Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Is there a way to slice meat thinly as luncheon meat at home?

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 11:11:10 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:

> On 4/23/2015 10:11 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 07:54:07 -0700, "taxed and spent"
> > > wrote:

> >> here is an example where size matters.
> >>

> > Ah, yes. There he goes again, pretending the general public can waltz
> > in and shop at Restaurant Depot on a whim. At least Marty enters BBQ
> > competitions and got his non-profit number honestly.

> Oh puleeze, Marty has a license to over-souce good meat, he's been
> enabled by the state to ruin good ribs.
>
> > FYI: *Restaurant Depot is wholesale only. To qualify for a free
> > membership account, on your first visit you need to show a valid
> > reseller's permit (business license) or tax-exempt certificate (for a
> > non-profit organization) and show proof that you are authorized to
> > purchase for said business or organization.

> There are non-wholesale restaurant supply stores too.

Are you talking about Sysco? He pimps Restaurant Depot on a regular
basis - probably more times than I see copied.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/23/2015 11:37 AM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 11:11:10 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:
>
>> On 4/23/2015 10:11 AM, sf wrote:
>>> On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 07:54:07 -0700, "taxed and spent"

>>> Ah, yes. There he goes again, pretending the general public can waltz
>>> in and shop at Restaurant Depot on a whim. At least Marty enters BBQ
>>> competitions and got his non-profit number honestly.

>> Oh puleeze, Marty has a license to over-souce good meat, he's been
>> enabled by the state to ruin good ribs.
>>
>>> FYI: *Restaurant Depot is wholesale only. To qualify for a free
>>> membership account, on your first visit you need to show a valid
>>> reseller's permit (business license) or tax-exempt certificate (for a
>>> non-profit organization) and show proof that you are authorized to
>>> purchase for said business or organization.

>> There are non-wholesale restaurant supply stores too.

> Are you talking about Sysco? He pimps Restaurant Depot on a regular
> basis - probably more times than I see copied.

That and also the commercial Costco in some cities.

Regular members can shop there as well as wholesale ones.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 12:18:51 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:

> >> There are non-wholesale restaurant supply stores too.

> > Are you talking about Sysco? He pimps Restaurant Depot on a regular
> > basis - probably more times than I see copied.
> >

> That and also the commercial Costco in some cities.
>
> Regular members can shop there as well as wholesale ones.

True, but Costco is not a place where just anyone can waltz in off the
street to shop. You need to pay for a membership first. I don't
think they are giving day passes for cash customers anymore, but I've
heard about non-members shopping with gift cards. What it means is
they aren't welcoming every Tom, Dick & Harry with open arms like your
local retail grocery or clothing store does... to say nothing of the
massive quantities you need to buy if/when you do shop for groceries
there. For instance: I'm not interested in buying a whole pig.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message speaking of Sheldon

> It's pretty simple: he's in lust and inference isn't his strong point,
> so he takes every opportunity to not read between the lines and state
> the obvious as an excuse to spew his drunken fat ass comments. He's a
> pathetic old man who just needs a high five - with a chair to the
> head.
>
> --
>
> sf

LOL, I'm picturing that.

Cheri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"W. Lohman" > wrote in message
> On 4/23/2015 10:03 AM, sf wrote:

>>> Odd that Shelly doesn't wax poetic over your breasts (his normal
>>> obsession), something Freudian there perchance?

>> It's pretty simple: he's in lust and inference isn't his strong point,
>> so he takes every opportunity to not read between the lines and state
>> the obvious as an excuse to spew his drunken fat ass comments. He's a
>> pathetic old man who just needs a high five - with a chair to the
>> head.
>>

> LOL!
>
> Fact is when their pencil lead runs out all that's left is mouth.

Which could use a good bar of soap many times.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "W. Lohman" > wrote in message

>>> It's pretty simple: he's in lust and inference isn't his strong point,
>>> so he takes every opportunity to not read between the lines and state
>>> the obvious as an excuse to spew his drunken fat ass comments. He's a
>>> pathetic old man who just needs a high five - with a chair to the
>>> head.
>>>

>> LOL!
>>
>> Fact is when their pencil lead runs out all that's left is mouth.

> Which could use a good bar of soap many times.

Yep!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/23/2015 12:45 PM, sf wrote:

>>> Are you talking about Sysco? He pimps Restaurant Depot on a regular
>>> basis - probably more times than I see copied.
>>>

>> That and also the commercial Costco in some cities.
>>
>> Regular members can shop there as well as wholesale ones.

> True, but Costco is not a place where just anyone can waltz in off the
> street to shop. You need to pay for a membership first. I don't
> think they are giving day passes for cash customers anymore, but I've
> heard about non-members shopping with gift cards. What it means is
> they aren't welcoming every Tom, Dick & Harry with open arms like your
> local retail grocery or clothing store does... to say nothing of the
> massive quantities you need to buy if/when you do shop for groceries
> there. For instance: I'm not interested in buying a whole pig.

The one near me still does day passes, but your point is taken, they're
a club operation.

The dwarf can shop at this restaurant supply open to anyone:

http://www.lonestarrestaurantsupply.com/

Lone Star is your restaurant supply and restaurant equipment store.
Whether you are a restaurant operator/owner, aspiring chef, or someone
who enjoys cooking at home, we have the commercial restaurant equipment
or kitchen gadgets you are looking for.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/23/2015 1:13 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "W. Lohman" > wrote in message

>>> It's pretty simple: he's in lust and inference isn't his strong point,
>>> so he takes every opportunity to not read between the lines and state
>>> the obvious as an excuse to spew his drunken fat ass comments. He's a
>>> pathetic old man who just needs a high five - with a chair to the
>>> head.
>>>

>> LOL!
>>
>> Fact is when their pencil lead runs out all that's left is mouth.

> Which could use a good bar of soap many times.
>
> Cheri

The old ways were the best, yes.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 13:28:52 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> Some failed after 3 uses, 10 uses. Not a deli, but I'd expect much more
>>> than 1- uses.

>> I throw out those bad reviews when the overwhelming majority are
>> positive.
>> If you go by bad reviews you'll never buy anything. Learned that when
>> I was building this computer over 5 years ago.

>As I said, you have to read them. Some can be tossed out. People
>downgrade reviews for the dumbest things, like it was not the color they
>expected or the Ford bumper does not fit my Chevy.
>I also toss the five stars that say "I got it and it worked great for
>the five minutes I've used it so far" while the negative reviews state
>they are bad when the problems showed after repeated use.
>
>The other consideration is common sense. A sub $100 slicer is not going
>to perform the same as a $3500 real deli slicer, nor would I expect it
>too. .

And toss the 5-star reviews that say "It looks so good on my
countertop." Ideally, you want some reviews with long time use.
Unless they specifically say how they operated it, I will discount
motor failures too. I don't know how the reviewer handled it.
Some people are stupid enough to put it in the dishwasher.
Some people might try trimming woodwork with it, or constantly force
it beyond its capacity. Or it might be a genuine mfr defect.
That happens with the best of them.
But when more than 300 people are pleased, it's a good bet.
I'm kind of surprised that many people have meat slicers.
The thought of buying one never entered my mind, until now.
Nah.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

W. Lohman wrote:
> On 4/22/2015 3:20 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 4/22/2015 3:15 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
>>
>>> He has the answer. An Amazon meat slicer with over 300 reviews
>>> averaging 4 stars. What was it, about 60 bucks?
>>>

>> Read some of the 1 star reviews. They are really crappy for any type of
>> serious use.

> For $72 I'd not feel bad about his one, reviews say it cleans easily.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-FS-200-F...ds=meat+slicer

I bought one. I'm getting old and can't handle a knife well any more.
This unit has worked well. It takes up a lot of space, so we keep it
down the basement and only bring it up when we need to use it, which is
not that frequently.

My problem is that if you are careful when using it, it is safe. But if
your mate lacks sense of how to act safely around machinery, you don't
want to have one of these around. I was slicing some ham, and my wife
was catching the slices (I don't know why, I would just have let them
fall onto a plate). A small piece fell off and was jammed near the
blade. She reached in to remove it, without turning the machine off.
She didn't cut herself, but she sure tried. I finished the slicing and
we cleaned up the machine, which is not hard. Then I told her this was
dangerous and I didn't want it to be used unless we were both present so
I could pick up her fingers and stop the bleeding. The next day she
sliced a roast when I wasn't there. I put it into storage and told her
not to use it again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 1:34:39 AM UTC-4, Danny D. wrote:
> At a deli, they use a special meat slicer, but, is there something
> affordable we can use at home to slice luncheon meat thinly?
> https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8816/1...bf58106a_c.jpg
>
> I have my sister and her kids staying with me for a few months (don't
> ask), and we pack them a lunch every school day, so I picked up big hunks
> of Costco ham, turkey, and cheese, figuring I'd slice it up for the kids
> to make sandwiches.
> https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7700/1...64c263f4_c.jpg
>
> But I can't manually knife the stuff as thinly as they do with the
> professional rotating blade meat slicers at the supermarket.
>
> Is there a shop tool that's common that we can use to slice this meat up
> thinly? Or do I have to buy an expensive meat slicer (which is probably
> too expensive to be worthwhile)?
>
> Anyone slice their own luncheon meat thinly at home?
> What tool do you use?

Since you're into tools, how about making the equivalent of a
miter box, width-sized for the chunks of meat you want to slice,
with a narrow slot for a long, very sharp knife (which you seem
to already have)? Maybe with a pusher to move the meat (resting
on something slippery, e.g. freezer paper) a short distance at a
time?

Cheap, easy to make, lets you play with tools - what's not to like? :-)

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On 4/23/2015 2:47 PM, No name wrote:
> W. Lohman wrote:

>>> Read some of the 1 star reviews. They are really crappy for any type of
>>> serious use.

>> For $72 I'd not feel bad about his one, reviews say it cleans easily.
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-FS-200-F...ds=meat+slicer
>>

> I bought one. I'm getting old and can't handle a knife well any more.
> This unit has worked well. It takes up a lot of space, so we keep it
> down the basement and only bring it up when we need to use it, which is
> not that frequently.
>
> My problem is that if you are careful when using it, it is safe. But if
> your mate lacks sense of how to act safely around machinery, you don't
> want to have one of these around. I was slicing some ham, and my wife
> was catching the slices (I don't know why, I would just have let them
> fall onto a plate). A small piece fell off and was jammed near the
> blade. She reached in to remove it, without turning the machine off.
> She didn't cut herself, but she sure tried. I finished the slicing and
> we cleaned up the machine, which is not hard. Then I told her this was
> dangerous and I didn't want it to be used unless we were both present so
> I could pick up her fingers and stop the bleeding. The next day she
> sliced a roast when I wasn't there. I put it into storage and told her
> not to use it again.

I have a suggestion that might help:

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cut.../dp/B00170EM6A

Of course you're going to have to get on her to wear it, but...
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 15:45:31 -0500, Vic Smith
> wrote:

>>> I throw out those bad reviews when the overwhelming majority are
>>> positive.
>>> If you go by bad reviews you'll never buy anything. Learned that when
>>> I was building this computer over 5 years ago.

>>As I said, you have to read them. Some can be tossed out. People
>>downgrade reviews for the dumbest things, like it was not the color they
>>expected or the Ford bumper does not fit my Chevy.
>>I also toss the five stars that say "I got it and it worked great for
>>the five minutes I've used it so far" while the negative reviews state
>>they are bad when the problems showed after repeated use.
>>
>>The other consideration is common sense. A sub $100 slicer is not going
>>to perform the same as a $3500 real deli slicer, nor would I expect it
>>too. .

>And toss the 5-star reviews that say "It looks so good on my
>countertop." Ideally, you want some reviews with long time use.
>Unless they specifically say how they operated it, I will discount
>motor failures too. I don't know how the reviewer handled it.
>Some people are stupid enough to put it in the dishwasher.
>Some people might try trimming woodwork with it, or constantly force
>it beyond its capacity. Or it might be a genuine mfr defect.
>That happens with the best of them.
>But when more than 300 people are pleased, it's a good bet.
>I'm kind of surprised that many people have meat slicers.
>The thought of buying one never entered my mind, until now.
>Nah.

I'd buy a slicer if I owned a deli, then speed would be an issue. For
the amount of deli slicing one does in the typical home kitchen a
nicely honed carbon steel blade is very sufficient, takes little
storage space and cleans up in less time than the cutting board.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

"W. Lohman" > wrote in message

> I have a suggestion that might help:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cut.../dp/B00170EM6A
>
> Of course you're going to have to get on her to wear it, but...

They work great <g> I am a bit clumsy with some equipment so I use one too.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

No name > wrote:

>W. Lohman wrote:

>>> Read some of the 1 star reviews. They are really crappy for any type of
>>> serious use.

>> For $72 I'd not feel bad about his one, reviews say it cleans easily.
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-FS-200-F...ds=meat+slicer

What a chinky hunk-a-junk... that's a toy! If I wanted a slicer:
http://www.globeequipment.com/Commer...ipment/Slicers

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On 4/23/2015 3:50 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "W. Lohman" > wrote in message
>
>> I have a suggestion that might help:
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cut.../dp/B00170EM6A
>>

>> Of course you're going to have to get on her to wear it, but...

> They work great <g> I am a bit clumsy with some equipment so I use one
> too.

That's good to know, safety first is sound policy.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On 4/23/2015 3:53 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> No name > wrote:
>
>> W. Lohman wrote:

>>> For $72 I'd not feel bad about his one, reviews say it cleans easily.
>>>
>>> http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-FS-200-F...ds=meat+slicer

> What a chinky hunk-a-junk... that's a toy!

Yet we have reviews that it works just fine.

> If I wanted a slicer:
> http://www.globeequipment.com/Commer...ipment/Slicers

Not everyone is willing to buy a commercial deli slicer though.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> No name > wrote:
>
>>W. Lohman wrote:

>>> For $72 I'd not feel bad about his one, reviews say it cleans easily.
>>>
>>> http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-FS-200-F...ds=meat+slicer

> What a chinky hunk-a-junk... that's a toy! If I wanted a slicer:
> http://www.globeequipment.com/Commer...ipment/Slicers

Mine is pretty much like the Nesco one. It works just fine for us. We are
not a commercial kitchen

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 23:12:44 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .
>> No name > wrote:

>> What a chinky hunk-a-junk... that's a toy! If I wanted a slicer:
>> http://www.globeequipment.com/Commer...ipment/Slicers

>Mine is pretty much like the Nesco one. It works just fine for us.
>We are not a commercial kitchen

I said *IF* I wanted a slicer, I do not.
You claim to know your way around a kitchen, use a chefs knife... how
many slices do you need to make in a week that you need a machine, and
that's a child's machine. A slicing machine isn't any good for
slicing *hot* roasts anyway, tears them to shreds... every
restaurant/deli slices hot meat by hand... a slicing machine only
works well with cold meats.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/23/2015 5:45 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> Are you talking about Sysco? He pimps Restaurant Depot on a regular
>> >basis - probably more times than I see copied.

> What I explained was the difference in wholesale vs retail pricing and
> markups. That doesn't change wether I or anybody else can shop at
> Restaurant Depot or not.

Down Fang, no one ever intimated it did.

Sheesh.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 05:33:37 +0000 (UTC) in rec.food.cooking, "Danny D."
> wrote,
>At a deli, they use a special meat slicer, but, is there something
>affordable we can use at home to slice luncheon meat thinly?

I have the Harbor Freight slicer:
http://www.harborfreight.com/electri...cer-69460.html
It can be made to work if you are careful and patient. No doubt the
$2000 professional deli slicer is 100 times better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 May 2015 11:02:31 -0700, David Harmon >
wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 05:33:37 +0000 (UTC) in rec.food.cooking, "Danny D."
> wrote,
>>At a deli, they use a special meat slicer, but, is there something
>>affordable we can use at home to slice luncheon meat thinly?

>I have the Harbor Freight slicer:
>http://www.harborfreight.com/electri...cer-69460.html
>It can be made to work if you are careful and patient. No doubt the
>$2000 professional deli slicer is 100 times better.

I can slice cold cuts with a chefs knife as well as a $2,000
Professional slicer, maybe a wee bit slower is all but I can slice hot
roasts faster and better, and my only clean up is a knife and a
board... I'll be relaxing with my 2nd 2ni and you'll still be
scrubbing that bloody finger tip remover.