Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Moose leg steaks

Bought some today in Lidl. Has anyone here cooked moose and if so, what did
you do with it?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 13:29:58 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>>Bought some today in Lidl. Has anyone here cooked moose and if so, what
>>did
>>you do with it?

> Much richer than beef, wonderful flavour, cook as per roast beef.

Thanks)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/22/2014 7:39 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 13:29:58 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Bought some today in Lidl. Has anyone here cooked moose and if so,
>>> what did
>>> you do with it?

>> Much richer than beef, wonderful flavour, cook as per roast beef.

> Thanks)

Just thinking about the comments Moosemeat would have made it he was here.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca EmaNymton" > wrote in message
> On 12/22/2014 7:39 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> > wrote in message
>>> On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 13:29:58 -0000, "Ophelia"

>>> Much richer than beef, wonderful flavour, cook as per roast beef.

>> Thanks)

> Just thinking about the comments Moosemeat would have made it he was here.

lol that was a blast from the past) I dread to think

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 13:29:58 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>Bought some today in Lidl. Has anyone here cooked moose and if so, what did
>you do with it?

It has been a long time; more than 50 years, but we had a freezer full
of moose/cariboo/game fish every year in Alaska. My recollection is
that the moose was very lean and so a lot of the things my mother made
were either braised or used other things for larding, or otherwise
adding fat.

The other fact of life is that a moose is very large and so there is a
lot of it that is not exactly prime rib roast. For us, many of the
scraps ended up in sausage (mixed with pork for fat) and, my personal
favorite, moose mince meat. I would love to have one of the mince
meat pies from the winters of the late '50s.

Hope you enjoyed your moose. Let us know how it turned out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"B. Server" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 13:29:58 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>>Bought some today in Lidl. Has anyone here cooked moose and if so, what
>>did
>>you do with it?

> It has been a long time; more than 50 years, but we had a freezer full
> of moose/cariboo/game fish every year in Alaska. My recollection is
> that the moose was very lean and so a lot of the things my mother made
> were either braised or used other things for larding, or otherwise
> adding fat.

Right. That is good to know!!! I won't be doing anything with it until
after Christmas though so any other info you can give me will be very
welcome)

> The other fact of life is that a moose is very large and so there is a
> lot of it that is not exactly prime rib roast. For us, many of the
> scraps ended up in sausage (mixed with pork for fat) and, my personal
> favorite, moose mince meat. I would love to have one of the mince
> meat pies from the winters of the late '50s.

These are leg steaks. Would you mince them??

> Hope you enjoyed your moose. Let us know how it turned out.

Thank you for your recollections If any more occur to you please share?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sorry. Traveling over the holiday.

If it were me, I would try to cook it like a roast or a steak, very
much on the rare side, and if it turns out too tough, slice it thinly
and try a different technique on a subsequent purchase. You've
probably already cooked it by now. How did you do it and how did it
turn out? Did you like it?

As to the mince. No I would not do that to a "steak" or steak-like
cut. But a fully grown moose is as large as a horse, so there is a
lot of room for the creative use of the odd bits. I recall that I did
not like the moose liver at all, though I'm generally not picky about
liver if cooked lightly. We did not do much in the way of chile then,
but it would have been an excellent use. The Alaskan climate did not
lend itself to cured dried sausages, so I can't say how they might be.
The fresh sausage we made and froze was very good as were the moose
equivalent of osso buco and lamb shanks.

Is moose being raised for slaughter in Scotland or is it imported?

.. On Thu, 25 Dec 2014 11:05:58 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"B. Server" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 13:29:58 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Bought some today in Lidl. Has anyone here cooked moose and if so, what
>>>did
>>>you do with it?

>> It has been a long time; more than 50 years, but we had a freezer full
>> of moose/cariboo/game fish every year in Alaska. My recollection is
>> that the moose was very lean and so a lot of the things my mother made
>> were either braised or used other things for larding, or otherwise
>> adding fat.

>Right. That is good to know!!! I won't be doing anything with it until
>after Christmas though so any other info you can give me will be very
>welcome)
>

>> The other fact of life is that a moose is very large and so there is a
>> lot of it that is not exactly prime rib roast. For us, many of the
>> scraps ended up in sausage (mixed with pork for fat) and, my personal
>> favorite, moose mince meat. I would love to have one of the mince
>> meat pies from the winters of the late '50s.

>These are leg steaks. Would you mince them??
>
>> Hope you enjoyed your moose. Let us know how it turned out.

>Thank you for your recollections If any more occur to you please share?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"B. Server" > wrote in message
> Sorry. Traveling over the holiday.
>
> If it were me, I would try to cook it like a roast or a steak, very
> much on the rare side, and if it turns out too tough, slice it thinly
> and try a different technique on a subsequent purchase. You've
> probably already cooked it by now. How did you do it and how did it
> turn out? Did you like it?

No, not cooked yet. Too much else foodwise going on)

> As to the mince. No I would not do that to a "steak" or steak-like
> cut. But a fully grown moose is as large as a horse, so there is a
> lot of room for the creative use of the odd bits. I recall that I did
> not like the moose liver at all, though I'm generally not picky about
> liver if cooked lightly. We did not do much in the way of chile then,
> but it would have been an excellent use. The Alaskan climate did not
> lend itself to cured dried sausages, so I can't say how they might be.
> The fresh sausage we made and froze was very good as were the moose
> equivalent of osso buco and lamb shanks.
>
> Is moose being raised for slaughter in Scotland or is it imported?

We have no moose so all imported.

> . On Thu, 25 Dec 2014 11:05:58 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

. ..