Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ping Cheri (clams)

I can't find clams anywhere, not fresh, not canned, not frozen

I can only find Mussels, Prawns, Squid and Scallops.

Would you use any of those?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 10:15:11 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>I can't find clams anywhere, not fresh, not canned, not frozen
>>
>>I can only find Mussels, Prawns, Squid and Scallops.
>>
>>Would you use any of those?

> I've been to the UK once and I cooked a dinner there once. The main
> ingredient was canned clams from Tesco I nearly got killed driving
> there on the wrong side of the road.

So, did you blame the clams? ;-) Tesco near here has no clams at all.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 10:55:31 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 10:15:11 -0000, "Ophelia"

>>> I've been to the UK once and I cooked a dinner there once. The main
>>> ingredient was canned clams from Tesco I nearly got killed driving
>>> there on the wrong side of the road.

>>So, did you blame the clams? ;-) Tesco near here has no clams at all.

> This was in London. I almost got into a serious collision at the
> parking lot and I blamed myself

London is a hellhole to drive in if you are not used to UK traffic. Not
sure about the car park though ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 11:19:05 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
>>news
>>> On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 10:55:31 -0000, "Ophelia"

m...

>>> This was in London. I almost got into a serious collision at the
>>> parking lot and I blamed myself

>> London is a hellhole to drive in if you are not used to UK traffic. Not
>>sure about the car park though ...

> Lol, the carpark wasn't particularly hectic, but the left/right thing
> is easier when you can follow other cars. At a car park most of the
> other cars are standing still

Yers that had occurred to me ... so, were you trying to outmanoeuvre one of
the parked cars?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 10:15:11 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>I can't find clams anywhere, not fresh, not canned, not frozen
>>
>>I can only find Mussels, Prawns, Squid and Scallops.
>>
>>Would you use any of those?

> Scallops would make a nice chowder, but I have never done so, too
> expensive. They are nice just whisked through some hot butter, do not
> overcook. I have had chowder made with mussels and though I love
> mussels, didn't care for them in chowder form.

Thanks.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 11:46:07 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 11:19:05 -0000, "Ophelia"

>>> Lol, the carpark wasn't particularly hectic, but the left/right thing
>>> is easier when you can follow other cars. At a car park most of the
>>> other cars are standing still

>>Yers that had occurred to me ... so, were you trying to outmanoeuvre one
>>of
>>the parked cars?

> I wanted to turn from a side lane left into a main lane of the car
> park and I wasn't expecting anybody coming from the right in my new
> lane.
>
> Generally speaking, people were quite polite about my misbehaviours,
> by the way.

Very pleased to hear it

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

lucretiaborgia wrote:
>Ophelia wrote:
>>
>>I can't find clams anywhere, not fresh, not canned, not frozen
>>I can only find Mussels, Prawns, Squid and Scallops.
>>Would you use any of those?

>Scallops would make a nice chowder, but I have never done so, too
>expensive. They are nice just whisked through some hot butter, do not
>overcook. I have had chowder made with mussels and though I love
>mussels, didn't care for them in chowder form.

I wouldn't use any canned bivalve's for chowder... if you can't buy
fresh live clams for chowder (preferably chowder clams) I'd use fresh
fin fish for chowder... bouillabaisse sounds good on a cold winter day
(-2ºF now), use whatever fin/shell fish is fresh... be sure to include
saffron, fennel, and orange zest, wine is optional but I'd use
sauternes.
http://www.cliffordawright.com/caw/f...lay.php/id/70/
Yummm. . . .
http://hottytoddy.com/wp-content/upl...e-DSCN6369.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> I can't find clams anywhere, not fresh, not canned, not frozen
>
> I can only find Mussels, Prawns, Squid and Scallops.
>
> Would you use any of those?

I'm sorry that you can't find them, but ( even though I have never used them
in chowder) I would use mussels, scallops, etc. It would just be seafood
chowder and very tasty I'm sure.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>
>> I can't find clams anywhere, not fresh, not canned, not frozen
>>
>> I can only find Mussels, Prawns, Squid and Scallops.
>>
>> Would you use any of those?

> I'm sorry that you can't find them, but ( even though I have never used
> them in chowder) I would use mussels, scallops, etc. It would just be
> seafood chowder and very tasty I'm sure.

Using the same recipe you shared?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 10:15:11 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> I can't find clams anywhere, not fresh, not canned, not frozen
>
> I can only find Mussels, Prawns, Squid and Scallops.
>
> Would you use any of those?

I certainly would and I have You can use mussels in anything you
would use clams in. They are slightly sweeter tasting and not in a
bad way. Never tried them in a cream based chowder, but they would
certainly work in Manhattan style chowder which is tomato based.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> I can't find clams anywhere, not fresh, not canned, not frozen
>>>
>>> I can only find Mussels, Prawns, Squid and Scallops.
>>>
>>> Would you use any of those?

>> I'm sorry that you can't find them, but ( even though I have never used
>> them in chowder) I would use mussels, scallops, etc. It would just be
>> seafood chowder and very tasty I'm sure.

> Using the same recipe you shared?

I think it would be good, but don't know for sure.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> I'm sorry that you can't find them, but ( even though I have never used
>>> them in chowder) I would use mussels, scallops, etc. It would just be
>>> seafood chowder and very tasty I'm sure.

>> Using the same recipe you shared?

> I think it would be good, but don't know for sure.

Ok thanks

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 10:15:11 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> I can't find clams anywhere, not fresh, not canned, not frozen
>>
>> I can only find Mussels, Prawns, Squid and Scallops.
>>
>> Would you use any of those?

> I certainly would and I have You can use mussels in anything you
> would use clams in. They are slightly sweeter tasting and not in a
> bad way. Never tried them in a cream based chowder, but they would
> certainly work in Manhattan style chowder which is tomato based.

Thanks, I'll have a look.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 12:22:25 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 10:15:11 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:
> >

> >>I can't find clams anywhere, not fresh, not canned, not frozen
> >>
> >>I can only find Mussels, Prawns, Squid and Scallops.
> >>
> >>Would you use any of those?

> > Scallops would make a nice chowder, but I have never done so, too
> > expensive. They are nice just whisked through some hot butter, do not
> > overcook. I have had chowder made with mussels and though I love
> > mussels, didn't care for them in chowder form.

> Thanks.

Are you looking for recipes for all of them? Combined, they are good
in Frutti di Mare - which is a light, chunky tomato sauce with pasta.
http://www.bellalimento.com/2010/04/...food-linguine/

You can always use the ubiquitous white wine, lemon juice, butter
combo for mussels, prawns or scallops.

My favorite way to eat calamari is lightly battered and quickly fried
tempura style, which is always a restaurant order for me. My second
most favorite way to eat them is in a Frutti di Mare as mentioned
above... the Frutti di Mare I order at a favorite Italian restaurant
usually consists of mussels and calamari - sometimes also with chunks
of a mild flavored fish (like cod).

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> Are you looking for recipes for all of them? Combined, they are good
> in Frutti di Mare - which is a light, chunky tomato sauce with pasta.
> http://www.bellalimento.com/2010/04/...food-linguine/

Not really, I was looking at the clam chowder.

I am not new to using shellfish, just not the chowder.

> You can always use the ubiquitous white wine, lemon juice, butter
> combo for mussels, prawns or scallops.
>
> My favorite way to eat calamari is lightly battered and quickly fried
> tempura style, which is always a restaurant order for me.

I used to make those but haven't for ages. Time to make them again I think.

My second
> most favorite way to eat them is in a Frutti di Mare as mentioned
> above... the Frutti di Mare I order at a favorite Italian restaurant
> usually consists of mussels and calamari - sometimes also with chunks
> of a mild flavored fish (like cod).

Thanks, yes. I know how to use them but the clam chowder was new to me.

I have a mix of those shellfish I mentioned and now I have them earmarked
with some salmon and white fish to make a fish pie.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 23:22:09 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> Thanks, yes. I know how to use them but the clam chowder was new to me.
>
> I have a mix of those shellfish I mentioned and now I have them earmarked
> with some salmon and white fish to make a fish pie.

Have you ever made oyster stew?
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Soup/OysterStew.htm

Clam chowder is similar. It's a little thicker with potatoes and
celery (opt) in it.

http://norecipes.com/recipe/new-england-clam-chowder/
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...er-recipe.html
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/new...d-clam-chowder

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room

ping cheri [email protected] General Cooking 1 19-04-2017 04:39 AM
ping Cheri Ophelia[_11_] General Cooking 6 24-07-2014 06:35 PM
Ping Cheri Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 15 09-12-2013 05:16 AM
Ping Cheri: artichokes Todd Diabetic 3 01-07-2013 08:27 PM
PING Cheri Nick Cramer Diabetic 7 18-05-2009 02:03 AM