Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Haggen takeover has begun!

My friend lives in Shoreline and Haggen went in there last week. She and
her friend went to check it out and were horrified at the high prices and
lack of customer care. Her store had been a Safeway so they still had
plenty of the Lucerne brand things but not much of the Haggen brand. Their
ad consisted of a few measly coupons. They did not allow them to buy the
Lucerne brand eggs with the coupon and yet they had no Haggen brand. There
is a coupon for Hass avocados and there was a problem there as well but I
can't remember now. They either didn't have them or they weren't good. One
coupon was for free bananas with $10 purchase but the other three coupons
were not for things that they needed. She said they wound up doing the bulk
of their grocery shopping elsewhere so as not to have to pay those high
prices.

Then the very next day, I got a flyer, announcing that the Albertson's by
the dance studio is now a Haggen. I went there to check it out. I did use
my $5 off of a $25 order but I had a hard time coming up with that much
stuff to buy because I would not pay their prices. I really only needed
cottage cheese and a PeeChee type folder. I had hoped they might have some
clearance items or unadvertised specials, but, no.

I don't know where the shopping carts came from. Old, black metal ones with
the paint scraped off in many places. They were all in such bad shape they
would barely push down the aisles. They were like an old car that needed
shock absorbers.

And much is missing in the store. Where displays of merchandise once stood,
now there is just blank floor. This was one of the smaller Albertsons so
now the amount of merchandise for sale is smaller still.

I can't see myself going back. I spoke to another woman who was very
dissatisfied. She said she came in just to fill a prescription. She lives
nearby and there is no drug store near there. They changed the way they do
things in the pharmacy and nobody knew what they were doing. She said she
was told to come back in half an hour so they could figure things out.
Meanwhile, she looked around. Told me that they meat prices were horrible.
I took her word for that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 5:16:46 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> I did use my $5 off of a $25 order but I had a hard time coming up
> with that much stuff to buy because I would not pay their prices.

Maybe you'll starve to death. Everyone here will miss your constant
complaining.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 3:16:46 PM UTC-8, Julie Bove wrote:

IF you shop at a takeover store the first week it is opened, then don't expect the full fledged Haggen.

Haggen started here in Bellingham, they are one of the best stores in the region. They are not a cut rate, discount, cheapo store. They are high end. The store is obviously not completed.

Wait a month and go back. You will be amazed at the difference.
Don't expect cheap though. They are better than that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-03-05 23:16:34 +0000, Julie Bove said:

> My friend lives in Shoreline and Haggen went in there last week. She
> and her friend went to check it out and were horrified at the high
> prices and lack of customer care. Her store had been a Safeway so they
> still had plenty of the Lucerne brand things but not much of the Haggen
> brand. Their ad consisted of a few measly coupons. They did not allow
> them to buy the Lucerne brand eggs with the coupon and yet they had no
> Haggen brand. There is a coupon for Hass avocados and there was a
> problem there as well but I can't remember now. They either didn't
> have them or they weren't good. One coupon was for free bananas with
> $10 purchase but the other three coupons were not for things that they
> needed. She said they wound up doing the bulk of their grocery
> shopping elsewhere so as not to have to pay those high prices.
>
> Then the very next day, I got a flyer, announcing that the Albertson's
> by the dance studio is now a Haggen. I went there to check it out. I
> did use my $5 off of a $25 order but I had a hard time coming up with
> that much stuff to buy because I would not pay their prices. I really
> only needed cottage cheese and a PeeChee type folder. I had hoped they
> might have some clearance items or unadvertised specials, but, no.
>
> I don't know where the shopping carts came from. Old, black metal ones
> with the paint scraped off in many places. They were all in such bad
> shape they would barely push down the aisles. They were like an old
> car that needed shock absorbers.
>
> And much is missing in the store. Where displays of merchandise once
> stood, now there is just blank floor. This was one of the smaller
> Albertsons so now the amount of merchandise for sale is smaller still.
>
> I can't see myself going back. I spoke to another woman who was very
> dissatisfied. She said she came in just to fill a prescription. She
> lives nearby and there is no drug store near there. They changed the
> way they do things in the pharmacy and nobody knew what they were
> doing. She said she was told to come back in half an hour so they
> could figure things out. Meanwhile, she looked around. Told me that
> they meat prices were horrible. I took her word for that.

Keep us apprised of any changes. The transition and/or final situation
may turn out to be BAD! REAL BAD!!! Whereupon I will want to know so
I can put it in my folder.
--
Food good! Fire BAD!! - Frankenstein's Monster

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 3:16:46 PM UTC-8, Julie Bove wrote:
>

> IF you shop at a takeover store the first week it is opened, then don't
> expect the full fledged Haggen.
>
> Haggen started here in Bellingham, they are one of the best stores in the
> region. They are not a cut rate, discount, cheapo store. They are high
> end. The store is obviously not completed.
>
> Wait a month and go back. You will be amazed at the difference.
> Don't expect cheap though. They are better than that.

I don't think so. I grew up with a Haggen within walking distance of our
house. The only thing we bought there on a regular basis was grab bags from
the bakery. Every night at 8:00 p.m., they put them out. Almost always 13
items in there for 99 cents. The items were almost always donuts. Once in
a great while there would be a cookie or muffin. My parents loved them. I
hated them.

My mom would send me up there once in a while to pick up something that she
needed but they were never the store that we used for our regular grocery
shopping.

I see no need for a store like this now, especially since Winco and Walmart
are now carrying more gourmet and organic items. Winco has the best cheese
prices and the best cheese selection of anywhere around here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Glutton" > wrote in message

> Keep us apprised of any changes. The transition and/or final situation
> may turn out to be BAD! REAL BAD!!! Whereupon I will want to know so I
> can put it in my folder.

I shall.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 5:23:52 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Glutton" > wrote in message
>
> > Keep us apprised of any changes. The transition and/or final situation
> > may turn out to be BAD! REAL BAD!!! Whereupon I will want to know so I
> > can put it in my folder.

> I shall.

Julie if I were to open a store in your county...would you do me a favor...don't patronize my store...PLEASE. It would be my death knell if you were to advertise your shopping experience around the neighborhood. Sounds like you could be hypercritical after first impression. Give the store mentioned a chance before making the final judgement.

====
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
On Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 5:23:52 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Glutton" > wrote in message
>
> > Keep us apprised of any changes. The transition and/or final situation
> > may turn out to be BAD! REAL BAD!!! Whereupon I will want to know so I
> > can put it in my folder.

> I shall.

Julie if I were to open a store in your county...would you do me a
favor...don't patronize my store...PLEASE. It would be my death knell if you
were to advertise your shopping experience around the neighborhood. Sounds
like you could be hypercritical after first impression. Give the store
mentioned a chance before making the final judgement.

====

Why should I? As I said... I grew up within walking distance of a Haggen.
I have no issues with the quality of the food. But the prices? Only reason
I went to that store was because I was too young to drive. There was that
and L & N which was a tiny place but I preferred them. They had a better
selection of candy and they were owned by my friend's grandparents.

I'm all about quality and good prices. I already have stores that fit those
needs. Why should I pay $2.99 for something when I get get the same exact
item for $1.38 somewhere else? And neither of these places are near my
house. I have to drive about 6 miles to go to either store. Yes, I have to
bag my own groceries at the cheaper store but... I have no problems doing
that. Heck, I bagged my own stuff at Central Market the other day because I
was in a hurry and wanted to get out of there. I did have less than a full
bag of stuff that I was buying so that wasn't a big deal at all.

Honestly, I can't see most of the Haggen stores making a go of it in this
area. The one in Woodinville? Perhaps. I think the only other grocery
stores they currently have are Safeway and Albertsons but there is no
telling what will happen to them as they are being converted to Haggen as
well. They do have a Costco, Target and I think a Dollar Tree. I have
Central Market and a little further out, Whole Foods. I don't need another
upscale store. Especially not one that offers me even less selection than
what I can get elsewhere.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Then by all means, please don't shop there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 7:01:58 PM UTC-8, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> Then by all means, please don't shop there.

I don't intend to. Looks to me like that will be the only one going up in
this area, for now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 Mar 2015 15:16:34 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>My friend lives in Shoreline and Haggen went in there last week.

Why would you or your 'friends' give the slighted shit.
Can't you think or fend for yourselves?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 5 Mar 2015 16:02:41 -0800, Glutton wrote:
>
>> Keep us apprised of any changes.

> Are you nuts?!?!

What kind of nuts? Roasted? Salted?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-03-06 06:49:00 +0000, Sqwertz said:

> On Thu, 5 Mar 2015 16:02:41 -0800, Glutton wrote:
>
>> Keep us apprised of any changes.

> Are you nuts?!?!

No, but perusing the posts here I see I must have been sleep-walking.
I'm definitely going to stop with the Ambien.
--
Food good! Fire BAD!! - Frankenstein's Monster

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 6:16:46 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> My friend lives in Shoreline and Haggen went in there last week. She and
> her friend went to check it out and were horrified at the high prices and
> lack of customer care. Her store had been a Safeway so they still had
> plenty of the Lucerne brand things but not much of the Haggen brand. Their
> ad consisted of a few measly coupons. When theyThey did not allow them to buy the
> Lucerne brand eggs with the coupon and yet they had no Haggen brand. There
> is a coupon for Hass avocados and there was a problem there as well but I
> can't remember now. They either didn't have them or they weren't good. One
> coupon was for free bananas with $10 purchase but the other three coupons
> were not for things that they needed. She said they wound up doing the bulk
> of their grocery shopping elsewhere so as not to have to pay those high
> prices.
>
> Then the very next day, I got a flyer, announcing that the Albertson's by
> the dance studio is now a Haggen. I went there to check it out. I did use
> my $5 off of a $25 order but I had a hard time coming up with that much
> stuff to buy because I would not pay their prices. I really only needed
> cottage cheese and a PeeChee type folder. I had hoped they might have some
> clearance items or unadvertised specials, but, no.
>
> I don't know where the shopping carts came from. Old, black metal ones with
> the paint scraped off in many places. They were all in such bad shape they
> would barely push down the aisles. They were like an old car that needed
> shock absorbers.
>
> And much is missing in the store. Where displays of merchandise once stood,
> now there is just blank floor. This was one of the smaller Albertsons so
> now the amount of merchandise for sale is smaller still.
>
> I can't see myself going back. I spoke to another woman who was very
> dissatisfied. She said she came in just to fill a prescription. She lives
> nearby and there is no drug store near there. They changed the way they do
> things in the pharmacy and nobody knew what they were doing. She said she
> was told to come back in half an hour so they could figure things out.
> Meanwhile, she looked around. Told me that they meat prices were horrible.
> I took her word for that.

When they maunufacture shopping carts they put 1 bad wheel on them on purpose.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> When they maunufacture shopping carts they put 1 bad wheel on them on purpose.

LOL! +1 ;-)

Weirdness at Haggen Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 0 05-04-2016 03:25 AM
Haggen problems! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 36 22-09-2015 04:35 AM
Takeover Play tutall Barbecue 7 02-07-2013 10:44 PM
Takeover Play Does it really matter? General Cooking 4 02-07-2013 09:07 PM
Another Corporate Takeover - Sorta OT SportKite1 General Cooking 8 07-06-2004 02:33 PM