Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default tube pans?

I'm trying to follow ChrisD's fruitcake recipe. Got everything but
the pans. I wanna try her recipe in loaf pans, as "tube pans" are
damn pricey. You can get loaf pans in alum disposable for dirt cheap,
so I'm looking fer info on loaf pans. What say thee, baking
brethren?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> I'm trying to follow ChrisD's fruitcake recipe. Got everything but
> the pans. I wanna try her recipe in loaf pans, as "tube pans" are
> damn pricey. You can get loaf pans in alum disposable for dirt cheap,
> so I'm looking fer info on loaf pans. What say thee, baking
> brethren?
>
> nb

When I made fruitcakes, my recipe made so many that I baked them in anything
I could find. Sometimes even in old, washed out cans. My recipe called for
the cakes to be baked for a very long time at a low temp. so it was pretty
hard to overbake them. Plus I have sort of a knack of knowing when food is
done by the way that it smells.

Still though, I would do my best attempt to determine when the cakes might
be done and set the timer for 10 minutes before then just to make sure. And
from there I would just check them often and pull them out when done.

But one thing to keep in mind is that foil pans are thin. So put them on a
cookie sheet and you may need to line your pans with parchment paper. I
would probably use a double thickness for a foil pan.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:53:52 PM UTC-6, notbob wrote:

> I'm trying to follow ChrisD's fruitcake recipe. Got everything but
> the pans. I wanna try her recipe in loaf pans, as "tube pans" are
> damn pricey.
>
> nb

Tube pans are pricey???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message news:54917850$0$32992$b1db1813

> I see you have already gotten a number of helpful replies; however, an
> important one (perhaps the most important one) is missing - that will be
> my
> contribution ?-)
>
> You can easily make disposable aluminum loaf pans; I cannot imagine why
> anyone would buy them. They are so easy and much cheaper than that
> pre-fab
> crap sold in stores. Only a slothful person, or mental defective, would
> buy
> that junk instead of making their own. What could be easier than tearing
> off a sheet of aluminum foil, crimping and folding, nipping and tucking?
> Heck, with a sheet metal brake, crimping tool and a sheet of aluminum from
> Home Depot, you can make the best re-usable loaf pan in the universe.
>
> Have a nice day 8-)

LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 10:53:52 PM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
> I'm trying to follow ChrisD's fruitcake recipe. Got everything but
> the pans. I wanna try her recipe in loaf pans, as "tube pans" are
> damn pricey. You can get loaf pans in alum disposable for dirt cheap,
> so I'm looking fer info on loaf pans. What say thee, baking
> brethren?
>
> nb

I have a tube pan I haven't used in years. Thanks for reminding me to donate it.

Meanwhile, cantcha just use the ol toothpick method for doneness?

As to disposables, think upon the enviro impact.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

>notbob wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to follow ChrisD's fruitcake recipe. Got everything but
>> the pans. I wanna try her recipe in loaf pans, as "tube pans" are
>> damn pricey. You can get loaf pans in alum disposable for dirt cheap,
>> so I'm looking fer info on loaf pans. What say thee, baking
>> brethren?

>What's there to NOT know about loaf pans? Other than only fools buy
>the disposable ones.
>
>How many threads are you going to start about this damned fruitcake?
>Just ****ing do it already, will ya?

If he can't afford the pan then he certainly can't afford the
fruitcake ingredients. WTF is so pricey about tube pans anyway, if
you're not real fussy buy used, I see them at yard sales often for a
buck or two... perfectly okay only somene used them once, maybe twice
in twenty years. Used bakeware is common for cheap at thrift stores
too. Even brand spankin' new they are nowhere near "damn pricey":
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...words=tube+pan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 06:27:54 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "l not -l" > wrote in message news:54917850$0$32992$b1db1813
>
> > I see you have already gotten a number of helpful replies; however, an
> > important one (perhaps the most important one) is missing - that will be
> > my
> > contribution ?-)
> >
> > You can easily make disposable aluminum loaf pans; I cannot imagine why
> > anyone would buy them. They are so easy and much cheaper than that
> > pre-fab
> > crap sold in stores. Only a slothful person, or mental defective, would
> > buy
> > that junk instead of making their own. What could be easier than tearing
> > off a sheet of aluminum foil, crimping and folding, nipping and tucking?
> > Heck, with a sheet metal brake, crimping tool and a sheet of aluminum from
> > Home Depot, you can make the best re-usable loaf pan in the universe.
> >
> > Have a nice day 8-)

> LOL

I'm sure nb will get right on it - after Home Depot stocks food grade
aluminum. He's handy like that.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 12:34:14 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 16-Dec-2014, notbob > wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to follow ChrisD's fruitcake recipe. Got everything but
>> the pans. I wanna try her recipe in loaf pans, as "tube pans" are
>> damn pricey. You can get loaf pans in alum disposable for dirt cheap,
>> so I'm looking fer info on loaf pans. What say thee, baking
>> brethren?
>>
>> nb

>I see you have already gotten a number of helpful replies; however, an
>important one (perhaps the most important one) is missing - that will be my
>contribution ?-)
>
>You can easily make disposable aluminum loaf pans; I cannot imagine why
>anyone would buy them. They are so easy and much cheaper than that pre-fab
>crap sold in stores. Only a slothful person, or mental defective, would buy
>that junk instead of making their own. What could be easier than tearing
>off a sheet of aluminum foil, crimping and folding, nipping and tucking?
>Heck, with a sheet metal brake, crimping tool and a sheet of aluminum from
>Home Depot, you can make the best re-usable loaf pan in the universe.

Even easier, he can use his head as a mold to form the aluminum foil,
and it already has that tube hole where normal folks have a brain.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 06:34:14 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 10:53:52 PM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
>> I'm trying to follow ChrisD's fruitcake recipe. Got everything but
>> the pans. I wanna try her recipe in loaf pans, as "tube pans" are
>> damn pricey. You can get loaf pans in alum disposable for dirt cheap,
>> so I'm looking fer info on loaf pans. What say thee, baking
>> brethren?
>>
>> nb

>I have a tube pan I haven't used in years. Thanks for reminding me to donate it.
>Meanwhile, cantcha just use the ol toothpick method for doneness?
>As to disposables, think upon the enviro impact.

Can actually make ones own for the price of one pop-rivet, from one
large and one small coffee can.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message
web.com...

> On 16-Dec-2014, notbob > wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to follow ChrisD's fruitcake recipe. Got everything but
>> the pans. I wanna try her recipe in loaf pans, as "tube pans" are
>> damn pricey. You can get loaf pans in alum disposable for dirt cheap,
>> so I'm looking fer info on loaf pans. What say thee, baking
>> brethren?
>>
>> nb

> I see you have already gotten a number of helpful replies; however, an
> important one (perhaps the most important one) is missing - that will be
> my
> contribution ?-)
>
> You can easily make disposable aluminum loaf pans; I cannot imagine why
> anyone would buy them. They are so easy and much cheaper than that
> pre-fab
> crap sold in stores. Only a slothful person, or mental defective, would
> buy
> that junk instead of making their own. What could be easier than tearing
> off a sheet of aluminum foil, crimping and folding, nipping and tucking?
> Heck, with a sheet metal brake, crimping tool and a sheet of aluminum from
> Home Depot, you can make the best re-usable loaf pan in the universe.
>
> Have a nice day 8-)

Foil pans are super cheap at the dollar store.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> > You can pick up some pretty cheap tube pans at any big box store that
> > sells cookware.

> I don't know about that. I bought a Bundt pan once and it wasn't cheap!

A bundt pan is not a tube pan. A tube pan
is made out of sheet metal, usually uncoated.
A bundt pan is a heavy cast pan, usually
with a non-stick coating (and the cake
usually sticks anyway).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2014 9:00 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> You can pick up some pretty cheap tube pans at any big box store that
>>> sells cookware.

>> I don't know about that. I bought a Bundt pan once and it wasn't cheap!

We can't help it if you pay too much money for things. Please feel free
to lash back saying you can spend your money any way you wish. Just
don't bitch about the price simply because you don't know how to find an
inexpensive piece of cookware.

> A bundt pan is not a tube pan. A tube pan
> is made out of sheet metal, usually uncoated.
> A bundt pan is a heavy cast pan, usually
> with a non-stick coating (and the cake
> usually sticks anyway).

I have a "non-stick" bundt pan like that, Mark. I really should add
it to the stack of items I'm donating. It's only been used a couple of
times and likely never again.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2014 1:32 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 06:34:14 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 10:53:52 PM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
>>> I'm trying to follow ChrisD's fruitcake recipe. Got everything but
>>> the pans. I wanna try her recipe in loaf pans, as "tube pans" are
>>> damn pricey. You can get loaf pans in alum disposable for dirt cheap,
>>> so I'm looking fer info on loaf pans. What say thee, baking
>>> brethren?
>>>
>>> nb

>> I have a tube pan I haven't used in years. Thanks for reminding me to donate it.

> Can actually make ones own for the price of one pop-rivet, from one
> large and one small coffee can.

Yeah... we're all going to do that.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2014 9:34 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 10:53:52 PM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
>> I'm trying to follow ChrisD's fruitcake recipe. Got everything but
>> the pans. I wanna try her recipe in loaf pans, as "tube pans" are
>> damn pricey. You can get loaf pans in alum disposable for dirt cheap,
>> so I'm looking fer info on loaf pans. What say thee, baking
>> brethren?
>>
>> nb

> I have a tube pan I haven't used in years. Thanks for reminding me to donate it.
>
> Meanwhile, cantcha just use the ol toothpick method for doneness?

Um, he wasn't asking about how to test for doneness. I was under the
impression he wants to buy inexpensive (not disposable) loaf pans and
was asking for recommendations.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2014 10:53 PM, notbob wrote:
> I'm trying to follow ChrisD's fruitcake recipe. Got everything but
> the pans. I wanna try her recipe in loaf pans, as "tube pans" are
> damn pricey. You can get loaf pans in alum disposable for dirt cheap,
> so I'm looking fer info on loaf pans. What say thee, baking
> brethren?
>
> nb

Where are you looking for these tube pans? I realize you're in a tad
rural area (as am I). But surely there's a big box store somewhere
nearby that sells them at a reasonable price. The same should hold true
for finding perfectly functional inexpensive loaf pans. Or you could
look around online. You don't have to shop at Williams Sonoma to find
them.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 17, 2014 5:25:18 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> >>

> > You can pick up some pretty cheap tube pans at any big box store that
> > sells cookware.

> I don't know about that. I bought a Bundt pan once and it wasn't cheap!

A bundt pan is not the same thing as a tube pan even though both have the center tube.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> > You can pick up some pretty cheap tube pans at any big box store that
>> > sells cookware.

>> I don't know about that. I bought a Bundt pan once and it wasn't cheap!

> A bundt pan is not a tube pan. A tube pan
> is made out of sheet metal, usually uncoated.
> A bundt pan is a heavy cast pan, usually
> with a non-stick coating (and the cake
> usually sticks anyway).

I know. I never shopped for a tube pan so don't know how much they cost.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/17/2014 9:00 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I don't know about that. I bought a Bundt pan once and it wasn't cheap!

> We can't help it if you pay too much money for things. Please feel free
> to lash back saying you can spend your money any way you wish. Just don't
> bitch about the price simply because you don't know how to find an
> inexpensive piece of cookware.

Oh? So where can you get a cheap Bundt pan? I got mine at the military
commissary. That's the only place I could find one.

>> A bundt pan is not a tube pan. A tube pan
>> is made out of sheet metal, usually uncoated.
>> A bundt pan is a heavy cast pan, usually
>> with a non-stick coating (and the cake
>> usually sticks anyway).
>>

> I have a "non-stick" bundt pan like that, Mark. I really should add it
> to the stack of items I'm donating. It's only been used a couple of times
> and likely never again.

I don't think I have mine any more. I used it once.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/16/2014 10:53 PM, notbob wrote:
>> I'm trying to follow ChrisD's fruitcake recipe. Got everything but
>> the pans. I wanna try her recipe in loaf pans, as "tube pans" are
>> damn pricey. You can get loaf pans in alum disposable for dirt cheap,
>> so I'm looking fer info on loaf pans. What say thee, baking
>> brethren?
>>
>> nb
>>

> Where are you looking for these tube pans? I realize you're in a tad
> rural area (as am I). But surely there's a big box store somewhere nearby
> that sells them at a reasonable price. The same should hold true for
> finding perfectly functional inexpensive loaf pans. Or you could look
> around online. You don't have to shop at Williams Sonoma to find them.
>
> Jill

I am looking at Amazon where according to the search terms a Bundt pan is in
fact a tube pan. These prices don't look cheap to me. Cheap to me is $3
for a pan. These are nowhere close.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wednesday, December 17, 2014 5:25:18 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> >>
>> > You can pick up some pretty cheap tube pans at any big box store that
>> > sells cookware.

>> I don't know about that. I bought a Bundt pan once and it wasn't cheap!
>>

> A bundt pan is not the same thing as a tube pan even though both have the
> center tube.

I know but I am looking at both at Amazon as I type this and they sell for
the same prices.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-18, jmcquown > wrote:

> rural area (as am I). But surely there's a big box store somewhere
> nearby that sells them at a reasonable price.

One would think! I've yet to find one under $10 and I need two. Yet,
I can buy 4 tossable bread pans for about $2. My $$$$ spending days
are over and the ingredients cost a lot. Dried sour cherries were $20
lb!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 03:21:32 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"jmcquown" > wrote in message

>> We can't help it if you pay too much money for things. Please feel free
>> to lash back saying you can spend your money any way you wish. Just don't
>> bitch about the price simply because you don't know how to find an
>> inexpensive piece of cookware.

>Oh? So where can you get a cheap Bundt pan? I got mine at the military
>commissary. That's the only place I could find one.

In Canada, all of the hardware stores and places like Sears sell them.

Canadian Tire has a Lagostina pan on sale at the moment for $11.99,
and Home Hardware has a flexible silicone one for $9.99.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 11:52:55 -0500, Doris Night
> wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 03:21:32 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

> >> We can't help it if you pay too much money for things. Please feel free
> >> to lash back saying you can spend your money any way you wish. Just don't
> >> bitch about the price simply because you don't know how to find an
> >> inexpensive piece of cookware.

> >Oh? So where can you get a cheap Bundt pan? I got mine at the military
> >commissary. That's the only place I could find one.

> In Canada, all of the hardware stores and places like Sears sell them.
>
> Canadian Tire has a Lagostina pan on sale at the moment for $11.99,
> and Home Hardware has a flexible silicone one for $9.99.

I wonder if he could pick up a couple of tube pans at garage sales or
second hand shops?

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote:

>I am looking at Amazon where according to the search terms a Bundt pan is in
>fact a tube pan.

You're obiously a net shopping newbie... when searching on the net for
"tube pan" ALL pans with a tube will come up including anything
remotely related (perhaps an inner tube, tube socks, even books about
tubing), you were obviously never in retail or you'd know that's
marketing.

>These prices don't look cheap to me. Cheap to me is $3
>for a pan. These are nowhere close.

I was in town this morning to get my mail so since I pass the thrift
shop I stopped in... they had four different tube pans, $1 per, all
very serviceable. I bought two very nice crib blankies for my outside
cats, 50¢ each, they're in the washing machine now. Thrift shops are
a great resource, especially for housewares.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 20:33:09 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, December 17, 2014 5:25:18 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> >>
>> > You can pick up some pretty cheap tube pans at any big box store that
>> > sells cookware.

>> I don't know about that. I bought a Bundt pan once and it wasn't cheap!
>>

>A bundt pan is not the same thing as a tube pan even though both have the center tube.

One can find very inexpensive Bundt-style pans too, less than $10.
"Bundt" is a registered trademark, owned by Nordicware, they designed
the first Bundt pan... only Nordicware makes a correctly configured
Bundt pan, all others are poor copys... unless yours is Nordicware you
don't have a Bundt pan and you cannot bake a Bundt cake.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 03:25:58 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> wrote in message

>>> I don't know about that. I bought a Bundt pan once and it wasn't cheap!
>>>

>> A bundt pan is not the same thing as a tube pan even though both have the
>> center tube.

>I know but I am looking at both at Amazon as I type this and they sell for
>the same prices.

No they do not, they sell for all different prices... actually one can
buy a tube pan that costs triple the price of a Nordicware Bundt pan.
http://www.amazon.com/Kaiser-Bakewar...ords=tube+pans

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 18, 2014 6:21:41 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

> > We can't help it if you pay too much money for things. Please feel free
> > to lash back saying you can spend your money any way you wish. Just don't
> > bitch about the price simply because you don't know how to find an
> > inexpensive piece of cookware.

> Oh? So where can you get a cheap Bundt pan? I got mine at the military
> commissary. That's the only place I could find one.
> >
> >> A bundt pan is not a tube pan. A tube pan
> >> is made out of sheet metal, usually uncoated.
> >> A bundt pan is a heavy cast pan, usually
> >> with a non-stick coating (and the cake
> >> usually sticks anyway).
> >>

> > I have a "non-stick" bundt pan like that, Mark. I really should add it
> > to the stack of items I'm donating. It's only been used a couple of times
> > and likely never again.

> I don't think I have mine any more. I used it once.

How can you not know if you still have it? Is your kitchen is that much disarray? Figures...........

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 03:21:32 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> We can't help it if you pay too much money for things. Please feel free
>>> to lash back saying you can spend your money any way you wish. Just
>>> don't
>>> bitch about the price simply because you don't know how to find an
>>> inexpensive piece of cookware.

>>Oh? So where can you get a cheap Bundt pan? I got mine at the military
>>commissary. That's the only place I could find one.

> In Canada, all of the hardware stores and places like Sears sell them.
>
> Canadian Tire has a Lagostina pan on sale at the moment for $11.99,
> and Home Hardware has a flexible silicone one for $9.99.

To me that's not cheap!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/18/2014 11:52 AM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 03:21:32 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> We can't help it if you pay too much money for things. Please feel free
>>> to lash back saying you can spend your money any way you wish. Just don't
>>> bitch about the price simply because you don't know how to find an
>>> inexpensive piece of cookware.

>> Oh? So where can you get a cheap Bundt pan? I got mine at the military
>> commissary. That's the only place I could find one.

What happened to your love of shopping online?!

> In Canada, all of the hardware stores and places like Sears sell them.
>
> Canadian Tire has a Lagostina pan on sale at the moment for $11.99,
> and Home Hardware has a flexible silicone one for $9.99.
>
> Doris

Any big box store like Target or Walmart would have them in the US.
Probably also dollar stores.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 14:44:56 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Doris Night" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 03:21:32 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>Oh? So where can you get a cheap Bundt pan? I got mine at the military
>>>commissary. That's the only place I could find one.

>> In Canada, all of the hardware stores and places like Sears sell them.
>>
>> Canadian Tire has a Lagostina pan on sale at the moment for $11.99,
>> and Home Hardware has a flexible silicone one for $9.99.

>To me that's not cheap!

You think $10 is too much... then your ass is cheap, $2 a pop!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie, Amazon can add whatever they want to search engines, but a tube pan has straight sides, not
fluted, and is used for things like Angel Food Cake. A Bundt pan has sloped, fluted sides and is
used for Bundt cakes and coffee cakes and even Monkey Bread. They both have center tubes, but
are NOT the same.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/18/2014 10:35 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-12-18, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> rural area (as am I). But surely there's a big box store somewhere
>> nearby that sells them at a reasonable price.

> One would think! I've yet to find one under $10 and I need two. Yet,
> I can buy 4 tossable bread pans for about $2. My $$$$ spending days
> are over and the ingredients cost a lot. Dried sour cherries were $20
> lb!
>
> nb

So go for the disposable loaf pans. You don't even know if you're going
to like this fruitcake.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 18, 2014 6:08:52 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/18/2014 11:52 AM, Doris Night wrote:
> > On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 03:21:32 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:

> >> Oh? So where can you get a cheap Bundt pan? I got mine at the military
> >> commissary. That's the only place I could find one.

> What happened to your love of shopping online?!

Jill: You'd have done well as a prosecutor. Good skills at remembering testimony and cross-exam.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/18/2014 1:12 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>>
>> I am looking at Amazon where according to the search terms a Bundt pan is in
>> fact a tube pan.

> You're obiously a net shopping newbie... when searching on the net for
> "tube pan" ALL pans with a tube will come up including anything
> remotely related (perhaps an inner tube, tube socks, even books about
> tubing), you were obviously never in retail or you'd know that's
> marketing.

Sheldon, she says she worked at KMart. This was probably before the
advent of online shopping and certainly before Amazon anything.

Anyone who does a computer search for anything should know all sorts of
unrelated crap comes up. You have to filter your query to weed out the
garbage. As you say, it's advertising.

Looking at images does show bundt as well as tube pans. But even I, who
doesn't bake cakes, know they aren't the same thing. Someone else
described a tube pan as the pan made for angel food cake. That's
exactly right and it sure isn't a bundt pan.

>> These prices don't look cheap to me. Cheap to me is $3
>> for a pan. These are nowhere close.

> I was in town this morning to get my mail so since I pass the thrift
> shop I stopped in... they had four different tube pans, $1 per, all
> very serviceable. I bought two very nice crib blankies for my outside
> cats, 50¢ each, they're in the washing machine now. Thrift shops are
> a great resource, especially for housewares.

Yep, thrift shops would be a good place to look. Even in my small area
there's a Goodwill store and a Salvation Army shop. There are probably
some smaller thrifts scattered around, too.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 19:32:29 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 12/18/2014 10:35 AM, notbob wrote:
> > On 2014-12-18, jmcquown > wrote:
> >
> >> rural area (as am I). But surely there's a big box store somewhere
> >> nearby that sells them at a reasonable price.

> > One would think! I've yet to find one under $10 and I need two. Yet,
> > I can buy 4 tossable bread pans for about $2. My $$$$ spending days
> > are over and the ingredients cost a lot. Dried sour cherries were $20
> > lb!
> >
> > nb
> >

> So go for the disposable loaf pans. You don't even know if you're going
> to like this fruitcake.

Makes them easier to give as gifts too. How much fruitcake is one
person going to eat?

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 14:44:56 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Doris Night" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 03:21:32 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>Oh? So where can you get a cheap Bundt pan? I got mine at the military
>>>commissary. That's the only place I could find one.

>> In Canada, all of the hardware stores and places like Sears sell them.
>>
>> Canadian Tire has a Lagostina pan on sale at the moment for $11.99,
>> and Home Hardware has a flexible silicone one for $9.99.

>To me that's not cheap!

Well, they aren't cheap pans. And besides, that's in Cdn$.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, December 18, 2014 6:21:41 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

>> > We can't help it if you pay too much money for things. Please feel
>> > free
>> > to lash back saying you can spend your money any way you wish. Just
>> > don't
>> > bitch about the price simply because you don't know how to find an
>> > inexpensive piece of cookware.

>> Oh? So where can you get a cheap Bundt pan? I got mine at the military
>> commissary. That's the only place I could find one.

>> > I have a "non-stick" bundt pan like that, Mark. I really should add
>> > it
>> > to the stack of items I'm donating. It's only been used a couple of
>> > times
>> > and likely never again.

>> I don't think I have mine any more. I used it once.

> How can you not know if you still have it? Is your kitchen is that much
> disarray? Figures...........

If I do have it, it is in the cupboard of rarely used things. My large
roasting pan is in there as well as my juicer and assorted cake pans. It is
not a standard cupboard and has pullouts which I do not like to pull out
because each time I do, things bail off the back and I have to resort to
sitting on the floor with a flashlight and reaching tool to get them out. I
know that I got rid of my popsicle molds and my pancake and tortilla warmers
as well as a ton of assorted plastic things. I don't go into that cupboard
unless I need something specific and I haven't needed that pan since we
moved here. I think I got rid of it but am not certain on that. I am also
not going to go digging in there to look for it just to satisfy you.

I did keep most of my cake pans because they are good ones and would be
expensive to replace. I do bake things once in a great while. The Bundt
pan was purchased to make a Bohemian Popcorn cake for a Coast Guard potluck.
After that, they asked that no sweets be sent in and only healthy foods sent
to potlucks. It is unlikely that my cake was the deciding factor there
though. They also asked people not to bring in leftover holiday sweets.

I also now know that to make that silly cake, the pan was likely
unnecessary. It is merely like a mixture of popcorn and melted marshmallow
stuff like you would cook up to make that kind of popcorn balls. You then
add whatever kind of candy you want as well as nuts if you desire. I'm sure
that I could have made a similar shape freeform even.

The person who gave me the recipe does not cook. She's blind. The recipe
came from her mom who is a caterer so knowing this, when I made it, I
followed the instructions. But the end result is very pretty and easily
portable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 14:44:56 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Doris Night" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 03:21:32 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> In Canada, all of the hardware stores and places like Sears sell them.
>>>
>>> Canadian Tire has a Lagostina pan on sale at the moment for $11.99,
>>> and Home Hardware has a flexible silicone one for $9.99.

>>To me that's not cheap!

> You think $10 is too much... then your ass is cheap, $2 a pop!

To me, cheap is what you buy at the dollar store. I go there for foil pans
for things I am taking somewhere or giving away. And yes, I did use those
for fruitcakes. But for most of my baking I have good quality pans, not
cheap, that I have had for years. Some are as many as 30+ years old.
They're not non-stick and they don't tarnish so I expect they will last next
to forever.