Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Police raid

On Sun, 08 Mar 2015 10:50:33 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 3/8/2015 10:26 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> >> The politicians here always tie the military's hands behind their
> >> backs rather than sending them in to war to win quickly and
> >> efficiently. We could have ended the Vietnam war in 6 months if the
> >> military was given free reign to do what they can do without
> >> restraint. That's all Johnson's fault.
> >>
> >> Iraq could have been finished with during the first war when they
> >> invaded Kuwait but we chased them out and didn't follow them into
> >> their own country to end the threat.
> >>
> >> Patton wanted to invade Russia after Europe was won. They were hurting
> >> and we probably could have done that, thus preventing the infamous
> >> Cold War.
> >>
> >> And want to go back to WW2? Japan started the Pacific part, we kicked
> >> their ass after a few years, even to the point of "melting" many of
> >> their civilians at the end.
> >>
> >> The "stick" has always been there. Just to hesitant to use it full
> >> force.

> > And after all that went on in the early '60s with the Cuban blockade
> > it was all for nought if our immature pres makes a deal with Castro...
> > the only deal is to take over the entire island and make it a
> > possession... woulda been if JFK wasn't so preoccupied chasing skirts.
> > A lot of sailers suffered for a whole year for nothing.
> >

> Oh yeah, the sailors had a hard time in Cuba but the last 50 years ain't
> been a cakewalk for the Cubans either. Are you absolutely sure that you
> were in the Navy?

Oh, good grief. The hermit is still fighting the Cold War? If Putin
gets his way the USSR will be resurrected and then they can both die
happy.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8 Mar 2015 23:22:58 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2015-03-07, Gary > wrote:
>
> > I *might have* grown a crop of pot in the past.

> > One thing I do know is that it doesn't smell while growing.

> Your second statement proves you either grew a small plot outdoors or
> your first statement is a lie. Regardless, indoor growers spend
> thousands of dollars on aroma filtering equipment. Blooming cannabis
> positively reeks!

Maybe he pulled the plants before they bloomed.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8 Mar 2015 23:22:58 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2015-03-07, Gary > wrote:
>
>> I *might have* grown a crop of pot in the past.

>> One thing I do know is that it doesn't smell while growing.

>Your second statement proves you either grew a small plot outdoors or
>your first statement is a lie. Regardless, indoor growers spend
>thousands of dollars on aroma filtering equipment. Blooming cannabis
>positively reeks!

Modern strains certainly do, they can even smell strongly before
flowering.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> Don't they have anything better to do?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...71425654596337

LOL. Years ago, a local mother came to the door to accuse me of
cultivating cannabis in my veg garden. She insisted she knew exactly
where "the large plantation" was so there was no point denying it, etc.
Her teen son had tipped her off.

It was the sweetcorn patch.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-03-08 19:35, sf wrote:

>> I know how you feel.

> I don't like that troll when it's in this persona. Never have, never
> will and will be as nasty as I can muster. You're different. We
> fight like family because we have common ground. Right now, I'm not
> happy with you... but that could change on a dime.

Therein lies the problem... changing on a dime.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Mar 2015 21:33:31 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2015-03-08 19:35, sf wrote:
>
> >> I know how you feel.

> > I don't like that troll when it's in this persona. Never have, never
> > will and will be as nasty as I can muster. You're different. We
> > fight like family because we have common ground. Right now, I'm not
> > happy with you... but that could change on a dime.
> >

> Therein lies the problem... changing on a dime.

Get used to it or die.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Mar 2015 01:20:14 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>They were laughing at your ignorance of when the "Victorian era" was.
>
> Janet UK

Folks here in "the colonies" didn't attach much significance to it.
The people who want to smoke still do it and the cops still arrest the
most "in your face" violators of the marijuana laws. Most Americans in
2015 realize that there is no reason for marijuana to be singled out
as an illiegal drug when every other mind altering substance is legal
for Americans to indulge and abuse.

It allows Police Departments to justify numbers of employees on the
payroll. Reminds me of a little bump in the road in Florida. In
Florida, on US Route 301 there is a bump in the road which has been
declared a town, Waldo. The Police Chief decided he would use the
tourists driving through his town as a criminal enterprise. His
department set up speed limit signs that decreased and increased every
half mile or so. The motorists were set up to get tickets
continuously. Finally, the state fired the Chief and put him in jail.
They had the record for writing more speeding tickets than anywhere
else in the US. Just another example of a Police department with 80%
more Officers than it really needed for the town, just to write
speeding tickets. How stupid is that? The place was so outrageous
victims put huge billboards on the side of the road as you approach
the town warning it was a speed trap. As motorists approached, they
would be carefully monitoring their speed but still fall into the
speed trap with Officers using Lasers on them. Only in America!

http://youtu.be/swb1w3NqmqQ

William
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Mar 2015 14:51:24 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>so why do you refer to it, as if you had a clue what you're talking
>about?

do the people currently living in the British Isles abide by the rules
and regulations and social morays established during the Victorian
Era?

William
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/9/2015 11:24 AM, William wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Mar 2015 14:51:24 -0000, Janet > wrote:
>
>> so why do you refer to it, as if you had a clue what you're talking
>> about?

> do the people currently living in the British Isles abide by the rules
> and regulations and social morays established during the Victorian
> Era?

What do eels have to do with the subject? (Although - they are edible,
and this IS rec.food.cooking...)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 8, 2015 at 12:07:11 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Mar 2015 10:50:33 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On 3/8/2015 10:26 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> >> And after all that went on in the early '60s with the Cuban blockade
> >> it was all for nought if our immature pres makes a deal with Castro...
> >> the only deal is to take over the entire island and make it a
> >> possession... woulda been if JFK wasn't so preoccupied chasing skirts.
> >> A lot of sailers suffered for a whole year for nothing.
> >>

> >Oh yeah, the sailors had a hard time in Cuba but the last 50 years ain't
> >been a cakewalk for the Cubans either. Are you absolutely sure that you
> >were in the Navy?

> It has not been easy for the Cubans. Castro is spending his old age
> with bimbos on an island and spending some of his wealth (said to me
> by a regular Cuban) - those who get jobs at resorts count themselves
> very fortunate. However they are not over keen to see McDogs arrive.
> They are anyway emerging from a communist centred past, they can now
> buy and sell their homes.
>
> A terrible sight are all the Russian built apartment blocks. All the
> wrong thing for a tropical climate, hopefully soon they will be able
> to raise them and build something better.
>
> They do have great hospitals and doctors but they are lacking the nuts
> and bolts such as antibiotics with which to treat people. If you go,
> they would rather you take 'stuff' as opposed to giving them tips,
> tips can't buy 'stuff'. Scribblers for kids, band aids, and
> particularly plain old Aspirin are popular. All the normal things one
> finds in a drug store that we don't think twice about is manna from
> heaven to them.

Thanks for the useful info. Hopefully, they can preserve some of that late 50's vibe in this time of normalization. I think the tourists would find it appealing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 8, 2015 at 1:33:07 PM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Mar 2015 10:50:33 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:

> > > And after all that went on in the early '60s with the Cuban blockade
> > > it was all for nought if our immature pres makes a deal with Castro...
> > > the only deal is to take over the entire island and make it a
> > > possession... woulda been if JFK wasn't so preoccupied chasing skirts.
> > > A lot of sailers suffered for a whole year for nothing.
> > >

> > Oh yeah, the sailors had a hard time in Cuba but the last 50 years ain't
> > been a cakewalk for the Cubans either. Are you absolutely sure that you
> > were in the Navy?

> Oh, good grief. The hermit is still fighting the Cold War? If Putin
> gets his way the USSR will be resurrected and then they can both die
> happy.

Those were the good old days! :-)

> --
> A kitchen without a cook is just a room

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Mar 2015 22:25:25 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>> do the people currently living in the British Isles abide by the rules
>> and regulations and social morays established during the Victorian
>> Era?

> Of course not. Plus, they know Victoria did not live in the 18th
>century.
>

> Moray is a place in Scotland, and is still there.
>
> Janet UK

Glad to know this Janet, and thanks for the spell check! Is it true
that people were discouraged from having sex during during this
enlightened period?

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf æ–¼ 2015-3-7 0:47 寫é“:

> Don't they have anything better to do?
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...71425654596337

Just a couple of days before Chinese new year, this time is at Feb.19,
I've seen the okra, or lady's fingers in my first time. But those okra
is dried therefore become light and with dust colour.

--
多疑之人å—人疑.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Qu...by_Bassano.jpg

> Makes me think of a (I think) Yorkshire expression that tha don't look
> at the mantle when you're poking the fire

lol true, just about right.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in
:

>> Makes me think of a (I think) Yorkshire expression that tha
>> don't look at the mantle when you're poking the fire

> Depends on whose picture is on the mantle.

Mickey's?

--

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice,
you have chosen the side of the oppressor " --
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
lid says...

wrote:

> >>That only proves she had sex nine times in her life.

> >Not really, I think she was probably quite a sexy little minx.

> I guess that depends on your definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Qu...by_Bassano.jpg

You surely realise that a public portrait might have little connection
to private reality?

Victoria's private diaries are now available to the public, and
portray a passionate marriage. Her account of the wedding night is a
sizzler :-)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...y/9287600/The-
intimate-diaries-of-Queen-Victoria-go-online-for-the-first-time.html

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in
news
>>> Depends on whose picture is on the mantle.

>>Mickey's?

> Crash the cymbals lol

I find this works well:

http://instantrimshot.com/

--

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice,
you have chosen the side of the oppressor " --
Desmond Tutu
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-03-10 11:02 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> I guess that depends on your definition:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Qu...by_Bassano.jpg
>>

> That photo does not look very sexy by today's standards, but that does
> not mean she did not like to have sex. Just as most of us never thought
> our parents ever had sex because old people didn't know about that stuff.

Who needs good looks when you own half the world, and your extended
family owns most of the rest of it? ;-)

Venereal diseases were a major problem,especially in the military. Close
to 1/3 of the armed forces were laid up at one time or another with a
dose. Many of the prostitutes had VD of one type or another. Even the
upper class had problems with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/10/2015 8:05 AM, Bruce wrote:

>>> That only proves she had sex nine times in her life.

>> Not really, I think she was probably quite a sexy little minx.

> I guess that depends on your definition:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Qu...by_Bassano.jpg

That photo does not look very sexy by today's standards, but that does
not mean she did not like to have sex. Just as most of us never thought
our parents ever had sex because old people didn't know about that stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/03/2015 9:01 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-03-10 11:02 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>>> I guess that depends on your definition:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Qu...by_Bassano.jpg
>>>

>> That photo does not look very sexy by today's standards, but that does
>> not mean she did not like to have sex. Just as most of us never thought
>> our parents ever had sex because old people didn't know about that stuff.

> Who needs good looks when you own half the world, and your extended
> family owns most of the rest of it? ;-)
>
> Venereal diseases were a major problem,especially in the military. Close
> to 1/3 of the armed forces were laid up at one time or another with a
> dose. Many of the prostitutes had VD of one type or another. Even the
> upper class had problems with it.

I know an army medic who had the misfortune to be posted to Rwanda
during the genocide. Apparently the soldiers she had to treat were none
too careful either - and that was when HIV was rife!
Graham

--
"Excess on occasion is exhilarating.
It prevents moderation from acquiring
Posted to rec.food.cooking

lucretia wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 11:01:45 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

> >> That photo does not look very sexy by today's standards, but that does
> >> not mean she did not like to have sex. Just as most of us never thought
> >> our parents ever had sex because old people didn't know about that stuff.

> >Who needs good looks when you own half the world, and your extended
> >family owns most of the rest of it? ;-)
> >
> >Venereal diseases were a major problem,especially in the military. Close
> >to 1/3 of the armed forces were laid up at one time or another with a
> >dose. Many of the prostitutes had VD of one type or another. Even the
> >upper class had problems with it.

> Syphilis - think Churchills father died slowly and painfully of it.

As did Winston's nemesis Adolf Hitler...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-03-10 2:46 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 09:54:49 -0700 (PDT),
> wrote:
>
>> lucretia wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 11:01:45 -0400, Dave Smith

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Qu...by_Bassano.jpg

>>> Syphilis - think Churchills father died slowly and painfully of it.

>> As did Winston's nemesis Adolf Hitler...

> Didn't he die kind of instantly?

If we can believe the people in the bunker, it was lead poisoning.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-03-10 2:55 PM, wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 05:45:26 +1100, Bruce > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 11:01:45 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Qu...by_Bassano.jpg

>>> Who needs good looks when you own half the world, and your extended
>>> family owns most of the rest of it? ;-)
>>>
>>> Venereal diseases were a major problem,especially in the military. Close
>>> to 1/3 of the armed forces were laid up at one time or another with a
>>> dose. Many of the prostitutes had VD of one type or another. Even the
>>> upper class had problems with it.

>> In 19th century France it was a status symbol for men. You hadn't
>> lived unless...

> David told me that when his ship was heading to the Seychelles the
> captain was told to really warn the ships company that sex with the
> local and very beautiful women was risky to say the least, highest
> level of venereal disease. So he duly preached to them and
> threatened them.
>
> The visit took place, they left, and after a suitable interval the doc
> reported to the captain he was concerned because none of the men were
> showing up with VD and they must know by now. He felt perhaps they
> didn't want to come forward because the captain had stressed the
> danger so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh9ZZgDqzAg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
lid says...

wrote:

> >> I guess that depends on your definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Qu...by_Bassano.jpg

> > You surely realise that a public portrait might have little connection
> >to private reality?

> Yes, she probably looked her best in that portrait

Not many women look their best at age 63 :-)

Victoria as a young woman, looking sexier for her husband.

http://tinyurl.com/6v7yeto

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
lid says...

> >> I guess that depends on your definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Qu...by_Bassano.jpg

> >That photo does not look very sexy by today's standards, but that does
> >not mean she did not like to have sex.

> No, but with who?

Her husband, and after his death, reputedly with her Indian servant and
her Scottish ghillie.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 20:29:21 -0000, Janet > wrote:

> Not many women look their best at age 63 :-)
>
> Victoria as a young woman, looking sexier for her husband.
>
>http://tinyurl.com/6v7yeto
>
> Janet UK

She looks "Smokin Hot" to me! How old was she in that shot?

William
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 10:50:26 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 20:31:02 -0000, Janet > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> says...

> >> No, but with who?

> > Her husband, and after his death, reputedly with her Indian servant and
> >her Scottish ghillie.

> Ghillie: "In origin it referred especially to someone who attended on
> his employer or guests." (wiki)
>
> I had to check that.
>
> --
> Bruce

I think it was used in the sense that he was the groundskeeper at their estate in Scotland. A "ghillie suit" these days refers to the follage-camoflaged suits sometimes worn by sniper teams.