Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lamb stew curry

It's cold here too so I have a mix of lamb bits (all bone in, shoulder
and 'stew' cuts) going in a curry sauce.

Not fancy at all today. I took my last 3 cups lamb bone broth and
added 3 packets of turkey gravy (hey, dont scream, it was handy) then
about 1.5 lbs of the meat and 2 TS hot Jamaican curry mix and about 1
ts white pepper. Made up the water until covered (maybe 2 cups more
added)

Letting it simmer on low to go with rice later. It's one of those
dishes better the second day as it totally melds...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 4:08:41 PM UTC-8, cshenk wrote:
> It's cold here too so I have a mix of lamb bits (all bone in, shoulder
> and 'stew' cuts) going in a curry sauce.
>
> Not fancy at all today. I took my last 3 cups lamb bone broth and
> added 3 packets of turkey gravy (hey, dont scream, it was handy) then
> about 1.5 lbs of the meat and 2 TS hot Jamaican curry mix and about 1
> ts white pepper. Made up the water until covered (maybe 2 cups more
> added)
>
> Letting it simmer on low to go with rice later. It's one of those
> dishes better the second day as it totally melds...

Considering this is a fave and not an experiment, perhaps I should say
nothing, but... for lamb curry I always like a LOT of cumin. And if
you are looking to make a sauce I always use whole milk yogurt. (Greek
yogurt is a little too thick, unless you just stir some in near the
end of cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 4:08:41 PM UTC-8, cshenk wrote:
> > It's cold here too so I have a mix of lamb bits (all bone in,
> > shoulder and 'stew' cuts) going in a curry sauce.
> >
> > Not fancy at all today. I took my last 3 cups lamb bone broth and
> > added 3 packets of turkey gravy (hey, dont scream, it was handy)
> > then about 1.5 lbs of the meat and 2 TS hot Jamaican curry mix and
> > about 1 ts white pepper. Made up the water until covered (maybe 2
> > cups more added)
> >
> > Letting it simmer on low to go with rice later. It's one of those
> > dishes better the second day as it totally melds...
> >

> Considering this is a fave and not an experiment, perhaps I should say
> nothing, but... for lamb curry I always like a LOT of cumin. And if
> you are looking to make a sauce I always use whole milk yogurt. (Greek
> yogurt is a little too thick, unless you just stir some in near the
> end of cooking.

No problem! I am also looking for variation. My normal doesnt cheat
that much with gravy packets. It's just what i had that day but knew
it would be close enough to match.

The curry blend in this case makes cumin nt work but if i omitted the
curry blend and went more a yougurt mix, cumin seed would be
*wonderful* in that!

That makes me think I might be able to make a separate small sauce of
cumin and yogurt to top the Lamb with, then gently warmed together for
lunches...

Humm! Thanks! Like many in the USA, I am a bit new to lamb and not
always sure how to work with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Feb 2015 17:56:50 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 4:08:41 PM UTC-8, cshenk wrote:
>> > It's cold here too so I have a mix of lamb bits (all bone in,
>> > shoulder and 'stew' cuts) going in a curry sauce.
>> >
>> > Not fancy at all today. I took my last 3 cups lamb bone broth and
>> > added 3 packets of turkey gravy (hey, dont scream, it was handy)
>> > then about 1.5 lbs of the meat and 2 TS hot Jamaican curry mix and
>> > about 1 ts white pepper. Made up the water until covered (maybe 2
>> > cups more added)
>> >
>> > Letting it simmer on low to go with rice later. It's one of those
>> > dishes better the second day as it totally melds...
>> >

>> Considering this is a fave and not an experiment, perhaps I should say
>> nothing, but... for lamb curry I always like a LOT of cumin. And if
>> you are looking to make a sauce I always use whole milk yogurt. (Greek
>> yogurt is a little too thick, unless you just stir some in near the
>> end of cooking.

>No problem! I am also looking for variation. My normal doesnt cheat
>that much with gravy packets. It's just what i had that day but knew
>it would be close enough to match.
>
>The curry blend in this case makes cumin nt work but if i omitted the
>curry blend and went more a yougurt mix, cumin seed would be
>*wonderful* in that!
>
>That makes me think I might be able to make a separate small sauce of
>cumin and yogurt to top the Lamb with, then gently warmed together for
>lunches...
>

>Humm! Thanks! Like many in the USA, I am a bit new to lamb and not
>always sure how to work with it.

Well curry takes it in a non-mediterranean direction, and actually
sounds delicious, in general lamb is very versatile and can support a
lot of different treatments. Greek/middle-eastern tends to leave it
pretty plain with a few spices and a dip, which is plenty good, but
I've had Chinese treatments too, certainly "Mongolian lamb" wok-fried
with scallions, others have lamb with mint jelly, etc. Greek/American
lamb chops are just broiled with a little salt and pepper and served.
I could live on lamb Merguez sausages, heavy with whatever it is in
"merguez", cumin and sumac and/or fennel and coriander and garlic and
paprika and cinnamon (?) and you name it.

J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JRStern wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Thu, 26 Feb 2015 17:56:50 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> and >> > added 3 packets of turkey gravy (hey, dont scream, it was
> handy) >> > then about 1.5 lbs of the meat and 2 TS hot Jamaican
> curry mix and >> > about 1 ts white pepper. Made up the water until
> covered (maybe 2 >> > cups more added)

> >> Considering this is a fave and not an experiment, perhaps I should

> say >> nothing, but... for lamb curry I always like a LOT of cumin.
> And if >> you are looking to make a sauce I always use whole milk
> yogurt. (Greek >> yogurt is a little too thick, unless you just stir
> some in near the >> end of cooking.
> >
> > No problem! I am also looking for variation. My normal doesnt
> > cheat that much with gravy packets. It's just what i had that day
> > but knew it would be close enough to match.
> >
> > The curry blend in this case makes cumin nt work but if i omitted
> > the curry blend and went more a yougurt mix, cumin seed would be
> > *wonderful* in that!
> >
> > That makes me think I might be able to make a separate small sauce
> > of cumin and yogurt to top the Lamb with, then gently warmed
> > together for lunches...
> >

> > Humm! Thanks! Like many in the USA, I am a bit new to lamb and not
> > always sure how to work with it.

> Well curry takes it in a non-mediterranean direction, and actually
> sounds delicious, in general lamb is very versatile and can support a
> lot of different treatments. Greek/middle-eastern tends to leave it
> pretty plain with a few spices and a dip, which is plenty good, but
> I've had Chinese treatments too, certainly "Mongolian lamb" wok-fried
> with scallions, others have lamb with mint jelly, etc. Greek/American
> lamb chops are just broiled with a little salt and pepper and served.
> I could live on lamb Merguez sausages, heavy with whatever it is in
> "merguez", cumin and sumac and/or fennel and coriander and garlic and
> paprika and cinnamon (?) and you name it.
>
> J.

I tried your general direction with yogurt on Friday for lunch. It was
lovely and very different from my normal sort! I mixed yogurt (plain)
with some cumin and hot hugarian paprika and let that set to blend the
night before, then nuked some lamb for lunch and added the mix. Very
nice!

Lamb Stew cshenk General Cooking 11 21-01-2015 04:48 PM
New lamb curry recipe try out Phil..c General Cooking 12 18-09-2009 04:24 PM
Lamb stew [email protected] Asian Cooking 4 27-01-2009 02:55 AM
Bought some lamb meat (stew) but i don't want to make stew amandaF General Cooking 6 01-09-2008 03:27 AM
Lamb and spinach curry.... Chatty Cathy General Cooking 10 10-07-2006 02:34 PM