Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default cool whip

Has anyone ever made a Cool Whip substitute (using whipping cream,
gelatin and cream of tartar) to mix in with more than just fruit and
did it work?

I found a recipe that calls for it to be mixed in with cream cheese
and then frozen, so standing up to freezing is my goal.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 6:42:36 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> Has anyone ever made a Cool Whip substitute (using whipping cream,
> gelatin and cream of tartar) to mix in with more than just fruit and
> did it work?
>
> I found a recipe that calls for it to be mixed in with cream cheese
> and then frozen, so standing up to freezing is my goal.

Cool Whip is a whipped cream substitute. Whipped cream is not a Cool Whip
substitute. Why would adding a little gelatin to whipped cream make it a
substitute for garbage that only truly trashy folks would even consider
eating?

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2015 6:42 PM, sf wrote:

> Has anyone ever made a Cool Whip substitute (using whipping cream,
> gelatin and cream of tartar) to mix in with more than just fruit and
> did it work?
>
> I found a recipe that calls for it to be mixed in with cream cheese
> and then frozen, so standing up to freezing is my goal.

I think you'd need a chemistry lab to replicate Cool Whip :-)

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2015 3:17 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 6:42:36 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
>> Has anyone ever made a Cool Whip substitute (using whipping cream,
>> gelatin and cream of tartar) to mix in with more than just fruit and
>> did it work?
>>
>> I found a recipe that calls for it to be mixed in with cream cheese
>> and then frozen, so standing up to freezing is my goal.
>>

> Cool Whip is a whipped cream substitute. Whipped cream is not a Cool Whip
> substitute. Why would adding a little gelatin to whipped cream make it a
> substitute for garbage that only truly trashy folks would even consider
> eating?
>
> --Bryan

Nobody wants to make fake Cool Whip. She's looking for stabilized
whipped cream - this is a good thing.

http://www.food.com/recipe/wilton-st...ed-cream-79506

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 17:17:44 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

> On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 6:42:36 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> > Has anyone ever made a Cool Whip substitute (using whipping cream,
> > gelatin and cream of tartar) to mix in with more than just fruit and
> > did it work?
> >
> > I found a recipe that calls for it to be mixed in with cream cheese
> > and then frozen, so standing up to freezing is my goal.
> >

> Cool Whip is a whipped cream substitute. Whipped cream is not a Cool Whip
> substitute. Why would adding a little gelatin to whipped cream make it a
> substitute for garbage that only truly trashy folks would even consider
> eating?

I don't think whipped cream will have enough body to mix with cream
cheese and then stand up to freezing.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2015 8:17 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 6:42:36 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
>> Has anyone ever made a Cool Whip substitute (using whipping cream,
>> gelatin and cream of tartar) to mix in with more than just fruit and
>> did it work?
>>
>> I found a recipe that calls for it to be mixed in with cream cheese
>> and then frozen, so standing up to freezing is my goal.
>>

> Cool Whip is a whipped cream substitute. Whipped cream is not a Cool Whip
> substitute. Why would adding a little gelatin to whipped cream make it a
> substitute for garbage that only truly trashy folks would even consider
> eating?
>
> --Bryan

Rather than take her to task I congratulate sf for making a real whipped
cream concoction to eliminate the Cool Whip. She has a dish in mind
that needs a cream based substance with a thick texture.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 19:50:51 -0600, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> On 1/16/2015 6:42 PM, sf wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone ever made a Cool Whip substitute (using whipping cream,
> > gelatin and cream of tartar) to mix in with more than just fruit and
> > did it work?
> >
> > I found a recipe that calls for it to be mixed in with cream cheese
> > and then frozen, so standing up to freezing is my goal.
> >

> I think you'd need a chemistry lab to replicate Cool Whip :-)

You're probably right. I don't know why the cream of tartar there. I
have no idea what it's supposed to do to or with the cream and
gelatin. If the recipe I saw that used whipped egg whites called for
cream of tartar too, I wouldn't have been surprised - but it didn't.
<sigh>

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> Has anyone ever made a Cool Whip substitute (using whipping cream,
> gelatin and cream of tartar) to mix in with more than just fruit and
> did it work?
>
> I found a recipe that calls for it to be mixed in with cream cheese
> and then frozen, so standing up to freezing is my goal.
>
> --

I haven't made it, but you can get good ideas by searching

"stabilized whipped cream with cream cheese"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2015 9:52 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/16/2015 8:17 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
>> On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 6:42:36 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
>>> Has anyone ever made a Cool Whip substitute (using whipping cream,
>>> gelatin and cream of tartar) to mix in with more than just fruit and
>>> did it work?
>>>
>>> I found a recipe that calls for it to be mixed in with cream cheese
>>> and then frozen, so standing up to freezing is my goal.
>>>

>> Cool Whip is a whipped cream substitute. Whipped cream is not a Cool
>> Whip
>> substitute. Why would adding a little gelatin to whipped cream make it a
>> substitute for garbage that only truly trashy folks would even consider
>> eating?
>>
>> --Bryan
>>

> Rather than take her to task I congratulate sf for making a real whipped
> cream concoction to eliminate the Cool Whip. She has a dish in mind
> that needs a cream based substance with a thick texture.

She also wants something that will stand up to the addition of cream
cheese and freezing. Sorry, no suggestions for a substitution.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 19:00:59 -0800, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> >
> > Has anyone ever made a Cool Whip substitute (using whipping cream,
> > gelatin and cream of tartar) to mix in with more than just fruit and
> > did it work?
> >
> > I found a recipe that calls for it to be mixed in with cream cheese
> > and then frozen, so standing up to freezing is my goal.
> >
> > --

> I haven't made it, but you can get good ideas by searching
>
> "stabilized whipped cream with cream cheese"

Great search word suggestion, thanks.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 7:17:47 PM UTC-6, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 6:42:36 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> > Has anyone ever made a Cool Whip substitute (using whipping cream,
> > gelatin and cream of tartar) to mix in with more than just fruit and
> > did it work?
> >
> > I found a recipe that calls for it to be mixed in with cream cheese
> > and then frozen, so standing up to freezing is my goal.
> >

> Cool Whip is a whipped cream substitute. Whipped cream is not a Cool Whip
> substitute. Why would adding a little gelatin to whipped cream make it a
> substitute for garbage that only truly trashy folks would even consider
> eating?

Once again, your focus is limited. I believe she is asking how to stabilize, no one cares about your early trailer trash years. BTW, did they "publish" your little idiotic oeuvere?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 19:00:59 -0800, "Pico Rico"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > Has anyone ever made a Cool Whip substitute (using whipping cream,
>> > gelatin and cream of tartar) to mix in with more than just fruit and
>> > did it work?
>> >
>> > I found a recipe that calls for it to be mixed in with cream cheese
>> > and then frozen, so standing up to freezing is my goal.
>> >
>> > --

>> I haven't made it, but you can get good ideas by searching
>>
>> "stabilized whipped cream with cream cheese"
>>

> Great search word suggestion, thanks.

I, and it sounds like some others, would be interested in hearing the
results of your efforts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>Bwrrryan wrote:
>>sf wrote:
>>> Has anyone ever made a Cool Whip substitute (using whipping cream,
>>> gelatin and cream of tartar) to mix in with more than just fruit and
>>> did it work?
>>>
>>> I found a recipe that calls for it to be mixed in with cream cheese
>>> and then frozen, so standing up to freezing is my goal.
>>>

>> Cool Whip is a whipped cream substitute. Whipped cream is not a Cool Whip
>> substitute. Why would adding a little gelatin to whipped cream make it a
>> substitute for garbage that only truly trashy folks would even consider
>> eating?
>> --Bwrrryan

>Rather than take her to task I congratulate sf for making a real whipped
>cream concoction to eliminate the Cool Whip. She has a dish in mind
>that needs a cream based substance with a thick texture.

Adding cream of tartar and gelatin to whipped cream are in the bag of
tricks professional cake finishers use to make whipped cream easier to
use and hold up longer... all bakeries use these tricks, that's how
their decorated cakes can hold up so long in their display fridge and
not weep/collapse, and enables piping rosettes and such. This does
not make a Cool Whip substitute, it's real whipped cream, no less real
than when adding flavoring, coloring, and powdered sugar. Cool Whip is
NOT whipped cream, it contains no dairy.
http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index..../Frostings.cfm
Click on the pictures for explanations:
http://search.kingarthurflour.com/ba...d-Cream-Recipe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Has anyone ever made a Cool Whip substitute (using whipping cream,
> gelatin and cream of tartar) to mix in with more than just fruit and
> did it work?
>
> I found a recipe that calls for it to be mixed in with cream cheese
> and then frozen, so standing up to freezing is my goal.

I haven't done it in years but yes. I do not recall addint Cream of
Tartar to it. I do recall I used my Mom's old stand mixer and used a
flavored gelatin (lemon). I recall the tricky part was my brother and i
pulling the bowl out from the stand to use Mom's sifter for the
powdered sugar so we got it in evenly. Seemed to take forever but I
was 12 and my brother was 13.

LOL, Mom was so mad as she'd gotten the cream for her coffee I think
and we used it all up.

It worked well to top a white cakemix from a box and i recall we mixed
cream cheese with strawberry preserves for the center then dotted more
of that in smiley faces and such on the top after using the home made
stuff for icing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2015 1:01 PM, cshenk wrote:
> sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> Has anyone ever made a Cool Whip substitute (using whipping cream,
>> gelatin and cream of tartar) to mix in with more than just fruit and
>> did it work?
>>
>> I found a recipe that calls for it to be mixed in with cream cheese
>> and then frozen, so standing up to freezing is my goal.

> I haven't done it in years but yes. I do not recall addint Cream of
> Tartar to it. I do recall I used my Mom's old stand mixer and used a
> flavored gelatin (lemon). I recall the tricky part was my brother and i
> pulling the bowl out from the stand to use Mom's sifter for the
> powdered sugar so we got it in evenly. Seemed to take forever but I
> was 12 and my brother was 13.
>
> LOL, Mom was so mad as she'd gotten the cream for her coffee I think
> and we used it all up.
>
> It worked well to top a white cakemix from a box and i recall we mixed
> cream cheese with strawberry preserves for the center then dotted more
> of that in smiley faces and such on the top after using the home made
> stuff for icing.

When I was a kid we used Carnation non-fat dry milk. The dry milk box
always had a recipe for a whipped topping on it, that I used to make. I
can't find the "official" Carnation recipe on the net, but it was
essentially this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4511346_topp...lk-powder.html

I liked it a lot, and it was certainly cheap and easy to make, but it
was by no means as good as real whipped cream.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 12:01:56 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

> sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

> > Has anyone ever made a Cool Whip substitute (using whipping cream,
> > gelatin and cream of tartar) to mix in with more than just fruit and
> > did it work?
> >
> > I found a recipe that calls for it to be mixed in with cream cheese
> > and then frozen, so standing up to freezing is my goal.

> I haven't done it in years but yes. I do not recall addint Cream of
> Tartar to it. I do recall I used my Mom's old stand mixer and used a
> flavored gelatin (lemon). I recall the tricky part was my brother and i
> pulling the bowl out from the stand to use Mom's sifter for the
> powdered sugar so we got it in evenly. Seemed to take forever but I
> was 12 and my brother was 13.
>
> LOL, Mom was so mad as she'd gotten the cream for her coffee I think
> and we used it all up.
>
> It worked well to top a white cakemix from a box and i recall we mixed
> cream cheese with strawberry preserves for the center then dotted more
> of that in smiley faces and such on the top after using the home made
> stuff for icing.

Thanks, I wanted the cool whip substitute as an ingredient, not as
frosting and it needs body to work in the recipe
http://afewshortcuts.com/2014/11/gin..._a5y_p=2835118
Creamer isn't an issue: heavy cream and spices, but cool whip is my
problem. I was interested in that recipe because it was frozen.

This recipe is straight forward and doesn't use commercial products as
ingredients
http://www.splendidtable.org/recipes...ecake-truffles
but the problem is those bits of candied ginger will be rocks and the
cream cheese will be too hard to bite. It needs something light and
airy to make the cream cheese edible when frozen.

Cool whip will stand up to the process of being combined with cream
cheese, whipped cream won't.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 7:42:36 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> Has anyone ever made a Cool Whip substitute (using whipping cream,
> gelatin and cream of tartar) to mix in with more than just fruit and
> did it work?
>
> I found a recipe that calls for it to be mixed in with cream cheese
> and then frozen, so standing up to freezing is my goal.

Experiment and report back, please. The little use I have for (something like) whipped cream keeps me from ever buying Cool Whip. Only good thing about it is the container.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 5:24:49 AM UTC-5, Miss Kitty wrote:

> Once again, your focus is limited. I believe she is asking how to stabilize, no one cares about your early trailer trash years. BTW, did they "publish" your little idiotic oeuvere?

What's an oeuvere? Going to use a Big Word - at least spell it right so we can be really impressed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 17:15:05 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

> On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 7:42:36 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> > Has anyone ever made a Cool Whip substitute (using whipping cream,
> > gelatin and cream of tartar) to mix in with more than just fruit and
> > did it work?
> >
> > I found a recipe that calls for it to be mixed in with cream cheese
> > and then frozen, so standing up to freezing is my goal.

> Experiment and report back, please. The little use I have for (something like) whipped cream keeps me from ever buying Cool Whip. Only good thing about it is the container.

I have no desire to experiment, that's why I asked here. I'm only
giving it one shot - maybe.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 17:15:05 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
>> On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 7:42:36 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:
>> > Has anyone ever made a Cool Whip substitute (using whipping cream,
>> > gelatin and cream of tartar) to mix in with more than just fruit and
>> > did it work?
>> >
>> > I found a recipe that calls for it to be mixed in with cream cheese
>> > and then frozen, so standing up to freezing is my goal.

>> Experiment and report back, please. The little use I have for (something
>> like) whipped cream keeps me from ever buying Cool Whip. Only good thing
>> about it is the container.

> I have no desire to experiment, that's why I asked here. I'm only
> giving it one shot - maybe.

that would be an experiment.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 12:57:27 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 12:01:56 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >

> > > Has anyone ever made a Cool Whip substitute (using whipping cream,
> > > gelatin and cream of tartar) to mix in with more than just fruit and
> > > did it work?
> > >
> > > I found a recipe that calls for it to be mixed in with cream cheese
> > > and then frozen, so standing up to freezing is my goal.

> > I haven't done it in years but yes. I do not recall addint Cream of
> > Tartar to it. I do recall I used my Mom's old stand mixer and used a
> > flavored gelatin (lemon). I recall the tricky part was my brother and i
> > pulling the bowl out from the stand to use Mom's sifter for the
> > powdered sugar so we got it in evenly. Seemed to take forever but I
> > was 12 and my brother was 13.
> >
> > LOL, Mom was so mad as she'd gotten the cream for her coffee I think
> > and we used it all up.
> >
> > It worked well to top a white cakemix from a box and i recall we mixed
> > cream cheese with strawberry preserves for the center then dotted more
> > of that in smiley faces and such on the top after using the home made
> > stuff for icing.

> Thanks, I wanted the cool whip substitute as an ingredient, not as
> frosting and it needs body to work in the recipe
> http://afewshortcuts.com/2014/11/gin..._a5y_p=2835118
> Creamer isn't an issue: heavy cream and spices, but cool whip is my
> problem. I was interested in that recipe because it was frozen.

The Short Cut Skank has a secret White trash weapon. It's COFFEE MATE!

I never was a fan of Coffee Mate, though they do claim that this one
tastes like Girl Scouts.
http://media3.onsugar.com/files/2013...-thin-mint.jpg

> This recipe is straight forward and doesn't use commercial products as
> ingredients
> http://www.splendidtable.org/recipes...ecake-truffles
> but the problem is those bits of candied ginger will be rocks and the
> cream cheese will be too hard to bite. It needs something light and
> airy to make the cream cheese edible when frozen.
>
> Cool whip will stand up to the process of being combined with cream
> cheese, whipped cream won't.

Lynne won't be happy that you're White trashing her recipe.

sf: Lynne, meet Short Cut Skank.

sf: Short Cut Skank, this is the lady on the radio.

Lynne fawns over Short Cut Skank, then realizes what a horrible excuse
for a cook she is, and tries to very politely distance herself. It's
all quite awkward.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 07:31:32 -0800, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 17:15:05 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> > > wrote:

> >> Experiment and report back, please. The little use I have for (something
> >> like) whipped cream keeps me from ever buying Cool Whip. Only good thing
> >> about it is the container.

> > I have no desire to experiment, that's why I asked here. I'm only
> > giving it one shot - maybe.
> >

> that would be an experiment.

The first time is following the recipe. An experiment would be when I
start playing with the ingredients as they were stated or varying the
ingredients. What do you know about that? It's obvious you don't
cook. Maybe you used to be a short order cook somewhere, but that's
not cooking. That's churning out the same old boring carbon copy 50
billion times until they change the game plan.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room.

cool whip Jen General Cooking 28 17-01-2015 05:18 PM
Cool Whip Frosting Anna[_2_] General Cooking 81 04-01-2008 04:57 PM
Cool Whip Janet Wilder[_1_] Diabetic 20 23-12-2007 06:49 PM
Cool Whip and Dream whip Jen General Cooking 26 04-08-2005 02:05 PM
Cool Whip Dee Randall Baking 39 19-01-2004 01:00 AM