Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lamb Stew

I am looking for ideas for Lamb stew from cooked lamb.

Not looking for extravagant, just basics where the shine of a few good
foods comes through.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 14:36:44 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>I am looking for ideas for Lamb stew from cooked lamb.
>
>Not looking for extravagant, just basics where the shine of a few good
>foods comes through.
>
> Carol

Any interest in a curry?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 14:36:44 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>

> > I am looking for ideas for Lamb stew from cooked lamb.
> >
> > Not looking for extravagant, just basics where the shine of a few
> > good foods comes through.
> >
> > Carol

> Any interest in a curry?

Sure, but more interested in an actual recipe!

I have many curry samples and something outside that would suit better
but I won't look sidewise at a gift of a try this recipe!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 16:40:05 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 14:36:44 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>>

>> > I am looking for ideas for Lamb stew from cooked lamb.
>> >
>> > Not looking for extravagant, just basics where the shine of a few
>> > good foods comes through.
>> >
>> > Carol

>> Any interest in a curry?

>Sure, but more interested in an actual recipe!
>
>I have many curry samples and something outside that would suit better
>but I won't look sidewise at a gift of a try this recipe!

Lamb curry around here is Musgovian, I'm afraid. Usually the lamb, a
good curry powder, some broth, leftover peas & carrots, cauliflower or
roasted potatoes, raisins/currants, some yogurt stirred in at the end'
when all the rest is heated through.. Served over pilaf, with orange
peel and almonds...sometimes the raisins/currants wind up in the
pilaf, instead.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-01-19 15:36, cshenk wrote:

> I am looking for ideas for Lamb stew from cooked lamb.
>
> Not looking for extravagant, just basics where the shine of a few good
> foods comes through.

I usually make a curry sauce. Sautee some onion, garlic, throw in some
hot curry powder, some chicken broth and toss in chopped cooked lamb.
Let it simmer for a while. Thicken the juice if you want.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 14:36:44 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

> I am looking for ideas for Lamb stew from cooked lamb.
>
> Not looking for extravagant, just basics where the shine of a few good
> foods comes through.

I have about 2 cups of lamb broth (made stock with lamb bones) and an
equal amount of chicken stock. Do you have any ideas for that? The
only thing I can think of is Scotch Broth, which will require buying
more meat.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "cshenk" wrote:

> > This lamb was cooked soft, almost pot roast and definately fork tender.
> > A srt of meatpie might be a good mix.

Why not use at least some of it to make a Shepherd's Pie? Don't know
about you but I love that dish. I've made it twice in the last month.
Add some chunky applesauce on the side and some fresh buttered bread
and it's a feast.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-01-20 4:59 PM, Gary wrote:

> Why not use at least some of it to make a Shepherd's Pie? Don't know
> about you but I love that dish. I've made it twice in the last month.
> Add some chunky applesauce on the side and some fresh buttered bread
> and it's a feast.

Well dang. There is a thought. My father's side of the family is
English, his parents being born in England. Shepherd's pie was always
made with beef. We had a boneless leg of lamb on Sunday and tonight I
made a curry for it. I guess this would have been an opportunity for me
to try it with lamb.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 16:40:05 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Boron Elgar wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >> Any interest in a curry?

> > Sure, but more interested in an actual recipe!
> >
> > I have many curry samples and something outside that would suit
> > better but I won't look sidewise at a gift of a try this recipe!

> Lamb curry around here is Musgovian, I'm afraid. Usually the lamb, a
> good curry powder, some broth, leftover peas & carrots, cauliflower or
> roasted potatoes, raisins/currants, some yogurt stirred in at the end'
> when all the rest is heated through.. Served over pilaf, with orange
> peel and almonds...sometimes the raisins/currants wind up in the
> pilaf, instead.

> Boron

Ok, that gives the basics of the idea and i can follow it. I'd go more
the raisin pilaf since i'm not that fond of almonds.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > "cshenk" wrote:

> > > This lamb was cooked soft, almost pot roast and definately fork
> > > tender. A srt of meatpie might be a good mix.

> Why not use at least some of it to make a Shepherd's Pie? Don't know
> about you but I love that dish. I've made it twice in the last month.
> Add some chunky applesauce on the side and some fresh buttered bread
> and it's a feast.
>
> G.

LOL! Yes, have that in mind as well! I gather it is a fairly
traditional reuse of lamb.

Most of the time I cook lamb with few leftovers (just a lunch or 2) but
this time had to make extra so it wouldnt go bad on me (freezerburn
potential if not cooked then).

I saw a nice looking Shepards pie that used turnips in modeation along
with chopped brussells sprouts. I liked the look of it. It was about:

1 part lamb
1/2 part turnip
1/2 part brussells sprouts
1/2 part carrot (chop fine or shred)
1/2 part potatoes chopped small
1/4 part onion

Then you poured the gravy over (can thicken the broth with cornstarch
for that) and a top layer of pastry was added.

Good ideas there! Looking obviously for ideas of things 'new to my
normal cookery'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 14:36:44 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>

> > I am looking for ideas for Lamb stew from cooked lamb.
> >
> > Not looking for extravagant, just basics where the shine of a few
> > good foods comes through.
> >

> I have about 2 cups of lamb broth (made stock with lamb bones) and an
> equal amount of chicken stock. Do you have any ideas for that? The
> only thing I can think of is Scotch Broth, which will require buying
> more meat.

Yes! If the broth isnt clear and that doesn't matter to you, consider
a Pho like dish. Take about 1/2-3/4 cup cooked udon (Fatter noodles,
you can get them dried or in shelf stable packets and the ethnic
section). Add some cross cut greens of your liking. My suggestion
would be spinach leaves, mustard greens.

You can actually mix the broths but I am looking at 2 cups straight
lamb for this (had it last night in fact). Because the broth I made
was already redolent with garlic and black pepper plus a gentle hand
with balsalmic vinegar, it had a lot of flavor already and needed
little else. I used what we had on hand which was dried udon (you can
use spagetti or linguini if that is handy), mustard greens (about 1/2
packed solid cup) and a baby bok choy (last one, cut up).

This was so rich, that Charlotte and I both had a cup and were full so
the remainder went with me to be a work lunch (about 3/4 cup is my
guess).

If your lamb broth had a deep flavor, give that a try and you can
always thin it later with some chicken broth if it's a bit much.

If that doesnt appeal but it's a good deep broth, separate out about a
cup of the lamb broth and fork iin come cornstarch, adding more slowly
as you heat it. It will already have the fat level needed for a gravy
even 'defatted'. Cook slowly as it thickens then use on rice or in a
meat pot-pie (the meat can be beef or pork just fine).

I can flesh that one out for you better but it's not something i do all
that often so I have to look up my recipe (grin, face it, I'm a sorta
Asian related cookery person on many things).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 17:55:08 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2015-01-20 4:59 PM, Gary wrote:
> >
> > Why not use at least some of it to make a Shepherd's Pie? Don't know
> > about you but I love that dish. I've made it twice in the last month.
> > Add some chunky applesauce on the side and some fresh buttered bread
> > and it's a feast.
> >

> Well dang. There is a thought. My father's side of the family is
> English, his parents being born in England. Shepherd's pie was always
> made with beef. We had a boneless leg of lamb on Sunday and tonight I
> made a curry for it. I guess this would have been an opportunity for me
> to try it with lamb.

The applesauce is what seemed odd to me. Ham, pork yes. Lamb?

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room

Lamb stew curry cshenk General Cooking 4 28-02-2015 11:11 PM
REC: Guinness Lamb Stew Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 5 18-03-2009 02:52 PM
Lamb stew [email protected] Asian Cooking 4 27-01-2009 01:55 AM
Bought some lamb meat (stew) but i don't want to make stew amandaF General Cooking 6 01-09-2008 03:27 AM
Lamb stew, finished OmManiPadmeOmelet General Cooking 9 01-02-2006 04:21 AM