FoodBanter.com

-   -   Police raid (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/432740-police-raid.html)

sf[_9_] 06-03-2015 05:47 PM

Police raid

Don't they have anything better to do?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...71425654596337

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room

brooklyn1 06-03-2015 09:12 PM

Police raid

On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 06:10:54 +1100, Bruce > wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 08:47:18 -0800, sf > wrote:
>

>>Don't they have anything better to do?
>>http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...71425654596337

>The headline says "cops raid retiree's garden, seize okra plants". But
>what really happened is "the officers apologized and took some of the
>suspicious okra leaves". I guess that headline wouldn't attract as
>many readers.

I grow okra, only an ignorant southern Georgia boy would mistake pot
plants for okra, they look nothing alike... yeah, they're green but
entirely different growth habits.

Dave Smith[_1_] 06-03-2015 09:20 PM

Police raid

On 2015-03-06 2:10 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 08:47:18 -0800, sf > wrote:
>

>> Don't they have anything better to do?
>> http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...71425654596337

> The headline says "cops raid retiree's garden, seize okra plants". But
> what really happened is "the officers apologized and took some of the
> suspicious okra leaves". I guess that headline wouldn't attract as
> many readers.

Yep...and some people apparently don't read much further than the
headline. Someone sees the stock photo of okra pods and assumes the sops
are a bunch of dumb asses for seizing his crop when the fact is that
they mistook the leaves for pot, went to investigate and then left.

Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds 06-03-2015 09:37 PM

Police raid

In article >,
Brooklyn1 > wrote:

> On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 06:10:54 +1100, Bruce > wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 08:47:18 -0800, sf > wrote:
> >

> >>Don't they have anything better to do?
> >>http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...vily-armed-dru
> >>g-cops-raid-retirees-garden-seize-okra-plants/?postshare=4471425654596337

> >The headline says "cops raid retiree's garden, seize okra plants". But
> >what really happened is "the officers apologized and took some of the
> >suspicious okra leaves". I guess that headline wouldn't attract as
> >many readers.

> I grow okra, only an ignorant southern Georgia boy would mistake pot
> plants for okra, they look nothing alike... yeah, they're green but
> entirely different growth habits.

but don't you know that okra leaves give a much more nutritious high

sf[_9_] 06-03-2015 09:48 PM

Police raid

On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 15:20:24 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2015-03-06 2:10 PM, Bruce wrote:
> > On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 08:47:18 -0800, sf > wrote:
> >

> >> Don't they have anything better to do?
> >> http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...71425654596337

> > The headline says "cops raid retiree's garden, seize okra plants". But
> > what really happened is "the officers apologized and took some of the
> > suspicious okra leaves". I guess that headline wouldn't attract as
> > many readers.
> >

> Yep...and some people apparently don't read much further than the
> headline. Someone sees the stock photo of okra pods and assumes the sops
> are a bunch of dumb asses for seizing his crop when the fact is that
> they mistook the leaves for pot, went to investigate and then left.

Idiot cops that mistake okra leaves for marijuana leaves need
something better to do.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room

Ophelia[_11_] 06-03-2015 11:01 PM

Police raid

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 6 Mar 2015 14:42:54 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 08:47:18 -0800, sf wrote:
>>
>>> Don't they have anything better to do?
>>> http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...71425654596337

>>Sounds like he has a lawsuit. The cops took parts of his okra even
>>after it was determined it was not marijuana.
>>
>>Next they'll confiscate his car and his home, which would be perfectly
>>legal.

> All that supermarket food's affecting your brain.

A report I read in the paper, was of police arresting a bloke
after pulling up all the ...

tomato plants in his greenhouse ...
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Dave Smith[_1_] 06-03-2015 11:29 PM

Police raid

On 2015-03-06 3:48 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 15:20:24 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> The headline says "cops raid retiree's garden, seize okra plants". But
>>> what really happened is "the officers apologized and took some of the
>>> suspicious okra leaves". I guess that headline wouldn't attract as
>>> many readers.
>>>

>> Yep...and some people apparently don't read much further than the
>> headline. Someone sees the stock photo of okra pods and assumes the sops
>> are a bunch of dumb asses for seizing his crop when the fact is that
>> they mistook the leaves for pot, went to investigate and then left.

> Idiot cops that mistake okra leaves for marijuana leaves need
> something better to do.

The leaves look similar. They spotted it from a helicopter. They
followed up. It was no big deal. It's not like they seized the guy's
okra crop and shot that picture of it.

Julie Bove[_2_] 07-03-2015 12:42 AM

Police raid

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 15:20:24 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>> > The headline says "cops raid retiree's garden, seize okra plants". But
>> > what really happened is "the officers apologized and took some of the
>> > suspicious okra leaves". I guess that headline wouldn't attract as
>> > many readers.
>> >

>> Yep...and some people apparently don't read much further than the
>> headline. Someone sees the stock photo of okra pods and assumes the sops
>> are a bunch of dumb asses for seizing his crop when the fact is that
>> they mistook the leaves for pot, went to investigate and then left.

> Idiot cops that mistake okra leaves for marijuana leaves need
> something better to do.

I would think so! Maybe they are okra haters.

dsi1[_17_] 07-03-2015 12:44 AM

Police raid

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 1:42:23 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 15:20:24 -0500, Dave Smith
> > > wrote:

> >> Yep...and some people apparently don't read much further than the
> >> headline. Someone sees the stock photo of okra pods and assumes the sops
> >> are a bunch of dumb asses for seizing his crop when the fact is that
> >> they mistook the leaves for pot, went to investigate and then left.

> > Idiot cops that mistake okra leaves for marijuana leaves need
> > something better to do.
> >

> I would think so! Maybe they are okra haters.

I think they should legalize dope and make okra illegal. :-)

Julie Bove[_2_] 07-03-2015 12:47 AM

Police raid

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 1:42:23 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 15:20:24 -0500, Dave Smith

>> > Idiot cops that mistake okra leaves for marijuana leaves need
>> > something better to do.
>> >

>> I would think so! Maybe they are okra haters.

> I think they should legalize dope and make okra illegal. :-)

I'm sure that a lot of people would agree with you. I actually like okra
but I know that a lot of people don't.

Nancy2[_2_] 07-03-2015 12:54 AM

Police raid

Dsi1, i would go along with making okra illegal! Throw in turnips and asparagus while
you are at it.

N.

Jeßus[_3_] 07-03-2015 01:01 AM

Police raid

On Fri, 6 Mar 2015 15:54:35 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>Dsi1, i would go along with making okra illegal!

Yes. I've grown it, eaten it... but never particularly liked it.

>Throw in turnips and asparagus while
>you are at it.

Asparagus? No, that would be sacrilegious!

Dave Smith[_1_] 07-03-2015 01:13 AM

Police raid

On 2015-03-06 6:54 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> Dsi1, i would go along with making okra illegal! Throw in turnips and asparagus while
> you are at it.

Turnips???? sure. Asparagus???? No way. That is my number one favourite
vegetable.

Jeßus[_3_] 07-03-2015 01:38 AM

Police raid

On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 20:03:47 -0400, wrote:

>On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 11:01:05 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 6 Mar 2015 15:54:35 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:
>>
>>>Dsi1, i would go along with making okra illegal!

>>Yes. I've grown it, eaten it... but never particularly liked it.
>>
>>>Throw in turnips and asparagus while
>>>you are at it.

>>Asparagus? No, that would be sacrilegious!

>Agreed and to a certain degree likewise turnips.

Yes, I have nothing particularly against turnips either... but OTOH
wouldn't be devastated if I never ate one again either :)
Good for adding to stews at least...

Julie Bove[_2_] 07-03-2015 01:54 AM

Police raid

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2015-03-06 6:54 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
>> Dsi1, i would go along with making okra illegal! Throw in turnips and
>> asparagus while
>> you are at it.

> Turnips???? sure. Asparagus???? No way. That is my number one favourite
> vegetable.

I like raw turnips and can handle a small amount in a vegetable soup. But
you couldn't pay me to eat asparagus!

[email protected] 07-03-2015 02:50 AM

Police raid

I like turnip greens.

zxcvbob 07-03-2015 03:29 AM

Police raid

sf wrote:
> Don't they have anything better to do?
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...71425654596337

This happened in northern Georgia. So I guess we can be thankful that
they didn't murder any preachers or blow up a baby with a stun grenade
this time.

Bob

Jeßus[_3_] 07-03-2015 04:17 AM

Police raid

On Fri, 6 Mar 2015 16:54:34 -0800, "Julie Bove"

1:52 into https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krgUVduKFL4 ...

Jeßus[_3_] 07-03-2015 04:19 AM

Police raid

wrote:

>>>Agreed and to a certain degree likewise turnips.

>>Yes, I have nothing particularly against turnips either... but OTOH
>>wouldn't be devastated if I never ate one again either :)
>>Good for adding to stews at least...

>Can't imagine Cornish Pasty without turnip :(

True...

Ophelia[_11_] 07-03-2015 12:53 PM

Police raid

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 6 Mar 2015 22:01:51 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> All that supermarket food's affecting your brain.

>>A report I read in the paper, was of police arresting a bloke
>>after pulling up all the ...
>>
>>tomato plants in his greenhouse ...

> I hope they smuggled them home to smoke them.

lol I never thought of that:)) I run a small hydroponic unit and I've had
tradesmen doing work for me, looking at it most suspiciously and asking what
I was growing, until I told them they were tomato plants. Of course once
the fruit is growing there is no problem.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia[_11_] 07-03-2015 12:54 PM

Police raid

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 11:38:17 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>>>Agreed and to a certain degree likewise turnips.

>>Yes, I have nothing particularly against turnips either... but OTOH
>>wouldn't be devastated if I never ate one again either :)
>>Good for adding to stews at least...

> Can't imagine Cornish Pasty without turnip :(

Noooo not turnip! Swede ... yummie!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

S Viemeister[_2_] 07-03-2015 01:48 PM

Police raid

On 3/7/2015 6:54 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> > wrote in message

>> Can't imagine Cornish Pasty without turnip :(

> Noooo not turnip! Swede ... yummie!

Agreed!

James Silverton[_4_] 07-03-2015 02:51 PM

Police raid

wrote:

>>> Can't imagine Cornish Pasty without turnip :(

>> Noooo not turnip! Swede ... yummie!

> I think turnips are a most confounding thing - that's the one thing
> that I never remember who calls them what. There are other things,
> like don't say fortnight here, and I never refer to a week today etc.
> more problems with that, better to mention the date if it's important.
>
> Actually though, I like either in pasties.

As a child in Scotland, I don't remember eating small white turnips in
any form. They unsuccessfully tried to get me to eat Swedes and those
were always referred to as "turnips".

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

William[_5_] 07-03-2015 02:53 PM

Police raid

On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 12:37:24 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Brooklyn1 > wrote:

>> >The headline says "cops raid retiree's garden, seize okra plants". But
>> >what really happened is "the officers apologized and took some of the
>> >suspicious okra leaves". I guess that headline wouldn't attract as
>> >many readers.

>> I grow okra, only an ignorant southern Georgia boy would mistake pot
>> plants for okra, they look nothing alike... yeah, they're green but
>> entirely different growth habits.

>but don't you know that okra leaves give a much more nutritious high

It's really sad isn't it? Vodka is legal and Marijuana is not.
Cigarettes are legal and Cocaine is not. Stupid Victorian Laws that
are relics of the eighteeth century. Most of the ignorant people who
are keeping these laws in place are finally dieing off.

Marijuana does not have money on "K-Street" to stash in lawmakers
mailboxes to bribe them into legalizing pot and the legal drug makers
don't want MaryJane legally competing for their customers.

In the early twentieth century the government decided people were not
going to drink liquor any more. What did people do? My Great
Grandfather started making it in the backyard. His was so good, the
neighbors wanted him to make some for them.

So, we maintain the status quo.

William

S Viemeister[_2_] 07-03-2015 03:30 PM

Police raid

On 3/7/2015 8:51 AM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 3/7/2015 8:36 AM, wrote:
>> I think turnips are a most confounding thing - that's the one thing
>> that I never remember who calls them what. There are other things,
>> like don't say fortnight here, and I never refer to a week today etc.
>> more problems with that, better to mention the date if it's important.
>>
>> Actually though, I like either in pasties.
>>

> As a child in Scotland, I don't remember eating small white turnips in
> any form. They unsuccessfully tried to get me to eat Swedes and those
> were always referred to as "turnips".

In many areas of Scotland, swedes/rutabagas/yellow turnips are called
neeps. I don't think I've ever heard the white ones called neeps.

Ophelia[_11_] 07-03-2015 03:37 PM

Police raid

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 7 Mar 2015 11:53:24 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Fri, 6 Mar 2015 22:01:51 -0000, "Ophelia"

m...

>>> I hope they smuggled them home to smoke them.

>>lol I never thought of that:)) I run a small hydroponic unit and I've had
>>tradesmen doing work for me, looking at it most suspiciously and asking
>>what
>>I was growing, until I told them they were tomato plants. Of course once
>>the fruit is growing there is no problem.

> Maybe they were thinking of an alternative form of payment. We had a
> helicopter flying over our place the other day. I'm not sure whose
> property they were looking at exactly, but I do pick up an
> unmistakable smell not far from our place, when we drive to town :) I
> think they should have bigger things to worry about though.

I have heard that helicopters searching for the lamps used in growing drug
stuff.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia[_11_] 07-03-2015 03:38 PM

Police raid

wrote:

>>> Noooo not turnip! Swede ... yummie!

>> I think turnips are a most confounding thing - that's the one thing
>> that I never remember who calls them what. There are other things,
>> like don't say fortnight here, and I never refer to a week today etc.
>> more problems with that, better to mention the date if it's important.
>>
>> Actually though, I like either in pasties.
>>

> As a child in Scotland, I don't remember eating small white turnips in any
> form. They unsuccessfully tried to get me to eat Swedes and those were
> always referred to as "turnips".

Yes, the do call them turnips here but ther are swedes (rutabaga). I hate
turnips and they can flavour a whole dish ... Bleagh!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia[_11_] 07-03-2015 03:39 PM

Police raid

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 3/7/2015 8:51 AM, James Silverton wrote:
>> On 3/7/2015 8:36 AM, wrote:
>>> I think turnips are a most confounding thing - that's the one thing
>>> that I never remember who calls them what. There are other things,
>>> like don't say fortnight here, and I never refer to a week today etc.
>>> more problems with that, better to mention the date if it's important.
>>>
>>> Actually though, I like either in pasties.
>>>

>> As a child in Scotland, I don't remember eating small white turnips in
>> any form. They unsuccessfully tried to get me to eat Swedes and those
>> were always referred to as "turnips".
>>

> In many areas of Scotland, swedes/rutabagas/yellow turnips are called
> neeps. I don't think I've ever heard the white ones called neeps.

True but they do call swedes 'turnip' in a lot of places.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia[_11_] 07-03-2015 03:41 PM

Police raid

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 7 Mar 2015 11:53:24 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

om...

>>>lol I never thought of that:)) I run a small hydroponic unit and I've
>>>had
>>>tradesmen doing work for me, looking at it most suspiciously and asking
>>>what
>>>I was growing, until I told them they were tomato plants. Of course once
>>>the fruit is growing there is no problem.

>> Maybe they were thinking of an alternative form of payment. We had a
>> helicopter flying over our place the other day. I'm not sure whose
>> property they were looking at exactly, but I do pick up an
>> unmistakable smell not far from our place, when we drive to town :) I
>> think they should have bigger things to worry about though.

> I have heard that helicopters searching for the lamps used in growing drug
> stuff.

I ought to have said 'heat seeking' iyswim

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

S Viemeister[_2_] 07-03-2015 03:49 PM

Police raid

On 3/7/2015 9:39 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "S Viemeister" > wrote
>>> As a child in Scotland, I don't remember eating small white turnips in
>>> any form. They unsuccessfully tried to get me to eat Swedes and those
>>> were always referred to as "turnips".

>> In many areas of Scotland, swedes/rutabagas/yellow turnips are called
>> neeps. I don't think I've ever heard the white ones called neeps.

> True but they do call swedes 'turnip' in a lot of places.

Yes, and it can be annoying. I dislike the white turnips, but enjoy the
taste of neeps.

Gary 07-03-2015 04:03 PM

Police raid

Bruce wrote:

> We had a
> helicopter flying over our place the other day. I'm not sure whose
> property they were looking at exactly, but I do pick up an
> unmistakable smell not far from our place, when we drive to town :)

I *might have* grown a crop of pot in the past. ;)
One thing I do know is that it doesn't smell while growing.
Unmistakable smell while smoking it, but not while growing.

G. :)

James Silverton[_4_] 07-03-2015 04:19 PM

Police raid

On 3/7/2015 9:39 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "S Viemeister" > wrote in message

>>> As a child in Scotland, I don't remember eating small white turnips in
>>> any form. They unsuccessfully tried to get me to eat Swedes and those
>>> were always referred to as "turnips".
>>>

>> In many areas of Scotland, swedes/rutabagas/yellow turnips are called
>> neeps. I don't think I've ever heard the white ones called neeps.

> True but they do call swedes 'turnip' in a lot of places.

It's a thoroughly mixed up set of names. As I implied, I always wished
to ignore all of the varieties when I was growing up in the Highlands
but my impression is that Swedes (Rutabagas) were called "neeps" in the
Lowlands. This may be recent since Burns has no mention of neep in his
poetry. I've searched the Gutenberg file but he doesn't mention "turnip"
either even if mashed "neeps" are traditional with the haggis at a Burns
supper.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Dave Smith[_1_] 07-03-2015 04:47 PM

Police raid

On 2015-03-07 10:03 AM, Gary wrote:

> I *might have* grown a crop of pot in the past. ;)
> One thing I do know is that it doesn't smell while growing.
> Unmistakable smell while smoking it, but not while growing.

Actually, there is quite a strong smell to it when it is ready for picking.

There was a big grow up just down the road from my house. There was a
house with greenhouses. There have also been a couple other larger
operations in the area, usually in greenhouses. Pot is more profitable
than cucumbers.

I have to shake my head in wonder when I hear the cops and other public
officials complaining about grow ups being dangerous and how they steal
power to run them. Sure, they use illegal hook ups to avoid the cost of
large amounts of electricity. If they had a legal hookup and used that
much power the cops would be looking into it. If it was legal.... they
would not have to use illegal hookups.

Dave Smith[_1_] 07-03-2015 04:50 PM

Police raid

On 2015-03-07 10:22 AM, wrote:
> neeps. I don't think I've ever heard the white ones called neeps.
>>
>> True but they do call swedes 'turnip' in a lot of places.

> They call them all turnips here, they don't know swedes.

Around here, Swedes are people from Sweden. ;-)

Roy[_2_] 07-03-2015 05:10 PM

Police raid

On Saturday, March 7, 2015 at 4:55:00 AM UTC-7, Ophelia wrote:
> > wrote in message

> >>Yes, I have nothing particularly against turnips either... but OTOH
> >>wouldn't be devastated if I never ate one again either :)
> >>Good for adding to stews at least...

> > Can't imagine Cornish Pasty without turnip :(

> Noooo not turnip! Swede ... yummie!
>
> --

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Rutabagas are great...we always grew them on my folks farm. I have grown them but they are very susceptible to invasion of the flea beetles which attack canola crops which grow all around my farm. So I find for all I use, I can buy them and they are relatively cheap, plentiful and not full of flee beetle larvae.

Gary 07-03-2015 05:14 PM

Police raid

William wrote:

> In the early twentieth century the government decided people were not
> going to drink liquor any more. What did people do? My Great
> Grandfather started making it in the backyard. His was so good, the
> neighbors wanted him to make some for them.

Unless I've heard wrong, I believe that the Kennedy's made their
fortune by bootleging booze during those times. Feel free to correct
me if I'm wrong.

G.

James Silverton[_4_] 07-03-2015 05:18 PM

Police raid

On 3/7/2015 10:50 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-03-07 10:22 AM, wrote:
>> neeps. I don't think I've ever heard the white ones called neeps.
>>>
>>> True but they do call swedes 'turnip' in a lot of places.

>> They call them all turnips here, they don't know swedes.
>>

> Around here, Swedes are people from Sweden. ;-)

I suppose you mean differentiation by using a capital for the people but
it would be good to know where "around here" refers to.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Reggie 07-03-2015 05:37 PM

Police raid

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 11:14:24 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>>William wrote:
>>>
>>> In the early twentieth century the government decided people were not
>>> going to drink liquor any more. What did people do? My Great
>>> Grandfather started making it in the backyard. His was so good, the
>>> neighbors wanted him to make some for them.

>>Unless I've heard wrong, I believe that the Kennedy's made their
>>fortune by bootleging booze during those times. Feel free to correct
>>me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>G.

> No, you're correct.
>
> People have stills here and there were many rum running routes. When
> I lived on the coast I used to buy 'local' rum and it was very tasty
> and the price was more than right compared to buying at the liquor
> store :)
>
> I would like our people here to wait and see what happens in Colorado.
> The thing I don't like about pot usage is that it appears to sap
> peoples ambition. I know two people in their 40s who should have
> done very well but with constant smoking they seemed to lose their
> drive. There is apparently a study that shows teens should be kept
> away from it, you shouldn't be indulging until the brain has done all
> it's growing.

Not to worry. Whatever deleterious effects it has on them, they will still
get to vote to take away your hard earned money so they will not have to
suffer too much for their lack of ambition.

sf[_9_] 07-03-2015 05:43 PM

Police raid

On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 11:14:24 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> William wrote:
> >
> > In the early twentieth century the government decided people were not
> > going to drink liquor any more. What did people do? My Great
> > Grandfather started making it in the backyard. His was so good, the
> > neighbors wanted him to make some for them.

> Unless I've heard wrong, I believe that the Kennedy's made their
> fortune by bootleging booze during those times. Feel free to correct
> me if I'm wrong.

According to what was on TV the other day, prohibition was the cause
of us using all those too sweet mixers in cocktails (to cover up the
true flavor of bathtub gin and moonshine).

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room

Reggie 07-03-2015 05:47 PM

Police raid

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 11:14:24 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>> William wrote:
>> >
>> > In the early twentieth century the government decided people were not
>> > going to drink liquor any more. What did people do? My Great
>> > Grandfather started making it in the backyard. His was so good, the
>> > neighbors wanted him to make some for them.

>> Unless I've heard wrong, I believe that the Kennedy's made their
>> fortune by bootleging booze during those times. Feel free to correct
>> me if I'm wrong.
>>

> According to what was on TV the other day, prohibition was the cause
> of us using all those too sweet mixers in cocktails (to cover up the
> true flavor of bathtub gin and moonshine).

Worse than that, prohibition was the big kick off for the income tax
monster, to replace the revenues from tax on alcohol. Now we have both,
bigger and badder.