Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default oats

What's the difference between rolled oats
and steel cut oats?

And is there a difference, nutritionally?

--
Rich
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 14:03:06 -0700 (PDT), RichD
> wrote:

>What's the difference between rolled oats
>and steel cut oats?
>
>And is there a difference, nutritionally?

The difference is mainly textural. With rolled oats the nutritional
differences depend on which type but differences are marginal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-03-24 5:03 PM, RichD wrote:
> What's the difference between rolled oats
> and steel cut oats?
>
> And is there a difference, nutritionally?

Would you like us to Google it for you?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 11:03:12 AM UTC-10, RichD wrote:
> What's the difference between rolled oats
> and steel cut oats?
>
> And is there a difference, nutritionally?
>

> --
> Rich

Rolled oats have been pre-cooked and smashed between rollers which allows faster cooking. Steel cut oats are a whole grain product that takes a lot of boiling to be edible. I guess it's sorta similar to brown rice and parboiled rice. Without this processing, oatmeal wouldn't be a very popular breakfast fare.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 15:01:16 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

> Rolled oats have been pre-cooked and smashed between rollers which allows faster cooking. Steel cut oats are a whole grain product that takes a lot of boiling to be edible. I guess it's sorta similar to brown rice and parboiled rice. Without this processing, oatmeal wouldn't be a very popular breakfast fare.

I love steel cut oats. Prepare them like this (thank you Bobby Flay)

2 cups steel-cut Irish oats
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
8 cups water

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

Spread the oats on a baking sheet in an even layer and bake, stirring
occasionally, until lightly toasted, about 15 minutes.

In a large pot, bring 8 cups of water and the sea salt to a boil. Stir
in the toasted oatmeal and cook for 1 minute. Cover the pot tightly
and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate at least 8 hours or
overnight.

Return the chilled oatmeal to the stove and cook over low heat until
heated through. I add butter and brown sugar, you might like milk.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 11:03:12 AM UTC-10, RichD wrote:
>> What's the difference between rolled oats
>> and steel cut oats?
>>
>> And is there a difference, nutritionally?
>>

>> --
>> Rich

>Rolled oats have been pre-cooked and smashed between rollers which allows faster cooking. Steel cut oats are a whole grain product that takes a lot of boiling to be edible. I guess it's sorta similar to brown rice and parboiled rice. Without this processing, oatmeal wouldn't be a very popular breakfast fare.

Steel cut oats take about 20 minutes in the microwave. We set it all
up the night before and it's ready when the coffee pot finishes in the
morning.

Easy peasey.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-03-24 20:03, Boron Elgar wrote:

>> Rolled oats have been pre-cooked and smashed between rollers which allows faster cooking. Steel cut oats are a whole grain product that takes a lot of boiling to be edible. I guess it's sorta similar to brown rice and parboiled rice. Without this processing, oatmeal wouldn't be a very popular breakfast fare.

> Steel cut oats take about 20 minutes in the microwave. We set it all
> up the night before and it's ready when the coffee pot finishes in the
> morning.
>
> Easy peasey.

I haven't bothered with steel cut for a while because I like large
flake. I saw McCaan's Irish Steel Cut Oats in a store the other day...
$9.99 for two pounds. I saw steel cut oats in the Baulk Barn last week
for $1.25 per pound. It only takes a couple minutes longer. It tastes
food. Maybe I should get some steel cut, but I will get it at the Bilk Barn.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-03-24 20:28, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 20:21:25 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2015-03-24 20:03, Boron Elgar wrote:
>>
>>> Steel cut oats take about 20 minutes in the microwave. We set it all
>>> up the night before and it's ready when the coffee pot finishes in the
>>> morning.
>>>
>>> Easy peasey.

>> I haven't bothered with steel cut for a while because I like large
>> flake. I saw McCaan's Irish Steel Cut Oats in a store the other day...
>> $9.99 for two pounds. I saw steel cut oats in the Baulk Barn last week
>> for $1.25 per pound. It only takes a couple minutes longer. It tastes
>> food.

> I always appreciate that in a breakfast.

oops... typo slipped past spell check.... tastes good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/24/2015 2:03 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:

> Easy peasey.
>
> Boron

That's easy for you to say.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 15:01:16 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 11:03:12 AM UTC-10, RichD wrote:
>>> What's the difference between rolled oats
>>> and steel cut oats?
>>>
>>> And is there a difference, nutritionally?
>>>

>>> --
>>> Rich

>>Rolled oats have been pre-cooked and smashed between rollers which allows
>>faster cooking. Steel cut oats are a whole grain product that takes a lot
>>of boiling to be edible. I guess it's sorta similar to brown rice and
>>parboiled rice. Without this processing, oatmeal wouldn't be a very
>>popular breakfast fare.

> Steel cut oats take about 20 minutes in the microwave. We set it all
> up the night before and it's ready when the coffee pot finishes in the
> morning.
>
> Easy peasey.

Article in the newspaper about a girl who uses oats on her skin and it has
cured her eczema

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...st-remedy.html

Seems it is good for you inside and out

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 10:03:20 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 15:01:16 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>>>Rolled oats have been pre-cooked and smashed between rollers which allows
>>>faster cooking. Steel cut oats are a whole grain product that takes a lot
>>>of boiling to be edible. I guess it's sorta similar to brown rice and
>>>parboiled rice. Without this processing, oatmeal wouldn't be a very
>>>popular breakfast fare.

>> Steel cut oats take about 20 minutes in the microwave. We set it all
>> up the night before and it's ready when the coffee pot finishes in the
>> morning.
>>
>> Easy peasey.

>Article in the newspaper about a girl who uses oats on her skin and it has
>cured her eczema
>
>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...st-remedy.html
>
>Seems it is good for you inside and out

Aveeno colloidal oatmeal bath has been around here in the US for
decades. Great stuff for irritated skin.

http://www.aveeno.com/product/aveeno...+treatment+.do
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 10:03:20 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Steel cut oats take about 20 minutes in the microwave. We set it all
>>> up the night before and it's ready when the coffee pot finishes in the
>>> morning.
>>>
>>> Easy peasey.

>>Article in the newspaper about a girl who uses oats on her skin and it has
>>cured her eczema
>>
>>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...st-remedy.html
>>
>>Seems it is good for you inside and out

> Aveeno colloidal oatmeal bath has been around here in the US for
> decades. Great stuff for irritated skin.
>
> http://www.aveeno.com/product/aveeno...+treatment+.do

We have that here too but I guess it hit the news because she is plastering
herself all over with her breakfast oats<g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 07:59:18 -0300, wrote:

>On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 06:32:27 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>

>>Aveeno colloidal oatmeal bath has been around here in the US for
>>decades. Great stuff for irritated skin.

http://www.aveeno.com/product/aveeno...+treatment+.do

>My eldest daughter as a kid suffered badly from Poison Ivy, a bath
>with masses of oatmeal was the only thing that soothed it for awhile.
>Ultimately they got some vaccine from Texas and after a course of
>shots, it was a bit better. She could even react if the dog had run
>through it and got some of the oil on his fur.

One of my three is highly susceptible, to. We used to joke tat no one
should even say "poison ivy" when he was in earshot. He's wound up on
prednisone a few times to calm the reaction.

Luckily he just does not come in contact with it much as a grown up.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 10:42:16 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 10:03:20 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>>Article in the newspaper about a girl who uses oats on her skin and it has
>>>cured her eczema
>>>
>>>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...st-remedy.html
>>>
>>>Seems it is good for you inside and out

>> Aveeno colloidal oatmeal bath has been around here in the US for
>> decades. Great stuff for irritated skin.
>>
>> http://www.aveeno.com/product/aveeno...+treatment+.do

> We have that here too but I guess it hit the news because she is plastering
>herself all over with her breakfast oats<g>

I would bet a lot of gooey things spread all over might have helped
soothe. Mud bath comes to mind. <BG>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 10:42:16 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 10:03:20 -0000, "Ophelia"

m...

>>> Aveeno colloidal oatmeal bath has been around here in the US for
>>> decades. Great stuff for irritated skin.
>>>
>>> http://www.aveeno.com/product/aveeno...+treatment+.do

>> We have that here too but I guess it hit the news because she is
>> plastering
>>herself all over with her breakfast oats<g>

> I would bet a lot of gooey things spread all over might have helped
> soothe. Mud bath comes to mind. <BG>

Yuck ))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-03-25 8:58 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:

> One of my three is highly susceptible, to. We used to joke tat no one
> should even say "poison ivy" when he was in earshot. He's wound up on
> prednisone a few times to calm the reaction.
>
> Luckily he just does not come in contact with it much as a grown up.

It seems to be that way with some people. I don't worry too much about
poison ivy because I have been exposed to it many times and never
reacted. Our former neighbour only had to be in the vicinity to a plant
and she would develop a rash. I was helping them clean up their wood
lot last summer. There was a lot of poison ivy back there. I did the
work in the areas where the ivy was and had had no problem. She never
got close it it but developed rashes anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 15:01:16 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>>>Rolled oats have been pre-cooked and smashed between rollers which allows
>>>faster cooking. Steel cut oats are a whole grain product that takes a lot
>>>of boiling to be edible. I guess it's sorta similar to brown rice and
>>>parboiled rice. Without this processing, oatmeal wouldn't be a very
>>>popular breakfast fare.

>> Steel cut oats take about 20 minutes in the microwave. We set it all
>> up the night before and it's ready when the coffee pot finishes in the
>> morning.
>>
>> Easy peasey.

> Article in the newspaper about a girl who uses oats on her skin and it has
> cured her eczema
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...st-remedy.html
>
> Seems it is good for you inside and out

Spread warm oatmeal on poison ivy wounds and let it dry to a cake. It will
wipe out the rash.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 15:13:28 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>"Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Boron Elgar" > wrote in message

Not all rolled oats are pre cooked, most are not precooked, those that
are instant are precooked, but they still contain all the nutrients of
steel cut oats... only difference is that steel cut oats have a
coarser texture, and of course need far longer cooking time.