Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Which ham for Easter?

On 31/03/2015 11:47 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 10:37:12 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

>> Cook's has one that is partially cooked, and so does Sunnyvalley here where
>> I am in CA.
>>
>> Cheri

> A couple of years ago, Costco carried Martha Stewart branded hams
> around Easter. They were really good.
>
> These day with the kids gone, a decent size ham is too big. Still,
> when I crave one, I drive out to this place in Pennsylvania and get
> one of their smoked hams. The Food Saver comes in mighty handily..
>
> Best Ham Ever.
>
> http://www.dietrichsmeats.com/
>
> Boron

These were the traditional Suffolk hams that we had when I was a kid:
http://www.neavesofdebenham.co.uk/hams.html
Note the "steeped in molasses, dark Mauritius sugar and Guinness" prior
to smoking with oak.
Graham

--
Buy a man a beer and he wastes an hour.
Teach a man to brew and he wastes the rest of his life.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/31/2015 2:21 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> Ham steaks are supposed to be a big thing here in the South but I never
> understood the appeal. Maybe ham steaks are different on the west
> coast. <shrug>
>
> Jill

Just a slice off the the center of a ham. We have it once or twice a
year. Easy to prepare as it just has to be heated. The big advantage
over a ham is you only need to buy a small portion if you have a
hankering for ham.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 13:16:05 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 31/03/2015 11:47 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 10:37:12 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Cook's has one that is partially cooked, and so does Sunnyvalley here where
>>> I am in CA.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> A couple of years ago, Costco carried Martha Stewart branded hams
>> around Easter. They were really good.
>>
>> These day with the kids gone, a decent size ham is too big. Still,
>> when I crave one, I drive out to this place in Pennsylvania and get
>> one of their smoked hams. The Food Saver comes in mighty handily..
>>
>> Best Ham Ever.
>>
>> http://www.dietrichsmeats.com/
>>
>> Boron
>>

>These were the traditional Suffolk hams that we had when I was a kid:
>http://www.neavesofdebenham.co.uk/hams.html
>Note the "steeped in molasses, dark Mauritius sugar and Guinness" prior
>to smoking with oak.
>Graham

*THAT,* sir, is a ham.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 11:09:58 -0700, sf > wrote:

snip
I hate baking ham because it's so easy to dry out one that's
>fully cooked. I don't like all those leftovers anyway, so I'm more of
>a ham steak person if I ever get the twinge - which is practically
>never.

Traditional holiday meats are ho-hum nice but what I look forward to
is the following sandwiches.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 13:16:05 -0600, graham > wrote:

snip

>These were the traditional Suffolk hams that we had when I was a kid:
>http://www.neavesofdebenham.co.uk/hams.html
>Note the "steeped in molasses, dark Mauritius sugar and Guinness" prior
>to smoking with oak.
>Graham

Wow!
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/31/2015 3:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 3/31/2015 2:21 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>> Ham steaks are supposed to be a big thing here in the South but I never
>> understood the appeal. Maybe ham steaks are different on the west
>> coast. <shrug>
>>
>> Jill

> Just a slice off the the center of a ham. We have it once or twice a
> year. Easy to prepare as it just has to be heated. The big advantage
> over a ham is you only need to buy a small portion if you have a
> hankering for ham.

I suppose. I rarely have a hankering for ham.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/31/2015 12:47 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 10:37:12 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

>> Cook's has one that is partially cooked, and so does Sunnyvalley here where
>> I am in CA.
>>
>> Cheri

> A couple of years ago, Costco carried Martha Stewart branded hams
> around Easter. They were really good.
>
> These day with the kids gone, a decent size ham is too big. Still,
> when I crave one, I drive out to this place in Pennsylvania and get
> one of their smoked hams. The Food Saver comes in mighty handily..
>
> Best Ham Ever.
>
> http://www.dietrichsmeats.com/

Up Nort' this the place with the best ham, you betcha:

http://www.thielen-meats.com/minneso...age-jerky.html

They're famous for their bacon, which got a mention in the NY Times.
When Frank Sinatra was alive, he had it flown out to him every week.

One of their cousins has a cable cooking show, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 12:16:12 PM UTC-7, graham wrote:
> On 31/03/2015 11:47 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> > On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 10:37:12 -0700, "Cheri" >
> > wrote:
> >

> >> Cook's has one that is partially cooked, and so does Sunnyvalley here where
> >> I am in CA.
> >>
> >> Cheri

> > A couple of years ago, Costco carried Martha Stewart branded hams
> > around Easter. They were really good.
> >
> > These day with the kids gone, a decent size ham is too big. Still,
> > when I crave one, I drive out to this place in Pennsylvania and get
> > one of their smoked hams. The Food Saver comes in mighty handily..
> >
> > Best Ham Ever.
> >
> > http://www.dietrichsmeats.com/
> >
> > Boron
> >

> These were the traditional Suffolk hams that we had when I was a kid:
> http://www.neavesofdebenham.co.uk/hams.html
> Note the "steeped in molasses, dark Mauritius sugar and Guinness" prior
> to smoking with oak.

What is gammon, by the way? I can never remember, but it is something
like ham, I know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .

>>> Don't tell her that! Not all hams are fully cooked. Country hams and
>>> fresh hams are two that must be cooked. I've bought "partially cooked"
>>> hams before. Read the label on the ham is the best advice.

>> Maybe that's the way it is in your neck of the woods but I have yet to
>> see a ham that doesn't have "fully cooked" in large letters on the
>> label.
>>
>> --
>>
>> sf

>Cook's has one that is partially cooked, and so does Sunnyvalley here where
>I am in CA.
>
>Cheri

Show us, should be easy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 14:21:18 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 3/31/2015 2:09 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 10:50:30 -0700, "Cheri" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I only know that because I started paying attention after I bought one. I
> >> always assumed that they were fully cooked and did slice off some cold for
> >> sandwiches a few years ago, already eaten before I noticed it. It didn't
> >> kill us or anything, but it made me aware of it.
> >>

> > I'm thinking I'd be better off if I found one that needed some
> > cooking. I hate baking ham because it's so easy to dry out one that's
> > fully cooked. I don't like all those leftovers anyway, so I'm more of
> > a ham steak person if I ever get the twinge - which is practically
> > never.
> >

> Ham steaks are supposed to be a big thing here in the South but I never
> understood the appeal. Maybe ham steaks are different on the west
> coast. <shrug>

I fry it up for breakfast - no desire to have it for dinner.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B wrote:
>sf wrote:
>
> I hate baking ham because it's so easy to dry out one that's
>>fully cooked. I don't like all those leftovers anyway, so I'm more of
>>a ham steak person if I ever get the twinge - which is practically
>>never.

>Traditional holiday meats are ho-hum nice but what I look forward to
>is the following sandwiches.
>Janet US

I have about half a butt half ham in the fridge now... probably have
sandwiches for tomorrow and the rest will be frozen for soups. I buy
1/2 a ham twice a year, it's good for like three days and the rest
gets frozen for bean/pea soup... at like ~$1.10/pound how can you go
wrong? If I wasn't interested in using it for soup I'd toss it out in
the yard to feed the critters, it'd be all gone before morning...
tonight I tossed out the pork chop bones, some critter will enjoy
them... even the fying fat goes out on the lawn, it'll definitely get
lapped up... nothing gets wasted.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 31/03/2015 1:58 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 13:16:05 -0600, graham > wrote:
>
>> On 31/03/2015 11:47 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:

>>> A couple of years ago, Costco carried Martha Stewart branded hams
>>> around Easter. They were really good.
>>>
>>> These day with the kids gone, a decent size ham is too big. Still,
>>> when I crave one, I drive out to this place in Pennsylvania and get
>>> one of their smoked hams. The Food Saver comes in mighty handily..
>>>
>>> Best Ham Ever.
>>>
>>> http://www.dietrichsmeats.com/
>>>
>>> Boron
>>>

>> These were the traditional Suffolk hams that we had when I was a kid:
>> http://www.neavesofdebenham.co.uk/hams.html
>> Note the "steeped in molasses, dark Mauritius sugar and Guinness" prior
>> to smoking with oak.
>> Graham

> *THAT,* sir, is a ham.

However, not all my memories are good!
The owner of that butcher's when I was a kid was Peter Neave, the son of
the founder. He had a cruel streak and I have something burned in my
memory. One Monday afternoon* when I was about 4 years old, he beckoned
me into the yard at the back of the shop and held me, forcing me to
watch a pig being slaughtered. These days a butcher would be jailed if
they used his method for slaughtering veal calves!
He was disliked by most in the village but only sold the highest
quality. They still use his recipe for curing hams and they are sold in
Harrods.
*Monday afternoon was when they slaughtered animals.
Graham
--
Buy a man a beer and he wastes an hour.
Teach a man to brew and he wastes the rest of his life.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-01, Janet > wrote:

> In article >,
> says...

>> see a ham that doesn't have "fully cooked" in large letters on the
>> label.

> I've never seen one that did :-)

Even more difficult, finding a ham that's not spiral sliced.

nb

Easter Day koko General Cooking 2 15-04-2009 03:45 AM
Easter cometh (natural Easter egg dying) Omelet[_7_] General Cooking 48 07-03-2009 03:24 AM
easter pie Carmine Sweeney General Cooking 4 26-03-2008 11:54 PM
Easter Ham Pie Duckie ® Recipes 0 22-03-2005 12:27 AM
EASTER HAM? rosie Barbecue 7 08-04-2004 07:50 PM