Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Entertaining bread-making video

This was posted on the bread group. Bertinet's books are great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXV8mayG3W0

Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 7, 2015 8:14:26 PM UTC-6, graham wrote:
> This was posted on the bread group. Bertinet's books are great.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXV8mayG3W0
>
> Graham

I didn't know dough was supposed to be that sticky.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/01/2015 7:33 PM, Christopher Helms wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 7, 2015 8:14:26 PM UTC-6, graham wrote:
>> This was posted on the bread group. Bertinet's books are great.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXV8mayG3W0
>>
>> Graham

> I didn't know dough was supposed to be that sticky.

It is to start with until the gluten develops. He uses quite a high
hydration for everyday bread but using the strong bread flours commonly
available in Canada and the US, it's not too much.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 7 Jan 2015 18:33:49 -0800 (PST), Christopher Helms
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, January 7, 2015 8:14:26 PM UTC-6, graham wrote:
>> This was posted on the bread group. Bertinet's books are great.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXV8mayG3W0
>>
>> Graham

>I didn't know dough was supposed to be that sticky.

You can help get past that stickiness by letting the sticky dough rest
in the mixing bowl for 10 minutes. During that time the gluten will
begin to develop on its own. Then decant the dough onto the board and
use a bench knife to help you turn it from underneath until you are
able to handle it with your hands. Using this approach you avoid the
temptation to add more flour until the dough is no longer sticky to
use with your hands.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher Helms" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, January 7, 2015 8:14:26 PM UTC-6, graham wrote:
>> This was posted on the bread group. Bertinet's books are great.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXV8mayG3W0
>>
>> Graham

> I didn't know dough was supposed to be that sticky.

Some kinds are but it's odd that he didn't flour the board. Or at least I
didn't see him do it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> This was posted on the bread group. Bertinet's books are great.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXV8mayG3W0

Wonderful)) Weighing the water eh? That will blow a few minds around
here

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/01/2015 10:44 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "graham" > wrote in message
>> This was posted on the bread group. Bertinet's books are great.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXV8mayG3W0

> Wonderful)) Weighing the water eh? That will blow a few minds around
> here

Sounds awfully weird to me.... and pointless.

--

Xeno.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Xeno" > wrote in message
> On 8/01/2015 10:44 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "graham" > wrote in message
>>> This was posted on the bread group. Bertinet's books are great.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXV8mayG3W0

>> Wonderful)) Weighing the water eh? That will blow a few minds around
>> here
>>

> Sounds awfully weird to me.... and pointless.

Nahh, I weigh most things. I don't trust cups, especially of dry stuff.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/01/2015 11:26 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Xeno" > wrote in message

>>> Wonderful)) Weighing the water eh? That will blow a few minds around
>>> here
>>>

>> Sounds awfully weird to me.... and pointless.

> Nahh, I weigh most things. I don't trust cups, especially of dry stuff.

Dry stuff I would weigh too. No need to weigh water though. A measuring
cup will do. If you're using metrics, it's even easier.

--

Xeno.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Xeno" > wrote in message
> On 8/01/2015 11:26 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Sounds awfully weird to me.... and pointless.

>> Nahh, I weigh most things. I don't trust cups, especially of dry stuff.
>>

> Dry stuff I would weigh too. No need to weigh water though. A measuring
> cup will do. If you're using metrics, it's even easier.

That guy is a fantastic and expert baker so I am not about to argue with
him)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 21:01:10 -0700, Janet B >
wrote:

>On Wed, 7 Jan 2015 18:33:49 -0800 (PST), Christopher Helms
> wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday, January 7, 2015 8:14:26 PM UTC-6, graham wrote:
>>> This was posted on the bread group. Bertinet's books are great.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXV8mayG3W0
>>>
>>> Graham

>>I didn't know dough was supposed to be that sticky.

>You can help get past that stickiness by letting the sticky dough rest
>in the mixing bowl for 10 minutes. During that time the gluten will
>begin to develop on its own. Then decant the dough onto the board and
>use a bench knife to help you turn it from underneath until you are
>able to handle it with your hands. Using this approach you avoid the
>temptation to add more flour until the dough is no longer sticky to
>use with your hands.
>Janet US

I go opposite to the flour tack - I wet my hands to prevent sticking
and pull the dough up and out - straight up, then play with it a bit
by lengthy stretches or a few slaps down into the bowl.

Granted, I have a very large proof bowl, but I have fun playing with
the dough. And I know my doughs well enough so that my wetted hands
are not harming my ultimate hydration goals.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2015 6:44 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "graham" > wrote
>> This was posted on the bread group. Bertinet's books are great.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXV8mayG3W0

> Wonderful)) Weighing the water eh? That will blow a few minds around
> here

I always weigh the liquids when I make bread!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2015 7:26 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Xeno" > wrote.
>> On 8/01/2015 10:44 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> "graham" > wrote

>>> Wonderful)) Weighing the water eh? That will blow a few minds around
>>> here
>>>

>> Sounds awfully weird to me.... and pointless.

> Nahh, I weigh most things. I don't trust cups, especially of dry stuff.

+1

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2015 7:29 AM, Xeno wrote:
> On 8/01/2015 11:26 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Xeno" > wrote
>>> Sounds awfully weird to me.... and pointless.

>> Nahh, I weigh most things. I don't trust cups, especially of dry stuff.
>>

> Dry stuff I would weigh too. No need to weigh water though. A measuring
> cup will do. If you're using metrics, it's even easier.

if you're weighing the dry stuff, and the scale is already on the
counter, why get out another measuring device?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/01/2015 11:33 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Xeno" > wrote in message

>>> Nahh, I weigh most things. I don't trust cups, especially of dry stuff.
>>>

>> Dry stuff I would weigh too. No need to weigh water though. A measuring
>> cup will do. If you're using metrics, it's even easier.

> That guy is a fantastic and expert baker so I am not about to argue with
> him)

I can see that he is an expert. That kneading was brilliant to watch.

Anyway....

In metrics: I litre of water = 1 kilogram or 1,000 grams

Easy to work out subunits, three quarter, half, quarter, etc.

If you're dealing with water, there really is no need to weigh.

--

Xeno.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/01/2015 11:55 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 1/8/2015 7:29 AM, Xeno wrote:
>> On 8/01/2015 11:26 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> "Xeno" > wrote
>>>
>>> Nahh, I weigh most things. I don't trust cups, especially of dry stuff.
>>>

>> Dry stuff I would weigh too. No need to weigh water though. A measuring
>> cup will do. If you're using metrics, it's even easier.
>>

> if you're weighing the dry stuff, and the scale is already on the
> counter, why get out another measuring device?

We always have a metric liquid measure at hand so it's no biggie! After
all, it's nothing more than a measuring jug.

http://tinyurl.com/q9x7pq9

or

http://tinyurl.com/ktgrar5

The numbers up the side can be measured directly as grams or millilitres.

The metric system makes it quite easy.

You can also use measuring spoon sets marked similarly.

--

Xeno.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 1/8/2015 6:44 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "graham" > wrote
>>> This was posted on the bread group. Bertinet's books are great.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXV8mayG3W0

>> Wonderful)) Weighing the water eh? That will blow a few minds around
>> here
>>

> I always weigh the liquids when I make bread!

I wasn't referring to you m'dear :-) When it is suggested that using
scales
instead of cups there is usually a backlash

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 1/8/2015 7:29 AM, Xeno wrote:
>> On 8/01/2015 11:26 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> "Xeno" > wrote
>>>
>>> Nahh, I weigh most things. I don't trust cups, especially of dry stuff.
>>>

>> Dry stuff I would weigh too. No need to weigh water though. A measuring
>> cup will do. If you're using metrics, it's even easier.
>>

> if you're weighing the dry stuff, and the scale is already on the counter,
> why get out another measuring device?

Exactly, but I had no intention of getting into the cup vs scales thing
again.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Xeno" > wrote in message
> On 8/01/2015 11:33 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Dry stuff I would weigh too. No need to weigh water though. A measuring
>>> cup will do. If you're using metrics, it's even easier.

>> That guy is a fantastic and expert baker so I am not about to argue with
>> him)
>>

> I can see that he is an expert. That kneading was brilliant to watch.
>
> Anyway....
>
> In metrics: I litre of water = 1 kilogram or 1,000 grams
>
> Easy to work out subunits, three quarter, half, quarter, etc.
>
> If you're dealing with water, there really is no need to weigh.

Of course dear

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Xeno > wrote:

> On 8/01/2015 11:33 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> >> Dry stuff I would weigh too. No need to weigh water though. A measuring
> >> cup will do. If you're using metrics, it's even easier.

> > That guy is a fantastic and expert baker so I am not about to argue with
> > him)
> >

> I can see that he is an expert. That kneading was brilliant to watch.
>
> Anyway....
>
> In metrics: I litre of water = 1 kilogram or 1,000 grams
>
> Easy to work out subunits, three quarter, half, quarter, etc.
>
> If you're dealing with water, there really is no need to weigh.

Or 1 cup = 8 oz.

Easy to work out subunits, three quarter, half, quarter, etc

If you're dealing with water, there really is no reason not to weigh.

So what's your point anyway?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/01/2015 5:51 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 1/8/2015 6:44 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "graham" > wrote
>>> This was posted on the bread group. Bertinet's books are great.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXV8mayG3W0

>> Wonderful)) Weighing the water eh? That will blow a few minds around
>> here
>>

> I always weigh the liquids when I make bread!

As do I! It's easier than trying to see where the meniscus is in a pyrex
jug. Furthermore, I doubt that the markings on the latter are close to
being accurate.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2015 8:53 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "S Viemeister" > wrote
>> On 1/8/2015 6:44 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> "graham" > wrote

>>> Wonderful)) Weighing the water eh? That will blow a few minds around
>>> here
>>>

>> I always weigh the liquids when I make bread!

> I wasn't referring to you m'dear :-) When it is suggested that using
> scales instead of cups there is usually a backlash

Indeed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2015 8:54 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "S Viemeister" > wrote in message

>>> Dry stuff I would weigh too. No need to weigh water though. A measuring
>>> cup will do. If you're using metrics, it's even easier.
>>>

>> if you're weighing the dry stuff, and the scale is already on the
>> counter, why get out another measuring device?

> Exactly, but I had no intention of getting into the cup vs scales thing
> again.

It's possible that US cooks should go to using weights, but actual
*measurement* of ingredients, introduced by the Fanny Farmer, Boston
Cooking School, was such a big advantage that tradition still rules in
the US even while inexpensive small scales have been around for years. I
wonder how much difference they make.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2015 9:33 AM, graham wrote:
> On 08/01/2015 5:51 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
>> On 1/8/2015 6:44 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> "graham" > wrote

>>> Wonderful)) Weighing the water eh? That will blow a few minds around
>>> here
>>>

>> I always weigh the liquids when I make bread!
>>

> As do I! It's easier than trying to see where the meniscus is in a pyrex
> jug. Furthermore, I doubt that the markings on the latter are close to
> being accurate.

There are -some_ things for which I do use volume measurements.
I have a set of graduated cylinders (as used in labs). I find them much
easier to use when measuring, for example, 1 1/2 ml of orange oil. More
precise and less likely to spill, than when using measuring spoons.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 08 Jan 2015 07:46:55 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 21:01:10 -0700, Janet B >
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 7 Jan 2015 18:33:49 -0800 (PST), Christopher Helms
> wrote:

>>>I didn't know dough was supposed to be that sticky.

>>You can help get past that stickiness by letting the sticky dough rest
>>in the mixing bowl for 10 minutes. During that time the gluten will
>>begin to develop on its own. Then decant the dough onto the board and
>>use a bench knife to help you turn it from underneath until you are
>>able to handle it with your hands. Using this approach you avoid the
>>temptation to add more flour until the dough is no longer sticky to
>>use with your hands.
>>Janet US

>I go opposite to the flour tack - I wet my hands to prevent sticking
>and pull the dough up and out - straight up, then play with it a bit
>by lengthy stretches or a few slaps down into the bowl.
>
>Granted, I have a very large proof bowl, but I have fun playing with
>the dough. And I know my doughs well enough so that my wetted hands
>are not harming my ultimate hydration goals.
>
>Boron

Good approach and another way of getting there.
How are you doing? Any plans for any sort of a garden this year? I'm
cutting way back.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 8 Jan 2015 13:55:17 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Xeno" > wrote in message
>> On 8/01/2015 11:33 PM, Ophelia wrote:

snip

>>> That guy is a fantastic and expert baker so I am not about to argue with
>>> him)
>>>

>> I can see that he is an expert. That kneading was brilliant to watch.
>>
>> Anyway....
>>
>> In metrics: I litre of water = 1 kilogram or 1,000 grams
>>
>> Easy to work out subunits, three quarter, half, quarter, etc.
>>
>> If you're dealing with water, there really is no need to weigh.

>Of course dear

Good answer!
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-01-08, Mark Storkamp > wrote:

> Or 1 cup = 8 oz.

Is that weight ounces or volume ounces??

That's the problem in rfc. Many here cannot define, and are not aware of,
the difference between those two variations on the same term. I
know. I've argued this, b4.

All you rfc ppl who believe "ounces" can only be measured in a
measuring cup, raise yer hands.

See? It'd be easier to learn metric. Grams and milliliters sound
nothing alike.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-01-08, S Viemeister > wrote:
> On 1/8/2015 8:53 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>> I wasn't referring to you m'dear :-) When it is suggested that using
>> scales instead of cups there is usually a backlash

> Indeed.

See my other post.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-01-08, S Viemeister > wrote:

> There are -some_ things for which I do use volume measurements.
> I have a set of graduated cylinders (as used in labs). I find them much
> easier to use when measuring, for example, 1 1/2 ml of orange oil. More
> precise and less likely to spill, than when using measuring spoons.

When you get down to milliliters, pipettes and graduated droppers are
needed. I jes bought a medicine dropper that measures as little as
1ml.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2015-01-08, Mark Storkamp > wrote:
>
>> Or 1 cup = 8 oz.

> Is that weight ounces or volume ounces??
>
> That's the problem in rfc. Many here cannot define, and are not aware of,
> the difference between those two variations on the same term. I
> know. I've argued this, b4.
>
> All you rfc ppl who believe "ounces" can only be measured in a
> measuring cup, raise yer hands.
>
> See? It'd be easier to learn metric. Grams and milliliters sound
> nothing alike.

+1 )))))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 08 Jan 2015 10:19:48 -0700, Janet B >
wrote:

>On Thu, 08 Jan 2015 07:46:55 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 21:01:10 -0700, Janet B >
>>wrote:

>>>You can help get past that stickiness by letting the sticky dough rest
>>>in the mixing bowl for 10 minutes. During that time the gluten will
>>>begin to develop on its own. Then decant the dough onto the board and
>>>use a bench knife to help you turn it from underneath until you are
>>>able to handle it with your hands. Using this approach you avoid the
>>>temptation to add more flour until the dough is no longer sticky to
>>>use with your hands.
>>>Janet US

>>I go opposite to the flour tack - I wet my hands to prevent sticking
>>and pull the dough up and out - straight up, then play with it a bit
>>by lengthy stretches or a few slaps down into the bowl.
>>
>>Granted, I have a very large proof bowl, but I have fun playing with
>>the dough. And I know my doughs well enough so that my wetted hands
>>are not harming my ultimate hydration goals.
>>
>>Boron

>Good approach and another way of getting there.
>How are you doing? Any plans for any sort of a garden this year? I'm
>cutting way back.
>Janet US

Very well, thank you and I hope you are the same.

The day after Christmas, the merchandise catalogs stopped coming and
the seed catalogs took their place. I have no firm plans, yet. How
about you?

OH..I brought in a mandevilla from outside when it got cold and set it
in a sunny location...by golly, it sent out seed pods (the seeds come
with fluffy strands just like dandelions) and I am going to see if I
can get some to germinate.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2015 7:29 AM, Xeno wrote:

> Dry stuff I would weigh too. No need to weigh water though. A measuring
> cup will do. If you're using metrics, it's even easier.

If you customarily use weight, you have no need for anything but a
scale. Sure, most of us have cups, but on the other side of the pond any
water holding container will do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In an ordinary home cook's batch of anything, I would guess the difference between cups and ounces
would be minuscule....the quantities wouldn't be large enough to have big differences, IMO.

But in a commercial bakery, where total quantities are much larger, I think the differences would be very
large, relatively, and weighing would be the way to go, as I am sure large bakeries do.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 05:26:44 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>In an ordinary home cook's batch of anything, I would guess the difference between cups and ounces
>would be minuscule....the quantities wouldn't be large enough to have big differences, IMO.
>
>But in a commercial bakery, where total quantities are much larger, I think the differences would be very
>large, relatively, and weighing would be the way to go, as I am sure large bakeries do.
>
>N.

Yes, big diffs between home baking and commercial.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/01/2015 1:55 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 05:26:44 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>
>> In an ordinary home cook's batch of anything, I would guess the difference between cups and ounces
>> would be minuscule....the quantities wouldn't be large enough to have big differences, IMO.
>>
>> But in a commercial bakery, where total quantities are much larger, I think the differences would be very
>> large, relatively, and weighing would be the way to go, as I am sure large bakeries do.
>>
>> N.

> Yes, big diffs between home baking and commercial.

Not so much any more. A former baker I know gave up the trade because
all that the commercial pastrycooks use now is pre-mix ingredients. In
the "good old days" they mixed everything up from scratch. Now they are
just like the home bakers who buy the pre-mix and add water...

--

Xeno.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 08:40:17 +1100, Xeno >
wrote:

> On 12/01/2015 1:55 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> > On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 05:26:44 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> In an ordinary home cook's batch of anything, I would guess the difference between cups and ounces
> >> would be minuscule....the quantities wouldn't be large enough to have big differences, IMO.
> >>
> >> But in a commercial bakery, where total quantities are much larger, I think the differences would be very
> >> large, relatively, and weighing would be the way to go, as I am sure large bakeries do.
> >>
> >> N.

> > Yes, big diffs between home baking and commercial.
> >

> Not so much any more. A former baker I know gave up the trade because
> all that the commercial pastrycooks use now is pre-mix ingredients. In
> the "good old days" they mixed everything up from scratch. Now they are
> just like the home bakers who buy the pre-mix and add water...

You can't paint all restaurants with such a broad brush. I know one
nearby restaurant that isn't a downtown 4 start big bucks type of
establishment, but they employ 6 pastry chefs and make all their
desserts from scratch, including ice cream.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/01/2015 9:50 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 08:40:17 +1100, Xeno >
> wrote:
>
>> On 12/01/2015 1:55 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>>> On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 05:26:44 -0800 (PST), Nancy2

>>> Yes, big diffs between home baking and commercial.
>>>

>> Not so much any more. A former baker I know gave up the trade because
>> all that the commercial pastrycooks use now is pre-mix ingredients. In
>> the "good old days" they mixed everything up from scratch. Now they are
>> just like the home bakers who buy the pre-mix and add water...

> You can't paint all restaurants with such a broad brush. I know one
> nearby restaurant that isn't a downtown 4 start big bucks type of
> establishment, but they employ 6 pastry chefs and make all their
> desserts from scratch, including ice cream.

I wasn't referring to restaurants. I was referring to a major commercial
bakery that makes bread, pastries, etc for supermarkets. My friend used
to work for a large supermarket chain initially and later went on to
work in a "factory" making pastry, etc for commercial distribution.

--

Xeno.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 11:23:22 +1100, Xeno >
wrote:

> I wasn't referring to restaurants. I was referring to a major commercial
> bakery that makes bread, pastries, etc for supermarkets. My friend used
> to work for a large supermarket chain initially and later went on to
> work in a "factory" making pastry, etc for commercial distribution.

You'll be lucky to find any supermarket bakeries that do more than
heat up prebaked items, if they do that much.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/01/2015 2:25 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 11:23:22 +1100, Xeno >
> wrote:
>
>> I wasn't referring to restaurants. I was referring to a major commercial
>> bakery that makes bread, pastries, etc for supermarkets. My friend used
>> to work for a large supermarket chain initially and later went on to
>> work in a "factory" making pastry, etc for commercial distribution.

> You'll be lucky to find any supermarket bakeries that do more than
> heat up prebaked items, if they do that much.

They still do that here in many. I know because the daughter of a friend
used to work in the bakery at her local supermarket. She used to bring
home the 4 gallon buckets that they get their premixed icing in. The
buckets made excellent garden buckets! No doubt they will all go the way
of heating up prebaked items. One of the supermarkets here was recently
caught out advertising bread as freshly baked when it was part baked
elsewhere, frozen and rebaked ... so it is happening.

--

Xeno.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 19:25:59 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 11:23:22 +1100, Xeno >
>wrote:
>
>> I wasn't referring to restaurants. I was referring to a major commercial
>> bakery that makes bread, pastries, etc for supermarkets. My friend used
>> to work for a large supermarket chain initially and later went on to
>> work in a "factory" making pastry, etc for commercial distribution.

>You'll be lucky to find any supermarket bakeries that do more than
>heat up prebaked items, if they do that much.

The ones that I see do bake the items. They get the goods from
various places. The baking is done in vertical cart-like things with
shelves.
Janet US

Fire Making Video? Brad Wrenshaw Sushi 1 12-08-2013 07:17 AM
Innovative bread making video viince Sourdough 6 07-08-2007 08:47 PM
Innovative bread making video viince Baking 1 07-08-2007 06:25 PM
Innovative bread making video [email protected] Sourdough 0 07-08-2007 04:40 PM
Baking Bread from Scratch -- how to video Daev Baking 3 29-04-2007 04:55 PM