Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Another Sausage Question: Casings

Natural? Edible collagen? Whatever?

Does it depend on the type of sausage or on the diameter? Seems like most
recipes specify a type of casing, but it isn't clear, at least to me, if
this makes any real difference. And the collagen seems to be a lot easier
to work with.

/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alan Holbrook" wrote in message
. 130...

Natural? Edible collagen? Whatever?

Does it depend on the type of sausage or on the diameter? Seems like most
recipes specify a type of casing, but it isn't clear, at least to me, if
this makes any real difference. And the collagen seems to be a lot easier
to work with.

You can choose any casing that you want. It just depend on what you want.
I use natural because the collagen are a little chewy to me.

If you want natural casings that are easy to work with. Check out this
video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcQuVRFjRxw

Robert

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alan Holbrook" > wrote in message
. 130...
> Natural? Edible collagen? Whatever?
>
> Does it depend on the type of sausage or on the diameter? Seems like most
> recipes specify a type of casing, but it isn't clear, at least to me, if
> this makes any real difference. And the collagen seems to be a lot easier
> to work with.

I have given up stuffing sausages. I make mine into patties and they taste
just as good

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in
:

> "Alan Holbrook" > wrote in message
> . 130...
>> Natural? Edible collagen? Whatever?
>>
>> Does it depend on the type of sausage or on the diameter? Seems like
>> most recipes specify a type of casing, but it isn't clear, at least
>> to me, if this makes any real difference. And the collagen seems to
>> be a lot easier to work with.

> I have given up stuffing sausages. I make mine into patties and they
> taste just as good

Yep, they do. But they're harder to put on a sub roll (or a hero or a
grinder or whatever you call them on that side of the pond)...:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alan Holbrook" > wrote in message
. 130...
> "Ophelia" > wrote in
> :
>

>> "Alan Holbrook" > wrote in message
>> . 130...
>>> Natural? Edible collagen? Whatever?
>>>
>>> Does it depend on the type of sausage or on the diameter? Seems like
>>> most recipes specify a type of casing, but it isn't clear, at least
>>> to me, if this makes any real difference. And the collagen seems to
>>> be a lot easier to work with.

>> I have given up stuffing sausages. I make mine into patties and they
>> taste just as good
>>

> Yep, they do. But they're harder to put on a sub roll (or a hero or a
> grinder or whatever you call them on that side of the pond)...:-)

Nahhh just cut it in half I suppose you could roll the meat?

I don't know what a grinder or hero is. I don't actually know what a 'sub
roll' is either but I guess it is just a bread roll?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 04:33:20 -0400, "Robert"
> wrote:

>"Alan Holbrook" wrote in message
.130...

>Natural? Edible collagen? Whatever?
>
>Does it depend on the type of sausage or on the diameter? Seems like most
>recipes specify a type of casing, but it isn't clear, at least to me, if
>this makes any real difference. And the collagen seems to be a lot easier
>to work with.
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>You can choose any casing that you want. It just depend on what you want.
>I use natural because the collagen are a little chewy to me.
>

>If you want natural casings that are easy to work with. Check out this
>video.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcQuVRFjRxw
>

>Robert

They are INTESTINES!!! Probablyt porcine (pig) intestines!!

Unless you have to rinse the poop out of them, they are not fresh and
genuine! ;-)

Most people are far too far removed precisely where their food comes
from!!

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2015 3:41 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> Natural? Edible collagen? Whatever?
>
> Does it depend on the type of sausage or on the diameter? Seems like most
> recipes specify a type of casing, but it isn't clear, at least to me, if
> this makes any real difference. And the collagen seems to be a lot easier
> to work with.

Opinions vary, but . . .

For Italian, brats, and the like, natural casings are the best. They
handle easily, cook well, easy to eat.

Collagen are a bit easier to work with, however, I've had them peel off
while cooking, they are not as chewable. IMO, they are better suited
for salami type sausages, dry cured.

Breakfast sausage I just make patties. We do some of the Italian in
patties or bulk if it is going into lasagna type dishes.

FWIW, I like to add a little rosemary to Italian too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2015 7:00 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> I don't know what a grinder or hero is. I don't actually know what a
> 'sub roll' is either but I guess it is just a bread roll?

Long rolls, usually 6" to 12" (15 cm or 30 cm) long and 2" across.
Almost like a mini Italian loaf.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 3/17/2015 7:00 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> I don't know what a grinder or hero is. I don't actually know what a
>> 'sub roll' is either but I guess it is just a bread roll?
>>

> Long rolls, usually 6" to 12" (15 cm or 30 cm) long and 2" across. Almost
> like a mini Italian loaf.

Gosh they are long! Thanks, Ed! You don't have sausage 6" to 12" long
though do you?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/17/2015 04:00 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Alan Holbrook" > wrote in message
> . 130...

>> Yep, they do. But they're harder to put on a sub roll (or a hero or a
>> grinder or whatever you call them on that side of the pond)...:-)

> Nahhh just cut it in half I suppose you could roll the meat?
>
> I don't know what a grinder or hero is. I don't actually know what a
> 'sub roll' is either but I guess it is just a bread roll?

From what I can tell, the UK equivalent of a "sub roll" is a
"Baguette," named for the bread roll that is used in its making. "Sub"
refers to its shape, like a submarine. Other regional names suggest the
shape also, like Rocket, Zep (or Zeppelin), Blimpie and Torpedo. Other
names include Hoagie, Hero, Grinder, Spuckie, Wedge, Philly and fanciful
names attached to the restaurant that invented them.

"Submarine" is probably the most generic name for all and refers to a
long Italian or French bread loaf (baguette), sliced horizontally but
not all the way through, opened up and filled with any of a wide variety
of sliced meats, cheeses, vegetables and condiments. The loaf is then
folded back up and sliced to individual serving length.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Whirled Peas" > wrote in message
> On 03/17/2015 04:00 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Alan Holbrook" > wrote in message
>> . 130...

>>> Yep, they do. But they're harder to put on a sub roll (or a hero or a
>>> grinder or whatever you call them on that side of the pond)...:-)

>> Nahhh just cut it in half I suppose you could roll the meat?
>>
>> I don't know what a grinder or hero is. I don't actually know what a
>> 'sub roll' is either but I guess it is just a bread roll?
>>

> From what I can tell, the UK equivalent of a "sub roll" is a "Baguette,"
> named for the bread roll that is used in its making. "Sub" refers to its
> shape, like a submarine. Other regional names suggest the shape also, like
> Rocket, Zep (or Zeppelin), Blimpie and Torpedo. Other names include
> Hoagie, Hero, Grinder, Spuckie, Wedge, Philly and fanciful names attached
> to the restaurant that invented them.

Thanks

> "Submarine" is probably the most generic name for all and refers to a long
> Italian or French bread loaf (baguette), sliced horizontally but not all
> the way through, opened up and filled with any of a wide variety of sliced
> meats, cheeses, vegetables and condiments. The loaf is then folded back up
> and sliced to individual serving length.

Oh, I thought it was about hot dogs and the rolls used!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 3/17/2015 2:09 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> Thanks, Ed! You don't have sausage 6" to 12" long
>> though do you?
>>

> That is a very personal question, but yes, I do!

ED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2015 2:09 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> Thanks, Ed! You don't have sausage 6" to 12" long
> though do you?

That is a very personal question, but yes, I do!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/17/2015 11:18 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> Oh, I thought it was about hot dogs and the rolls used!

A "Submarine" never refers to a hot dog on a roll. It's a more elaborate
deli-type sandwich with the fillings piled high. Easy enough to make at
home, though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Whirled Peas" > wrote in message
> On 03/17/2015 11:18 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> Oh, I thought it was about hot dogs and the rolls used!
>>

> A "Submarine" never refers to a hot dog on a roll. It's a more elaborate
> deli-type sandwich with the fillings piled high. Easy enough to make at
> home, though.

Ok)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 18:09:56 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> On 3/17/2015 7:00 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>>

>>> I don't know what a grinder or hero is. I don't actually know what a
>>> 'sub roll' is either but I guess it is just a bread roll?
>>>

>> Long rolls, usually 6" to 12" (15 cm or 30 cm) long and 2" across. Almost
>> like a mini Italian loaf.

>Gosh they are long! Thanks, Ed! You don't have sausage 6" to 12" long
>though do you?

My sausage is closer to 12" than 6"... just don't tell Bwrrryan. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/17/2015 12:59 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Whirled Peas" > wrote in message
>> On 03/17/2015 11:18 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>>

>>> Oh, I thought it was about hot dogs and the rolls used!
>>>

>> A "Submarine" never refers to a hot dog on a roll. It's a more
>> elaborate deli-type sandwich with the fillings piled high. Easy enough
>> to make at home, though.

> Ok)

Maybe some pictures would help. Here's a pictorial essay showing how a
simple one is made at home. It starts with a 2-foot (60cm?) loaf of
bread and is intended to make 4 servings. Personally, I wouldn't pull
out the soft bread in the middle, though.

<http://www.simplyscratch.com/2012/12/italian-sub-sandwiches.html>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Whirled Peas" > wrote in message
> On 03/17/2015 12:59 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> A "Submarine" never refers to a hot dog on a roll. It's a more
>>> elaborate deli-type sandwich with the fillings piled high. Easy enough
>>> to make at home, though.

>> Ok)
>>

> Maybe some pictures would help. Here's a pictorial essay showing how a
> simple one is made at home. It starts with a 2-foot (60cm?) loaf of bread
> and is intended to make 4 servings. Personally, I wouldn't pull out the
> soft bread in the middle, though.
>
> <http://www.simplyscratch.com/2012/12/italian-sub-sandwiches.html>

Thank you I did know what you meant, it is just that initially I thought
it was about hot dog rolls)

Oh and I never pull out soft bread from insides either

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
>Whirled Peas wrote:

>>> Ok)

>> Maybe some pictures would help.

>Maybe a bat upside the head would be better.

Sorry dwarf... tex mex tacos just don't cut it.

Furgeddaboud da rest, dis is da best:
http://www.lioniheroes.com/
http://www.menupages.com/restaurants...an-heroes/menu

Make mine Boar's head; mortadella, provolone, hot sopressata, head
cheese, sliced cherry peppers, sliced red onion, red leaf lettuce,
sliced roma tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar, oregano on a well baked
semolina loaf.
https://www.panerabread.com/en-us/me...emolina---loaf

Tough Sausage Casings Ned Buntline Barbecue 10 04-09-2006 06:08 PM
Sausage Casings Question ntantiques General Cooking 4 08-02-2006 01:38 PM
Sausage casings are tough. OK to restuff into new casings? Pierre Barbecue 3 07-06-2005 02:00 AM
Sausage casings M&M Barbecue 2 07-04-2004 01:26 AM
Sausage casings needed \Piedmont\ Barbecue 3 26-03-2004 04:31 PM