Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I miss Andy

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
news
> On 1/4/2015 6:07 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> (laugh!) Very clever. Guess my wording could use a little work.

>> Nothing wrong with your wording, take no notice of that cheeky Bruce)

> Maybe I should say that the people I'm upset about missing are
> most assuredly not on facebook.

Indeed I echo that view

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/4/2015 6:06 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>> When I joined, I knew nothing of those "on-off switches".

> Nor did I! I joined and immediately got inundated with 'stuff' I
> didn't know what 'friended' was and I didn't want to know. I never went
> back and for a long time I still got that stuff but over the years it
> has stopped. I wouldn't know how to get back in and even if I did, I
> don't remember my password. No, too invasive for me.

That is how you pay for your "free" membership.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 04 Jan 2015 10:39:38 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On 1/4/2015 6:06 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> >

> >> When I joined, I knew nothing of those "on-off switches".

> > Nor did I! I joined and immediately got inundated with 'stuff' I
> > didn't know what 'friended' was and I didn't want to know. I never went
> > back and for a long time I still got that stuff but over the years it
> > has stopped. I wouldn't know how to get back in and even if I did, I
> > don't remember my password. No, too invasive for me.
> >

> That is how you pay for your "free" membership.

+1

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 04 Jan 2015 17:16:27 +1100, Bruce > wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 21:49:24 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 04 Jan 2015 15:58:06 +1100, Xeno >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> I have also caught up to a few of my old school friends, the ones I
> >> liked, through FB so it's not all bad. Depends on how you control it I
> >> suppose.

> >Me too. I found everyone I wanted to find from elementary and high
> >school.

> I found everybody too, but I didn't tell them.

I liked being able to catch up on where they're living and what
they're doing now.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Jan 2015 22:27:15 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "Bruce" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 21:49:24 -0800, sf > wrote:

> >>Me too. I found everyone I wanted to find from elementary and high
> >>school.

> > I found everybody too, but I didn't tell them.
> >
> > --
> > Bruce

> LOL, once a long time ago I looked up an old friend that was a good chum
> from the 4th grade to the 8th grade (before computers and such) The person
> was an absolute sponge as an adult, quite revolting actually. We had a hard
> time getting this person out of our house. Lesson learned, that was enough.
> :-)

You never have to worry about that when they are on another computer
in a different state. I did unfriend and block one from HS because he
was way too creepy for me. He wasn't a good friend in the first place
- just someone I often sat next to in class because a lot of teachers
arranged us in alpha order by last name. I didn't hang out with him
at lunch or after school.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 3, 2015 5:50:10 PM UTC-6, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 1/3/2015 4:17 PM, Bruce wrote:
> > On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 12:13:21 -0500, Nancy Young
> > > wrote:

> >> Well, it's true that a lot of people have migrated to facebook
> >> but the ones that upset me are the ones who have passed away.

> > I'd better be nice to you.

> (laugh!) Very clever. Guess my wording could use a little work.
>
> nancy

I have posted on the group for many many years, in recent years not much at all. I am in the FB group and like it, the people are friendly , there are no fights, no one tries to take over, and there is a lot of good food and recipes discussed and pictures even !! Have never heard a discouraging word there. Yes people make comments about things, but no blood is shed,. Great cooks are on the FB Page, I enjoy getting ideas from the things they make.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/4/2015 11:13 AM, rosie wrote:

> I have posted on the group for many many years, in recent years
> not much at all. I am in the FB group and like it, the people are
> friendly , there are no fights, no one tries to take over, and
> there is a lot of good food and recipes discussed and pictures even !!
> Have never heard a discouraging word there. Yes people make comments
> about things, but no blood is shed,. Great cooks are on the FB Page,
>I enjoy getting ideas from the things they make.

I don't blame you, though I don't care for it, myself. I am happy
to see you when you do come around to rfc, but I know people like
facebook.

I only joined because someone in my life asked me to and while
I do look in when facebook emails me, I would happily live without
it. My biggest problem is that people assume I see what's going on
and perhaps are annoyed when I'm not up to date.

Also, I prefer the livelier discussions on rfc, I didn't like
that old moderated recipe group, either.

But I like you. Heh. True that I don't think I've even seen you
say a bad word to anyone. And you sent me anchos.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 1/4/2015 6:06 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>>> When I joined, I knew nothing of those "on-off switches".

>> Nor did I! I joined and immediately got inundated with 'stuff' I
>> didn't know what 'friended' was and I didn't want to know. I never went
>> back and for a long time I still got that stuff but over the years it
>> has stopped. I wouldn't know how to get back in and even if I did, I
>> don't remember my password. No, too invasive for me.
>>

> That is how you pay for your "free" membership.

Yes, of course At least the kids have stopped badgering me about using it
again so it's all good

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

>> I have posted on the group for many many years, in recent years
> > not much at all. I am in the FB group and like it, the people are
> > friendly , there are no fights, no one tries to take over, and
> > there is a lot of good food and recipes discussed and pictures even !!
> > Have never heard a discouraging word there. Yes people make comments
> > about things, but no blood is shed,. Great cooks are on the FB Page,
> >I enjoy getting ideas from the things they make.

> I don't blame you, though I don't care for it, myself. I am happy
> to see you when you do come around to rfc, but I know people like
> facebook.
>
> I only joined because someone in my life asked me to and while
> I do look in when facebook emails me, I would happily live without
> it. My biggest problem is that people assume I see what's going on
> and perhaps are annoyed when I'm not up to date.
>
> Also, I prefer the livelier discussions on rfc, I didn't like
> that old moderated recipe group, either.
>
> But I like you. Heh. True that I don't think I've even seen you
> say a bad word to anyone. And you sent me anchos.

Well I agree, even if she doesn't send me anchos (whatever they are) *sulk*

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Invasive is what comes to mind, I suppose if you don't care or mind,
>>> that's okay. I hate it.
>>>

>> Invasive is the perfect word. You'll find people who will say just
>> set up a free unused email account for FB. IMHO, that should not be
>> necessary.
>>
>> Jill

> You would be surprised just how much info can be gleaned by the data
> mining bots just from what you AND your friends put in there. Even with
> my munged name and personal details, I am still surprised at who pops up
> as suggested friends... scary really. My advice, create a dummy account
> - full of incorrect info, even your name... then just advise friends you
> want to have as to the situation. It works (mostly) for me.

One of my sons uses a phoney name on FB, but his friends and family
knows who he is, he used no correct information when he set up his
account. I have another son who is on FB, using his real name, but he
never looks at it. He gets no notifications, that the FB detractors keep
talking about. Maybe FB changed, or his settings are different. It is
just hard to find enough time to scroll through FB, because I am too
busy doing other things. I recently saw a video of my brother and his
wife on FB, wearing ugly Christmas sweaters, laughing and singing a
Christmas song, now that was worth a look.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/4/2015 12:05 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> But I like you. Heh. True that I don't think I've even seen you
>> say a bad word to anyone. And you sent me anchos.

> Well I agree, even if she doesn't send me anchos (whatever they are) *sulk*

(laugh) I can get them around here now that I know what to look
for and also that peppers are more commonly used. It's a dried
poblano pepper.

I needed them for a cake that people were talking about,
ancho orange cake if I remember correctly. Different, but
tasty.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 4, 2015 10:49:53 AM UTC-6, Nancy Young wrote:

> > I have posted on the group for many many years, in recent years
> > not much at all. I am in the FB group and like it, the people are
> > friendly , there are no fights, no one tries to take over, and
> > there is a lot of good food and recipes discussed and pictures even !!
> > Have never heard a discouraging word there. Yes people make comments
> > about things, but no blood is shed,. Great cooks are on the FB Page,
> >I enjoy getting ideas from the things they make.

> I don't blame you, though I don't care for it, myself. I am happy
> to see you when you do come around to rfc, but I know people like
> facebook.
>
> I only joined because someone in my life asked me to and while
> I do look in when facebook emails me, I would happily live without
> it. My biggest problem is that people assume I see what's going on
> and perhaps are annoyed when I'm not up to date.
>
> Also, I prefer the livelier discussions on rfc, I didn't like
> that old moderated recipe group, either.
>
> But I like you. Heh. True that I don't think I've even seen you
> say a bad word to anyone. And you sent me anchos.
>
> nancy

Wow, that was a LONG time ago !! And yu sent me Taylor Pork Roll !!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/4/2015 11:49 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> I only joined because someone in my life asked me to and while
> I do look in when facebook emails me, I would happily live without
> it. My biggest problem is that people assume I see what's going on
> and perhaps are annoyed when I'm not up to date.

That's the thing about social media. Don't check FB for a few days or a
week? Gee, I had no idea you asked me to pick you up at the airport. LOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 4 Jan 2015 03:12:59 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 17:00:41 -0500, S Viemeister wrote:
>
>> I've set my preferences to _not_ notify me of 'updates'. _I_ decide what
>> I want to look at.
>> I don't allow FB access to my e-mail address book.

>I get weekly emails for the last 3 years telling me to give them my
>email password. And my cell-phone number for tracking purposes.
>
>-sw

I only did a very partial application using false info. FB got my
full name, neighbors names etc by getting my computer address. I'm
still getting emails from FB.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/4/2015 12:34 PM, rosie wrote:
> On Sunday, January 4, 2015 10:49:53 AM UTC-6, Nancy Young wrote:
>> Also, I prefer the livelier discussions on rfc, I didn't like
>> that old moderated recipe group, either.
>>
>> But I like you. Heh. True that I don't think I've even seen you
>> say a bad word to anyone. And you sent me anchos.
>>
>> nancy

> Wow, that was a LONG time ago !! And yu sent me Taylor Pork Roll !!

You're both great people. Nancy explained to me what Taylor Pork Roll
is and I discovered I can buy it at Publix... but I have yet to do so.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-01-04 12:14 PM, Becca EmaNymton wrote:

> One of my sons uses a phoney name on FB, but his friends and family
> knows who he is, he used no correct information when he set up his
> account. I have another son who is on FB, using his real name, but he
> never looks at it. He gets no notifications, that the FB detractors keep
> talking about. Maybe FB changed, or his settings are different. It is
> just hard to find enough time to scroll through FB, because I am too
> busy doing other things. I recently saw a video of my brother and his
> wife on FB, wearing ugly Christmas sweaters, laughing and singing a
> Christmas song, now that was worth a look.

I don't have major issues with it. Maybe by default it used to sent
notices and keep track of all your friends. There are a lot more options
built into it now. I keep in touch with some people through FB, but was
disappointed to see important announcements. For instance, a nephew
announced the birth of his kid on FB. No one bothered to call us or to
send a card or even an email. Not problem. I save the money on a card,
present and postage and just clicked on "like".

I see a lot of funny cartoons and videos on there and share them with my
friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-01-04 12:57 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/4/2015 11:49 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> I only joined because someone in my life asked me to and while
>> I do look in when facebook emails me, I would happily live without
>> it. My biggest problem is that people assume I see what's going on
>> and perhaps are annoyed when I'm not up to date.

> That's the thing about social media. Don't check FB for a few days or a
> week? Gee, I had no idea you asked me to pick you up at the airport. LOL

LOL thinking about an exchange between two of my brothers at a dinner
with our aunt and uncle. One brother was telling the uncle about his new
grandson. Other brother said something about not being told about the
birth of the baby and the new grandfather said that it was on FaceBook.
The offended brother said "I'm not on FaceBook".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/4/2015 12:34 PM, rosie wrote:
> On Sunday, January 4, 2015 10:49:53 AM UTC-6, Nancy Young wrote:

>> But I like you. Heh. True that I don't think I've even seen you
>> say a bad word to anyone. And you sent me anchos.

> Wow, that was a LONG time ago !! And yu sent me Taylor Pork Roll !!

Awesome! There used to be a lot more exchanges going on
years ago.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 04/01/2015 10:57 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/4/2015 11:49 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> I only joined because someone in my life asked me to and while
>> I do look in when facebook emails me, I would happily live without
>> it. My biggest problem is that people assume I see what's going on
>> and perhaps are annoyed when I'm not up to date.

> That's the thing about social media. Don't check FB for a few days or a
> week? Gee, I had no idea you asked me to pick you up at the airport. LOL
>
> Jill

A friend told me this morning that he has to use FB to send messages to
his teenage grand-daughter as she hardly ever checks her e-mail account.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
news
> On 1/4/2015 12:34 PM, rosie wrote:
>> On Sunday, January 4, 2015 10:49:53 AM UTC-6, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> But I like you. Heh. True that I don't think I've even seen you
>>> say a bad word to anyone. And you sent me anchos.

>> Wow, that was a LONG time ago !! And yu sent me Taylor Pork Roll !!

> Awesome! There used to be a lot more exchanges going on
> years ago.

And you sent me the RFC cookbook)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/4/2015 1:31 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> news

>>> Wow, that was a LONG time ago !! And yu sent me Taylor Pork Roll !!

>> Awesome! There used to be a lot more exchanges going on
>> years ago.
>>

> And you sent me the RFC cookbook)

That's right! Amazing how far that book has travelled.
Around the globe.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 04/01/2015 8:26 AM, Michel Boucher wrote:

> Having sat through House Debates for 16 years before I retired, I
> saw the full depth of Conservative depravity of which people are
> generally unaware. Trust me, it's a LOT worse than it looks from
> outside the box.

What was your job, if you don't mind being asked?

Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 4, 2015 12:13:45 PM UTC-6, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 1/4/2015 12:34 PM, rosie wrote:
> > On Sunday, January 4, 2015 10:49:53 AM UTC-6, Nancy Young wrote:

> >> But I like you. Heh. True that I don't think I've even seen you
> >> say a bad word to anyone. And you sent me anchos.

> > Wow, that was a LONG time ago !! And yu sent me Taylor Pork Roll !!

> Awesome! There used to be a lot more exchanges going on
> years ago.
>
> nancy

a good time, liked most everyone on the rfc page then and we did not seem to have as many bad fights, of course I may just remember it differently. There are still plenty of people I like, you Jill, SF, Ophelia, and I could go on.That was fun, some of us oldies ( in spirit) had a good ttime. and still can. BTW . I am in Texas now, so if anyone wants anythng from Texas, let me know !!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 1/4/2015 1:31 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Awesome! There used to be a lot more exchanges going on
>>> years ago.
>>>

>> And you sent me the RFC cookbook)

> That's right! Amazing how far that book has travelled.
> Around the globe.

How long ago was that? I seem to have had it for a long time)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"rosie" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, January 4, 2015 12:13:45 PM UTC-6, Nancy Young wrote:

>> > Wow, that was a LONG time ago !! And yu sent me Taylor Pork Roll !!

>> Awesome! There used to be a lot more exchanges going on
>> years ago.
>>
>> nancy

> a good time, liked most everyone on the rfc page then and we did not seem
> to have as many bad fights, of course I may just remember it differently.
> There are still plenty of people I like, you Jill, SF, Ophelia, and I
> could go on.That was fun, some of us oldies ( in spirit) had a good ttime.
> and still can. BTW . I am in Texas now, so if anyone wants anythng from
> Texas, let me know !!

I seem to remember it was much nicer posting back then ... maybe too many
have got old and grumpy))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/4/2015 1:27 AM, Cheri wrote:

>>> I found everybody too, but I didn't tell them.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bruce

>> LOL, once a long time ago I looked up an old friend that was a good chum
>> from the 4th grade to the 8th grade (before computers and such) The
>> person was an absolute sponge as an adult, quite revolting actually. We
>> had a hard time getting this person out of our house. Lesson learned,
>> that was enough. :-)
>>
>> Cheri

> I found someone who was a friend from HS, she'd turned into a bible
> thumping holy roller. Yowsa!
>
> Jill

LOL, I had an old friend that went through that stage, but then she came
back around.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/3/2015 9:17 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Jan 2015 16:14:14 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> > wrote:
>
>> Nothing that Blake wrote justified Andy's
>> No-Legs bullshit, which lasted for almost two years, and only ended
>> when Blake died.

> I know. It was hard to watch.

It was.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/3/2015 10:08 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 16:58:12 -0700, graham > wrote:

>>> I've set my preferences to _not_ notify me of 'updates'. _I_ decide what
>>> I want to look at.
>>> I don't allow FB access to my e-mail address book.

>> When I joined, I knew nothing of those "on-off switches".

> All you need to do is look. I knew zero about FB, had zero tutoring
> and yet I managed to figure it out. My friends PM me asking how to do
> FB things now.

While I was getting radiation treatments, FB was the way I let my
friends and family know how I was doing. If I did not post one day, the
phone started to ring. In my situation, and others where many people
need to be kept abreast of a situation, FB is a very handy tool.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/3/2015 11:49 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Jan 2015 15:58:06 +1100, Xeno >
> wrote:
>
>> I have also caught up to a few of my old school friends, the ones I
>> liked, through FB so it's not all bad. Depends on how you control it I
>> suppose.

> Me too. I found everyone I wanted to find from elementary and high
> school.

It really came in handy for our 50th HS reunion.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/4/2015 1:44 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 1/4/2015 1:31 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Awesome! There used to be a lot more exchanges going on
>>> years ago.
>>>

>> And you sent me the RFC cookbook)

> That's right! Amazing how far that book has travelled.
> Around the globe.
>
> nancy

I was wearing the RFC t-shirt from 2002 yesterday.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/4/2015 1:18 PM, graham wrote:
> On 04/01/2015 10:57 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 1/4/2015 11:49 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>> I only joined because someone in my life asked me to and while
>>> I do look in when facebook emails me, I would happily live without
>>> it. My biggest problem is that people assume I see what's going on
>>> and perhaps are annoyed when I'm not up to date.

>> That's the thing about social media. Don't check FB for a few days or a
>> week? Gee, I had no idea you asked me to pick you up at the airport. LOL
>>
>> Jill

> A friend told me this morning that he has to use FB to send messages to
> his teenage grand-daughter as she hardly ever checks her e-mail account.
> Graham

If that's the only way she'll communicate, okey doke.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/4/2015 12:27 AM, Cheri wrote:

> LOL, once a long time ago I looked up an old friend that was a good chum
> from the 4th grade to the 8th grade (before computers and such) The
> person was an absolute sponge as an adult, quite revolting actually. We
> had a hard time getting this person out of our house. Lesson learned,
> that was enough. :-)

I had a similar experience. A good friend from high school found me
(this was in 2006 before FB). She was living in LA and not in very
happy condition or circumstances. We chatted on the phone, but she was
terribly needy and I just couldn't fulfill her needs. I was coming off
cancer surgery, radiation and an emergency colostomy at the time and had
enough keeping myself together. There was little energy left for her.
We have lost touch.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

OT - Miss me? ;-) Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 28 16-12-2006 09:08 AM
miss me? ~*~ Bunny ~*~ Recipes 0 25-10-2004 06:54 AM
Miss me? Steve Wertz Barbecue 6 12-01-2004 06:38 PM