as a savory compliment
to proper dry rubbed ribs!

http://southern.food.com/recipe/big-...e-sauce-120492

1 cup prepared yellow mustard
1„2 cup sugar
1„4 cup light brown sugar
3„4 cup cider vinegar
1„4 cup water
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 -2 teaspoon black pepper
1„4 teaspoon cayenne
1„2 teaspoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons butter (a healthier choice use 2 tablespoons canola oil)
1 tablespoon liquid smoke (hickory flavoring)

Mix all except soy, butter and smoke. Simmer 30 minutes. Stir in
remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes. Vinegar taste may
be very strong until completely cooled. Refrigerating overnight is best
and allows flavors to blend.
Add a few drops of Louisiana Hot Sauce at the end if additional heat is
desired.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 1, 2015 at 6:06:22 PM UTC-4, W. Lohman wrote:
> Not that sweet tomato paste sickly sweet KC glop - this is real Carolina
> style BBQ souce, something to be used sparingly as a savory compliment
> to proper dry rubbed ribs!
>

> http://southern.food.com/recipe/big-...e-sauce-120492
>
> 1 cup prepared yellow mustard
> 1„2 cup sugar
> 1„4 cup light brown sugar
> 3„4 cup cider vinegar
> 1„4 cup water
> 2 tablespoons chili powder
> 1 -2 teaspoon black pepper
> 1„4 teaspoon cayenne
> 1„2 teaspoon soy sauce
> 2 tablespoons butter (a healthier choice use 2 tablespoons canola oil)
> 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (hickory flavoring)
>
> Mix all except soy, butter and smoke. Simmer 30 minutes. Stir in
> remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes. Vinegar taste may
> be very strong until completely cooled. Refrigerating overnight is best
> and allows flavors to blend.
> Add a few drops of Louisiana Hot Sauce at the end if additional heat is
> desired.

Liquid smoke? Why? Don't the ribs have enough smoke?

My two issues with bottled sauces a too sweet and too much
liquid smoke.

Being a Midwesterner, I make barbecue sauce with catsup--and
plenty of vinegar and lemon juice to cut the sweetness--flavored
with chipotle, which adds just enough smokiness for those times
when I apply it to plain old grilled chicken or pork. It's
nice in the winter to haul some of the sauce out of the freezer,
shred up some meat and have a sandwich that reminds me winter
won't last forever.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
On Friday, May 1, 2015 at 6:06:22 PM UTC-4, W. Lohman wrote:
> Not that sweet tomato paste sickly sweet KC glop - this is real Carolina
> style BBQ souce, something to be used sparingly as a savory compliment
> to proper dry rubbed ribs!
>

> http://southern.food.com/recipe/big-...e-sauce-120492
>
> 1 cup prepared yellow mustard
> 1?2 cup sugar
> 1?4 cup light brown sugar
> 3?4 cup cider vinegar
> 1?4 cup water
> 2 tablespoons chili powder
> 1 -2 teaspoon black pepper
> 1?4 teaspoon cayenne
> 1?2 teaspoon soy sauce
> 2 tablespoons butter (a healthier choice use 2 tablespoons canola oil)
> 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (hickory flavoring)
>
> Mix all except soy, butter and smoke. Simmer 30 minutes. Stir in
> remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes. Vinegar taste may
> be very strong until completely cooled. Refrigerating overnight is best
> and allows flavors to blend.
> Add a few drops of Louisiana Hot Sauce at the end if additional heat is
> desired.

Liquid smoke? Why? Don't the ribs have enough smoke?

My two issues with bottled sauces a too sweet and too much
liquid smoke.

Being a Midwesterner, I make barbecue sauce with catsup--and
plenty of vinegar and lemon juice to cut the sweetness--flavored
with chipotle, which adds just enough smokiness for those times
when I apply it to plain old grilled chicken or pork. It's
nice in the winter to haul some of the sauce out of the freezer,
shred up some meat and have a sandwich that reminds me winter
won't last forever.

Cindy Hamilton

--------

and leave out the soy sauce!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> And 1 tablespoon is a lot of liquid smoke for 3 cups of sauce. I'll
> pass.

No kidding! For 3 cups of sauce, I'd use about 1 drop of liquid smoke.
It's very concentrated and strong.

> Traditional Carolina sauce don't have any liquid smoke. That's
> reserved for Bullseye and Kraft.

For a fair simulation of eastern Carolina sauce, you can use your
favorite BBQ sauce and just add some vinegar to it.

The worst ever commercial bbq and sauce combo I've ever tried is
Lloyd's. Oh man. It's like a little bit of pork swimming in bbq sauce.
More like a bbq soup to me. Disgusting! Andy liked it though and now
he's dead.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2015 12:32 PM, Gary wrote:
> For a fair simulation of eastern Carolina sauce, you can use your
> favorite BBQ sauce and just add some vinegar to it.

When I was walking around the fairly new Publix, trying to get used to
the layout of the new store, I noticed Corky's BBQ in one of the freezer
cases. For some reason Corky's was one of the most popular BBQ joints
in Memphis. Where I worked they often had it brought in when we had
guests from other offices.

I still don't know what the big deal about Corky's was. The sauce was
very sweet. So were the "BBQ beans" [pintos in sauce] that came with
it. Fortunately when they catered they always served the sauce on the side.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 May 2015 04:08:33 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> On Friday, May 1, 2015 at 6:06:22 PM UTC-4, W. Lohman wrote:
> > Not that sweet tomato paste sickly sweet KC glop - this is real Carolina
> > style BBQ souce, something to be used sparingly as a savory compliment
> > to proper dry rubbed ribs!
> >

> > http://southern.food.com/recipe/big-...e-sauce-120492
> >
> > 1 cup prepared yellow mustard
> > 1?2 cup sugar
> > 1?4 cup light brown sugar
> > 3?4 cup cider vinegar
> > 1?4 cup water
> > 2 tablespoons chili powder
> > 1 -2 teaspoon black pepper
> > 1?4 teaspoon cayenne
> > 1?2 teaspoon soy sauce
> > 2 tablespoons butter (a healthier choice use 2 tablespoons canola oil)
> > 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (hickory flavoring)
> >
> > Mix all except soy, butter and smoke. Simmer 30 minutes. Stir in
> > remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes. Vinegar taste may
> > be very strong until completely cooled. Refrigerating overnight is best
> > and allows flavors to blend.
> > Add a few drops of Louisiana Hot Sauce at the end if additional heat is
> > desired.

> Liquid smoke? Why? Don't the ribs have enough smoke?
>
> My two issues with bottled sauces a too sweet and too much
> liquid smoke.
>
> Being a Midwesterner, I make barbecue sauce with catsup--and
> plenty of vinegar and lemon juice to cut the sweetness--flavored
> with chipotle, which adds just enough smokiness for those times
> when I apply it to plain old grilled chicken or pork. It's
> nice in the winter to haul some of the sauce out of the freezer,
> shred up some meat and have a sandwich that reminds me winter
> won't last forever.

Catsup is a bottle sauce, so it's pot, kettle, black. However I do
agree that it might be liquid smoke overkill because I use it in
drops, not by the teaspoon or tablespoon - but what bottled sauce are
you talking about - the mustard and soy? It's a mustard based BBQ
sauce (not catsup based) and not as objectionable as many I've seen
either! The sugar and vinegar are well balanced, not too sour. It's
up to the maker to adjust the flavor, but we don't like a vinegary (or
sweet for that matter) BBQ sauce at my house. I'd have to mix it and
taste it before I decided if it was too "something" although I know
I'd cut back on the smoke and X out the chili powder for sure.

In any case, if you're objecting to that recipe based on the use of
"bottled sauce" - you'll definitely hate mine. I think it's pretty
darned good, but I'm pleasing myself (and my family) as most
non-professional recipe writers do.

Mustardy BBQ Sauce
by: me

½ cup CHEAP brown or yellow hot dog mustard (buy the least expensive
one you can find - brand doesn't matter): Bite me Steve Wertz
¼ cup cider vinegar
2T brown sugar
½ t cayenne
½ t black pepper
¼ t liquid smoke or ½ t smoked paprika
½ t Worcestershire sauce
2T prepared red barbecue sauce, like Bullseye (or substitute 1T ea
ketchup and molasses)

Mix everything together and set aside.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2015 9:22 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 2 May 2015 04:08:33 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> Liquid smoke? Why? Don't the ribs have enough smoke?

> And 1 tablespoon is a lot of liquid smoke for 3 cups of sauce.

Not really.

> I'll pass. Traditional Carolina sauce don't have any liquid smoke.

This is a make at home version of the original Big Daddy's (now defunct)
souce..

Read the text, fool.

> That's reserved for Bullseye and Kraft.

And every other brand of store bought souce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2015 8:11 AM, taxed and spent wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Friday, May 1, 2015 at 6:06:22 PM UTC-4, W. Lohman wrote:
>> Not that sweet tomato paste sickly sweet KC glop - this is real Carolina
>> style BBQ souce, something to be used sparingly as a savory compliment
>> to proper dry rubbed ribs!
>>

>> http://southern.food.com/recipe/big-...e-sauce-120492
>>
>> 1 cup prepared yellow mustard
>> 1?2 cup sugar
>> 1?4 cup light brown sugar
>> 3?4 cup cider vinegar
>> 1?4 cup water
>> 2 tablespoons chili powder
>> 1 -2 teaspoon black pepper
>> 1?4 teaspoon cayenne
>> 1?2 teaspoon soy sauce
>> 2 tablespoons butter (a healthier choice use 2 tablespoons canola oil)
>> 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (hickory flavoring)
>>
>> Mix all except soy, butter and smoke. Simmer 30 minutes. Stir in
>> remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes. Vinegar taste may
>> be very strong until completely cooled. Refrigerating overnight is best
>> and allows flavors to blend.
>> Add a few drops of Louisiana Hot Sauce at the end if additional heat is
>> desired.

> Liquid smoke? Why? Don't the ribs have enough smoke?
>
> My two issues with bottled sauces a too sweet and too much
> liquid smoke.
>
> Being a Midwesterner, I make barbecue sauce with catsup--and
> plenty of vinegar and lemon juice to cut the sweetness--flavored
> with chipotle, which adds just enough smokiness for those times
> when I apply it to plain old grilled chicken or pork. It's
> nice in the winter to haul some of the sauce out of the freezer,
> shred up some meat and have a sandwich that reminds me winter
> won't last forever.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> --------
>
> and leave out the soy sauce!

No.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2015 5:08 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, May 1, 2015 at 6:06:22 PM UTC-4, W. Lohman wrote:
>> Not that sweet tomato paste sickly sweet KC glop - this is real Carolina
>> style BBQ souce, something to be used sparingly as a savory compliment
>> to proper dry rubbed ribs!
>>

>> http://southern.food.com/recipe/big-...e-sauce-120492
>>
>> 1 cup prepared yellow mustard
>> 1„2 cup sugar
>> 1„4 cup light brown sugar
>> 3„4 cup cider vinegar
>> 1„4 cup water
>> 2 tablespoons chili powder
>> 1 -2 teaspoon black pepper
>> 1„4 teaspoon cayenne
>> 1„2 teaspoon soy sauce
>> 2 tablespoons butter (a healthier choice use 2 tablespoons canola oil)
>> 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (hickory flavoring)
>>
>> Mix all except soy, butter and smoke. Simmer 30 minutes. Stir in
>> remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes. Vinegar taste may
>> be very strong until completely cooled. Refrigerating overnight is best
>> and allows flavors to blend.
>> Add a few drops of Louisiana Hot Sauce at the end if additional heat is
>> desired.

> Liquid smoke? Why? Don't the ribs have enough smoke?

Because it's a make at home version of Big Daddy's original souce.

> My two issues with bottled sauces a too sweet and too much
> liquid smoke.
>
> Being a Midwesterner, I make barbecue sauce with catsup--and
> plenty of vinegar and lemon juice to cut the sweetness--flavored
> with chipotle, which adds just enough smokiness for those times
> when I apply it to plain old grilled chicken or pork. It's
> nice in the winter to haul some of the sauce out of the freezer,
> shred up some meat and have a sandwich that reminds me winter
> won't last forever.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Not a catsup souce fan here, that's closer to the KCQ glop Marfty
smothers his ribs in.

If you want pure Carolina you buy:

http://www.bonedoctorsbbq.com/products/

Carolina Bold BBQ souce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2015 10:32 AM, Gary wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> And 1 tablespoon is a lot of liquid smoke for 3 cups of sauce. I'll
>> pass.

> No kidding! For 3 cups of sauce, I'd use about 1 drop of liquid smoke.
> It's very concentrated and strong.

Feel free to adjust to taste, it's a recipe after all, not the 10
Commandments.

>> Traditional Carolina sauce don't have any liquid smoke. That's
>> reserved for Bullseye and Kraft.

> For a fair simulation of eastern Carolina sauce, you can use your
> favorite BBQ sauce and just add some vinegar to it.

Or go to:

http://www.bonedoctorsbbq.com/products/

> The worst ever commercial bbq and sauce combo I've ever tried is
> Lloyd's. Oh man. It's like a little bit of pork swimming in bbq sauce.
> More like a bbq soup to me. Disgusting! Andy liked it though and now
> he's dead.
>
> G.

Lol.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2015 12:30 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 2 May 2015 04:08:33 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>> On Friday, May 1, 2015 at 6:06:22 PM UTC-4, W. Lohman wrote:
>>> Not that sweet tomato paste sickly sweet KC glop - this is real Carolina
>>> style BBQ souce, something to be used sparingly as a savory compliment
>>> to proper dry rubbed ribs!
>>>

>>> http://southern.food.com/recipe/big-...e-sauce-120492
>>>
>>> 1 cup prepared yellow mustard
>>> 1?2 cup sugar
>>> 1?4 cup light brown sugar
>>> 3?4 cup cider vinegar
>>> 1?4 cup water
>>> 2 tablespoons chili powder
>>> 1 -2 teaspoon black pepper
>>> 1?4 teaspoon cayenne
>>> 1?2 teaspoon soy sauce
>>> 2 tablespoons butter (a healthier choice use 2 tablespoons canola oil)
>>> 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (hickory flavoring)
>>>
>>> Mix all except soy, butter and smoke. Simmer 30 minutes. Stir in
>>> remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes. Vinegar taste may
>>> be very strong until completely cooled. Refrigerating overnight is best
>>> and allows flavors to blend.
>>> Add a few drops of Louisiana Hot Sauce at the end if additional heat is
>>> desired.

>> Liquid smoke? Why? Don't the ribs have enough smoke?
>>
>> My two issues with bottled sauces a too sweet and too much
>> liquid smoke.
>>
>> Being a Midwesterner, I make barbecue sauce with catsup--and
>> plenty of vinegar and lemon juice to cut the sweetness--flavored
>> with chipotle, which adds just enough smokiness for those times
>> when I apply it to plain old grilled chicken or pork. It's
>> nice in the winter to haul some of the sauce out of the freezer,
>> shred up some meat and have a sandwich that reminds me winter
>> won't last forever.
>>

> Catsup is a bottle sauce, so it's pot, kettle, black. However I do
> agree that it might be liquid smoke overkill because I use it in
> drops, not by the teaspoon or tablespoon - but what bottled sauce are
> you talking about - the mustard and soy?

It cooks down, but there's no reason not to adjust to a TSP. or less to
taste.

> It's a mustard based BBQ
> sauce (not catsup based) and not as objectionable as many I've seen
> either! The sugar and vinegar are well balanced, not too sour. It's
> up to the maker to adjust the flavor, but we don't like a vinegary (or
> sweet for that matter) BBQ sauce at my house. I'd have to mix it and
> taste it before I decided if it was too "something" although I know
> I'd cut back on the smoke and X out the chili powder for sure.

It's all about what works for you.

This is just a make at home of the now defunct Big Daddy's souce.

> In any case, if you're objecting to that recipe based on the use of
> "bottled sauce" - you'll definitely hate mine. I think it's pretty
> darned good, but I'm pleasing myself (and my family) as most
> non-professional recipe writers do.
>
> Mustardy BBQ Sauce
> by: me
>
> ½ cup CHEAP brown or yellow hot dog mustard (buy the least expensive
> one you can find - brand doesn't matter): Bite me Steve Wertz
> ¼ cup cider vinegar
> 2T brown sugar
> ½ t cayenne
> ½ t black pepper
> ¼ t liquid smoke or ½ t smoked paprika
> ½ t Worcestershire sauce
> 2T prepared red barbecue sauce, like Bullseye (or substitute 1T ea
> ketchup and molasses)
>
> Mix everything together and set aside.

That also looks darned tasty.

Ever try:

http://www.saltlickbbq.com/products/...ottles%29.html

Some of _the best_ souce ever bottled!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 May 2015 13:36:55 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:

> > Mix everything together and set aside.

> That also looks darned tasty.

TY

> Ever try:
>
> http://www.saltlickbbq.com/products/...ottles%29.html
>
> Some of _the best_ souce ever bottled!

Never heard of it, but that's not a first.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2015 4:41 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 02 May 2015 13:36:55 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:
>
>>> Mix everything together and set aside.

>> That also looks darned tasty.

> TY
>>
>> Ever try:
>>
>> http://www.saltlickbbq.com/products/...ottles%29.html
>>
>> Some of _the best_ souce ever bottled!

> Never heard of it, but that's not a first.

They have a fine restaurant operation and I seriously recommend this
stuff if you like a mustard-based souce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 May 2015 22:58:01 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:

> > My BBQ is great.

> Good.
>
> > It don't need no sauce.

> Texas style?

I thought Texas style was a gloppy red sauce.

> > Sauce is for covering up crappy meat.

> I tend to agree.

Wait a minute. Sauceless meat? When did this start being a "thing"?
That will make my husband very happy because he wants his meat
sauceless and light on the smoke because he wants to taste the meat.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sat, 02 May 2015 22:58:01 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:
>
> > > My BBQ is great.

> > Good.
> >
> > > It don't need no sauce.

> > Texas style?

> I thought Texas style was a gloppy red sauce.

Kansas City style is the "gloppy red sauce."
I do believe that Texas style only uses a dry rub. And on beef, not
pork. I could be somewhat wrong though - I didn't look it up.

Eastern Carolina style uses a vinegar base and it not so red or gloppy
and uses pork. This is what I like. Never tried the Texas style.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 2, 2015 at 2:30:34 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 2 May 2015 04:08:33 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> > On Friday, May 1, 2015 at 6:06:22 PM UTC-4, W. Lohman wrote:
> > > Not that sweet tomato paste sickly sweet KC glop - this is real Carolina
> > > style BBQ souce, something to be used sparingly as a savory compliment
> > > to proper dry rubbed ribs!
> > >

> > > http://southern.food.com/recipe/big-...e-sauce-120492
> > >
> > > 1 cup prepared yellow mustard
> > > 1?2 cup sugar
> > > 1?4 cup light brown sugar
> > > 3?4 cup cider vinegar
> > > 1?4 cup water
> > > 2 tablespoons chili powder
> > > 1 -2 teaspoon black pepper
> > > 1?4 teaspoon cayenne
> > > 1?2 teaspoon soy sauce
> > > 2 tablespoons butter (a healthier choice use 2 tablespoons canola oil)
> > > 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (hickory flavoring)
> > >
> > > Mix all except soy, butter and smoke. Simmer 30 minutes. Stir in
> > > remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes. Vinegar taste may
> > > be very strong until completely cooled. Refrigerating overnight is best
> > > and allows flavors to blend.
> > > Add a few drops of Louisiana Hot Sauce at the end if additional heat is
> > > desired.

> > Liquid smoke? Why? Don't the ribs have enough smoke?
> >
> > My two issues with bottled sauces a too sweet and too much
> > liquid smoke.
> >
> > Being a Midwesterner, I make barbecue sauce with catsup--and
> > plenty of vinegar and lemon juice to cut the sweetness--flavored
> > with chipotle, which adds just enough smokiness for those times
> > when I apply it to plain old grilled chicken or pork. It's
> > nice in the winter to haul some of the sauce out of the freezer,
> > shred up some meat and have a sandwich that reminds me winter
> > won't last forever.
> >

> Catsup is a bottle sauce, so it's pot, kettle, black. However I do
> agree that it might be liquid smoke overkill because I use it in
> drops, not by the teaspoon or tablespoon - but what bottled sauce are
> you talking about - the mustard and soy?

No, commercial sauces like Open Pit, Bullseye, and so forth. I just
mentioned them to illustrate that I don't like sweet sauces that have
too much liquid smoke in them.

> It's a mustard based BBQ
> sauce (not catsup based) and not as objectionable as many I've seen
> either! The sugar and vinegar are well balanced, not too sour. It's
> up to the maker to adjust the flavor, but we don't like a vinegary (or
> sweet for that matter) BBQ sauce at my house. I'd have to mix it and
> taste it before I decided if it was too "something" although I know
> I'd cut back on the smoke and X out the chili powder for sure.
>
> In any case, if you're objecting to that recipe based on the use of
> "bottled sauce" - you'll definitely hate mine. I think it's pretty
> darned good, but I'm pleasing myself (and my family) as most
> non-professional recipe writers do.

My only objection was to the liquid smoke. I've tried mustard
sauces, and while they're pleasant in their own way, my preference
is for tomato-based sauces.

> Mustardy BBQ Sauce
> by: me
>
> ½ cup CHEAP brown or yellow hot dog mustard (buy the least expensive
> one you can find - brand doesn't matter): Bite me Steve Wertz
> ¼ cup cider vinegar
> 2T brown sugar
> ½ t cayenne
> ½ t black pepper
> ¼ t liquid smoke or ½ t smoked paprika
> ½ t Worcestershire sauce
> 2T prepared red barbecue sauce, like Bullseye (or substitute 1T ea
> ketchup and molasses)

Well, 2T of prepared sauce in this recipe certainly wouldn't
overwhelm me with smoke, nor would the 1/4 t of liquid smoke.

I reckon it's time to put forth my recipe, so that partisans
of other styles can mock me without mercy.

I never make it in quantities this small, but it's easy
to scale up.

1 small onion, minced
enough oil to sauté the onion
1 cup catsup
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar (which I sometimes omit)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
a couple cloves of garlic, smashed (or more)
powdered chipotle pepper, as much as you like (for me, a fair amount)

Sautee the onions and garlic; add the other ingredients and cook
down until thickened. The result should be tangy and spicy.

From my notes on the recipe card, I usually make about a gallon
at a time. I've got a couple of quarts in the freezer right now.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 May 2015 08:14:24 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:

> > > Good.

> > > Texas style?

> > I thought Texas style was a gloppy red sauce.

> Kansas City style is the "gloppy red sauce."
> I do believe that Texas style only uses a dry rub. And on beef, not
> pork. I could be somewhat wrong though - I didn't look it up.
>
> Eastern Carolina style uses a vinegar base and it not so red or gloppy
> and uses pork. This is what I like. Never tried the Texas style.

I ate at one BBQ spot in Maine (of all places) that was excellent.
She BBQ'd an entire pig to pull (very North Carolina, from what I
understand) everyday and had an array of sauces on the table to choose
from. I tried them all and decided I liked her version the best.
That gave me permission to go home and make up one that I liked rather
than be a slave to some regional "style". Hubby doesn't like BBQ
sauce of any kind on his meat, so I do it just with rub and just add
sauce to my portion at the very end. It's on the heat long enough to
not be wet anymore, but it's not on long enough to burn.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2015 1:46 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 02 May 2015 22:58:01 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:
>
>>> My BBQ is great.

>> Good.
>>
>>> It don't need no sauce.

>> Texas style?

> I thought Texas style was a gloppy red sauce.

Texas style is, ftmp, no souce at all.

Or it goes on the side.

Here's a good read on the variety of souces in Tejas:

http://www.tmbbq.com/all-about-the-sauce/

There’s enormous variation in what we pour on our barbecue across the
state, but most of it comes down to tomatoes, vinegar, spices, and some
sort of sweetener. Even though we’re a long way from South Carolina,
adding mustard is also plenty acceptable. Recently we’ve even taken to
adding espresso, a la Franklin Barbecue’s famous concoction. (Not far
behind on the caffeine trail were Killen’s Barbecue, in Pearland, and
Cattleack Barbecue, in Dallas.) Maybe we’ve marked the start of the
espresso trend, or maybe peaches and pineapple will be the next big
thing (I hope not). Either way, unless you’re at that one joint in
Lockhart, Texans can rest easy knowing that a hefty helping of barbecue
sauce won’t be too hard to find–if you want it, that is.

>>> Sauce is for covering up crappy meat.

>> I tend to agree.

> Wait a minute. Sauceless meat? When did this start being a "thing"?

For the longest time.

Kreuz market - all the great Hill Country brisket joints - no souce,
just salt and pepper rub and smoked meat.

> That will make my husband very happy because he wants his meat
> sauceless and light on the smoke because he wants to taste the meat.

He will be well served by Tejas brisket then.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2015 6:14 AM, Gary wrote:
> sf wrote:

>>> Good.

>>> Texas style?

>> I thought Texas style was a gloppy red sauce.

> Kansas City style is the "gloppy red sauce."
> I do believe that Texas style only uses a dry rub. And on beef, not
> pork. I could be somewhat wrong though - I didn't look it up.

That is the preferred way to cook brisket - and it's usually just salt
and pepper for the rub.

> Eastern Carolina style uses a vinegar base and it not so red or gloppy
> and uses pork. This is what I like. Never tried the Texas style.

There are two Carolina vinegar souces.

The mustard based one (eastern) and the tomato/pepper vinegar one (western).

Here's a great read on the variety of souces in Tejas which mostly are
served on the side:

http://www.tmbbq.com/all-about-the-sauce/

There’s enormous variation in what we pour on our barbecue across the
state, but most of it comes down to tomatoes, vinegar, spices, and some
sort of sweetener. Even though we’re a long way from South Carolina,
adding mustard is also plenty acceptable. Recently we’ve even taken to
adding espresso, a la Franklin Barbecue’s famous concoction. (Not far
behind on the caffeine trail were Killen’s Barbecue, in Pearland, and
Cattleack Barbecue, in Dallas.) Maybe we’ve marked the start of the
espresso trend, or maybe peaches and pineapple will be the next big
thing (I hope not). Either way, unless you’re at that one joint in
Lockhart, Texans can rest easy knowing that a hefty helping of barbecue
sauce won’t be too hard to find–if you want it, that is.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2015 2:52 AM, Thomas Prufer wrote:
> On Fri, 01 May 2015 16:06:01 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:
>
>> Not that sweet tomato paste sickly sweet KC glop - this is real Carolina
>> style BBQ souce, something to be used sparingly as a savory compliment
>> to proper dry rubbed ribs!
>>

>> http://southern.food.com/recipe/big-...e-sauce-120492
>>
>> 1 cup prepared yellow mustard
>> 1?2 cup sugar
>> 1?4 cup light brown sugar
>> 3?4 cup cider vinegar
>> 1?4 cup water
>> 2 tablespoons chili powder
>> 1 -2 teaspoon black pepper
>> 1?4 teaspoon cayenne
>> 1?2 teaspoon soy sauce
>> 2 tablespoons butter (a healthier choice use 2 tablespoons canola oil)
>> 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (hickory flavoring)
>>
>> Mix all except soy, butter and smoke. Simmer 30 minutes. Stir in
>> remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes. Vinegar taste may
>> be very strong until completely cooled. Refrigerating overnight is best
>> and allows flavors to blend.
>> Add a few drops of Louisiana Hot Sauce at the end if additional heat is
>> desired.

> Ok, I tried it. My guests liked it.

Awesome!

> Some notes:
>
> First, I'd hate to try "sweet tomato paste sickly sweet KC glop" because this
> already has *plenty* of sugar. I think it's too sweet, way too sweet -- but
> that's easy to fix. And the sugary sauce tended to stick to the bottom of the
> pot when cooking. Oh, and I left out the liquid smoke.

Others felt it was overkill too.

> Second -- what's the "chili powder"? A lot of recipes call for this, and
> sometimes it means "the dried, pulverized fruit of one or more varieties of
> chili pepper", and sometimes it means "mostly cumin and some other spices but no
> heat".

I use any good quality chili powder from the Mexican spices section of
my grocery store.

My preferences there change, sometimes it's guajillo, other times just
basic red.

> And there I was, with a little time to spare, and tossed together this sauce. I
> had just added a first heaping tablespoonful of red chili flakes, which looked
> like plenty for the amount of sauce. I read on, and thought, "oh, rats, that
> meant the cumin stuff" because there is this 1/4 teaspoon cayenne further down,
> and "cayenne" pretty much describes what I'd just added.

It's cool to play around and see how it works.

I have added a small can of pineapple juice to this before and found it
rounds the flavor out nicely.

> But it was OK, because here, a few drops of Louisiana in over a cupful of sauce
> doesn't add any heat...
>

> Thomas Prufer

Good deal, glad you liked it.

I've got another souce recipe that uses some coffee I think I'll post up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2015 4:33 PM, W. Lohman wrote:

>> Eastern Carolina style uses a vinegar base and it not so red or gloppy
>> and uses pork. This is what I like. Never tried the Texas style.

> There are two Carolina vinegar souces.
>
> The mustard based one (eastern) and the tomato/pepper vinegar one
> (western).

Three types. The mustard based is South Carolina. Eastern is cider
vinegar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2015 1:44 PM, sf wrote:

> That gave me permission to go home and make up one that I liked rather
> than be a slave to some regional "style". Hubby doesn't like BBQ
> sauce of any kind on his meat, so I do it just with rub and just add
> sauce to my portion at the very end. It's on the heat long enough to
> not be wet anymore, but it's not on long enough to burn.

I vary depending on the mood. Really well cooked meat does not need
sauce, but at times a little can enhance. When I make pulled pork I put
a little vinegar sauce, very light. Ribs and brisket usually get none,
if they do, it is added later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 May 2015 20:14:52 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On 5/3/2015 1:44 PM, sf wrote:
>

> > That gave me permission to go home and make up one that I liked rather
> > than be a slave to some regional "style". Hubby doesn't like BBQ
> > sauce of any kind on his meat, so I do it just with rub and just add
> > sauce to my portion at the very end. It's on the heat long enough to
> > not be wet anymore, but it's not on long enough to burn.
> >

> I vary depending on the mood. Really well cooked meat does not need
> sauce, but at times a little can enhance. When I make pulled pork I put
> a little vinegar sauce, very light. Ribs and brisket usually get none,
> if they do, it is added later.

I haven't smoked a brisket yet, but I definitely like BBQ sauce baked
onto my ribs. Pulled pork is sauced afterward though - I do sauce,
hubby doesn't. I've decided I'd rather braise a shoulder/butt in beer
than smoke it because the leftovers are much more versatile that way,
but I'd like to try your vinegar baste sometime. Would you please
share the recipe?

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2015 5:57 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/3/2015 4:33 PM, W. Lohman wrote:
>

>>> Eastern Carolina style uses a vinegar base and it not so red or gloppy
>>> and uses pork. This is what I like. Never tried the Texas style.

>> There are two Carolina vinegar souces.
>>
>> The mustard based one (eastern) and the tomato/pepper vinegar one
>> (western).

> Three types. The mustard based is South Carolina. Eastern is cider
> vinegar.

They verge then.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2015 9:27 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> <waving enthusiastically>

Humping your own leg again

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 1, 2015 at 6:06:22 PM UTC-4, W. Lohman wrote:
> Not that sweet tomato paste sickly sweet KC glop - this is real Carolina
> style BBQ souce, something to be used sparingly as a savory compliment

Wow, I never thought the word sauce was so difficult to spell
correctly. Ignoring spell check, ftw.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 May 2015 14:25:06 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:

> On 5/3/2015 1:46 AM, sf wrote:
>
> He will be well served by Tejas brisket then.

Truth be told, we prefer pork.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2015 12:29 AM, sf wrote:

> I haven't smoked a brisket yet, but I definitely like BBQ sauce baked
> onto my ribs. Pulled pork is sauced afterward though - I do sauce,
> hubby doesn't. I've decided I'd rather braise a shoulder/butt in beer
> than smoke it because the leftovers are much more versatile that way,
> but I'd like to try your vinegar baste sometime. Would you please
> share the recipe?

I don't know the measurements. I just put together the ingredients and
taste.

Cider vinegar
salt
black pepper
red pepper if you want more spice
You can dilute with a little water and/or make it less tart with a
little sugar.

Heat in a small pot, but don't bring it to a boil. The salt will
dissolve but the pepper will not so stir when using to keep in in
suspension.

I know a couple of people that always add sugar, but I know a couple of
others that think adding is a sin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2015 12:11 AM, Jezebel wrote:
> On Friday, May 1, 2015 at 6:06:22 PM UTC-4, W. Lohman wrote:
>> Not that sweet tomato paste sickly sweet KC glop - this is real Carolina
>> style BBQ souce, something to be used sparingly as a savory compliment

> Wow, I never thought the word sauce was so difficult to spell
> correctly. Ignoring spell check, ftw.

This is known as a "Saukism" - as such the spelling is idiomatically
correct, albeit not literally so.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2015 12:22 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 03 May 2015 14:25:06 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:
>
>> On 5/3/2015 1:46 AM, sf wrote:
>>
>> He will be well served by Tejas brisket then.

> Truth be told, we prefer pork.

Carolina it is then!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 May 2015 11:17:58 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On 5/4/2015 12:29 AM, sf wrote:
>

> > I haven't smoked a brisket yet, but I definitely like BBQ sauce baked
> > onto my ribs. Pulled pork is sauced afterward though - I do sauce,
> > hubby doesn't. I've decided I'd rather braise a shoulder/butt in beer
> > than smoke it because the leftovers are much more versatile that way,
> > but I'd like to try your vinegar baste sometime. Would you please
> > share the recipe?
> >

> I don't know the measurements. I just put together the ingredients and
> taste.
>
> Cider vinegar
> salt
> black pepper
> red pepper if you want more spice
> You can dilute with a little water and/or make it less tart with a
> little sugar.
>
> Heat in a small pot, but don't bring it to a boil. The salt will
> dissolve but the pepper will not so stir when using to keep in in
> suspension.
>
> I know a couple of people that always add sugar, but I know a couple of
> others that think adding is a sin.

Thanks, I'd need to add some sugar because hubby doesn't like the
taste of straight vinegar.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 May 2015 09:41:32 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:

> On 5/4/2015 12:22 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 03 May 2015 14:25:06 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:
> >
> >> On 5/3/2015 1:46 AM, sf wrote:
> >>
> >> He will be well served by Tejas brisket then.

> > Truth be told, we prefer pork.
> >

> Carolina it is then!

Okey dokey.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/4/2015 10:18 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 04 May 2015 09:41:32 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:

>>> Truth be told, we prefer pork.
>>>

>> Carolina it is then!

> Okey dokey.

The apple of your pig's eye?

I say as long as he makes good cracklin' it is ALL going to be good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 5/2/2015 12:32 PM, Gary wrote:
> > For a fair simulation of eastern Carolina sauce, you can use your
> > favorite BBQ sauce and just add some vinegar to it.

Sauer's bbq sauce is the best to add some vinegar to. About 1/1 ratio.

> For some reason Corky's was one of the most popular BBQ joints
> in Memphis.

Best here in eastern Virginia is Pierces BBQ
Everyone around here seems to know about them.
They sometimes appear on various "top bbq" lists.
I discovered them in 1972 (the year before I moved to Virginia Beach
from the Washington DC area). 3 out of 4 weekends, I would drive down
to VA.Beach for the weekend. I would always stop there and buy 4-5 of
them to munch on for the rest of the drive (another 1.5 hours). BBQ
and cole slaw on a soft bun. YUM! And their sauce recipe is to die
for.

http://www.pierces.com/menu.php?cat=2

heheh I used to get those for $1.00 each but it's been 43 years now
so the higher price is certainly justified.

> I still don't know what the big deal about Corky's was. The sauce was
> very sweet. So were the "BBQ beans" [pintos in sauce] that came with
> it.

When I make "baked beans," I'll buy any brand cans of pork and beans
then enhance them. I'll add onions, green pepper, dry mustard powder,
and some brown sugar. I love the taste but not all do.

Oh well, those are my two stories and I'll stick with them. Can't
change history, right?

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I reckon it's time to put forth my recipe, so that partisans
> of other styles can mock me without mercy.
>
> I never make it in quantities this small, but it's easy
> to scale up.
>
> 1 small onion, minced
> enough oil to sauté the onion
> 1 cup catsup
> 2 tablespoons lemon juice
> 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
> 2 tablespoons brown sugar (which I sometimes omit)
> 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
> 1 teaspoon dry mustard
> a couple cloves of garlic, smashed (or more)
> powdered chipotle pepper, as much as you like (for me, a fair amount)
>
> Sautee the onions and garlic; add the other ingredients and cook
> down until thickened. The result should be tangy and spicy.
>
> From my notes on the recipe card, I usually make about a gallon
> at a time. I've got a couple of quarts in the freezer right now.

This sounds very worth trying, Cindy. Saved it in my recipe folder.
:-D

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 May 2015 05:38:53 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

snippadty doo dah

>I reckon it's time to put forth my recipe, so that partisans
>of other styles can mock me without mercy.
>
>I never make it in quantities this small, but it's easy
>to scale up.
>
>1 small onion, minced
>enough oil to sauté the onion
>1 cup catsup
>2 tablespoons lemon juice
>2 tablespoons cider vinegar
>2 tablespoons brown sugar (which I sometimes omit)
>2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
>1 teaspoon dry mustard
>a couple cloves of garlic, smashed (or more)
>powdered chipotle pepper, as much as you like (for me, a fair amount)
>
>Sautee the onions and garlic; add the other ingredients and cook
>down until thickened. The result should be tangy and spicy.
>
>From my notes on the recipe card, I usually make about a gallon
>at a time. I've got a couple of quarts in the freezer right now.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Looks wonderful. Copied and saved

koko

James Beard