Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Great British Baking Show

I can't be the only one here who finds this show
absolutely charming, can I?

http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/great-...h-baking-show/

8:00 p.m. tonight on PBS (East Coast US)

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/02/2015 12:29 PM, wrote:
> I can't be the only one here who finds this show
> absolutely charming, can I?

http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/great-...h-baking-show/

> 8:00 p.m. tonight on PBS (East Coast US)

Mary Berry is regarded in the UK with pretty much the same reverence as
Julia Child in the US.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in news:2988cecd-8bcc-4382-adcd-
:

> I can't be the only one here who finds this show
> absolutely charming, can I?

http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/great-...h-baking-show/

> 8:00 p.m. tonight on PBS (East Coast US)

You could easily be the only one.

--

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice,
you have chosen the side of the oppressor " --
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 11:29:25 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

>I can't be the only one here who finds this show
>absolutely charming, can I?

http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/great-...h-baking-show/

>8:00 p.m. tonight on PBS (East Coast US)

I've been watching it since the first episode. Then Downton Abbey at
9:00. Sunday night is a Big TV night for me!

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/22/2015 9:29 AM, wrote:
> I can't be the only one here who finds this show
> absolutely charming, can I?

http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/great-...h-baking-show/

> 8:00 p.m. tonight on PBS (East Coast US)

I saw the show once. It was interesting because the folks over there
have different ways of looking at things. Unfortunately, it was one of
those competition cooking shows. I don't much care for that overdone (in
the US) format. On the plus side, the competitors were fairly
accomplished amateurs - not pros.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

It shows here on Saturday mornings, and I haven't missed one yet! Charming is the
word for it...I hope Richard the carpenter wins. Or Luis.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

DAbbey? I am a big fan. I want Charles and Mary to get together, they share the same
Insouciance and sense of humor.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 22, 2015 at 2:36:25 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 11:29:25 -0800 (PST),
> wrote:

http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/great-...h-baking-show/

> No - I have watched some too and I am not a television minded person.
> I saw it the other night when the young girl was dropped, nice to see
> a young person cooking. Being in NS we watch PBS too, I can also get
> Detroit, but mostly land on PBS.

I've watched about 2 and a half of them. It's kind of fun to watch, but I got interrupted last night and missed the doughnuts.

So, I'm assuming NS means Nova Scotia? You get Detroit TV stations there?

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, VA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I can't be the only one here who finds this show
>absolutely charming, can I?

http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/great-...h-baking-show/

>8:00 p.m. tonight on PBS (East Coast US)

Thanks for the reminder, isn't it the finals this week, or
semi-finals?

J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 11:09:14 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> Unfortunately, it was one of those competition cooking shows.

That's why I have zero interest too.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
wrote:

> I can't be the only one here who finds this show
> absolutely charming, can I?

http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/great-...h-baking-show/

> 8:00 p.m. tonight on PBS (East Coast US)

We try to watch it every week and are watching it at the moment. Love
this show, which I find surprising since I cook a bit but never bake
anything, I like the competitors and the judges (though I have
reservations re. the two young ladies who I guess are there to provide
comic relief). In any event, I think this show stands head and shoulders
above any competition sponsored by the Food Network.

I agree, absolutely charming.

Dave W.
In the Ozarks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 16:42:35 -0800, JRStern >
wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 11:29:25 -0800 (PST),
>wrote:
>
>>I can't be the only one here who finds this show
>>absolutely charming, can I?

http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/great-...h-baking-show/

>>8:00 p.m. tonight on PBS (East Coast US)

>Thanks for the reminder, isn't it the finals this week, or
>semi-finals?
>
>J.

The Great British Baking Show
Episode: Patisserie
NEW
S05, E09
The semi-finalists make baklava, a German schichttorte cooked in
stages to create 20 layers, and two elegant entremets.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>I can't be the only one here who finds this show
> absolutely charming, can I?
>
> http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/great-...h-baking-show/
>
> 8:00 p.m. tonight on PBS (East Coast US)

I wonder if they will rerun it? We've got the Oscars on. I am not
interested in that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 22, 2015 at 4:26:52 PM UTC-8, wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 15:02:58 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, February 22, 2015 at 2:36:25 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> >> On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 11:29:25 -0800 (PST),
> >> wrote:

http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/great-...h-baking-show/

> >> No - I have watched some too and I am not a television minded person.
> >> I saw it the other night when the young girl was dropped, nice to see
> >> a young person cooking. Being in NS we watch PBS too, I can also get
> >> Detroit, but mostly land on PBS.

> >I've watched about 2 and a half of them. It's kind of fun to watch, but I got interrupted last night and missed the doughnuts.
> >
> >So, I'm assuming NS means Nova Scotia? You get Detroit TV stations there?
> >

> Yes, Nova Scotia. I only have basic cable but it includes PBS Boston
> and Detroit. Not sure why, but it always has. If I remember
> correctly, cable came in sometime early 70s, became a PBS member
> shortly thereafter, mostly because I loved watching Julia in the
> French Chef.

The Canadian government allowed Canadian cable companies to retransmit
the four US networks since the 1970s. Windsor, Ontario, being right across
the river from downtown Detroit, had the best over-the-air signal.
When CanCom got started, they uplinked programming from the four
Detroit network affiliates: WJBK-TV, WDIV-TV, WXYZ-TV and WTVS,
beginning in the early 1980s.

The US equivalent was the "Denver 5," the Denver network affiliates
plus independent KWGN. But to receive them in the US, you had to provide
proof you were outside the reception area of any terrestrial station.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/02/2015 10:43 PM, wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 17:16:44 -0800, JRStern >
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 16:42:35 -0800, JRStern >
>> wrote:

http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/great-...h-baking-show/

>>> Thanks for the reminder, isn't it the finals this week, or
>>> semi-finals?
>>>
>>> J.

>> The Great British Baking Show
>> Episode: Patisserie
>> NEW
>> S05, E09
>> The semi-finalists make baklava, a German schichttorte cooked in
>> stages to create 20 layers, and two elegant entremets.

> I got as far as the Schichttorte and somehow the eyes rested for a
> moment

Yeah, exciting shows do that to me too! ;-)

Who was dropped ?

--

Xeno.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

That was a semi-final...on last week.
This week is the final.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chetna left this week, so the final has Richard, Luis and the blond older lady.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The twenty layer bake was really interesting for me...each thin layer baked as an
addition on top of the previous one, and alternating light and dark in color. Whoever
thought that up? And what would be the point, when there was no filling between
the layers? It must have been a pastry school exercise originally. Or some form of
torturing the hired help.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message ...

On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 05:37:19 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>Chetna left this week, so the final has Richard, Luis and the blond older
>lady.
>
>N.

Thanks - I think they repeat mid week, so I must look. Funny I don't
remember the name of the blond older lady either, I found her ideas
good, but not always her presentation.

I spoilered myself by accident (reading Downton Abbey recaps) so I know who
won!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 05:37:19 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>Chetna left this week, so the final has Richard, Luis and the blond older lady.
>
>N.

Um, wasn't it Nancy?

J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 08:02:03 -0800, JRStern >
wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 05:37:19 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:
>
>>Chetna left this week, so the final has Richard, Luis and the blond older lady.
>>
>>N.

>Um, wasn't it Nancy?
>
>J.

http://www.pbs.org/food/features/gre...w-baker-nancy/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Well, I thought she was the one named Nancy, but was unsure because that is my name. LOL.

N.