Old 28-03-2015, 09:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Which ham for Easter?

I've always, for the past twenty-five years or so, gotten a Honeybaked ham but for the last couple of years it has not been good.

So, I am in search of a ham to cook, slice, and bring with us. I have Lunardis, Nob Hill/Raley's, and all the national chains available to me. I will probably go with Lunardis, where I buy all my meat, and can get baking instructions from them.

However, any additional hints as to cooking a ham would be appreciated as I haven't done one in many years.

TIA

Nellie

Old 28-03-2015, 09:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nellie wrote:

I've always, for the past twenty-five years or so, gotten a Honeybaked ham but for the last couple of years it has not been good.
So, I am in search of a ham to cook, slice, and bring with us. I have Lunardis, Nob Hill/Raley's, and all the national chains available to me. I will probably go with Lunardis, where I buy all my meat, and can get baking instructions from them.
However, any additional hints as to cooking a ham would be appreciated as I haven't done one in many years.

Fresh ham, the king of roasts. Cured hams no matter which is crap
they're just preserved chemically treated ham. Once you try fresh ham
cured will never again satisfy.
Old 29-03-2015, 12:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 28, 2015 at 2:34:14 PM UTC-7, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Nellie wrote:

I've always, for the past twenty-five years or so, gotten a Honeybaked ham but for the last couple of years it has not been good.
So, I am in search of a ham to cook, slice, and bring with us. I have Lunardis, Nob Hill/Raley's, and all the national chains available to me. I will probably go with Lunardis, where I buy all my meat, and can get baking instructions from them.
However, any additional hints as to cooking a ham would be appreciated as I haven't done one in many years.

Fresh ham, the king of roasts. Cured hams no matter which is crap
they're just preserved chemically treated ham. Once you try fresh ham
cured will never again satisfy.

Okay, sounds good, thanks. Anything in particular I should ask for? or will it be obvious? Lunardi's butchers are great and I rely on them quite a bit, but there are some young butchers working there and I worry that they may not know all that they should.

Thanks again,
Nellie
Old 29-03-2015, 03:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/28/2015 8:44 PM, Nellie wrote:

Fresh ham, the king of roasts. Cured hams no matter which is crap
they're just preserved chemically treated ham. Once you try fresh ham
cured will never again satisfy.

Okay, sounds good, thanks. Anything in particular I should ask for? or will it be obvious? Lunardi's butchers are great and I rely on them quite a bit, but there are some young butchers working there and I worry that they may not know all that they should.

Thanks again,
Nellie

Fresh ham will be with the rest of the pork if available. It is a pork
roast, not at all like a cured ham.

Ham sort of has two meanings. The ham is a cut of meat from the rear
leg of the hog. It is a nice big tender piece of meat.

The term "ham" is also used for some cured pork roasts. The front
leeg, when cure, is often call the Picnic Ham.

Sheldon does not like cured ham. Many of us do. Cured and fresh are
both good, just different.
Old 29-03-2015, 06:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 28, 2015 at 7:23:38 PM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your input, Ed. I think I am leaning towards the cured as well. I would think the other would taste more like pork. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but pork is not what I am looking for.

Nellie

Old 29-03-2015, 06:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 28, 2015 at 6:12:01 PM UTC-7, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Nellie wrote:

[...]

Depends how many you're feeding, a half ham will feed six adults well,
more I'd get a whole ham. If you buy half I suggest the butt half.
There are many ways to season, I like Penzeys adobo but you may like
some other flavors. A fresh ham can be boned for easier carving (ask
the butcher to do it), can also be butterflied, stuffed, rolled, and
tied. If you decide on a fresh ham and need help let me know.

Thanks, that's nice of you. I think I may go for the cured because it is more ham-like (correct me if I am wrong)

I do have the Penzey's adobo already so that's good, but maybe not on the cured ham, right?

We will be feeding 17 people, 3 are kids, but eat a lot and one vegetarian. So, what do you think?

Nellie
Old 29-03-2015, 08:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 22:23:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Fresh ham will be with the rest of the pork if available. It is a pork
roast, not at all like a cured ham.

I have never seen a fresh ham in my life. It's not a West Coast
"thing". She could ask Lunardi's and they might be able to get it for
her, but fresh ham is plain pork... so what? Might as well, buy a
shoulder or a roast and cook that.

--

sf
Old 29-03-2015, 08:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 22:47:16 -0700 (PDT), Nellie
wrote:

On Saturday, March 28, 2015 at 6:12:01 PM UTC-7, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Thanks, that's nice of you. I think I may go for the cured because it is more ham-like (correct me if I am wrong)

I do have the Penzey's adobo already so that's good, but maybe not on the cured ham, right?

We will be feeding 17 people, 3 are kids, but eat a lot and one vegetarian. So, what do you think?

If you really want to go with fresh/not cured pork, consider Pernil.

--

sf
Old 29-03-2015, 02:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 22:44:00 -0700 (PDT), Nellie
wrote:

[...]

A cured ham will taste more like the cured ham you are used to calling
"ham".

John Kuthe...

---

Old 29-03-2015, 04:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/29/2015 1:47 AM, Nellie wrote:

I do have the Penzey's adobo already so that's good, but maybe not on the cured ham, right?

We will be feeding 17 people, 3 are kids, but eat a lot and one vegetarian. So, what do you think?

Nellie

Right. Adobo has a lot of salt, so does a cured ham.

Old 29-03-2015, 04:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/29/2015 3:43 AM, sf wrote:

If you really want to go with fresh/not cured pork, consider Pernil.

Now that you mention it, I just put mine in the oven. Its whats for
dinner tonight.
Old 29-03-2015, 04:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 14:05:54 -0700 (PDT), Nellie
wrote:

I've always, for the past twenty-five years or so, gotten a Honeybaked ham but for the last couple of years it has not been good.

So, I am in search of a ham to cook, slice, and bring with us. I have Lunardis, Nob Hill/Raley's, and all the national chains available to me. I will probably go with Lunardis, where I buy all my meat, and can get baking instructions from them.

However, any additional hints as to cooking a ham would be appreciated as I haven't done one in many years.

TIA

Nellie

Have any RFC followers compared this ham to a Honey Baked ham?

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/bls-spr...navAction=push

William

Old 29-03-2015, 05:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 11:26:04 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 3/29/2015 3:43 AM, sf wrote:

If you really want to go with fresh/not cured pork, consider Pernil.

Now that you mention it, I just put mine in the oven. Its whats for
dinner tonight.

Great! I'm making it today too. Serving it with rice and Cuban style
black beans. I tried to figure out what kind of vegetable is served
with pernil and got nowhere, but I found an interesting looking (warm)
roasted butternut squash and black bean salad that I'll use. Tres
Leches flan for dessert.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room.
Old 29-03-2015, 06:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28/03/2015 8:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

It's the old, old story, isn't it?
The idea that a pork leg can be called a "fresh ham" is N.American usage
as is the idea that cider can be non-alcoholic.

And *don't* ask our Australian posters to tell us what they do with ham
bones!
Graham

--
Buy a man a beer and he wastes an hour.
Teach a man to brew and he wastes the rest of his life.

Old 29-03-2015, 07:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" wrote in message
On 28/03/2015 8:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Sheldon does not like cured ham. Many of us do. Cured and fresh are
both good, just different.

It's the old, old story, isn't it?
The idea that a pork leg can be called a "fresh ham" is N.American usage
as is the idea that cider can be non-alcoholic.

And *don't* ask our Australian posters to tell us what they do with ham
bones!

I am intrigued!!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Easter Day koko General Cooking 2 15-04-2009 03:45 AM
Easter cometh (natural Easter egg dying) Omelet[_7_] General Cooking 48 07-03-2009 02:24 AM
easter pie Carmine Sweeney General Cooking 4 26-03-2008 10:54 PM
Easter Ham Pie Duckie Recipes 0 21-03-2005 11:27 PM
EASTER HAM? rosie Barbecue 7 08-04-2004 07:50 PM