Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default manicotti strategy

I cut them in half, stand the flat end on a cutting board, then use a tiny spoon with which I fill em like an ice cream cone. They are easier to handle when filling, easier to remove from the baking dish, and at a potluck, maybe ppl will take fewer and leave some for the next guy.

It also dawned on me that if a tube is split lengthwise, they are nice for building a small lasagne, as there are lots of grooves to hold the sauce, and a much easier than handling those loooooong noodles too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 2:09:18 PM UTC-5, l not -l wrote:
> On 2-Mar-2015, Kalmia > wrote:
>
> > I cut them in half, stand the flat end on a cutting board, then use a tiny
> > spoon with which I fill em like an ice cream cone. They are easier to
> > handle when filling, easier to remove from the baking dish, and at a
> > potluck, maybe ppl will take fewer and leave some for the next guy.

> I put the filling in a zip lock bag, snip off one corner. While holding the
> shell in one hand, I squeeze the filling from the bag into the shell.

These aren't shells- they're tubes. Shells are harder to stuff - hard to hold open, so I rarely use shells.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
I cut them in half, stand the flat end on a cutting board, then use a tiny
spoon with which I fill em like an ice cream cone. They are easier to
handle when filling, easier to remove from the baking dish, and at a
potluck, maybe ppl will take fewer and leave some for the next guy.

It also dawned on me that if a tube is split lengthwise, they are nice for
building a small lasagne, as there are lots of grooves to hold the sauce,
and a much easier than handling those loooooong noodles too.

====

You can get plastic pastry nozel tips which you fit into a plastic bag like
a ziplock. All kinds of sizes.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Mar 2015 11:15:03 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 2:09:18 PM UTC-5, l not -l wrote:
>> On 2-Mar-2015, Kalmia > wrote:
>>
>> > I cut them in half, stand the flat end on a cutting board, then use a tiny
>> > spoon with which I fill em like an ice cream cone. They are easier to
>> > handle when filling, easier to remove from the baking dish, and at a
>> > potluck, maybe ppl will take fewer and leave some for the next guy.

>> I put the filling in a zip lock bag, snip off one corner. While holding the
>> shell in one hand, I squeeze the filling from the bag into the shell.

>These aren't shells- they're tubes. Shells are harder to stuff - hard to hold open, so I rarely use shells.

Easy to fill pasta tubes or shells with a pet feeding syringe... I
have a collection of different types from various Vets:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...eeding+syringe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 2:31:57 PM UTC-5, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
> I cut them in half, stand the flat end on a cutting board, then use a tiny
> spoon with which I fill em like an ice cream cone. They are easier to
> handle when filling, easier to remove from the baking dish, and at a
> potluck, maybe ppl will take fewer and leave some for the next guy.
>
> It also dawned on me that if a tube is split lengthwise, they are nice for
> building a small lasagne, as there are lots of grooves to hold the sauce,
> and a much easier than handling those loooooong noodles too.
>
> ====
>
> You can get plastic pastry nozel tips which you fit into a plastic bag like
> a ziplock. All kinds of sizes.

One more thing or things to mislay, and at my age, I'm downsizing. Small items like nozzles would surely get lost.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> I cut them in half, stand the flat end on a cutting board, then use a tiny spoon with which I fill em like an ice cream cone. They are easier to handle when filling, easier to remove from the baking dish, and at a potluck, maybe ppl will take fewer and leave some for the next guy.
>
> It also dawned on me that if a tube is split lengthwise, they are nice for building a small lasagne, as there are lots of grooves to hold the sauce, and a much easier than handling those loooooong noodles too.

What about rolling your own tubes around the filling, like a crepe or
enchilada? That's gotta be easier than stuffing boiled dried tubes.
I'm not sure what the best kind of pasta would be.

(didn't The Frug used to make them like this?)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Mar 2015 14:41:16 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 02 Mar 2015 15:01:54 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2 Mar 2015 11:15:03 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
>> > wrote:

>>>These aren't shells- they're tubes. Shells are harder to stuff - hard to hold open, so I rarely use shells.

>> Easy to fill pasta tubes or shells with a pet feeding syringe... I
>> have a collection of different types from various Vets:
>> http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...eeding+syringe

>What a waste of time. Mot even enough to fill one shell at a time
>(biggest one is 1/4cup). Maybe that would work for filling your
>little pee-pee sized ziti (ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!)
><rolling eyes>.
>
>Big ziplock (or pastry bag) works much better. Fill half the shell
>from one end, then fill the other end. No reloading necessary.

Fergot, the dwarf uses his douche bag.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-03-02 18:25:25 +0000, Kalmia said:

> I cut them in half, stand the flat end on a cutting board, then use a
> tiny spoon with which I fill em like an ice cream cone. They are
> easier to handle when filling, easier to remove from the baking dish,
> and at a potluck, maybe ppl will take fewer and leave some for the next
> guy.
> It also dawned on me that if a tube is split lengthwise, they are nice
> for building a small lasagne, as there are lots of grooves to hold the
> sauce, and a much easier than handling those loooooong noodles too.

Have you considered putting the filling into a large pastry bag with a
big pastry tip in place (or just the hole in the bag, depending on its
size) and filling from there with a squeeze?
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message

> On 2-Mar-2015, Kalmia > wrote:

>> > I put the filling in a zip lock bag, snip off one corner. While
>> > holding
>> > the
>> > shell in one hand, I squeeze the filling from the bag into the shell.

>> These aren't shells- they're tubes. Shells are harder to stuff - hard to
>> hold open, so I rarely use shells.

> Understood that they are not shell shaped; I used the term shell to mean
> container - such as a cream puff shell. The method of filling I
> mentioned
> is for filling tubular manicotti pasta "shells".

I should think a pastry bag would work too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Kalmia wrote:
>> I cut them in half, stand the flat end on a cutting board, then use a
>> tiny spoon with which I fill em like an ice cream cone. They are easier
>> to handle when filling, easier to remove from the baking dish, and at a
>> potluck, maybe ppl will take fewer and leave some for the next guy. It
>> also dawned on me that if a tube is split lengthwise, they are nice for
>> building a small lasagne, as there are lots of grooves to hold the sauce,
>> and a much easier than handling those loooooong noodles too.
>>

> What about rolling your own tubes around the filling, like a crepe or
> enchilada? That's gotta be easier than stuffing boiled dried tubes. I'm
> not sure what the best kind of pasta would be.
>
> (didn't The Frug used to make them like this?)
>
> Bob

I did see some chef do that but now I can't remember what he used.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Mar 2015 14:41:16 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 02 Mar 2015 15:01:54 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> >
> >> On Mon, 2 Mar 2015 11:15:03 -0800 (PST), Kalmia

> >> Easy to fill pasta tubes or shells with a pet feeding syringe... I
> >> have a collection of different types from various Vets:
> >> http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...eeding+syringe

> >What a waste of time. Mot even enough to fill one shell at a time
> >(biggest one is 1/4cup). Maybe that would work for filling your
> >little pee-pee sized ziti (ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!)
> ><rolling eyes>.
> >
> >Big ziplock (or pastry bag) works much better. Fill half the shell
> >from one end, then fill the other end. No reloading necessary.

> Fergot, the dwarf uses his douche bag

Yup...the douche bag that went off - ration in _1946_

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Mar 2015 20:24:05 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

>Sheldon wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2 Mar 2015 14:41:16 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...eeding+syringe

>> >What a waste of time. Mot even enough to fill one shell at a time
>> >(biggest one is 1/4cup). Maybe that would work for filling your
>> >little pee-pee sized ziti (ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!)
>> ><rolling eyes>.
>> >
>> >Big ziplock (or pastry bag) works much better. Fill half the shell
>> >from one end, then fill the other end. No reloading necessary.

>> Fergot, the dwarf uses his douche bag

>Yup...the douche bag that went off - ration in _1946_ \\

Animal feeding syringes are available in many sizes, live stock
farmers use large ones all the time... check at your local Agway.
Assorted capacites for the dwarf:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...k%3Adouche+bag

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 1:02:04 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 12:23:26 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2 Mar 2015 20:24:05 -0800 (PST),
> > wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...eeding+syringe

> >>Yup...the douche bag that went off - ration in _1946_ \\

> > Animal feeding syringes are available in many sizes, live stock
> > farmers use large ones all the time... check at your local Agway.
> > Assorted capacites for the dwarf:
> > http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...k%3Adouche+bag

> Give it up, Pussy Katz. It's a lame idea considering Zip Lock bags
> cost less than a nickel and are infinitely easier to fill.
>
> -sw

My little spoon costs even less and washing it I am sure costs less than a ziplock bag.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 Mar 2015 12:08:48 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 1:02:04 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 12:23:26 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...eeding+syringe

>> > Animal feeding syringes are available in many sizes, live stock
>> > farmers use large ones all the time... check at your local Agway.
>> > Assorted capacites for the dwarf:
>> > http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...k%3Adouche+bag

>> Give it up, Pussy Katz. It's a lame idea considering Zip Lock bags
>> cost less than a nickel and are infinitely easier to fill.
>>
>> -sw

>My little spoon costs even less and washing it I am sure costs less than a ziplock bag.

A cookie press works too.