Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Avocado oil

Saw a Good Eats episode where Alton was doing 'cados. He gave an
enthusiastic nod to avocado oil, saying it was even better,
health-wise, than OO and had a smoke point above 500 deg F. That's
some pretty tall claims! How much of this is true and what is the
price of this magic elixir? Anyone tried it? I have not.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14 Apr 2015 21:20:28 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>Saw a Good Eats episode where Alton was doing 'cados. He gave an
>enthusiastic nod to avocado oil, saying it was even better,
>health-wise, than OO and had a smoke point above 500 deg F. That's
>some pretty tall claims! How much of this is true and what is the
>price of this magic elixir? Anyone tried it? I have not.
>
>nb

Dunno about avocado oil, but I do know that avocados are like a super
food. In a nutrition class I took when the textbook had a chart
ranking vegetables on various nutrients, avocados always topped the
charts in both good and "bad" nutrients!

They are pretty yummy too! In my experience.

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14 Apr 2015 21:20:28 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>Saw a Good Eats episode where Alton was doing 'cados. He gave an
>enthusiastic nod to avocado oil, saying it was even better,
>health-wise, than OO and had a smoke point above 500 deg F. That's
>some pretty tall claims! How much of this is true and what is the
>price of this magic elixir? Anyone tried it? I have not.

Haven't tried it but have noted it's quite expensive in supermarkets.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14 Apr 2015 21:20:28 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>Saw a Good Eats episode where Alton was doing 'cados. He gave an
>enthusiastic nod to avocado oil, saying it was even better,
>health-wise, than OO and had a smoke point above 500 deg F. That's
>some pretty tall claims! How much of this is true and what is the
>price of this magic elixir? Anyone tried it? I have not.
>
>nb

The bottle of avocado oil I have says it can be safely heated to 500*F
I don't usually deep fry and when I do I use peanut oil. I do use
avocado oil to saute and stir fry though, nice stuff

koko

James Beard
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> Saw a Good Eats episode where Alton was doing 'cados. He gave an
> enthusiastic nod to avocado oil, saying it was even better,
> health-wise, than OO and had a smoke point above 500 deg F. That's
> some pretty tall claims! How much of this is true and what is the
> price of this magic elixir? Anyone tried it? I have not.

I did, some years ago before it became popular. I had no complaints about
it but neither could I rave about it. And it was expensive so I never
bought it again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14 Apr 2015 21:20:28 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>Saw a Good Eats episode where Alton was doing 'cados. He gave an
>enthusiastic nod to avocado oil, saying it was even better,
>health-wise, than OO and had a smoke point above 500 deg F. That's
>some pretty tall claims! How much of this is true and what is the
>price of this magic elixir? Anyone tried it? I have not.
>
>nb

At my Costco, Costco olive oil and the avocado oil are priced about
the same. I liked the avocado oil but it is too expensive to deep fry
with it. When it came down to it, I just didn't want to have another
bottle of oil around. To my taste, it is just the teeniest sweet.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14 Apr 2015 21:20:28 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> Saw a Good Eats episode where Alton was doing 'cados. He gave an
> enthusiastic nod to avocado oil, saying it was even better,
> health-wise, than OO and had a smoke point above 500 deg F. That's
> some pretty tall claims! How much of this is true and what is the
> price of this magic elixir? Anyone tried it? I have not.

I have and I like it. Makes great salad dressings.

Right now, I have a blend of high oleic organic safflower oil, avocado
& coconut oil that's expeller pressed and naturally refined. It takes
high heat too.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 2:20:33 PM UTC-7, notbob wrote:
> Saw a Good Eats episode where Alton was doing 'cados. He gave an
> enthusiastic nod to avocado oil, saying it was even better,
> health-wise, than OO and had a smoke point above 500 deg F. That's
> some pretty tall claims! How much of this is true and what is the
> price of this magic elixir? Anyone tried it? I have not.
>
> nb

It makes killer mayonnaise. Try it sometime. Also great salad dressing.
I might saute with it but it is too pricey for deep frying....which I don't do anyway ;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 18:20:15 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 2:20:33 PM UTC-7, notbob wrote:
>> Saw a Good Eats episode where Alton was doing 'cados. He gave an
>> enthusiastic nod to avocado oil, saying it was even better,
>> health-wise, than OO and had a smoke point above 500 deg F. That's
>> some pretty tall claims! How much of this is true and what is the
>> price of this magic elixir? Anyone tried it? I have not.
>>
>> nb

>It makes killer mayonnaise. Try it sometime. Also great salad dressing.
>I might saute with it but it is too pricey for deep frying....which I don't do anyway ;-)

I hadn't thought of mayonnaise. I can see that it would make
excellent mayonnaise.
Janet US

What is the best way to eat Avocado's Mocking Malicious Mike General Cooking 0 18-07-2009 09:30 PM
Avocado Oil Julie Bove General Cooking 17 02-03-2008 07:09 PM
Avocado oil Bubba General Cooking 1 27-05-2005 02:50 PM
avocado oil elaine General Cooking 8 25-03-2005 07:37 AM
AVOCADO ? General Cooking 37 06-03-2005 02:56 PM