Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sweet potato recipe

Tried this, loved it!

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Bistro Mashed Potatoes
Categories: Potatoes, Vegetables, Mc
Yield: 10 Servings

4 md Red-skinned potatoes;
-scrubbed clean, cut in lrg
-chunks
4 md Sweet potatoes; peeled, cut
-lrg chunks
1 ts Sea salt
1/2 c Heavy cream
1/2 c Milk
6 tb Butter
Salt and fresh ground black
-pepper, to
4 tb Fresh flat-leaf parsley;
-chopped

Combine the potatoes and sweet potatoes in a large pan. (Note:
Equal-size chunks are important so they cook at the same rate.) Cover
with cold water and add the sea salt. Bring to a boil and cook until
tender when poked with a fork, about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain the
water from the pan.

Heat the cream, milk and butter over low heat; do not boil. With a
potato masher or large fork crush the potatoes in their pan, adding
the cream mixture a little at a time. Season lightly with salt and
freshly ground black pepper. Continue mashing un til the potatoes are
blended well. There should still be some chunks left, with the red
potato skins dispersed throughout. Add more cream, milk or butter if
necessary. Taste and adjust seasoning, stir in the parsley and
transfer to a serving bowl.

Per serving: 304 calories, 40 gm carbohydrates, 46 mg cholesterol,
429 mg sodium, 4 gm protein, 15 gm fat, 9 gm saturated fat

The Washington Post

NOTES : These are creamy, slightly sweet and colorful a welcome
addition to Thanksgiving dinner. Recipe by: The Washington Post
Posted to MC-Recipe Digest V1 #754 by The Meades
> on Aug 21, 1997

MMMMM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 17:13:20 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Tried this, loved it!
>
>MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05
>
> Title: Bistro Mashed Potatoes
> Categories: Potatoes, Vegetables, Mc
> Yield: 10 Servings
>
> 4 md Red-skinned potatoes;
> -scrubbed clean, cut in lrg
> -chunks
> 4 md Sweet potatoes; peeled, cut
> -lrg chunks
> 1 ts Sea salt
> 1/2 c Heavy cream
> 1/2 c Milk
> 6 tb Butter
> Salt and fresh ground black
> -pepper, to
> 4 tb Fresh flat-leaf parsley;
> -chopped

1/2 cup heavy cream and 6Tbs butter? I'll BET it was yummy!! :-)

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 17:13:20 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>

> > Tried this, loved it!
> >
> > MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05
> >
> > Title: Bistro Mashed Potatoes
> > Categories: Potatoes, Vegetables, Mc
> > Yield: 10 Servings
> >
> > 4 md Red-skinned potatoes;
> > -scrubbed clean, cut in lrg
> > -chunks
> > 4 md Sweet potatoes; peeled, cut
> > -lrg chunks
> > 1 ts Sea salt
> > 1/2 c Heavy cream
> > 1/2 c Milk
> > 6 tb Butter
> > Salt and fresh ground black
> > -pepper, to
> > 4 tb Fresh flat-leaf parsley;
> > -chopped

> 1/2 cup heavy cream and 6Tbs butter? I'll BET it was yummy!! :-)
>
> John Kuthe...

Yup! And not to terrible since it's 10 servings.

The best part is it's food related instead of the rest of the messages
here today.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 19:09:43 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>John Kuthe wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 17:13:20 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>>

>> > Tried this, loved it!
>> >
>> > MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05
>> >
>> > Title: Bistro Mashed Potatoes
>> > Categories: Potatoes, Vegetables, Mc
>> > Yield: 10 Servings
>> >
>> > 4 md Red-skinned potatoes;
>> > -scrubbed clean, cut in lrg
>> > -chunks
>> > 4 md Sweet potatoes; peeled, cut
>> > -lrg chunks
>> > 1 ts Sea salt
>> > 1/2 c Heavy cream
>> > 1/2 c Milk
>> > 6 tb Butter
>> > Salt and fresh ground black
>> > -pepper, to
>> > 4 tb Fresh flat-leaf parsley;
>> > -chopped

>> 1/2 cup heavy cream and 6Tbs butter? I'll BET it was yummy!! :-)
>>
>> John Kuthe...
>>

>Yup! And not to terrible since it's 10 servings.
>
>The best part is it's food related instead of the rest of the messages
>here today.

Sounds very yummy!

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
>John Kootchie:
>>cshenk wrote:
>>
>> > Tried this, loved it!
>> >
>> > Title: Bistro Mashed Potatoes
>> > Categories: Potatoes, Vegetables, Mc
>> > Yield: 10 Servings
>> >
>> > 4 md Red-skinned potatoes;
>> > -scrubbed clean, cut in lrg
>> > -chunks
>> > 4 md Sweet potatoes; peeled, cut
>> > -lrg chunks
>> > 1 ts Sea salt
>> > 1/2 c Heavy cream
>> > 1/2 c Milk
>> > 6 tb Butter
>> > Salt and fresh ground black
>> > -pepper, to
>> > 4 tb Fresh flat-leaf parsley;
>> > -chopped

>> 1/2 cup heavy cream and 6Tbs butter? I'll BET it was yummy!! :-)
>>
>> John Kootchie Koo... thinking to lube her anus.
>>

>Yup! And not too terrible since it's 10 servings.
>
>The best part is it's food related instead of the rest of the messages
>here today.

True... very few of the posters here have ever cooked anything...
they're kitchen frauds... they really should move to alt.bald.dr-phil

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> cshenk wrote:
> > John Kootchie:

> >> 1/2 cup heavy cream and 6Tbs butter? I'll BET it was yummy!! :-)
> >>
> >> John Kootchie Koo... thinking to lube her anus.
> >>

> > Yup! And not too terrible since it's 10 servings.
> >
> > The best part is it's food related instead of the rest of the
> > messages here today.

> True... very few of the posters here have ever cooked anything...
> they're kitchen frauds... they really should move to alt.bald.dr-phil

Oh there are some cooks here, but it does seem most posters have never
added a recipe. Quite a few seem unable to freehand a recipe.

Meantime, have you ever messed with Rogan Josh seasoning? It's a new
ne to me but the blend is supposed to work well with lamb.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 20:37:47 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> cshenk wrote:
>> > John Kootchie:

>> > Yup! And not too terrible since it's 10 servings.
>> >
>> > The best part is it's food related instead of the rest of the
>> > messages here today.

>> True... very few of the posters here have ever cooked anything...
>> they're kitchen frauds... they really should move to alt.bald.dr-phil

>Oh there are some cooks here, but it does seem most posters have never
>added a recipe. Quite a few seem unable to freehand a recipe.
>
>Meantime, have you ever messed with Rogan Josh seasoning? It's a new
>ne to me but the blend is supposed to work well with lamb.

I don't do Baaaa
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 20:37:47 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

> Meantime, have you ever messed with Rogan Josh seasoning? It's a new
> ne to me but the blend is supposed to work well with lamb.

It seems to be a British curry that has migrated over here. The dry
ingredients are off in the direction I'm taking with my generic dry
rub these days.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/18/2015 9:37 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> cshenk wrote:
>>> John Kootchie:

>>> Yup! And not too terrible since it's 10 servings.
>>>
>>> The best part is it's food related instead of the rest of the
>>> messages here today.

>> True... very few of the posters here have ever cooked anything...
>> they're kitchen frauds... they really should move to alt.bald.dr-phil

> Oh there are some cooks here, but it does seem most posters have never
> added a recipe. Quite a few seem unable to freehand a recipe.
>
> Meantime, have you ever messed with Rogan Josh seasoning? It's a new
> ne to me but the blend is supposed to work well with lamb.
>
> Carol

Sheldon doesn't eat lamb.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 20:37:47 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >> True... very few of the posters here have ever cooked anything...
> >> they're kitchen frauds... they really should move to

> alt.bald.dr-phil
> >
> > Oh there are some cooks here, but it does seem most posters have
> > never added a recipe. Quite a few seem unable to freehand a recipe.
> >
> > Meantime, have you ever messed with Rogan Josh seasoning? It's a
> > new ne to me but the blend is supposed to work well with lamb.

> I don't do Baaaa

LOL! I do but they were out of my chosen (cheap) cut yesterday so I
went a different route.

I made a chicken dish, I caught a decent sale on boneless thighs but
miscalculated freezer space. I got 3.5lbs and used 2 in this dish (the
rest is in the freezer).

It started as 'Italian-style oven dinner' but in the back of my mind
was also gumbo so it morpfed a bit. Common for me.

Heavy enameled cast iron oven pot (wish I had the lid! Came free
though so can't complain!)

3 largish baking potatoes, cut to 3rds then cross cut
1 medium onion, cut thick and rustic
1 peeled turnip, cut to 1/2 inch or so cubes
2 stalks celery cut about 1/2 inch
4 small carrots, peeled and cut to about 1.5 inches
Splash of white wine (about 1/4 cup if that)
1/2 of a boars head pepperoni sausage (call it 4oz as a bit more than
1/2)
1 can diced tomatoes with garlic, basil and oregano
4 garlic cloves, mostly cut to 3rds
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs

Layered on top one more can of diced tomatoes, parsley, black pepper,
and basil.

I covered with foil and put this on a baking tray incase of leaks.
It's baking at 350F for the next hour then will check it. Probably
will need longer as it's a large pot of food there.

I'd guess 14 large servings here but we actually plan to split off some
to a pot of true gumbo with chicken broth (just leave the potatoes
behind and add hot sauce and file powder).

If that second portion gained cooked lima beans and beets and some of a
pork butt made last week and frozen with no spicing, it will make a
sort of burgoo. I an add more chicken thighs then or 'whatever' to
even it out.

Hopefully we will see more recipes posted here. Mine may not be
perfect and this one is a trial, but it's gonna work, trust me ;-)
Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 20:37:47 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Meantime, have you ever messed with Rogan Josh seasoning? It's a
> > new ne to me but the blend is supposed to work well with lamb.

> It seems to be a British curry that has migrated over here. The dry
> ingredients are off in the direction I'm taking with my generic dry
> rub these days.

Ok! I got it over the lamb aspect. I make curry lamb all the time now
and was looking for variation. I'll try it soon though and see what i
think of it. I wonder if it might also make a decent rotisserie dry
rub but havent tried it out yet.
Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Apr 2015 12:26:07 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

> Heavy enameled cast iron oven pot (wish I had the lid! Came free
> though so can't complain!)

Do you have any lid that fits? If you don't go to the restaurant
supply and look at their universal lids. I bought a variety of sizes
back when I was first married and what I bought didn't come with a lid
- they are not pretty, but have proved invaluable throughout the
years.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 19 Apr 2015 12:26:07 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Heavy enameled cast iron oven pot (wish I had the lid! Came free
> > though so can't complain!)

> Do you have any lid that fits? If you don't go to the restaurant
> supply and look at their universal lids. I bought a variety of sizes
> back when I was first married and what I bought didn't come with a lid
> - they are not pretty, but have proved invaluable throughout the
> years.

I have none that fit that are oven safe. I can check out tuat lead but
here, they seem to oddly require you own a restraunt to shop there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Apr 2015 10:39:36 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Apr 2015 12:26:07 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> Heavy enameled cast iron oven pot (wish I had the lid! Came free
>> though so can't complain!)

>Do you have any lid that fits? If you don't go to the restaurant
>supply and look at their universal lids. I bought a variety of sizes
>back when I was first married and what I bought didn't come with a lid
>- they are not pretty, but have proved invaluable throughout the
>years.

Or go to an outdoor/camping/hunting/fishing supply store. They
usually have an enormous variety of cast iron -- you can buy lids by
themselves.
Janet US