Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default yellow cake mix

> wrote in message
> On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 3:09:11 AM UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> I am surprised that mixing cake mix and pudding together
>> would allow a cake to bake propely.
>>

> Believe it or not, the cake comes out great and the dry pudding mix has no
> adverse effects.

Is that because it is made with a 'cake mix' rather than regular cake
recipe?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 16:50:07 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 3:09:11 AM UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:
> >>
> >> I am surprised that mixing cake mix and pudding together
> >> would allow a cake to bake propely.
> >>

> > Believe it or not, the cake comes out great and the dry pudding mix has no
> > adverse effects.

> Is that because it is made with a 'cake mix' rather than regular cake
> recipe?

Why would that be?

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> The idea is kind of goofy in this country but a Mexican or
> South American wouldn't find it goofy at all.

They raise and eat guinea pigs in Ecuador. Those heathens! ;-o
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 22:56:03 +0800, JBurns >
wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Feb 2015 13:36:20 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 17 Feb 2015 13:17:23 -0500, S Viemeister
> > wrote:

> >> You know, I've never noticed cake mixes in Scottish shops - they may
> >> well exist, but they certainly aren't as noticeable as the row after row
> >> of mixes (some of them garishly coloured) I see in US markets.

> >I don't know where you see that, there are very few cake mixes on the
> >shelves where I shop. You UK people use self-rising flour which is
> >basically what's in a box mix. So you add a little more stuff, so
> >what.

> They are probably not using SR flour as it causes uneven rise in
> cakes, typically a taller middle than outsides.
>
> People that are serious cake cooks use plain flour and baking powder
> or bicarb and cream of tartar.

They are probably the very same type of not serious cook that uses a
boxed mix over here.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 12:36:01 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "William" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 22:36:45 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:

> >>Please would you explain that more fully? I have never bought a boxed
> >>cake
> >>mix
> >>but I would be willing to try it if you explain how the jello works with
> >>it.

> > Oh no Ophelia...you're going to be totally "ruined" as a "from
> > scratch" baker if you keep listening to these "semi-homemade"
> > bakers over in "the colonies"!

> Well I am not saying I will make one, but it is something new and I am
> interested in how they did it
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Knowledge is a good thing. Just because you have a hunger for knowledge, it doesn't mean you want to make it and eat it. Take, for example, haggis... please... :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 6:58:04 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > The idea is kind of goofy in this country but a Mexican or
> > South American wouldn't find it goofy at all.

> They raise and eat guinea pigs in Ecuador. Those heathens! ;-o

Good point. ;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 12:36:01 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> "William" > wrote in message
>> > On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 22:36:45 -0000, "Ophelia"

>> > Oh no Ophelia...you're going to be totally "ruined" as a "from
>> > scratch" baker if you keep listening to these "semi-homemade"
>> > bakers over in "the colonies"!

>> Well I am not saying I will make one, but it is something new and I am
>> interested in how they did it
>>
>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

> Knowledge is a good thing. Just because you have a hunger for knowledge,
> it doesn't mean you want to make it and eat it. Take, for example,
> haggis... please... :-)

Oh yes ... please take it ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2015 8:30 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> and no

>>> flavor

>>> Well I am not saying I will make one, but it is something new and I am
>>> interested in how they did it
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

>> Knowledge is a good thing. Just because you have a hunger for
>> knowledge, it doesn't mean you want to make it and eat it. Take, for
>> example, haggis... please... :-)

> Oh yes ... please take it ...

Oh yeah, you're English, right? OTOH, if it was a choice between that
and maggot infested cheese, I'm going for that stuffed sheep stomach!

Sorry to hear of your bonnie dog, Bonnie. My guess is that she was one
lucky dog.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 10:22:26 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 12:36:01 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "William" > wrote in message
> > > On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 22:36:45 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > >

> > Well I am not saying I will make one, but it is something new and I am
> > interested in how they did it
> >
> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

> Knowledge is a good thing. Just because you have a hunger for knowledge, it doesn't mean you want to make it and eat it. Take, for example, haggis... please... :-)

And scrapple. And Spam, for that matter.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2015 9:32 AM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 10:22:26 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
> wrote:

>>> Well I am not saying I will make one, but it is something new and I am
>>> interested in how they did it
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

>> Knowledge is a good thing. Just because you have a hunger for knowledge, it doesn't mean you want to make it and eat it. Take, for example, haggis... please... :-)

> And scrapple. And Spam, for that matter.

I'll take the Spam please. It's not that I'm crazy about the stuff but
I'm worried that the volcano next door is gonna blow and well, canned
meat substance is gonna be worth it's weight in poi.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message

> Sorry to hear of your bonnie dog, Bonnie. My guess is that she was one
> lucky dog.

Thank you. I was lucky too ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

>> > The Seattle metropolitan area has 3.6 million people. How many of
>> > them do you know? I believe your sample size is a little too small
>> > (and biased) to make any generalizations.

>> How did I generalize? I said "nobody I know here".

> Here's an analogy:
>
> Me: Chinese people tend to like rice
>
> You: Not the one that I know
>
> There are so many people doing so many different things, that to say
> "nobody I know here" is not worth wasting the electrons to make
> the post.

That's not generalizing either if I say that one specific person that I know
doesn't like rice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
\> Did you see the episode of America's Test Kitchen where they made it?
Gee,
> all the hoops they had to go through. And it's the sort of thing I would
> have made when I was younger had I heard of it then. I used to love
> making
> complicated things. Not sure anyone in my family would have liked it
> though. We're not big dairy lovers.

I have not seen that episode. The concept is not a difficult one though. You
make a sponge cake with a good amount of eggs, poke holes in it, put a sweet
mix of canned milk and cream on it and let it soak to the bottom. Frost with
a whipped cream based frosting. The idea is kind of goofy in this country
but a Mexican or South American wouldn't find it goofy at all.

---

They claimed that they had all sorts of problems with the normal recipe. I
read somewhere that on that show they look for problems that aren't really
there and reinvent the wheel. I think in a lot of cases this is true!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
>> On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 3:09:11 AM UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> I am surprised that mixing cake mix and pudding together
>>> would allow a cake to bake propely.
>>>

>> Believe it or not, the cake comes out great and the dry pudding mix has
>> no
>> adverse effects.

> Is that because it is made with a 'cake mix' rather than regular cake
> recipe?

No. A cake mix is really no different than a scratch cake. They just mix
all of the dry ingredients up for you. You then add egg, butter or oil,
water, milk, juice, whatever, depending on what kind of cake it is. The
pudding just adds moistness.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2015 1:35 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
> \> Did you see the episode of America's Test Kitchen where they made it?
> Gee,
>> all the hoops they had to go through. And it's the sort of thing I would
>> have made when I was younger had I heard of it then. I used to love
>> making
>> complicated things. Not sure anyone in my family would have liked it
>> though. We're not big dairy lovers.

> I have not seen that episode. The concept is not a difficult one though.
> You make a sponge cake with a good amount of eggs, poke holes in it, put
> a sweet mix of canned milk and cream on it and let it soak to the
> bottom. Frost with a whipped cream based frosting. The idea is kind of
> goofy in this country but a Mexican or South American wouldn't find it
> goofy at all.
>
> ---
>
> They claimed that they had all sorts of problems with the normal
> recipe. I read somewhere that on that show they look for problems that
> aren't really there and reinvent the wheel. I think in a lot of cases
> this is true!

Well, they do have an hour, or however long the show is, to fill. They
probably be finding all kinds of problems with cooking a guinea pig -
one of the simplest of rodents to prepare!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 08:44:20 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

> I have not seen that episode. The concept is not a difficult one though. You make a sponge cake with a good amount of eggs, poke holes in it, put a sweet mix of canned milk and cream on it and let it soak to the bottom. Frost with a whipped cream based frosting. The idea is kind of goofy in this country but a Mexican or South American wouldn't find it goofy at all.

I've eaten it twice and it's delicious. Wouldn't turn it down if
someone offered it to me again.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 10:50:03 AM UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:
> > wrote in message
> >>

> > Believe it or not, the cake comes out great and the dry pudding mix has no
> > adverse effects.

> Is that because it is made with a 'cake mix' rather than regular cake
> recipe?

I'm guessing yes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 7:50:29 PM UTC-6, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> jinx the minx wrote:
> >
> >You don't need to use boxed cake/jello/pudding mixes! My mom used to make
> >the pudding ones with homemade cake and pudding. Google for Kraft brand
> >recipes to get the gist.

> This is my favorite cake:
> http://www.cooksinfo.com/tunnel-of-fudge-cake

It's easy to believe that "the tunnel of fudge" is your favorite.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 07:36:11 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 7:50:29 PM UTC-6, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > jinx the minx wrote:
> > >
> > >You don't need to use boxed cake/jello/pudding mixes! My mom used to make
> > >the pudding ones with homemade cake and pudding. Google for Kraft brand
> > >recipes to get the gist.

> > This is my favorite cake:
> > http://www.cooksinfo.com/tunnel-of-fudge-cake

That is not an example of pudding cake. It's simply an undercooked
chocolate cake. I like the individual "lava cake" version. Don't
know why I haven't ever made them myself, they're certainly easy
enough - I just haven't.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 7:58:34 AM UTC-6, sf wrote:

> You can't bread and fry every piece of meat that's destined
> for dinner without paying for it eventually.

If you skip the potatoes and bread, you can enjoy breaded and
fried meat as often as you like. You can also fry w/o breading.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 07:57:11 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 7:58:34 AM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> >

> > You can't bread and fry every piece of meat that's destined
> > for dinner without paying for it eventually.
> >

> If you skip the potatoes and bread, you can enjoy breaded and
> fried meat as often as you like. You can also fry w/o breading.

Breaded fried meat = disgusting.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 19, 2015 at 11:27:28 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 07:57:11 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> > wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 7:58:34 AM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> > >

> > > You can't bread and fry every piece of meat that's destined
> > > for dinner without paying for it eventually.
> > >

> > If you skip the potatoes and bread, you can enjoy breaded and
> > fried meat as often as you like. You can also fry w/o breading.
> >

> Breaded fried meat = disgusting.
>
> --
> A kitchen without a cook is just a room

Look who you're talking to. The cuts of...."meat" that he can afford need to be fried to cover up the taste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 07:46:53 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 07:36:11 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

>> > This is my favorite cake:
>> > http://www.cooksinfo.com/tunnel-of-fudge-cake

>That is not an example of pudding cake. It's simply an undercooked
>chocolate cake. I like the individual "lava cake" version. Don't
>know why I haven't ever made them myself, they're certainly easy
>enough - I just haven't.

I made molton chocolate cakes for DH and me on Valentines day. It was
the first time I'd ever made them, and also the first time we had even
eaten them! They came out perfectly, and was extremely easy to put
together. I like the fact that you can scale the recipe down for only
2 servings.

I used this recipe:
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/m...s-vongerichten

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 07:46:53 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 07:36:11 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

>>That is not an example of pudding cake. It's simply an undercooked
>>chocolate cake. I like the individual "lava cake" version. Don't
>>know why I haven't ever made them myself, they're certainly easy
>>enough - I just haven't.

> I made molton chocolate cakes for DH and me on Valentines day. It was
> the first time I'd ever made them, and also the first time we had even
> eaten them! They came out perfectly, and was extremely easy to put
> together. I like the fact that you can scale the recipe down for only
> 2 servings.
>
> I used this recipe:
> http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/m...s-vongerichten
>
> Doris

I got this out of the paper recently and was going to try it for the next
special occasion, but the recipe you used sounds very easy and good, so will
try that first.

From Lori Bowles, Lodi

"One of the best desserts, in my humble opinion, is molten lava cake.
Because I
love it so much, I spent quite a bit of time researching recipes and
rejected
several as they were mostly shortcut versions. In order to recreate that
warm,
intensely chocolatey flavor, I knew that it would have to be from scratch.

The following formula captures chocolate as a smooth river that flows out
into a
satisfying pool with a cake that is half meringue and half-steamed pudding.
Pure
bliss. In addition, the almond flour in the cake provides protein, while
adding
very little carbohydrates and no gluten."

Melt my hearts

Filling

2 1/2 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (from baking bar)

2 tablespoons butter

1 tablespoon light corn syrup

1/4 teaspoon cherry flavoring

In a small heatproof glass dish, if using microwave, or in a double boiler,
melt
the 2 1/2 ounces chocolate, butter and corn syrup. Stir till smooth, then
cool
in refrigerator till mixture is solid enough to form six equal balls. Place
balls on plate and place in freezer for at least 30 minutes, preferably
longer.
(Filling can be made a day or two ahead, if more convenient)

Cakes

6 1/2 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate

7 tablespoons butter (not margarine), diced

1/4 teaspoon salt, heaped

1/4 teaspoon almond extract

1 tablespoon vanilla

1 tablespoon water

4 large eggs, separated

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup almond flour (Bob's Red Mill; available locally or grind 1/2 cup raw
almonds to a fine texture in a food processor)

1 cup sugar, divided

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an extra large cup muffin tin (1
cup
capacity/4 inches wide by 2 inches deep) and sprinkle lightly with more
almond
flour from bag. In a double boiler or in microwave, melt the 6 1/2 ounces
chocolate. Stir in butter till melted and mixture is smooth then immediately
add
almond extract, vanilla, water, egg yolks, flour, nut flour and 1/2 cup of
sugar. Stir until well blended.

In another bowl, beat egg whites until frothy. Add remaining 1/2 cup of
sugar
gradually and continue beating until soft peaks form. Fold half the egg
white
mixture into chocolate mixture, being sure to get all the way to the bottom
of
the bowl. Gently fold in remaining beaten egg whites.

Place a 1/2 cup of batter into each muffin cup. Gently smooth batter and
place
one frozen ball of filling on top. Top with batter to fill.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes (check carefully after 15 minutes; they will puff
and
cracking will appear when done). Remove muffin tin from oven and let cakes
stand
for a minute or two while carefully and gently loosening them from cups.
Turn
out onto cooling rack. Serve immediately, with any decorative edibles you
would
like or just a dusting of powdered sugar. Serves 6

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 2:49:48 PM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 08:44:20 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <>
> wrote:
>

> > I have not seen that episode. The concept is not a difficult one though.. You make a sponge cake with a good amount of eggs, poke holes in it, put a sweet mix of canned milk and cream on it and let it soak to the bottom. Frost with a whipped cream based frosting. The idea is kind of goofy in this country but a Mexican or South American wouldn't find it goofy at all.

> I've eaten it twice and it's delicious. Wouldn't turn it down if
> someone offered it to me again.

That goes double for me! Of course that means I have to stick very close to a water closet but 'tis a small price to pay.

> --
> A kitchen without a cook is just a room

Posted to rec.food.cooking

A really nice quality piece of pork loin breaded and fried to make a tenderloin sandwich
can't be beat. Unfortunately, many people in some areas of the country have never had
the pleasure of a really good one.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 19, 2015 at 9:11:13 AM UTC-10, Nancy2 wrote:
> A really nice quality piece of pork loin breaded and fried to make a tenderloin sandwich
> can't be beat. Unfortunately, many people in some areas of the country have never had
> the pleasure of a really good one.
>
> N.

A katsu sando is very popular in Japan. The Japanese know the value of a good pork sandwich. It's preparation and presentation is quite specific i.e., the best katsu sando is always gonna look like this one:

http://www.kawaiikakkoiisugoi.com/20...x-hello-kitty/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 19, 2015 at 11:32:48 AM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Thursday, February 19, 2015 at 11:27:28 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> > On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 07:57:11 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> > > wrote:

> > > If you skip the potatoes and bread, you can enjoy breaded and
> > > fried meat as often as you like. You can also fry w/o breading.
> > >

> > Breaded fried meat = disgusting.

Writes the lazy old woman who *fries* in her oven.

> Look who you're talking to. The cuts of...."meat" that he can afford need to be fried to cover up the taste.

You're a goofball. Somehow you got it into your head that I'm poor.
I'm not poor, and if I were, I would not be ashamed of it. I am a
Marxian, and do not hold that a person's wealth or earning potential
is highly correlated with his/her worth. I live my life very much in
public, whereas you are an anonymous slinking coward. You might be a
wealthy tycoon, or you could be a pauper. You seem to be male, but
you could be female, or a hermaphrodite for all we know.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I make a lemon cake, poke holes with end of wooden spoon, and pour in lime jello. Frost with a light glaze.

Yellow cake, poke holes, pour in vanilla pudding, frost with chocolate frosting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 10:49:58 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Doris Night" > wrote in message
.. .
> [...]

>white
>mixture into chocolate mixture, being sure to get all the way to the bottom
>of
>the bowl. Gently fold in remaining beaten egg whites.
>
>Place a 1/2 cup of batter into each muffin cup. Gently smooth batter and
>place
>one frozen ball of filling on top. Top with batter to fill.
>
>Bake for 20 to 25 minutes (check carefully after 15 minutes; they will puff
>and
>cracking will appear when done). Remove muffin tin from oven and let cakes
>stand
>for a minute or two while carefully and gently loosening them from cups.
>Turn
>out onto cooling rack. Serve immediately, with any decorative edibles you
>would
>like or just a dusting of powdered sugar. Serves 6

I think when you put a chocolate "ball" in the middle of the cake, you
are cheating.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 12:37:28 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

> On Thursday, February 19, 2015 at 11:32:48 AM UTC-6, wrote:
> > On Thursday, February 19, 2015 at 11:27:28 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> > > On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 07:57:11 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW

> > > Breaded fried meat = disgusting.
> > >

> Writes the lazy old woman who *fries* in her oven.

The physical difference between them is so small, that not needing a
quart of grease to fry them is all the motivation I need to use the
oven.

> > Look who you're talking to. The cuts of...."meat" that he can afford need to be fried to cover up the taste.

> You're a goofball. Somehow you got it into your head that I'm poor.
> I'm not poor, and if I were, I would not be ashamed of it. I am a
> Marxian, and do not hold that a person's wealth or earning potential
> is highly correlated with his/her worth. I live my life very much in
> public, whereas you are an anonymous slinking coward. You might be a
> wealthy tycoon, or you could be a pauper. You seem to be male, but
> you could be female, or a hermaphrodite for all we know.

Bring out the tiny violin.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 13:16:15 -0500, Doris Night
> wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 07:46:53 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 07:36:11 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> > wrote:

> >That is not an example of pudding cake. It's simply an undercooked
> >chocolate cake. I like the individual "lava cake" version. Don't
> >know why I haven't ever made them myself, they're certainly easy
> >enough - I just haven't.

> I made molton chocolate cakes for DH and me on Valentines day. It was
> the first time I'd ever made them, and also the first time we had even
> eaten them! They came out perfectly, and was extremely easy to put
> together. I like the fact that you can scale the recipe down for only
> 2 servings.
>
> I used this recipe:
> http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/m...s-vongerichten

4 oz butter and only 2T of flour? No wonder you liked it! Who
wouldn't? LOL

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 22:34:23 -0500, Doris Night
> wrote:

> I think when you put a chocolate "ball" in the middle of the cake, you
> are cheating.

Agree.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message

> I think when you put a chocolate "ball" in the middle of the cake, you
> are cheating.
>
> Doris

Who cares if it tastes good. It is much more involved than the simple recipe
though, so I will try that first.

Cheri