Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Natural Directions white rice

Has anyone tried this organic brand? I have no clue where I bought this bag
and thankfully it was a small one.

I took it out of the cupboard and immediately noticed two dark brown things
inside that were about the same size and shape as the rice but not quite.
At first I assumed that it was some stray grain of another kind or
something. But now. I picked them out, put them on a white paper plate to
view them better, then saw two more.

I immediately ran to the computer and looked up images of mice turds. Which
these may well be. I really can't say for sure. But I also noticed that
the grains of rice didn't look very good. Some were more white than others
and some appeared to be broken. So, into the Biobag it went because I
didn't want to take any chances.

The bag was totally sealed. No holes or anything. I must have been in a
hurry when I picked it up. But I don't think I will be trying this brand
again. Blech.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Mar 2015 03:50:09 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Has anyone tried this organic brand? I have no clue where I bought this bag
>and thankfully it was a small one.
>
>I took it out of the cupboard and immediately noticed two dark brown things
>inside that were about the same size and shape as the rice but not quite.
>At first I assumed that it was some stray grain of another kind or
>something. But now. I picked them out, put them on a white paper plate to
>view them better, then saw two more.
>
>I immediately ran to the computer and looked up images of mice turds. Which
>these may well be. I really can't say for sure. But I also noticed that
>the grains of rice didn't look very good. Some were more white than others
>and some appeared to be broken. So, into the Biobag it went because I
>didn't want to take any chances.
>
>The bag was totally sealed. No holes or anything. I must have been in a
>hurry when I picked it up. But I don't think I will be trying this brand
>again. Blech.

Probably MalWart crap, made in China where they don't have an FDA.

Read "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair. China's going through what the
U.S. went through in the early 1900's as farf as industrialization
goes. The Chinese can't learn from history either.

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Has anyone tried this organic brand? I have no clue where I bought
> this bag and thankfully it was a small one.
>
> I took it out of the cupboard and immediately noticed two dark brown
> things inside that were about the same size and shape as the rice but
> not quite. At first I assumed that it was some stray grain of another
> kind or something. But now. I picked them out, put them on a white
> paper plate to view them better, then saw two more.
>
> I immediately ran to the computer and looked up images of mice turds.
> Which these may well be. I really can't say for sure. But I also
> noticed that the grains of rice didn't look very good. Some were
> more white than others and some appeared to be broken. So, into the
> Biobag it went because I didn't want to take any chances.
>
> The bag was totally sealed. No holes or anything. I must have been
> in a hurry when I picked it up. But I don't think I will be trying
> this brand again. Blech.

Hi Julie,

I can't speak to this particular brand but rice, flours and pastas can
very easily be infested. It's more of a problem in some areas than
others.

It was particularily a problem in Japan so they have these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=japa...w=1600&bih=732
&tbm=isch&imgil=BtVSOy_iiNjy1M%253A%253B6A6KUn-HIp8-RM%253Bhttps%25253A%
25252F%25252Fwww.pinterest.com%25252FYourTinyHouse %25252Ftiny-house-stor
age%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=BtVSOy_iiNjy1M%253A% 252C6A6KUn-HIp8-RM%252
C_&usg=__OSTSr9UXLNDblVYscMKXk0w_0oI%3D&ved=0CCkQy jc&ei=7jPzVPKQM5DLoAS3
p4HoCw#imgdii=_&imgrc=BtVSOy_iiNjy1M%253A%3B6A6KUn-HIp8-RM%3Bhttps%253A%
252F%252Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%252F236x%252Fa8%252Fe7%252F18%252F
a8e718019c5ec42004d31df9387b8fe4.jpg%3Bhttps%253A% 252F%252Fwww.pinterest
..com%252FYourTinyHouse%252Ftiny-house-storage%252F%3B236%3B170

Smaller version of link :-)

http://tinyurl.com/ltnl6sm

These are actually pretty much airtight. Then if there are bugs, they
get trapped in there.

A better way to deal with such is if you have a spare freezer, freeze
all such goods for at least 2 days as soon as you bring them home.

What I have personally found is organic grains are more apt to have
'issues' because the standard preventives for that can't be used.

BTW, the spots were more likely to be rice hull bits not properly
separated out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/1/2015 10:53 AM, cshenk wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Has anyone tried this organic brand? I have no clue where I bought
>> this bag and thankfully it was a small one.
>>
>> I took it out of the cupboard and immediately noticed two dark brown
>> things inside that were about the same size and shape as the rice but
>> not quite. At first I assumed that it was some stray grain of another
>> kind or something. But now. I picked them out, put them on a white
>> paper plate to view them better, then saw two more.
>>
>> I immediately ran to the computer and looked up images of mice turds.
>> Which these may well be. I really can't say for sure. But I also
>> noticed that the grains of rice didn't look very good. Some were
>> more white than others and some appeared to be broken. So, into the
>> Biobag it went because I didn't want to take any chances.
>>
>> The bag was totally sealed. No holes or anything. I must have been
>> in a hurry when I picked it up. But I don't think I will be trying
>> this brand again. Blech.

> Hi Julie,
>
> I can't speak to this particular brand but rice, flours and pastas can
> very easily be infested. It's more of a problem in some areas than
> others.

(snippage)

Yeah, Carol, and you keep feeding into her food and health phobias.
Anyone who buys any rice or any grain or beans understands there may be
some some foreign substance in it *before* it was packaged. The word
"organic" doesn't mean much. We understand and we are not necessarily
freaked out about it because we know about such things.

Julie is just starting another useless "I can't/won't eat/don't like,
it's going bad, about to expire, no one will eat it" thread. She's the
Queen of that.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe > wrote:

>On Sun, 1 Mar 2015 03:50:09 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>
>>Has anyone tried this organic brand? I have no clue where I bought this bag
>>and thankfully it was a small one.
>>
>>I took it out of the cupboard and immediately noticed two dark brown things
>>inside that were about the same size and shape as the rice but not quite.
>>At first I assumed that it was some stray grain of another kind or
>>something. But now. I picked them out, put them on a white paper plate to
>>view them better, then saw two more.
>>
>>I immediately ran to the computer and looked up images of mice turds. Which
>>these may well be. I really can't say for sure. But I also noticed that
>>the grains of rice didn't look very good. Some were more white than others
>>and some appeared to be broken. So, into the Biobag it went because I
>>didn't want to take any chances.
>>
>>The bag was totally sealed. No holes or anything. I must have been in a
>>hurry when I picked it up. But I don't think I will be trying this brand
>>again. Blech.

>Probably MalWart crap, made in China where they don't have an FDA.

I can assure you that Walmart sells the same brands as every other US
market, only they charge less. And we all know Bwrrryan food shops at
the local faggot food pantry... you eat all the shit everyone was
ready to toss in the trash. Before anyone comments Bwrrryan and
Kuchie are one and the same.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 9:22:46 AM UTC-7, jmcquown wrote:
> (snippage)
>
> Yeah, Carol, and you keep feeding into her food and health phobias.
> Anyone who buys any rice or any grain or beans understands there may be
> some some foreign substance in it *before* it was packaged. The word
> "organic" doesn't mean much. We understand and we are not necessarily
> freaked out about it because we know about such things.
>
> Julie is just starting another useless "I can't/won't eat/don't like,
> it's going bad, about to expire, no one will eat it" thread. She's the
> Queen of that.

You are absolutely right Jill. I have picked larvae out of beans, rice, breakfast cereal, flour, and whatever. Not unusual at all in dry packaged goods no matter the origin. Certainly no panic and other than the ICK factor...totally harmless and once the product is cooked should present NO problem whatsoever.

One never wants to examine some of these products too carefully. Julie should remove her glasses before cooking...Ahahahahahahah.

She is definitely a "Drama Queen" when it comes to the unusual.
=============

> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 1:50:18 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> Has anyone tried this organic brand? I have no clue where I bought this bag
> and thankfully it was a small one.
>
> I took it out of the cupboard and immediately noticed two dark brown things
> inside that were about the same size and shape as the rice but not quite.
> At first I assumed that it was some stray grain of another kind or
> something. But now. I picked them out, put them on a white paper plate to
> view them better, then saw two more.
>
> I immediately ran to the computer and looked up images of mice turds. Which
> these may well be. I really can't say for sure. But I also noticed that
> the grains of rice didn't look very good. Some were more white than others
> and some appeared to be broken. So, into the Biobag it went because I
> didn't want to take any chances.
>
> The bag was totally sealed. No holes or anything. I must have been in a
> hurry when I picked it up. But I don't think I will be trying this brand
> again. Blech.

What could be more natural than mice turds? :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Mar 2015 10:18:03 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 1:50:18 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Has anyone tried this organic brand? I have no clue where I bought this bag
>> and thankfully it was a small one.
>>
>> I took it out of the cupboard and immediately noticed two dark brown things
>> inside that were about the same size and shape as the rice but not quite.
>> At first I assumed that it was some stray grain of another kind or
>> something. But now. I picked them out, put them on a white paper plate to
>> view them better, then saw two more.
>>
>> I immediately ran to the computer and looked up images of mice turds. Which
>> these may well be. I really can't say for sure. But I also noticed that
>> the grains of rice didn't look very good. Some were more white than others
>> and some appeared to be broken. So, into the Biobag it went because I
>> didn't want to take any chances.
>>
>> The bag was totally sealed. No holes or anything. I must have been in a
>> hurry when I picked it up. But I don't think I will be trying this brand
>> again. Blech.

>What could be more natural than mice turds? :-)

Mus Turds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Has anyone tried this organic brand? I have no clue where I bought this
> bag and thankfully it was a small one.
>
> I took it out of the cupboard and immediately noticed two dark brown
> things inside that were about the same size and shape as the rice but not
> quite. At first I assumed that it was some stray grain of another kind or
> something. But now. I picked them out, put them on a white paper plate
> to view them better, then saw two more.
>
> I immediately ran to the computer and looked up images of mice turds.
> Which these may well be. I really can't say for sure. But I also noticed
> that the grains of rice didn't look very good. Some were more white than
> others and some appeared to be broken. So, into the Biobag it went
> because I didn't want to take any chances.
>
> The bag was totally sealed. No holes or anything. I must have been in a
> hurry when I picked it up. But I don't think I will be trying this brand
> again. Blech.

Could also be weavil larvae that dried out.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 12:06:28 PM UTC-7, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> > Has anyone tried this organic brand? I have no clue where I bought this
> > bag and thankfully it was a small one.
> >
> > I took it out of the cupboard and immediately noticed two dark brown
> > things inside that were about the same size and shape as the rice but not
> > quite. At first I assumed that it was some stray grain of another kind or
> > something. But now. I picked them out, put them on a white paper plate
> > to view them better, then saw two more.
> >
> > I immediately ran to the computer and looked up images of mice turds.
> > Which these may well be. I really can't say for sure. But I also noticed
> > that the grains of rice didn't look very good. Some were more white than
> > others and some appeared to be broken. So, into the Biobag it went
> > because I didn't want to take any chances.
> >
> > The bag was totally sealed. No holes or anything. I must have been in a
> > hurry when I picked it up. But I don't think I will be trying this brand
> > again. Blech.

> Could also be weavil larvae that dried out.

Concentrated protein...yummmm...no extra charge.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Mar 2015 03:50:09 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Has anyone tried this organic brand? I have no clue where I bought this bag
>and thankfully it was a small one.
>
>I took it out of the cupboard and immediately noticed two dark brown things
>inside that were about the same size and shape as the rice but not quite.
>At first I assumed that it was some stray grain of another kind or
>something. But now. I picked them out, put them on a white paper plate to
>view them better, then saw two more.
>
>I immediately ran to the computer and looked up images of mice turds. Which
>these may well be. I really can't say for sure. But I also noticed that
>the grains of rice didn't look very good. Some were more white than others
>and some appeared to be broken. So, into the Biobag it went because I
>didn't want to take any chances.
>
>The bag was totally sealed. No holes or anything. I must have been in a
>hurry when I picked it up. But I don't think I will be trying this brand
>again. Blech.

Yeah... right. You need to widen the scope of your material, this one
has been done to death.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Mar 2015 11:22:38 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 3/1/2015 10:53 AM, cshenk wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> Has anyone tried this organic brand? I have no clue where I bought
>>> this bag and thankfully it was a small one.
>>>
>>> I took it out of the cupboard and immediately noticed two dark brown
>>> things inside that were about the same size and shape as the rice but
>>> not quite. At first I assumed that it was some stray grain of another
>>> kind or something. But now. I picked them out, put them on a white
>>> paper plate to view them better, then saw two more.
>>>
>>> I immediately ran to the computer and looked up images of mice turds.
>>> Which these may well be. I really can't say for sure. But I also
>>> noticed that the grains of rice didn't look very good. Some were
>>> more white than others and some appeared to be broken. So, into the
>>> Biobag it went because I didn't want to take any chances.
>>>
>>> The bag was totally sealed. No holes or anything. I must have been
>>> in a hurry when I picked it up. But I don't think I will be trying
>>> this brand again. Blech.

>> Hi Julie,
>>
>> I can't speak to this particular brand but rice, flours and pastas can
>> very easily be infested. It's more of a problem in some areas than
>> others.

>(snippage)
>
>Yeah, Carol, and you keep feeding into her food and health phobias.
>Anyone who buys any rice or any grain or beans understands there may be
>some some foreign substance in it *before* it was packaged. The word
>"organic" doesn't mean much. We understand and we are not necessarily
>freaked out about it because we know about such things.
>
>Julie is just starting another useless "I can't/won't eat/don't like,
>it's going bad, about to expire, no one will eat it" thread. She's the
>Queen of that.

Yeah. She's used this line more times than I recall now, but she still
gets people here who believe her.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Mar 2015 14:49:49 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> I took it out of the cupboard and immediately noticed two dark brown
>>> things inside that were about the same size and shape as the rice but
>>> not quite. At first I assumed that it was some stray grain of another
>>> kind or something. But now. I picked them out, put them on a white
>>> paper plate to view them better, then saw two more.

><sigh> There's never a shortage of trolling material in the Bove
>house!

Plenty of material, but generally along the same lines...

>What you saw were a few unmilled grains of rice.

Most likely.

>But you already knew that.

Exactly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> I took it out of the cupboard and immediately noticed two dark brown
>>> things inside that were about the same size and shape as the rice but
>>> not quite. At first I assumed that it was some stray grain of another
>>> kind or something. But now. I picked them out, put them on a white
>>> paper plate to view them better, then saw two more.

> <sigh> There's never a shortage of trolling material in the Bove
> house! What you saw were a few unmilled grains of rice.
>
> But you already knew that.
>
> -sw

That she had to google what mouse turds look like puts this troll post over
the top. She's already told us several times prior about all her rat and
mice infestation issues she's had in her garage. Not believable she
doesn't know what mouse poop looks like after all that.
--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-03-01 11:50:09 +0000, Julie Bove said:

> Has anyone tried this organic brand? I have no clue where I bought
> this bag and thankfully it was a small one.

How long ago did you buy it?

> I took it out of the cupboard and immediately noticed two dark brown
> things inside that were about the same size and shape as the rice but
> not quite. At first I assumed that it was some stray grain of another
> kind or something. But now. I picked them out, put them on a white
> paper plate to view them better, then saw two more.

I find it hard to believe a bad that has no clear hole, that doesn't
begin leaking when picked up, has had a mouse inside it eating inside
it and pooping inside it. With a hold or leak in the bag and mouse
turds in the general vicinity within the pantry, it makes more sense.
Just using good ol' fashioned logic here.

> I immediately ran to the computer and looked up images of mice turds.
> Which these may well be. I really can't say for sure. But I also
> noticed that the grains of rice didn't look very good. Some were more
> white than others and some appeared to be broken. So, into the Biobag
> it went because I didn't want to take any chances.

The closer you get to all things with a magnifying glass the more
individual elements they begin to manifest. Especially with a
"natural" product I'd assume more variations that others.

> The bag was totally sealed. No holes or anything. I must have been in
> a hurry when I picked it up. But I don't think I will be trying this
> brand again. Blech.

You might consider sending your observations he

http://naturaldirections.com/contact/
--
Food good! Fire BAD!! - Frankenstein's Monster

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 1 Mar 2015 03:50:09 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>Has anyone tried this organic brand? I have no clue where I bought this
>>bag
>>and thankfully it was a small one.
>>
>>I took it out of the cupboard and immediately noticed two dark brown
>>things
>>inside that were about the same size and shape as the rice but not quite.
>>At first I assumed that it was some stray grain of another kind or
>>something. But now. I picked them out, put them on a white paper plate
>>view them better, then saw two more.
>>
>>I immediately ran to the computer and looked up images of mice turds.
>>Which
>>these may well be. I really can't say for sure. But I also noticed that
>>the grains of rice didn't look very good. Some were more white than
>>others
>>and some appeared to be broken. So, into the Biobag it went because I
>>didn't want to take any chances.
>>
>>The bag was totally sealed. No holes or anything. I must have been in a
>>hurry when I picked it up. But I don't think I will be trying this brand
>>again. Blech.

> Probably MalWart crap, made in China where they don't have an FDA.
>
> Read "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair. China's going through what the
> U.S. went through in the early 1900's as farf as industrialization
> goes. The Chinese can't learn from history either.
>
> John Kuthe...

I may well have bought it there since I have been shopping there a lot. I
honestly can't remember where I got it. I know that I got it fairly
recently but I have also been to pretty much every store in the area and
didn't do a big grocery shop at any of them. I just picked up a few items
at each one. I need to get some more rice but I will stick to a known
brand.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Has anyone tried this organic brand? I have no clue where I bought
>> this bag and thankfully it was a small one.
>>
>> I took it out of the cupboard and immediately noticed two dark brown
>> things inside that were about the same size and shape as the rice but
>> not quite. At first I assumed that it was some stray grain of another
>> kind or something. But now. I picked them out, put them on a white
>> paper plate to view them better, then saw two more.
>>
>> I immediately ran to the computer and looked up images of mice turds.
>> Which these may well be. I really can't say for sure. But I also
>> noticed that the grains of rice didn't look very good. Some were
>> more white than others and some appeared to be broken. So, into the
>> Biobag it went because I didn't want to take any chances.
>>
>> The bag was totally sealed. No holes or anything. I must have been
>> in a hurry when I picked it up. But I don't think I will be trying
>> this brand again. Blech.

> Hi Julie,
>
> I can't speak to this particular brand but rice, flours and pastas can
> very easily be infested. It's more of a problem in some areas than
> others.
>
> It was particularily a problem in Japan so they have these:
>
> https://www.google.com/search?q=japa...w=1600&bih=732
> &tbm=isch&imgil=BtVSOy_iiNjy1M%253A%253B6A6KUn-HIp8-RM%253Bhttps%25253A%
> 25252F%25252Fwww.pinterest.com%25252FYourTinyHouse %25252Ftiny-house-stor
> age%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=BtVSOy_iiNjy1M%253A% 252C6A6KUn-HIp8-RM%252
> C_&usg=__OSTSr9UXLNDblVYscMKXk0w_0oI%3D&ved=0CCkQy jc&ei=7jPzVPKQM5DLoAS3
> p4HoCw#imgdii=_&imgrc=BtVSOy_iiNjy1M%253A%3B6A6KUn-HIp8-RM%3Bhttps%253A%
> 252F%252Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%252F236x%252Fa8%252Fe7%252F18%252F
> a8e718019c5ec42004d31df9387b8fe4.jpg%3Bhttps%253A% 252F%252Fwww.pinterest
> .com%252FYourTinyHouse%252Ftiny-house-storage%252F%3B236%3B170
>
> Smaller version of link :-)
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ltnl6sm
>
> These are actually pretty much airtight. Then if there are bugs, they
> get trapped in there.
>
> A better way to deal with such is if you have a spare freezer, freeze
> all such goods for at least 2 days as soon as you bring them home.
>
> What I have personally found is organic grains are more apt to have
> 'issues' because the standard preventives for that can't be used.
>
> BTW, the spots were more likely to be rice hull bits not properly
> separated out.

What I found really did look like tiny turds or rocks. I did not find a
problem linked to this brand but to others. This rice came in a bag. It
was totally sealed so I bought it with whatever it was in there. Normally I
buy rice in a plastic jug but that kind is more expensive. When someone is
sick and needs to eat a lot of rice, I usually just buy some cheap kind.
Obviously this was a mistake!

I don't know what you mean by "spots". I didn't see any spots. It was more
like the grains were getting broken down but then if there were mice in
there eating the stuff that would explain it.

From now on though I will for sure take a better look at any rice that I buy
and I will avoid those in paper or cloth bags that I can not see into.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 3/1/2015 10:53 AM, cshenk wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> Has anyone tried this organic brand? I have no clue where I bought
>>> this bag and thankfully it was a small one.
>>>
>>> I took it out of the cupboard and immediately noticed two dark brown
>>> things inside that were about the same size and shape as the rice but
>>> not quite. At first I assumed that it was some stray grain of another
>>> kind or something. But now. I picked them out, put them on a white
>>> paper plate to view them better, then saw two more.
>>>
>>> I immediately ran to the computer and looked up images of mice turds.
>>> Which these may well be. I really can't say for sure. But I also
>>> noticed that the grains of rice didn't look very good. Some were
>>> more white than others and some appeared to be broken. So, into the
>>> Biobag it went because I didn't want to take any chances.
>>>
>>> The bag was totally sealed. No holes or anything. I must have been
>>> in a hurry when I picked it up. But I don't think I will be trying
>>> this brand again. Blech.

>> Hi Julie,
>>
>> I can't speak to this particular brand but rice, flours and pastas can
>> very easily be infested. It's more of a problem in some areas than
>> others.

> (snippage)
>
> Yeah, Carol, and you keep feeding into her food and health phobias. Anyone
> who buys any rice or any grain or beans understands there may be some some
> foreign substance in it *before* it was packaged. The word "organic"
> doesn't mean much. We understand and we are not necessarily freaked out
> about it because we know about such things.
>
> Julie is just starting another useless "I can't/won't eat/don't like, it's
> going bad, about to expire, no one will eat it" thread. She's the Queen
> of that.

I didn't buy it because it said organic. I prefer to buy the Texmati rice
in a jug but only a few stores sell that. Obviously they didn't have that
at whatever store I was at when I bought this. I do remember being in some
store and telling Angela to pick up a bag of cheap white rice. I can't
remember any more particulars than that. I had another bag of white rice
that I just used up last night. It was a Mexican long grain.

I do know that there is a chance of foreign things being in things like rice
and dried beans. I had just never seen anything this obvious before and I
am surprised that I didn't notice it at the store but I was likely in a
hurry on the day that I bought it. And I can't remember where I bought it.
If I could remember I would take it back.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 9:22:46 AM UTC-7, jmcquown wrote:
> (snippage)
>
> Yeah, Carol, and you keep feeding into her food and health phobias.
> Anyone who buys any rice or any grain or beans understands there may be
> some some foreign substance in it *before* it was packaged. The word
> "organic" doesn't mean much. We understand and we are not necessarily
> freaked out about it because we know about such things.
>
> Julie is just starting another useless "I can't/won't eat/don't like,
> it's going bad, about to expire, no one will eat it" thread. She's the
> Queen of that.

You are absolutely right Jill. I have picked larvae out of beans, rice,
breakfast cereal, flour, and whatever. Not unusual at all in dry packaged
goods no matter the origin. Certainly no panic and other than the ICK
factor...totally harmless and once the product is cooked should present NO
problem whatsoever.

One never wants to examine some of these products too carefully. Julie
should remove her glasses before cooking...Ahahahahahahah.

She is definitely a "Drama Queen" when it comes to the unusual.
=============

Seeing as how I am near sighted, removing my glasses will only allow me to
see more when cooking. I don't really think getting upset over what appears
to be turds in my rice is being a drama queen. Over the course of my
lifetime, I can only ever recall seeing unwanted things in my food a few
times. The bugs in the paprika that my landlord brought over from his beach
cabin. The half of a cockroach in my piece of pie in a restaurant. Maggots
and moths in various pet food at work. Maggots in chocolate bars with nuts
in them, also at work. Larvae on the baking aisle of a Fred Meyer's store
back in the 1980's. A Jiffy Mix purchased online that came to me with
little dead black bugs in it. Ditto for a gluten free cornbread mix
purchased online. The weevil infestation in my baking cupboard a few years
ago. My parents told me of getting some sort of pantry moths. I didn't see
them. They also got carpenter ants and I have had ants both here and in NY
but they were very obvious and I took care of them before they got into our
food. Have had rats both here and in NY and mice in NY. Only ever had
anything like that get into the house in NY. Also had squirrels in our
building in NY but they didn't get into my apartment.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> I took it out of the cupboard and immediately noticed two dark brown
>>> things inside that were about the same size and shape as the rice but
>>> not quite. At first I assumed that it was some stray grain of another
>>> kind or something. But now. I picked them out, put them on a white
>>> paper plate to view them better, then saw two more.

> <sigh> There's never a shortage of trolling material in the Bove
> house! What you saw were a few unmilled grains of rice.
>
> But you already knew that.

I don't think so. They were very dark brown. Not like brown rice at all.
Not quite even the same shape as the rest of the rice. And I compared this
rice to some cheap, Mexican white rice. Both were long grain rice. The
kernels looked different. The Mexican stuff was all intact and these were
crushed looking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jinx the minx" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz > wrote:

>> <sigh> There's never a shortage of trolling material in the Bove
>> house! What you saw were a few unmilled grains of rice.
>>
>> But you already knew that.
>>
>> -sw

> That she had to google what mouse turds look like puts this troll post
> over
> the top. She's already told us several times prior about all her rat and
> mice infestation issues she's had in her garage. Not believable she
> doesn't know what mouse poop looks like after all that.
> --
> jinx the minx

I never had mice in my garage. I had mice in NY. I didn't see the turds.
The exterminator said he did find turds behind the stove. I saw no turds
with the rat. I did see some bagged cereal where the bag had been chewed
into. And something else loose on that shelf that the rat had obviously
eaten. I can't remember what.

I did take care of a pet rat for a couple of weeks when I was in high
school. I can't exactly remember what the turds looked like. But for sure
they were bigger than this. These were about the size of rice grains but
not the same shape. Close, but not quite.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 01 Mar 2015 09:53:46 -0600, cshenk wrote:
>
>> What I have personally found is organic grains are more apt to have
>> 'issues' because the standard preventives for that can't be used.

> I have never seen any preservatives in uncooked grains.

Me either but I haven't looked for them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Has anyone tried this organic brand? I have no clue where I bought this
>> bag and thankfully it was a small one.
>>
>> I took it out of the cupboard and immediately noticed two dark brown
>> things inside that were about the same size and shape as the rice but not
>> quite. At first I assumed that it was some stray grain of another kind or
>> something. But now. I picked them out, put them on a white paper plate
>> to view them better, then saw two more.
>>
>> I immediately ran to the computer and looked up images of mice turds.
>> Which these may well be. I really can't say for sure. But I also
>> noticed that the grains of rice didn't look very good. Some were more
>> white than others and some appeared to be broken. So, into the Biobag it
>> went because I didn't want to take any chances.
>>
>> The bag was totally sealed. No holes or anything. I must have been in a
>> hurry when I picked it up. But I don't think I will be trying this brand
>> again. Blech.

> Could also be weavil larvae that dried out.

Maybe. At any rate, I didn't want it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Glutton" > wrote in message
> On 2015-03-01 11:50:09 +0000, Julie Bove said:
>
>> Has anyone tried this organic brand? I have no clue where I bought this
>> bag and thankfully it was a small one.

> How long ago did you buy it?
>
>> I took it out of the cupboard and immediately noticed two dark brown
>> things inside that were about the same size and shape as the rice but not
>> quite. At first I assumed that it was some stray grain of another kind or
>> something. But now. I picked them out, put them on a white paper plate
>> to view them better, then saw two more.

> I find it hard to believe a bad that has no clear hole, that doesn't begin
> leaking when picked up, has had a mouse inside it eating inside it and
> pooping inside it. With a hold or leak in the bag and mouse turds in the
> general vicinity within the pantry, it makes more sense. Just using good
> ol' fashioned logic here.

The mouse didn't need to get into the bag to contaminate. The problem could
have occurred prior to the rice being bagged. Turds in rice is a known
problem. Perhaps not know to this brand but others.

>> I immediately ran to the computer and looked up images of mice turds.
>> Which these may well be. I really can't say for sure. But I also
>> noticed that the grains of rice didn't look very good. Some were more
>> white than others and some appeared to be broken. So, into the Biobag it
>> went because I didn't want to take any chances.

> The closer you get to all things with a magnifying glass the more
> individual elements they begin to manifest. Especially with a "natural"
> product I'd assume more variations that others.

Yeah. I didn't do that.

>> The bag was totally sealed. No holes or anything. I must have been in a
>> hurry when I picked it up. But I don't think I will be trying this brand
>> again. Blech.

> You might consider sending your observations he
>
> http://naturaldirections.com/contact/

Thanks! I will send them a message.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-03-02 00:18:13 +0000, Julie Bove said:

>> <sigh> There's never a shortage of trolling material in the Bove
>> house! What you saw were a few unmilled grains of rice.
>>
>> But you already knew that.

> I don't think so. They were very dark brown. Not like brown rice at
> all. Not quite even the same shape as the rest of the rice. And I
> compared this rice to some cheap, Mexican white rice. Both were long
> grain rice. The kernels looked different. The Mexican stuff was all
> intact and these were crushed looking.

Did you attempt to crush them between finger or thumb or with a spoon?
That would have given you significant analytic information.
--
Food good! Fire BAD!! - Frankenstein's Monster

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-03-02 00:22:11 +0000, Julie Bove said:

> I did take care of a pet rat for a couple of weeks when I was in high
> school. I can't exactly remember what the turds looked like.

They do look like rice kernals but smaller and quite dark. They have a
nutty and "grassy" taste that goes well with a light red wine.

> But for sure they were bigger than this. These were about the size of
> rice grains but not the same shape. Close, but not quite.

There are significant difference between the turds of mice and rats.
Try them both to expand your culinary horizons.
--
Food good! Fire BAD!! - Frankenstein's Monster

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 2:49:50 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
> > Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> >> I took it out of the cupboard and immediately noticed two dark brown
> >> things inside that were about the same size and shape as the rice but
> >> not quite. At first I assumed that it was some stray grain of another
> >> kind or something. But now. I picked them out, put them on a white
> >> paper plate to view them better, then saw two more.

> <sigh> There's never a shortage of trolling material in the Bove
> house! What you saw were a few unmilled grains of rice.
>
> But you already knew that.

Hey, Steve, if *anyone* here should know about turds, it's Julie.
Her whole family are turds in the gene pool.

> -sw

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-03-02 00:23:13 +0000, Julie Bove said:

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> Has anyone tried this organic brand? I have no clue where I bought
>>> this bag and thankfully it was a small one.
>>>
>>> I took it out of the cupboard and immediately noticed two dark brown
>>> things inside that were about the same size and shape as the rice but
>>> not quite. At first I assumed that it was some stray grain of another
>>> kind or something. But now. I picked them out, put them on a white
>>> paper plate to view them better, then saw two more.
>>>
>>> I immediately ran to the computer and looked up images of mice turds.
>>> Which these may well be. I really can't say for sure. But I also
>>> noticed that the grains of rice didn't look very good. Some were more
>>> white than others and some appeared to be broken. So, into the Biobag
>>> it went because I didn't want to take any chances.
>>>
>>> The bag was totally sealed. No holes or anything. I must have been in
>>> a hurry when I picked it up. But I don't think I will be trying this
>>> brand again. Blech.

>> Could also be weavil larvae that dried out.

> Maybe. At any rate, I didn't want it.

Try steeping the weavil larvae in green tea for a few minutes. They
will absorb quite a bit of tea and enlarge by 75% or more. Then spread
them on a cookie sheet, sprinkly them with smoked salt and toast
them--but not too long! You don't want to scorch them. Then serve
them to your friends as an appetizer or afternoon snack. You can tell
them they are from France. They'll be impressed.
--
Food good! Fire BAD!! - Frankenstein's Monster

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 6:43:02 PM UTC-6, Glutton wrote:

> >> <sigh> There's never a shortage of trolling material in the Bove
> >> house! What you saw were a few unmilled grains of rice.
> >>
> >> But you already knew that.

> > I don't think so. They were very dark brown. Not like brown rice at
> > all. Not quite even the same shape as the rest of the rice. And I
> > compared this rice to some cheap, Mexican white rice. Both were long
> > grain rice. The kernels looked different. The Mexican stuff was all
> > intact and these were crushed looking.

> Did you attempt to crush them between finger or thumb or with a spoon?
> That would have given you significant analytic information.
> --
> Food good! Fire BAD!! - Frankenstein's Monster

Two guys walking down the sidewalk. Bob says to Pete, "Hey, that looks
like a dog turd."
Pete agrees, picks up the object, and smells it before remarking, "Smells
like a dog turd too," and offers it to Bob to take a whiff.
Instead, Bob takes his finger and scrapes off a bit and puts it in his
mouth, "Tastes like one too."
Then Pete says, "Yep, that's a dog turd alright. Sure am glad we didn't
step in it."

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-03-02 01:05:43 +0000, Bryan-TGWWW said:

> On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 6:43:02 PM UTC-6, Glutton wrote:

>>> I don't think so. They were very dark brown. Not like brown rice at
>>> all. Not quite even the same shape as the rest of the rice. And I
>>> compared this rice to some cheap, Mexican white rice. Both were long
>>> grain rice. The kernels looked different. The Mexican stuff was all
>>> intact and these were crushed looking.

>> Did you attempt to crush them between finger or thumb or with a spoon?
>> That would have given you significant analytic information.
>> --
>> Food good! Fire BAD!! - Frankenstein's Monster

> Two guys walking down the sidewalk. Bob says to Pete, "Hey, that looks
> like a dog turd."
> Pete agrees, picks up the object, and smells it before remarking, "Smells
> like a dog turd too," and offers it to Bob to take a whiff.
> Instead, Bob takes his finger and scrapes off a bit and puts it in his
> mouth, "Tastes like one too."
> Then Pete says, "Yep, that's a dog turd alright. Sure am glad we didn't
> step in it."

That was close!
--
Food good! Fire BAD!! - Frankenstein's Monster

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-03-02 00:45:39 +0000, Bryan-TGWWW said:

> Hey, Steve, if *anyone* here should know about turds, it's Julie.
> Her whole family are turds in the gene pool.

Oh my! Be kind to Julie. I think she needs kindness.
--
Food good! Fire BAD!! - Frankenstein's Monster

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 01 Mar 2015 09:53:46 -0600, cshenk wrote:
>
> > What I have personally found is organic grains are more apt to have
> > 'issues' because the standard preventives for that can't be used.

> I have never seen any preservatives in uncooked grains.
>
> -sw

Grin, use a microscope...

Naw seriously, the mild shift in pesticides in the grain is minor. It
may be happenstance but i've found a higher pantry moth likelyhook in
the organics. That doenst mean it's bad stuff, just more important to
freeze it right away is all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Mar 2015 12:07:55 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>John Kuthe > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 1 Mar 2015 03:50:09 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>>
>>>Has anyone tried this organic brand? I have no clue where I bought this bag
>>>and thankfully it was a small one.
>>>
>>>I took it out of the cupboard and immediately noticed two dark brown things
>>>inside that were about the same size and shape as the rice but not quite.
>>>At first I assumed that it was some stray grain of another kind or
>>>something. But now. I picked them out, put them on a white paper plate to
>>>view them better, then saw two more.
>>>
>>>I immediately ran to the computer and looked up images of mice turds. Which
>>>these may well be. I really can't say for sure. But I also noticed that
>>>the grains of rice didn't look very good. Some were more white than others
>>>and some appeared to be broken. So, into the Biobag it went because I
>>>didn't want to take any chances.
>>>
>>>The bag was totally sealed. No holes or anything. I must have been in a
>>>hurry when I picked it up. But I don't think I will be trying this brand
>>>again. Blech.

>>Probably MalWart crap, made in China where they don't have an FDA.

>I can assure you that Walmart sells the same brands as every other US
>market, only they charge less. And we all know Bwrrryan food shops at
>the local faggot food pantry... you eat all the shit everyone was
>ready to toss in the trash. Before anyone comments Bwrrryan and
>Kuchie are one and the same.

I can assure you that MALWART leverages it's massive disgusting power
over it's suppliers asthe world's largest most powerful retailer ever
known to do it's bidding at making every thing they make for LOWER
COST, either by moving those suppliers manufacturing plants OVERSEAS
when the workers work for pennies on the United Statian counterparts,
or by making cheaper products by using cheaper inferior ingredients,
or ANY way they can make it cheaper to sell to MALWART, so MALWART can
then sell it to RUBES like YOU "For less, always!"

You poor deluded homophobe, ShelDUM!

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl.../walmart/view/
John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Mar 2015 20:57:37 -0600, John Kuthe >
wrote:

>I can assure you that MALWART leverages it's massive disgusting power
>over it's suppliers asthe world's largest most powerful retailer ever
>known to do it's bidding at making every thing they make for LOWER
>COST, either by moving those suppliers manufacturing plants OVERSEAS
>when the workers work for pennies on the United Statian counterparts,
>or by making cheaper products by using cheaper inferior ingredients,
>or ANY way they can make it cheaper to sell to MALWART, so MALWART can
>then sell it to RUBES like YOU "For less, always!"

Quite right.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Glutton" > wrote in message

>>> <sigh> There's never a shortage of trolling material in the Bove
>>> house! What you saw were a few unmilled grains of rice.
>>>
>>> But you already knew that.

>> I don't think so. They were very dark brown. Not like brown rice at
>> all. Not quite even the same shape as the rest of the rice. And I
>> compared this rice to some cheap, Mexican white rice. Both were long
>> grain rice. The kernels looked different. The Mexican stuff was all
>> intact and these were crushed looking.

> Did you attempt to crush them between finger or thumb or with a spoon?
> That would have given you significant analytic information.

Nope. I really didn't care so much what they were. I just knew that I
didn't want them in my food. I had initially put the stuff in the bin. I
have since taken it out and saved it in case the company wants me to send it
back to them. I have contacted them. Weird thing is that according to
their website there is no store in this immediate area that sells the stuff.
There is a store in Edmonds but I haven't been there in years. The website
does list Central Market but not mine. Perhaps I got it at Big Lots? Don't
know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Glutton" > wrote in message
> On 2015-03-02 00:22:11 +0000, Julie Bove said:
>
>> I did take care of a pet rat for a couple of weeks when I was in high
>> school. I can't exactly remember what the turds looked like.

> They do look like rice kernals but smaller and quite dark. They have a
> nutty and "grassy" taste that goes well with a light red wine.
>
>> But for sure they were bigger than this. These were about the size of
>> rice grains but not the same shape. Close, but not quite.

> There are significant difference between the turds of mice and rats. Try
> them both to expand your culinary horizons.

No thanks. If these are in fact turds, they would not be from rats or any
animal of that size. These are about the size of rice grains.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 01 Mar 2015 12:07:55 -0500, Brooklyn1
> > wrote:
>
>>John Kuthe > wrote:

>>>Probably MalWart crap, made in China where they don't have an FDA.

>>I can assure you that Walmart sells the same brands as every other US
>>market, only they charge less. And we all know Bwrrryan food shops at
>>the local faggot food pantry... you eat all the shit everyone was
>>ready to toss in the trash. Before anyone comments Bwrrryan and
>>Kuchie are one and the same.

> I can assure you that MALWART leverages it's massive disgusting power
> over it's suppliers asthe world's largest most powerful retailer ever
> known to do it's bidding at making every thing they make for LOWER
> COST, either by moving those suppliers manufacturing plants OVERSEAS
> when the workers work for pennies on the United Statian counterparts,
> or by making cheaper products by using cheaper inferior ingredients,
> or ANY way they can make it cheaper to sell to MALWART, so MALWART can
> then sell it to RUBES like YOU "For less, always!"
>
> You poor deluded homophobe, ShelDUM!
>
> http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl.../walmart/view/
> John Kuthe...

I have contacted the company. They do not sell their brand at Walmart and
none of the stores I shop at are listed. Maybe I got this at Big Lots?
Possibly Central Market. The Shoreline store is listed, but my store isn't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, cshenk1
@cox.net says...

> Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > On Sun, 01 Mar 2015 09:53:46 -0600, cshenk wrote:
> >
> > > What I have personally found is organic grains are more apt to have
> > > 'issues' because the standard preventives for that can't be used.

> > I have never seen any preservatives in uncooked grains.
> >
> > -sw

> Grin, use a microscope...
>
> Naw seriously, the mild shift in pesticides in the grain is minor. It
> may be happenstance but i've found a higher pantry moth likelyhook in
> the organics.

Watch out for those panty moths, they might be nanopreventives in
disguise.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 6:50:18 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> Has anyone tried this organic brand? I have no clue where I bought this bag
> and thankfully it was a small one.
>
> I took it out of the cupboard and immediately noticed two dark brown things
> inside that were about the same size and shape as the rice but not quite.
> At first I assumed that it was some stray grain of another kind or
> something. But now. I picked them out, put them on a white paper plate to
> view them better, then saw two more.

One more pipedream vortex. Can't you change the script a tiny bit?

What to do with leftover white rice Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 19 06-10-2010 04:20 PM
Natural Gas - Pictures and Diagrams of Natural Gas, Natural Gas Furnace, Natural Gas Grill, Natural Gas Heater, Natural Gas Water Heater and Natural Gas Vehicle [email protected] General Cooking 1 18-06-2007 05:32 AM
Natural Gas - Pictures and Diagrams of Natural Gas, Natural Gas Furnace, Natural Gas Grill, Natural Gas Heater, Natural Gas Water Heater and Natural Gas Vehicle [email protected] Cooking Equipment 1 18-06-2007 05:32 AM
white rice cakes lyle Asian Cooking 9 09-02-2007 09:36 PM
natural predators & a natural life is cruel? "Yes" - according to usual suspect ipse dixit Vegan 121 29-05-2004 01:37 PM