Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT, sort of: Opening store produce bags

> That's not the point! It's a disgusting habit!
> Graham

We've had this discussion before. If you're the only one touching the
bag you put the the produce in, who cares how you open it?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 20:32:44 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 15:32:44 -0600, Janet B >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 10:53:59 -0700, sf > wrote:

>>>Did you know that the germ killing ability of those gels lasts only
>>>two minutes?

>>Did you know that washing your hands under running water does a better
>>job than any sanitizers?
>>Janet US

>But usually there is nowhere to wash when shopping... I appreciate
>that the market in town provides sanitizing towelettes at the
>entrance... I think it a good idea to wipe down the cart handle.

I always lick shopping cart handles to educate my immune system!

;-)

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK > wrote:
> How do you open one of those plastic produce bags in the food market
> without wetting your fingertips in your mouth? I hate to do this - fingers
> get dirty in stores.
>
> I'm just an old worrywart?
>
> TIA

There is a way of transferring saliva without touching mouth.

Been having the same problem after becomming cautious about flu season.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 21, 2015 at 9:50:05 AM UTC-5, tert in seattle wrote:
> sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 00:05:00 +0100, BBQ
> > wrote:

> >> that's why I always bring hand sanitizing gel with me. Put some and
> >> you are ready to go!

> > That stuff doesn't feel clean to me. I'd rather have the alcohol
> > based wipes to use on my cart and consequently my hands.

> I think we've found the ultimate First World Problem

Really. Jesus.

https://20240018mb.files.wordpress.c...ickin-good.jpg

Then there's this:

http://www.today.com/health/smell-yo...uth-2D80528162

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 12:41:11 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>KenK wrote:
>>
>> John Kuthe wrote:
>> > Same way I get plastic trash bags, etc. open. Rub the offending stuck
>> > together two layewrs back and forth slightly with my palms. Usually
>> > fnds the separate sheets of plastic.

>> Didn't know palms work better than fingers. More area I suppose. I'll try
>> it today when I get my usual bunch of babanas. (Bananas are dry so
>> there's no handy water on them, loose potatoes, loose onions, and other
>> produce I usually buy.)

>Grocery store this am. I had to deal with a bag. Often I will just
>lick my fingers and that always works in a charm. Bottom line...if
>you are licking your fingers to open your own bag, what's the problem?
>
>Anyway, I tried sw deal...just keep rubbing index finger and thumb a
>few extra times and the bag opened fine. Why did I do this though? I
>already had sweet potato in hand so who else would care if I licked
>finger to open the stupid plastic bag. Ppl here can be really anal
>sometimes.

If you are using a trolley at the supermarket the handles are usually
loaded with virus and bacteria that is transferred to your hands.
Things like this are a major carrier of flu virus, a very good reason
not to put your hands in your mouth or rub your eyes. My local shops
now have antibacterial wipes for wiping down shopping trolley handles,
doubtful if they would kill flu virus though.

Please do not label me as one of those anal people, I am not germ
phobic and definitely do not advocate disinfecting everything in sight
(my kitchen gets cleaned with nothing more than hot soapy water and a
clean sponge), but surfaces and hands are the biggest carriers of
nasties.

JB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 14:39:30 -0700 (PDT), Nellie
> wrote:

>On Saturday, March 21, 2015 at 2:32:45 PM UTC-7, Janet B wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 10:53:59 -0700, sf > wrote:

>> >Did you know that the germ killing ability of those gels lasts only
>> >two minutes?

>> Did you know that washing your hands under running water does a better
>> job than any sanitizers?
>> Janet US

>On Saturday, March 21, 2015 at 2:32:45 PM UTC-7, Janet B wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 10:53:59 -0700, sf > wrote:

>> >Did you know that the germ killing ability of those gels lasts only
>> >two minutes?

>> Did you know that washing your hands under running water does a better
>> job than any sanitizers?
>> Janet US

>Yep, I only use hand sanitizers as a last resort such as if there is no water available and I have just touched some icky thing. I have never used the sanitizers in the supermarket either. I just wash my hands when I get home. I haven't been sick in many years. I do wash my hands frequently when out and about.
>
>Nellie

Nothing substitutes for hand washing. A couple of years ago my young
grand-daughters were staying over and both came down with a nasty case
of gastro (picked up at day care). Everyone in the house came down
with it (2 older grandsons and one son) except for my husband and I
because we were simply extra vigilant with the hand and surface
washing, and we were the ones cleaning up the the explosive vomit and
diarrhea.

JB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-03-22 12:15 PM, JBurns wrote:

> Nothing substitutes for hand washing. A couple of years ago my young
> grand-daughters were staying over and both came down with a nasty case
> of gastro (picked up at day care). Everyone in the house came down
> with it (2 older grandsons and one son) except for my husband and I
> because we were simply extra vigilant with the hand and surface
> washing, and we were the ones cleaning up the the explosive vomit and
> diarrhea.

The worst case of something like that I ever saw swept through my family
like a wild fire. I had been down to visit my parents. Our son was
about 6 months old at the time. My older brother had been there with his
two kids, one just a week older than my son. They left when the young
one suddenly became ill... before we got there. Later on that day our
son came down with it. He was so sick we took him to the ER. While we
were there my wife started puking. On the way home from the hospital we
stopped at my brother's place to see if they had any gravol they could
spare. I was just about to leave when I started puking.

As it turned out, my older brother had come by with his wife and two
kids. They and my parents all caught it. Most of us were over it
within a day or two but the nephew who infected everyone else, directly
or indirectly, was sick for a long time and ended up on a special diet,
mostly lamb and rice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JBurns" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 12:41:11 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>>KenK wrote:

>>> Didn't know palms work better than fingers. More area I suppose. I'll
>>> try
>>> it today when I get my usual bunch of babanas. (Bananas are dry so
>>> there's no handy water on them, loose potatoes, loose onions, and other
>>> produce I usually buy.)

>>Grocery store this am. I had to deal with a bag. Often I will just
>>lick my fingers and that always works in a charm. Bottom line...if
>>you are licking your fingers to open your own bag, what's the problem?
>>
>>Anyway, I tried sw deal...just keep rubbing index finger and thumb a
>>few extra times and the bag opened fine. Why did I do this though? I
>>already had sweet potato in hand so who else would care if I licked
>>finger to open the stupid plastic bag. Ppl here can be really anal
>>sometimes.

> If you are using a trolley at the supermarket the handles are usually
> loaded with virus and bacteria that is transferred to your hands.
> Things like this are a major carrier of flu virus, a very good reason
> not to put your hands in your mouth or rub your eyes. My local shops
> now have antibacterial wipes for wiping down shopping trolley handles,
> doubtful if they would kill flu virus though.
>
> Please do not label me as one of those anal people, I am not germ
> phobic and definitely do not advocate disinfecting everything in sight
> (my kitchen gets cleaned with nothing more than hot soapy water and a
> clean sponge), but surfaces and hands are the biggest carriers of
> nasties.

Agreed and we carry an antibacterial gel hand cleanser when we go shopping.
We use it to clean the handle of the trolley and our hands too.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 16:56:02 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"JBurns" > wrote in message
>news

>>>Grocery store this am. I had to deal with a bag. Often I will just
>>>lick my fingers and that always works in a charm. Bottom line...if
>>>you are licking your fingers to open your own bag, what's the problem?
>>>
>>>Anyway, I tried sw deal...just keep rubbing index finger and thumb a
>>>few extra times and the bag opened fine. Why did I do this though? I
>>>already had sweet potato in hand so who else would care if I licked
>>>finger to open the stupid plastic bag. Ppl here can be really anal
>>>sometimes.

>> If you are using a trolley at the supermarket the handles are usually
>> loaded with virus and bacteria that is transferred to your hands.
>> Things like this are a major carrier of flu virus, a very good reason
>> not to put your hands in your mouth or rub your eyes. My local shops
>> now have antibacterial wipes for wiping down shopping trolley handles,
>> doubtful if they would kill flu virus though.
>>
>> Please do not label me as one of those anal people, I am not germ
>> phobic and definitely do not advocate disinfecting everything in sight
>> (my kitchen gets cleaned with nothing more than hot soapy water and a
>> clean sponge), but surfaces and hands are the biggest carriers of
>> nasties.

>Agreed and we carry an antibacterial gel hand cleanser when we go shopping.
>We use it to clean the handle of the trolley and our hands too.

I carry a small zip-loc of halved paper towels saturated with Crystal
Palace vodka.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JBurns wrote:

> If you are using a trolley at the supermarket the handles are usually
> loaded with virus and bacteria that is transferred to your hands.
> Things like this are a major carrier of flu virus, a very good reason
> not to put your hands in your mouth or rub your eyes. My local shops
> now have antibacterial wipes for wiping down shopping trolley handles,
> doubtful if they would kill flu virus though.
>
> Please do not label me as one of those anal people, I am not germ
> phobic and definitely do not advocate disinfecting everything in sight
> (my kitchen gets cleaned with nothing more than hot soapy water and a
> clean sponge), but surfaces and hands are the biggest carriers of
> nasties.

You sound about as anal as I am....not very.

I do always grab a few of those antibiotic wipes in the grocery store.
I wipe down the cart handle and my hands, then I shop. No problem in
my mind to lick my finger to help open a produce bag. I ball-up and
save those wipes too. When I get out of the store and put groceries in
the car, I'll wipe my hands again, then throw them out.

My "anal" comment was directed to people obscessed and using anti-b
wipes everywhere in their own houses too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 08:53:34 +1100, Bruce > wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 07:31:23 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>>JBurns wrote:
>>>
>>> If you are using a trolley at the supermarket the handles are usually
>>> loaded with virus and bacteria that is transferred to your hands.
>>> Things like this are a major carrier of flu virus, a very good reason
>>> not to put your hands in your mouth or rub your eyes. My local shops
>>> now have antibacterial wipes for wiping down shopping trolley handles,
>>> doubtful if they would kill flu virus though.
>>>
>>> Please do not label me as one of those anal people, I am not germ
>>> phobic and definitely do not advocate disinfecting everything in sight
>>> (my kitchen gets cleaned with nothing more than hot soapy water and a
>>> clean sponge), but surfaces and hands are the biggest carriers of
>>> nasties.

>>You sound about as anal as I am....not very.
>>
>>I do always grab a few of those antibiotic wipes in the grocery store.
>>I wipe down the cart handle and my hands, then I shop. No problem in
>>my mind to lick my finger to help open a produce bag. I ball-up and
>>save those wipes too. When I get out of the store and put groceries in
>>the car, I'll wipe my hands again, then throw them out.

>If that's not anal, do anal people walk through the supermarket in
>spacesuits?

Don't give them ideas like that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 22, 2015 at 11:00:13 AM UTC-5, Golden One wrote:

> My local shops now have antibacterial wipes for wiping down shopping
> trolley handles, doubtful if they would kill flu virus though.

Flu viruses are rather fragile. Those wipes should kill them.

> JB

--Bryan