Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I miss Andy

On Saturday, January 3, 2015 6:44:26 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
> On 1/3/2015 2:25 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

> >> President Park wishes to say to do as you will with this "Usenet."
> >> However, touch our Starcraft networks and your rectum will be as a
> >> floodgate for a thousand kilos of kimchee and your round monkey head
> >> used as kicking ball for enjoyment of little children of this country.
> >> If you to go to war we give you war!
> >>
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV-Yw_pXPaA

> > I don't understand Korean, but I not believe that your post is an accurate
> > translation of the video, and neither of those dudes looked anything like President Park.
> >
> > --Bryan
> >

> Sorry for the confusion - this might help:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j603WZxC598

I'm sure that the Beloved Leader would prefer to be watching a Lakers game.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-01-03 18:42, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> I was booted from Facebook the second I signed on, before I posted
> anything. I have no use for those disingenuous frauds, making believe
> they know how to cook... those are all the losers who couldn't hold
> their own at rfc.

And we all know how you like to hold your own.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/3/2015 5:42 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Jan 2015 08:54:51 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 11:27:09 -0500, Nancy Young

>>> Many disappear and come back (unannounced) under a different nom de
>>> plume. You can tell by how familiar they are with all the players and
>>> their history within the group. If you have a Facebook account,
>>> you'll find a lot of the old timers are still alive and kicking, but
>>> they have drifted over to RFC on FB where everybody plays nice or else
>>> they are kicked out and banned.

>> I really don't care for moderated groups at all since I can decide for
>> myself what's nice at any given time.
>>
>> Cheri

> I was booted from Facebook the second I signed on, before I posted
> anything. I have no use for those disingenuous frauds, making believe
> they know how to cook... those are all the losers who couldn't hold
> their own at rfc.

Well Barb Schaller and Koko are on there. I know that both of them are
excellent cooks and Barb has the ribbons to prove it.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/01/2015 5:14 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/3/2015 6:58 PM, graham wrote:

>>> I've set my preferences to _not_ notify me of 'updates'. _I_ decide what
>>> I want to look at.
>>> I don't allow FB access to my e-mail address book.

>> When I joined, I knew nothing of those "on-off switches".
>> Graham

> Don't feel bad, they hid them very well. They didn't want you to know
> how to delete (vs. deactivate) your account, either. You really had to
> hunt for it.
>
> Jill

Yeah! I had to google the method to extricate myself!
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

l not -l wrote:

> On 1-Jan-2015, tert in seattle > wrote:
>
>> the BUM!!

> +1

his ghost made me do it

at least he leaves me alone about the English muffins now

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Actually, AIUI, the account is sort of dormant. The second you log on
>>> with your old password etc, it will be as if you hadn't left.
>>> Graham

>> Correct I heard Zuckerberg himself describing it 'as if you had drawn
>> a curtain over it' -
>>

> It's been a while but I remember there were two options. Deactivate
> account and Delete account. They made Delete account very hard to find.
> Program wise they are probably the same thing. I won't be signing in
> to find out.
>
> Jill

I deleted it! But AIUI it's effectively dormant!
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/01/2015 10:42 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Jan 2015 08:54:51 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 11:27:09 -0500, Nancy Young

>>> Many disappear and come back (unannounced) under a different nom de
>>> plume. You can tell by how familiar they are with all the players and
>>> their history within the group. If you have a Facebook account,
>>> you'll find a lot of the old timers are still alive and kicking, but
>>> they have drifted over to RFC on FB where everybody plays nice or else
>>> they are kicked out and banned.

>> I really don't care for moderated groups at all since I can decide for
>> myself what's nice at any given time.
>>
>> Cheri

> I was booted from Facebook the second I signed on, before I posted
> anything.

facebook is wiser than I first realised! ;-)

> I have no use for those disingenuous frauds, making believe
> they know how to cook... those are all the losers who couldn't hold
> their own at rfc.

Or you're a loser that wasn't wanted in Facebook..... more likely.

--

Xeno.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Used to be you had to jump through hoops to turn off those
>>> notifications. Get it set the way you wanted, then they'd do an update
>>> and all the settings would revert back. Suddenly here came all the
>>> email notifications again. It was extremely irritating. I finally
>>> deleted the account. They made that difficult to do, too.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Invasive is what comes to mind, I suppose if you don't care or mind,
>> that's okay. I hate it.
>>

> Invasive is the perfect word. You'll find people who will say just
> set up a free unused email account for FB. IMHO, that should not be
> necessary.
>
> Jill

You would be surprised just how much info can be gleaned by the data
mining bots just from what you AND your friends put in there. Even with
my munged name and personal details, I am still surprised at who pops up
as suggested friends... scary really. My advice, create a dummy account
- full of incorrect info, even your name... then just advise friends you
want to have as to the situation. It works (mostly) for me.

--

Xeno.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/01/2015 12:24 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-01-03 18:42, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> I was booted from Facebook the second I signed on, before I posted
>> anything. I have no use for those disingenuous frauds, making believe
>> they know how to cook... those are all the losers who couldn't hold
>> their own at rfc.
>>

> And we all know how you like to hold your own.

Seems more like it's "what" he's holding that is the issue! ;-)

--

Xeno.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/01/2015 12:35 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 1/3/2015 5:42 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Sat, 3 Jan 2015 08:54:51 -0800, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>> I really don't care for moderated groups at all since I can decide for
>>> myself what's nice at any given time.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> I was booted from Facebook the second I signed on, before I posted
>> anything. I have no use for those disingenuous frauds, making believe
>> they know how to cook... those are all the losers who couldn't hold
>> their own at rfc.
>>

> Well Barb Schaller and Koko are on there. I know that both of them are
> excellent cooks and Barb has the ribbons to prove it.

The people who are there are most likely the people who can't be
bothered with the viciousness here and on other usenet groups. Can't say
I blame them for that!

--

Xeno.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 18:52:50 -0700, graham > wrote:

>The -------* is a cunning, manipulative sod! Nothing will surprise me.

Oh. You mean he's a successful politician. Why not just say that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Jan 2015 16:14:14 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

> Nothing that Blake wrote justified Andy's
> No-Legs bullshit, which lasted for almost two years, and only ended
> when Blake died.

I know. It was hard to watch.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Jan 2015 14:26:18 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 12:24:22 -0500, jmcquown >
> > wrote:

> >> If the FB group is anything like when Damsel controlled rfc chat (and
> >> thought she was the queen of RFC, too), no thanks.

> > Are you talking about back when "the in crowd" would gather in the rfc
> > chat room and then come here to talk among themselves about all their
> > fun the night before? It was juvenal behavior for sure, but I think
> > she actually owned the channel at that point.
> >
> >> IMHO, moderated
> >> groups suck and the moderators usually have their own agenda.
> >>

> > I'm fine with moderated FB groups and some are certainly better than
> > others. Don't like it? Leave the group (do it officially, by
> > clicking the button) and move on.

> Or better yet, if you don't like moderated groups, don't join in the first
> place so there's no need to click a button.

I'm talking about people who are not dead set against moderated groups
and join one it turns out they don't like. For me, the group I
dropped out of was because I didn't like the recipes normally posted
there rather than the moderators. I'd get ready to un-join and
somebody new would post what I think of as a normal, scratch recipe so
I didn't leave. In spite of being given a glimmer of hope every so
often that it would improve, it never did. IOW, my simple was not
the group participant's simple. They didn't discuss or post scratch
recipes, so I left.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Jan 2015 14:17:51 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> I can't imagine Damsel controlling any kind of newsgroup, chat, etc. That
> must have been something. LOL

She had a big personality when she was in manic mode.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Invasive is what comes to mind, I suppose if you don't care or mind,
>>> that's okay. I hate it.
>>>

>> Invasive is the perfect word. You'll find people who will say just
>> set up a free unused email account for FB. IMHO, that should not be
>> necessary.
>>
>> Jill

> You would be surprised

No, I wouldn't.

> just how much info can be gleaned by the data
> mining bots just from what you AND your friends put in there. Even with
> my munged name and personal details, I am still surprised at who pops up
> as suggested friends... scary really. My advice, create a dummy account
> - full of incorrect info, even your name... then just advise friends you
> want to have as to the situation. It works (mostly) for me.

Why bother? Lots of us have no interest in FB so we're certainly not
going to create dummy accounts to sign up. Again. Dumped it, won't be
going back.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 16:58:12 -0700, graham > wrote:

> On 03/01/2015 3:00 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
> > On 1/3/2015 3:39 PM, graham wrote:
> >
> >> I joined briefly because the UK food group migrated to FB. I quit due to
> >> the constant barrage of "friending" suggestions (mined from my e-mail
> >> address book!) and the damned updates. Every time someone farted they
> >> updated their page which warranted a missive from FB.
> >> A lot of Canadian newspapers now use FB for commenting so I'm shut out
> >> of those as well.
> >>

> > I've set my preferences to _not_ notify me of 'updates'. _I_ decide what
> > I want to look at.
> > I don't allow FB access to my e-mail address book.

> When I joined, I knew nothing of those "on-off switches".

All you need to do is look. I knew zero about FB, had zero tutoring
and yet I managed to figure it out. My friends PM me asking how to do
FB things now.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 18:49:20 -0700, graham > wrote:

> Yeah! I had to google the method to extricate myself!

Their search function sucks. I read yesterday that they are finally
cutting their ties with Bing and it's about time.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Correct I heard Zuckerberg himself describing it 'as if you had drawn
>>> a curtain over it' -
>>>

>> It's been a while but I remember there were two options. Deactivate
>> account and Delete account. They made Delete account very hard to find.
>> Program wise they are probably the same thing. I won't be signing in
>> to find out.
>>
>> Jill

> I deleted it! But AIUI it's effectively dormant!
> Graham

Why are you worried about it? Just don't use FB. <shrug>

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/01/2015 3:08 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 16:58:12 -0700, graham > wrote:

>>> I've set my preferences to _not_ notify me of 'updates'. _I_ decide what
>>> I want to look at.
>>> I don't allow FB access to my e-mail address book.

>> When I joined, I knew nothing of those "on-off switches".

> All you need to do is look. I knew zero about FB, had zero tutoring
> and yet I managed to figure it out. My friends PM me asking how to do
> FB things now.

A bit of curiousity gets you a long way! ;-)

--

Xeno.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/01/2015 3:10 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 18:49:20 -0700, graham > wrote:
>
>> Yeah! I had to google the method to extricate myself!

> Their search function sucks. I read yesterday that they are finally
> cutting their ties with Bing and it's about time.

Definitely, Bing (a Micro$oft product) sucks big time.

--

Xeno.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Invasive is the perfect word. You'll find people who will say just
>>> set up a free unused email account for FB. IMHO, that should not be
>>> necessary.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> You would be surprised

> No, I wouldn't.
>
>> just how much info can be gleaned by the data
>> mining bots just from what you AND your friends put in there. Even with
>> my munged name and personal details, I am still surprised at who pops up
>> as suggested friends... scary really. My advice, create a dummy account
>> - full of incorrect info, even your name... then just advise friends you
>> want to have as to the situation. It works (mostly) for me.
>>

> Why bother? Lots of us have no interest in FB so we're certainly not
> going to create dummy accounts to sign up. Again. Dumped it, won't be
> going back.
>
> Jill

I initially got on it because my sister kept sending me links that ONLY
worked in Facebook and only worked if you had an account. That's why I
initially used fake data and that has proven a blessing. I use it
primarily to keep up with what my sister and her children are up to. I
must say, I would never post the sort of stuff they post - way too personal.
I have also caught up to a few of my old school friends, the ones I
liked, through FB so it's not all bad. Depends on how you control it I
suppose.

--

Xeno.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 04 Jan 2015 15:58:06 +1100, Xeno >
wrote:

> I have also caught up to a few of my old school friends, the ones I
> liked, through FB so it's not all bad. Depends on how you control it I
> suppose.

Me too. I found everyone I wanted to find from elementary and high
school.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> Why are you worried about it? Just don't use FB. <shrug>
>
> Jill

I don't have any reason to use FB. All of the people that I cared about from
the old days I've kept up with in my life, and the rest...I'm not really
interested in. My family sends me pics, news, etc. and I really have no need
to know what they're doing every minute of every day, but for people that
enjoy it, I think it's a good thing. :-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Invasive is the perfect word. You'll find people who will say just
>>> set up a free unused email account for FB. IMHO, that should not be
>>> necessary.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> You would be surprised

> No, I wouldn't.
>
>> just how much info can be gleaned by the data
>> mining bots just from what you AND your friends put in there. Even with
>> my munged name and personal details, I am still surprised at who pops up
>> as suggested friends... scary really. My advice, create a dummy account
>> - full of incorrect info, even your name... then just advise friends you
>> want to have as to the situation. It works (mostly) for me.
>>

> Why bother? Lots of us have no interest in FB so we're certainly not
> going to create dummy accounts to sign up. Again. Dumped it, won't be
> going back.

I love and have no problems with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>
>> Why are you worried about it? Just don't use FB. <shrug>
>>
>> Jill

> I don't have any reason to use FB. All of the people that I cared about
> from the old days I've kept up with in my life, and the rest...I'm not
> really interested in. My family sends me pics, news, etc. and I really
> have no need to know what they're doing every minute of every day, but for
> people that enjoy it, I think it's a good thing. :-)

I like that I can catch up with what people are doing in just a few minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 21:49:24 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 04 Jan 2015 15:58:06 +1100, Xeno >
>>wrote:
>>
>>> I have also caught up to a few of my old school friends, the ones I
>>> liked, through FB so it's not all bad. Depends on how you control it I
>>> suppose.

>>Me too. I found everyone I wanted to find from elementary and high
>>school.

> I found everybody too, but I didn't tell them.
>
> --
> Bruce

LOL, once a long time ago I looked up an old friend that was a good chum
from the 4th grade to the 8th grade (before computers and such) The person
was an absolute sponge as an adult, quite revolting actually. We had a hard
time getting this person out of our house. Lesson learned, that was enough.
:-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Why are you worried about it? Just don't use FB. <shrug>
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I don't have any reason to use FB. All of the people that I cared about
>> from the old days I've kept up with in my life, and the rest...I'm not
>> really interested in. My family sends me pics, news, etc. and I really
>> have no need to know what they're doing every minute of every day, but
>> for people that enjoy it, I think it's a good thing. :-)

> I like that I can catch up with what people are doing in just a few
> minutes.

Then, it's a good thing for you, and obviously for the millions that use it.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 3, 2015 6:14:08 AM UTC-8, pltrgyst wrote:

> I miss Amos.

At least he's still Famous.

I miss Otis Spunkmayer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> On 03/01/2015 3:00 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
>> On 1/3/2015 3:39 PM, graham wrote:
>>
>>> I joined briefly because the UK food group migrated to FB. I quit due to
>>> the constant barrage of "friending" suggestions (mined from my e-mail
>>> address book!) and the damned updates. Every time someone farted they
>>> updated their page which warranted a missive from FB.
>>> A lot of Canadian newspapers now use FB for commenting so I'm shut out
>>> of those as well.
>>>

>> I've set my preferences to _not_ notify me of 'updates'. _I_ decide what
>> I want to look at.
>> I don't allow FB access to my e-mail address book.

> When I joined, I knew nothing of those "on-off switches".

Nor did I! I joined and immediately got inundated with 'stuff' I didn't
know what 'friended' was and I didn't want to know. I never went back and
for a long time I still got that stuff but over the years it has stopped. I
wouldn't know how to get back in and even if I did, I don't remember my
password. No, too invasive for me.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 1/3/2015 4:17 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 12:13:21 -0500, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:

>>> Well, it's true that a lot of people have migrated to facebook
>>> but the ones that upset me are the ones who have passed away.

>> I'd better be nice to you.

> (laugh!) Very clever. Guess my wording could use a little work.

Nothing wrong with your wording, take no notice of that cheeky Bruce)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> I don't have any reason to use FB. All of the people that I cared about
>>> from the old days I've kept up with in my life, and the rest...I'm not
>>> really interested in. My family sends me pics, news, etc. and I really
>>> have no need to know what they're doing every minute of every day, but
>>> for people that enjoy it, I think it's a good thing. :-)

>> I like that I can catch up with what people are doing in just a few
>> minutes.

> Then, it's a good thing for you, and obviously for the millions that use
> it.

Yes. I have many friends and relatives all over the country. So it does
work well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/4/2015 1:27 AM, Cheri wrote:

> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 21:49:24 -0800, sf > wrote:

>>> Me too. I found everyone I wanted to find from elementary and high
>>> school.

>> I found everybody too, but I didn't tell them.
>>
>> --
>> Bruce

> LOL, once a long time ago I looked up an old friend that was a good chum
> from the 4th grade to the 8th grade (before computers and such) The
> person was an absolute sponge as an adult, quite revolting actually. We
> had a hard time getting this person out of our house. Lesson learned,
> that was enough. :-)
>
> Cheri

I found someone who was a friend from HS, she'd turned into a bible
thumping holy roller. Yowsa!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/4/2015 1:15 AM, Cheri wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>
>> Why are you worried about it? Just don't use FB. <shrug>
>>
>> Jill

> I don't have any reason to use FB. All of the people that I cared about
> from the old days I've kept up with in my life, and the rest...I'm not
> really interested in. My family sends me pics, news, etc. and I really
> have no need to know what they're doing every minute of every day, but
> for people that enjoy it, I think it's a good thing. :-)
>
> Cheri

Certainly if someone enjoys FB, great. I keep in touch with friends and
family via email. My two elderly aunts don't do computers so we talk on
the phone from time to time. Works for me.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/4/2015 6:07 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>> On 1/3/2015 4:17 PM, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 12:13:21 -0500, Nancy Young

>>> I'd better be nice to you.

>> (laugh!) Very clever. Guess my wording could use a little work.

> Nothing wrong with your wording, take no notice of that cheeky Bruce)

Maybe I should say that the people I'm upset about missing are
most assuredly not on facebook.

nancy

OT - Miss me? ;-) Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 28 16-12-2006 08:08 AM
miss me? ~*~ Bunny ~*~ Recipes 0 25-10-2004 06:54 AM
Miss me? Steve Wertz Barbecue 6 12-01-2004 05:38 PM