Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ginger lead contamination

OMG, do you have any idea how much TJ's ginger I ate?

I wondered why they stopped carrying it.

No wonder I'm ten pounds overweight ...

J.

http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/...nymore-5354482

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=ginger+lead

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_233662...es-trader-joes

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/900600

http://abc7news.com/archive/8765390/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Feb 2015 11:12:35 -0800, JRStern >
wrote:

> OMG, do you have any idea how much TJ's ginger I ate?

I wanted to buy a container of Trader Joe's wonderful gingersnap
cookies (with chunks of candied ginger) the last time I shopped there
and didn't see any. Now I know why. I wish we would stop importing
food that has ever been anywhere near China or Asia in general.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Feb 2015 11:28:50 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Feb 2015 11:12:35 -0800, JRStern >
>wrote:
>
>> OMG, do you have any idea how much TJ's ginger I ate?
>>

>I wanted to buy a container of Trader Joe's wonderful gingersnap
>cookies (with chunks of candied ginger) the last time I shopped there
>and didn't see any. Now I know why. I wish we would stop importing
>food that has ever been anywhere near China or Asia in general.

Gingeroos? I must have bought the last one, last week, Australian
ginger must still be OK ... those are still on sale, and I believe
some dry ginger cookies as well. And they sold barrels of "ginger
brew" at Christmas. And I think they still have chocolate-dipped
ginger.

J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I wanted to buy a container of Trader Joe's wonderful gingersnap
> cookies (with chunks of candied ginger) the last time I shopped there
> and didn't see any. Now I know why. I wish we would stop importing
> food that has ever been anywhere near China or Asia in general.

"Trader Joe's wonderful gingersnap cookies (with chunks of candied
ginger)" ???

Really? I made a special trip there once just to try these so
wonderful ginger snaps. I wasn't impressed. I did save the nifty
plastic container though. It's my new cookie jar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Feb 2015 13:34:52 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>sf wrote:
>>
>> I wanted to buy a container of Trader Joe's wonderful gingersnap
>> cookies (with chunks of candied ginger) the last time I shopped there
>> and didn't see any. Now I know why. I wish we would stop importing
>> food that has ever been anywhere near China or Asia in general.

>"Trader Joe's wonderful gingersnap cookies (with chunks of candied
>ginger)" ???
>
>Really? I made a special trip there once just to try these so
>wonderful ginger snaps. I wasn't impressed. I did save the nifty
>plastic container though. It's my new cookie jar.

Still selling, just saw them in the new flyer.

I tried them once and wasn't impressed either, but try the big, soft
Gingeroos ...

J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 9:12:35 AM UTC-10, JRStern wrote:
> OMG, do you have any idea how much TJ's ginger I ate?
>
> I wondered why they stopped carrying it.
>
> No wonder I'm ten pounds overweight ...
>
> J.
>

> http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/...nymore-5354482
>
> https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=ginger+lead
>
> http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_233662...es-trader-joes
>
> http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/900600
>
> http://abc7news.com/archive/8765390/

I use candied ginger instead of fresh these days. It works just spiffy and lasts forever. I'm not too worried about this new food hysteria. A little lead in a little piece of ginger ain't gonna kill you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Feb 2015 13:34:52 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > I wanted to buy a container of Trader Joe's wonderful gingersnap
> > cookies (with chunks of candied ginger) the last time I shopped there
> > and didn't see any. Now I know why. I wish we would stop importing
> > food that has ever been anywhere near China or Asia in general.

> "Trader Joe's wonderful gingersnap cookies (with chunks of candied
> ginger)" ???

Yes.

> Really? I made a special trip there once just to try these so
> wonderful ginger snaps. I wasn't impressed.

I loved them.

> I did save the nifty plastic container though. It's my new cookie jar.

That goes into the recycling bin at my house.

We need to contact our congress people and senators about stopping the
TPP, which is an expansion of NAFTA. If you don't like NAFTA, you
will hate TPP. It means more jobs shipped to Asia and more
contaminated imported food, if we don't stop that thing.
http://www.citizen.org/TPP

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-02-03 19:28:50 +0000, sf said:

> On Tue, 03 Feb 2015 11:12:35 -0800, JRStern >
> wrote:
>
>> OMG, do you have any idea how much TJ's ginger I ate?
>>

> I wanted to buy a container of Trader Joe's wonderful gingersnap
> cookies (with chunks of candied ginger) the last time I shopped there
> and didn't see any. Now I know why. I wish we would stop importing
> food that has ever been anywhere near China or Asia in general.

There will always be unscrupulous vendors and inattentive shoppers.
Sadly the FDA has dropped the food safety and adulteration ball so
these days you have to be your own food safety agency.

That's ok - in fact it was probably always up to the consumer to assure
the quality of their own goods. FDA enforcement actions are usually
late in coming and often completely voluntary as well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Feb 2015 13:55:59 -0800, Oregonian Haruspex
> wrote:

> On 2015-02-03 19:28:50 +0000, sf said:
>
> > On Tue, 03 Feb 2015 11:12:35 -0800, JRStern >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> OMG, do you have any idea how much TJ's ginger I ate?
> >>

> > I wanted to buy a container of Trader Joe's wonderful gingersnap
> > cookies (with chunks of candied ginger) the last time I shopped there
> > and didn't see any. Now I know why. I wish we would stop importing
> > food that has ever been anywhere near China or Asia in general.

> There will always be unscrupulous vendors and inattentive shoppers.
> Sadly the FDA has dropped the food safety and adulteration ball so
> these days you have to be your own food safety agency.
>
> That's ok - in fact it was probably always up to the consumer to assure
> the quality of their own goods. FDA enforcement actions are usually
> late in coming and often completely voluntary as well.

If no one is going to watch our backs, then we're up a creek without a
paddle because we rely on production food these days, not what we
produce ourselves on our farm or in our garden.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puritan Pride honestly told me their ginger caps come from both Nicaraqua and China.

barrel contamination?? [email protected] Winemaking 1 22-10-2006 04:20 AM
Contamination? el Carterro Winemaking 3 10-08-2005 06:48 PM
Starter contamination? Samartha Deva Sourdough 0 21-05-2005 05:00 AM
Well water contamination kr0 General 0 10-03-2005 08:32 PM
Racking and air contamination Willie Winemaking 13 05-12-2004 01:07 AM