Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default This is how you should wake up!

Today is my 65th Birthday (and I have the Medicare card to prove it) I
woke up at 6 AM and smelled something baking. Becca had gotten up before
5 AM and made me chocolate éclairs from scratch to have with my coffee.
My first day as an official Geezer is off to a wonderful start! With a
life this good, it will be hard for me to become a Grumpy Old Man!

Yesterday, my step-son and his wife took us out to dinner for the
occasion. We went he
http://www.pappadeaux.com/location/138 One of the best fringe benefits
of marrying Becca was becoming a step-father. I never had children and
my daughter=in-law calls me Dad... and I really like that.

I hope you all have as wonderful a day as I am.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 7:51:39 AM UTC-6, George L wrote:
> Today is my 65th Birthday (and I have the Medicare card to prove it) I
> woke up at 6 AM and smelled something baking. Becca had gotten up before
> 5 AM and made me chocolate éclairs from scratch to have with my coffee.
> My first day as an official Geezer is off to a wonderful start! With a
> life this good, it will be hard for me to become a Grumpy Old Man!
>
> Yesterday, my step-son and his wife took us out to dinner for the
> occasion. We went he
> http://www.pappadeaux.com/location/138 One of the best fringe benefits
> of marrying Becca was becoming a step-father. I never had children and
> my daughter=in-law calls me Dad... and I really like that.
>
> I hope you all have as wonderful a day as I am.
>
> George L

Well Happy Birthday George and welcome to Old Geezerdom, it does have a few benefits which you will learn. Becca and I have been "Buddies" for a long time on the internet. Hopefuly sometime we will all be on a cruise togetther n somtime and can meet .
Mean while enjioy those wonderful choco goodies and your birthday!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 07:51:14 -0600, George Leppla
> wrote:

> Today is my 65th Birthday (and I have the Medicare card to prove it) I
> woke up at 6 AM and smelled something baking. Becca had gotten up before
> 5 AM and made me chocolate éclairs from scratch to have with my coffee.
> My first day as an official Geezer is off to a wonderful start! With a
> life this good, it will be hard for me to become a Grumpy Old Man!
>
> Yesterday, my step-son and his wife took us out to dinner for the
> occasion. We went he
> http://www.pappadeaux.com/location/138 One of the best fringe benefits
> of marrying Becca was becoming a step-father. I never had children and
> my daughter=in-law calls me Dad... and I really like that.
>
> I hope you all have as wonderful a day as I am.

Happy birthday George!

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2015 8:51 AM, George Leppla wrote:
> Today is my 65th Birthday (and I have the Medicare card to prove it) I
> woke up at 6 AM and smelled something baking. Becca had gotten up before
> 5 AM and made me chocolate éclairs from scratch to have with my coffee.
> My first day as an official Geezer is off to a wonderful start! With a
> life this good, it will be hard for me to become a Grumpy Old Man!
>
> Yesterday, my step-son and his wife took us out to dinner for the
> occasion. We went he
> http://www.pappadeaux.com/location/138 One of the best fringe benefits
> of marrying Becca was becoming a step-father. I never had children and
> my daughter=in-law calls me Dad... and I really like that.
>
> I hope you all have as wonderful a day as I am.
>
> George L

Happy Birthday, George! And good job, Becca.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message
> Today is my 65th Birthday (and I have the Medicare card to prove it) I
> woke up at 6 AM and smelled something baking. Becca had gotten up before 5
> AM and made me chocolate éclairs from scratch to have with my coffee. My
> first day as an official Geezer is off to a wonderful start! With a life
> this good, it will be hard for me to become a Grumpy Old Man!
>
> Yesterday, my step-son and his wife took us out to dinner for the
> occasion. We went he
> http://www.pappadeaux.com/location/138 One of the best fringe benefits of
> marrying Becca was becoming a step-father. I never had children and my
> daughter=in-law calls me Dad... and I really like that.
>
> I hope you all have as wonderful a day as I am.
>
> George L

Hey, at your age waking up at all is a good thing!

Happy B'day!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2015 8:20 AM, Pico Rico wrote:

> Hey, at your age waking up at all is a good thing!

Truer than you think. 3 grandparents does in their 50's. Mom was 58,
my father died at 42 (both from cancer). My Grandmother lived to be
63.... I was 12 when she passed. And one brother died at 52.

I am the first in my family to make it to 65. The docs tell me that I
am in good shape, no diabetes, no cancers, no heart problems, BP is
usually in the 120's over 80 and my combined cholesterol is around 136.
All this in spite of the fact that I am a very big man. Or as the
cardiologist told me... "For a big man, you are in remarkably good
health. Now lose some weight."

> Happy B'day!

Thank you!

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/15 8:51 AM, George Leppla wrote:
> Today is my 65th Birthday (and I have the Medicare card to prove it) I
> woke up at 6 AM and smelled something baking. Becca had gotten up before
> 5 AM and made me chocolate éclairs from scratch to have with my coffee....

I've got a few years on you, George, and even now, my wife would rag me
incessantly if I ever had eclairs for breakfast! 8

Happy b-day, and many more. Let there be cake!

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2015 8:52 AM, pltrgyst wrote:
> On 1/11/15 8:51 AM, George Leppla wrote:
>> Today is my 65th Birthday (and I have the Medicare card to prove it) I
>> woke up at 6 AM and smelled something baking. Becca had gotten up before
>> 5 AM and made me chocolate éclairs from scratch to have with my coffee....

> I've got a few years on you, George, and even now, my wife would rag me
> incessantly if I ever had eclairs for breakfast! 8

When my MIL was 84, her sister yelled at her for eating bacon for
breakfast because it was bad for her. Mom replied that at 84, she would
eat anything she wanted to eat and wasn't planning on living forever.
She lived another ten years after that... parsing away in her sleep at 94.

I told her that if I lived to be 84, I would eat bacon dipped in mayo
while smoking a cigar. Only 19 years to go.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2015 10:03 AM, George Leppla wrote:
> On 1/11/2015 8:52 AM, pltrgyst wrote:
>> On 1/11/15 8:51 AM, George Leppla wrote:
>>> Today is my 65th Birthday (and I have the Medicare card to prove it) I
>>> woke up at 6 AM and smelled something baking. Becca had gotten up before
>>> 5 AM and made me chocolate éclairs from scratch to have with my
>>> coffee....

>> I've got a few years on you, George, and even now, my wife would rag me
>> incessantly if I ever had eclairs for breakfast! 8

> When my MIL was 84, her sister yelled at her for eating bacon for
> breakfast because it was bad for her. Mom replied that at 84, she would
> eat anything she wanted to eat and wasn't planning on living forever.
> She lived another ten years after that... parsing away in her sleep at 94.

My mother was only (heh) 82 when she died. After years of being on
low-fat, low-sodium diets (cholesterol and blood pressure problems) she
pretty much told her doctors she'd eat whatever the heck she wanted to.

> I told her that if I lived to be 84, I would eat bacon dipped in mayo
> while smoking a cigar. Only 19 years to go.
>
> George L

LOL Happy B-day, George!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Happy Birthday, George, I turned 65 this week too. My brain still feels 19, though. Hope you have a great day!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote:

> Today is my 65th Birthday (and I have the Medicare card to prove it)

A very happy birthday to you, George! Live much longer and prosper!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote:

> Today is my 65th Birthday (and I have the Medicare card to prove it)

I have an official letter from the White House to prove that I'm age
103.7 now. True!

G. (in real life though, I'm 61.7) Have a great day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2015 10:03 AM, George Leppla wrote:

> She lived another ten years after that... parsing away in her sleep at 94.

Was she an English teacher?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-01-11 10:39 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/11/2015 10:03 AM, George Leppla wrote:
>
>> She lived another ten years after that... parsing away in her sleep at
>> 94.

> Was she an English teacher?

;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2015 7:51 AM, George Leppla wrote:
> Today is my 65th Birthday (and I have the Medicare card to prove it) I
> woke up at 6 AM and smelled something baking. Becca had gotten up before
> 5 AM and made me chocolate éclairs from scratch to have with my coffee.
> My first day as an official Geezer is off to a wonderful start! With a
> life this good, it will be hard for me to become a Grumpy Old Man!
>
> Yesterday, my step-son and his wife took us out to dinner for the
> occasion. We went he
> http://www.pappadeaux.com/location/138 One of the best fringe benefits
> of marrying Becca was becoming a step-father. I never had children and
> my daughter=in-law calls me Dad... and I really like that.
>
> I hope you all have as wonderful a day as I am.
>
> George L

Happy birthday and welcome to geezerhood, George.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2015 9:39 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/11/2015 10:03 AM, George Leppla wrote:
>
>> She lived another ten years after that... parsing away in her sleep at
>> 94.

> Was she an English teacher?

Thanks for the fit of giggles.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 3:51:39 AM UTC-10, George L wrote:
> Today is my 65th Birthday (and I have the Medicare card to prove it) I
> woke up at 6 AM and smelled something baking. Becca had gotten up before
> 5 AM and made me chocolate éclairs from scratch to have with my coffee.
> My first day as an official Geezer is off to a wonderful start! With a
> life this good, it will be hard for me to become a Grumpy Old Man!
>
> Yesterday, my step-son and his wife took us out to dinner for the
> occasion. We went he
> http://www.pappadeaux.com/location/138 One of the best fringe benefits
> of marrying Becca was becoming a step-father. I never had children and
> my daughter=in-law calls me Dad... and I really like that.
>
> I hope you all have as wonderful a day as I am.\

Normally I would, but I have to go to two funerals today. Both at 3 o'clock.. It's a weird coincidence.

> George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 5:51:39 AM UTC-8, George L wrote:
> Today is my 65th Birthday (and I have the Medicare card to prove it) I
> woke up at 6 AM and smelled something baking. Becca had gotten up before
> 5 AM and made me chocolate éclairs from scratch to have with my coffee.
> My first day as an official Geezer is off to a wonderful start! With a
> life this good, it will be hard for me to become a Grumpy Old Man!
>
> Yesterday, my step-son and his wife took us out to dinner for the
> occasion. We went he
> http://www.pappadeaux.com/location/138 One of the best fringe benefits
> of marrying Becca was becoming a step-father. I never had children and
> my daughter=in-law calls me Dad... and I really like that.
>
> I hope you all have as wonderful a day as I am.
>
> George L

Happy Birthday George ! Sounds like yours is going to be pretty special. Happy Geezer Day !

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 07:51:14 -0600, George Leppla
> wrote:

>Today is my 65th Birthday (and I have the Medicare card to prove it) I
>woke up at 6 AM and smelled something baking. Becca had gotten up before
>5 AM and made me chocolate éclairs from scratch to have with my coffee.
>My first day as an official Geezer is off to a wonderful start! With a
>life this good, it will be hard for me to become a Grumpy Old Man!
>
>Yesterday, my step-son and his wife took us out to dinner for the
>occasion. We went he
>http://www.pappadeaux.com/location/138 One of the best fringe benefits
>of marrying Becca was becoming a step-father. I never had children and
>my daughter=in-law calls me Dad... and I really like that.
>
>I hope you all have as wonderful a day as I am.
>
>George L

Wow! Chocolate eclairs is a wonderful surprise. Lucky you! Happy
Birthday
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 8:51:39 AM UTC-5, George L wrote:
> Today is my 65th Birthday (and I have the Medicare card to prove it) I
> woke up at 6 AM and smelled something baking. Becca had gotten up before
> 5 AM and made me chocolate éclairs from scratch to have with my coffee.
> My first day as an official Geezer is off to a wonderful start! With a
> life this good, it will be hard for me to become a Grumpy Old Man!
>
> Yesterday, my step-son and his wife took us out to dinner for the
> occasion. We went he
> http://www.pappadeaux.com/location/138 One of the best fringe benefits
> of marrying Becca was becoming a step-father. I never had children and
> my daughter=in-law calls me Dad... and I really like that.
>
> I hope you all have as wonderful a day as I am.
>
> George L

Old goats aren't so bad - welcome to the bunch. Just don't keep saying "Hehh?" if you don't understand something. Drives me nuts.

Happy 65th.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 12:18:17 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 3:51:39 AM UTC-10, George L wrote:
> > Today is my 65th Birthday (and I have the Medicare card to prove it) I
> > woke up at 6 AM and smelled something baking. Becca had gotten up before
> > 5 AM and made me chocolate éclairs from scratch to have with my coffee.
> > My first day as an official Geezer is off to a wonderful start! With a
> > life this good, it will be hard for me to become a Grumpy Old Man!
> >
> > Yesterday, my step-son and his wife took us out to dinner for the
> > occasion. We went he
> > http://www.pappadeaux.com/location/138 One of the best fringe benefits
> > of marrying Becca was becoming a step-father. I never had children and
> > my daughter=in-law calls me Dad... and I really like that.
> >
> > I hope you all have as wonderful a day as I am.\

> Normally I would, but I have to go to two funerals today. Both at 3 o'clock. It's a weird coincidence.
>

> > George L

How are you going to handle that? I've heard of double weddings, but.....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 8:14:16 AM UTC-10, Kalmia wrote:
> On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 12:18:17 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 3:51:39 AM UTC-10, George L wrote:
> > > Today is my 65th Birthday (and I have the Medicare card to prove it) I
> > > woke up at 6 AM and smelled something baking. Becca had gotten up before
> > > 5 AM and made me chocolate éclairs from scratch to have with my coffee.
> > > My first day as an official Geezer is off to a wonderful start! With a
> > > life this good, it will be hard for me to become a Grumpy Old Man!
> > >
> > > Yesterday, my step-son and his wife took us out to dinner for the
> > > occasion. We went he
> > > http://www.pappadeaux.com/location/138 One of the best fringe benefits
> > > of marrying Becca was becoming a step-father. I never had children and
> > > my daughter=in-law calls me Dad... and I really like that.
> > >
> > > I hope you all have as wonderful a day as I am.\

> > Normally I would, but I have to go to two funerals today. Both at 3 o'clock. It's a weird coincidence.
> >

> > > George L

> How are you going to handle that? I've heard of double weddings, but......

I don't know - both of these people died on Christmas. The best you can say about it is that this is unlikely to happen again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 1:38:42 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 8:14:16 AM UTC-10, Kalmia wrote:

> > > Normally I would, but I have to go to two funerals today. Both at 3 o'clock. It's a weird coincidence.

> > How are you going to handle that? I've heard of double weddings, but......

> I don't know - both of these people died on Christmas. The best you can say about it is that this is unlikely to happen again.

I guess my question was.....will you flip a coin to decide which to attend?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2015 9:48 AM, Kalmia wrote:

> I guess my question was.....will you flip a coin to decide which to attend?

One of them was my auntie so I gotta go to that one. The other was my
son's girlfriend's sister. My son has the harder decision to make. He's
the boyfriend - he has to be by his girlfriend's side. This was the
auntie that taught me how to make shoyu pork in the old school way.

My son's girlfriend's sister was 40 years old, they found her dead on
Christmas. She might have had a heart attack triggered by the flu. Oddly
enough, the CDC tracks the incidence of flu by an increase of heart
attacks. This has us scared straight - we ain't gonna be missing our flu
shots!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 1/11/2015 9:48 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>>
>> I guess my question was.....will you flip a coin to decide which to
>> attend?
>>

> One of them was my auntie so I gotta go to that one. The other was my
> son's girlfriend's sister. My son has the harder decision to make. He's
> the boyfriend - he has to be by his girlfriend's side. This was the auntie
> that taught me how to make shoyu pork in the old school way.
>
> My son's girlfriend's sister was 40 years old, they found her dead on
> Christmas. She might have had a heart attack triggered by the flu. Oddly
> enough, the CDC tracks the incidence of flu by an increase of heart
> attacks. This has us scared straight - we ain't gonna be missing our flu
> shots!

We had our shots, but still got a variation that wasn't covered. Having
said that, think of the other ones we might have got ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> My mother was only (heh) 82 when she died. After years of being on
> low-fat, low-sodium diets (cholesterol and blood pressure problems) she
> pretty much told her doctors she'd eat whatever the heck she wanted to.

Darnit, I always forget my mom's age. She's either 82 or 83 and my dad
is now 86.

Their doctor has put them both on minimum rations the past few years.
What they eat really upsets me and I know they are not happy about it
either. I've told my mom many times...you both are getting older, at
least enjoy your meals. It does no good to suffer in your last years
just to live a bit longer (in misery).

I've always believed in quality of life vs quantity of life. I want
my last years to be good ones and not crappy ones just to live on a
few more months or years.

Anyway, their doctor prescribed diet is pathetic. I want them to live
forever, but not that way. They don't do anything but stay home, watch
tv and eat. At least let their last meals be tasty ones and filling.
I want their final years to be happy ones, not longer extended bad
ones.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> My mother was only (heh) 82 when she died. After years of being on
>> low-fat, low-sodium diets (cholesterol and blood pressure problems) she
>> pretty much told her doctors she'd eat whatever the heck she wanted to.
>>

> Darnit, I always forget my mom's age. She's either 82 or 83 and my dad
> is now 86.
>
> Their doctor has put them both on minimum rations the past few years.
> What they eat really upsets me and I know they are not happy about it
> either. I've told my mom many times...you both are getting older, at
> least enjoy your meals. It does no good to suffer in your last years
> just to live a bit longer (in misery).
>
> I've always believed in quality of life vs quantity of life. I want
> my last years to be good ones and not crappy ones just to live on a
> few more months or years.
>
> Anyway, their doctor prescribed diet is pathetic. I want them to live
> forever, but not that way. They don't do anything but stay home, watch
> tv and eat. At least let their last meals be tasty ones and filling.
> I want their final years to be happy ones, not longer extended bad
> ones.

I tend to agree with you.

What is the doc having them eat? And not eat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 12, 2015 at 9:23:21 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > My mother was only (heh) 82 when she died. After years of being on
> > low-fat, low-sodium diets (cholesterol and blood pressure problems) she
> > pretty much told her doctors she'd eat whatever the heck she wanted to.

> Darnit, I always forget my mom's age. She's either 82 or 83 and my dad
> is now 86.
>
> Their doctor has put them both on minimum rations the past few years.
> What they eat really upsets me and I know they are not happy about it
> either. I've told my mom many times...you both are getting older, at
> least enjoy your meals. It does no good to suffer in your last years
> just to live a bit longer (in misery).
>
> I've always believed in quality of life vs quantity of life. I want
> my last years to be good ones and not crappy ones just to live on a
> few more months or years.
>
> Anyway, their doctor prescribed diet is pathetic. I want them to live
> forever, but not that way. They don't do anything but stay home, watch
> tv and eat. At least let their last meals be tasty ones and filling.
> I want their final years to be happy ones, not longer extended bad
> ones.

You're right - another year on the stone won't matter a bit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2015 2:54 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On 1/11/2015 9:48 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>>>
>>> I guess my question was.....will you flip a coin to decide which to
>>> attend?
>>>

>> One of them was my auntie so I gotta go to that one. The other was my
>> son's girlfriend's sister. My son has the harder decision to make.
>> He's the boyfriend - he has to be by his girlfriend's side. This was
>> the auntie that taught me how to make shoyu pork in the old school way.
>>
>> My son's girlfriend's sister was 40 years old, they found her dead on
>> Christmas. She might have had a heart attack triggered by the flu.
>> Oddly enough, the CDC tracks the incidence of flu by an increase of
>> heart attacks. This has us scared straight - we ain't gonna be missing
>> our flu shots!

> We had our shots, but still got a variation that wasn't covered. Having
> said that, think of the other ones we might have got ...

My wife is getting a series of shots for hepatitis B. She had been
vaccinated 20 or so years ago. People were told back then that they
would be protected for life but when she and he co-workers were tested
they had zero antibodies. It was a very unexpected thing. Workers in the
medical field may want to have their titers checked.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 07:02:17 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

> On Monday, January 12, 2015 at 9:23:21 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> > >
> > > My mother was only (heh) 82 when she died. After years of being on
> > > low-fat, low-sodium diets (cholesterol and blood pressure problems) she
> > > pretty much told her doctors she'd eat whatever the heck she wanted to.

> > Darnit, I always forget my mom's age. She's either 82 or 83 and my dad
> > is now 86.
> >
> > Their doctor has put them both on minimum rations the past few years.
> > What they eat really upsets me and I know they are not happy about it
> > either. I've told my mom many times...you both are getting older, at
> > least enjoy your meals. It does no good to suffer in your last years
> > just to live a bit longer (in misery).
> >
> > I've always believed in quality of life vs quantity of life. I want
> > my last years to be good ones and not crappy ones just to live on a
> > few more months or years.
> >
> > Anyway, their doctor prescribed diet is pathetic. I want them to live
> > forever, but not that way. They don't do anything but stay home, watch
> > tv and eat. At least let their last meals be tasty ones and filling.
> > I want their final years to be happy ones, not longer extended bad
> > ones.

> You're right - another year on the stone won't matter a bit.

My husband's oldest sister is in her mid-80's and her husband is a
year or two older. I know she doesn't want to cook anymore and they
eat very little anyway. So when SIL does cook, she portions it out
into little microwavable containers and reheats them for meals. I
don't know how near or far Gary is from his parents, but maybe he
could turn some of his weekend cooking into freezer meals for them.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 07:56:40 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> My wife is getting a series of shots for hepatitis B. She had been
> vaccinated 20 or so years ago. People were told back then that they
> would be protected for life but when she and he co-workers were tested
> they had zero antibodies. It was a very unexpected thing. Workers in the
> medical field may want to have their titers checked.

Whoa! That's good to know.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 1/11/2015 2:54 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> One of them was my auntie so I gotta go to that one. The other was my
>>> son's girlfriend's sister. My son has the harder decision to make.
>>> He's the boyfriend - he has to be by his girlfriend's side. This was
>>> the auntie that taught me how to make shoyu pork in the old school way.
>>>
>>> My son's girlfriend's sister was 40 years old, they found her dead on
>>> Christmas. She might have had a heart attack triggered by the flu.
>>> Oddly enough, the CDC tracks the incidence of flu by an increase of
>>> heart attacks. This has us scared straight - we ain't gonna be missing
>>> our flu shots!

>> We had our shots, but still got a variation that wasn't covered. Having
>> said that, think of the other ones we might have got ...
>>

> My wife is getting a series of shots for hepatitis B. She had been
> vaccinated 20 or so years ago. People were told back then that they would
> be protected for life but when she and he co-workers were tested they had
> zero antibodies. It was a very unexpected thing. Workers in the medical
> field may want to have their titers checked.

I hope she has what she needs now???

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2015 11:18 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 3:51:39 AM UTC-10, George L wrote:
>> Today is my 65th Birthday (and I have the Medicare card to prove it) I
>> woke up at 6 AM and smelled something baking. Becca had gotten up before
>> 5 AM and made me chocolate éclairs from scratch to have with my coffee.
>> My first day as an official Geezer is off to a wonderful start! With a
>> life this good, it will be hard for me to become a Grumpy Old Man!
>>
>> Yesterday, my step-son and his wife took us out to dinner for the
>> occasion. We went he
>> http://www.pappadeaux.com/location/138 One of the best fringe benefits
>> of marrying Becca was becoming a step-father. I never had children and
>> my daughter=in-law calls me Dad... and I really like that.
>>
>> I hope you all have as wonderful a day as I am.\

> Normally I would, but I have to go to two funerals today. Both at 3 o'clock. It's a weird coincidence.

Saying goodbye is always hard.

When I was a toddler, my father hired a man named John, and my mother
and John's wife became friends. Like my dad, John worked for a few
months at a time without being able to come home, he worked in Africa
and Venezuela, mostly. John and his wife had two daughters and our
families were close. John came to my mom's funeral last year, and
sadly, last week, we went to John's funeral, he was the last surviving
member of our four parents. This closed a chapter in a good book.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2015 11:56 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 1/11/2015 2:54 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> One of them was my auntie so I gotta go to that one. The other was my
>>> son's girlfriend's sister. My son has the harder decision to make.
>>> He's the boyfriend - he has to be by his girlfriend's side. This was
>>> the auntie that taught me how to make shoyu pork in the old school way.
>>>
>>> My son's girlfriend's sister was 40 years old, they found her dead on
>>> Christmas. She might have had a heart attack triggered by the flu.
>>> Oddly enough, the CDC tracks the incidence of flu by an increase of
>>> heart attacks. This has us scared straight - we ain't gonna be missing
>>> our flu shots!

>> We had our shots, but still got a variation that wasn't covered. Having
>> said that, think of the other ones we might have got ...
>>

> My wife is getting a series of shots for hepatitis B. She had been
> vaccinated 20 or so years ago. People were told back then that they
> would be protected for life but when she and he co-workers were tested
> they had zero antibodies. It was a very unexpected thing. Workers in the
> medical field may want to have their titers checked.

My biggest fear, before I retired from doing electrolysis, was catching
hepatitis. I am glad she was tested and she is getting the shots for hep B.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2015 10:03 AM, wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 07:56:40 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:

>>> We had our shots, but still got a variation that wasn't covered. Having
>>> said that, think of the other ones we might have got ...
>>>

>> My wife is getting a series of shots for hepatitis B. She had been
>> vaccinated 20 or so years ago. People were told back then that they
>> would be protected for life but when she and he co-workers were tested
>> they had zero antibodies. It was a very unexpected thing. Workers in the
>> medical field may want to have their titers checked.

> Yes my doc told me that last year and I had the booster before I went
> to Cuba.

Cuba? Cool! My wife has to take a 3 shot course over a 6 month period. I
had a flu shot today. I'm getting all the shots I can get!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2015 10:57 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 07:56:40 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> My wife is getting a series of shots for hepatitis B. She had been
>> vaccinated 20 or so years ago. People were told back then that they
>> would be protected for life but when she and he co-workers were tested
>> they had zero antibodies. It was a very unexpected thing. Workers in the
>> medical field may want to have their titers checked.

> Whoa! That's good to know.

Well hopefully, the CDC has gotten wind of this.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2015 10:58 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> We had our shots, but still got a variation that wasn't covered. Having
>>> said that, think of the other ones we might have got ...
>>>

>> My wife is getting a series of shots for hepatitis B. She had been
>> vaccinated 20 or so years ago. People were told back then that they would
>> be protected for life but when she and he co-workers were tested they had
>> zero antibodies. It was a very unexpected thing. Workers in the medical
>> field may want to have their titers checked.

> I hope she has what she needs now???

She's in the process and has gotten 2 shots so far. She gets the last
one in May. Thanks for the concern.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/13/2015 2:07 AM, Becca EmaNymton wrote:
> On 1/11/2015 11:18 AM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 3:51:39 AM UTC-10, George L wrote:
>>> Today is my 65th Birthday (and I have the Medicare card to prove it) I
>>> woke up at 6 AM and smelled something baking. Becca had gotten up before
>>> 5 AM and made me chocolate éclairs from scratch to have with my coffee.
>>> My first day as an official Geezer is off to a wonderful start! With a
>>> life this good, it will be hard for me to become a Grumpy Old Man!
>>>
>>> Yesterday, my step-son and his wife took us out to dinner for the
>>> occasion. We went he
>>> http://www.pappadeaux.com/location/138 One of the best fringe benefits
>>> of marrying Becca was becoming a step-father. I never had children and
>>> my daughter=in-law calls me Dad... and I really like that.
>>>
>>> I hope you all have as wonderful a day as I am.\

>> Normally I would, but I have to go to two funerals today. Both at 3
>> o'clock. It's a weird coincidence.

> Saying goodbye is always hard.
>
> When I was a toddler, my father hired a man named John, and my mother
> and John's wife became friends. Like my dad, John worked for a few
> months at a time without being able to come home, he worked in Africa
> and Venezuela, mostly. John and his wife had two daughters and our
> families were close. John came to my mom's funeral last year, and
> sadly, last week, we went to John's funeral, he was the last surviving
> member of our four parents. This closed a chapter in a good book.
>
> Becca

Sounds like they lived a good life. That's something to be thankful for.
Living a life of no regrets would be the best we could ever hope to
achieve. Take care.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/13/2015 8:31 AM, Becca EmaNymton wrote:
> On 1/12/2015 11:56 AM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> We had our shots, but still got a variation that wasn't covered. Having
>>> said that, think of the other ones we might have got ...
>>>

>> My wife is getting a series of shots for hepatitis B. She had been
>> vaccinated 20 or so years ago. People were told back then that they
>> would be protected for life but when she and he co-workers were tested
>> they had zero antibodies. It was a very unexpected thing. Workers in the
>> medical field may want to have their titers checked.

> My biggest fear, before I retired from doing electrolysis, was catching
> hepatitis. I am glad she was tested and she is getting the shots for hep B.
>
> Becca

I'm glad too. This better mean that I'm getting some protection too! :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 1/12/2015 10:03 AM, wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 07:56:40 -1000, dsi1
>> > wrote:

>>> My wife is getting a series of shots for hepatitis B. She had been
>>> vaccinated 20 or so years ago. People were told back then that they
>>> would be protected for life but when she and he co-workers were tested
>>> they had zero antibodies. It was a very unexpected thing. Workers in the
>>> medical field may want to have their titers checked.

>> Yes my doc told me that last year and I had the booster before I went
>> to Cuba.
>>

> Cuba? Cool! My wife has to take a 3 shot course over a 6 month period. I
> had a flu shot today. I'm getting all the shots I can get!

We had the flu shots but managed to get one not covered. Having said that
though it wasn't as bad as I've had in the past. Still not pleasant
though.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

a wake up call [email protected] Vegan 0 11-03-2012 06:35 AM
WAKE UP! Andy[_15_] General Cooking 10 31-08-2009 03:10 PM
Wake up rfc!!! Andy[_15_] General Cooking 14 17-03-2009 08:24 PM
WAKE UP YOU BUMS!!! Andy[_15_] General Cooking 18 30-12-2008 08:41 PM
Wake-up tea toci Tea 17 23-09-2008 02:09 PM