FoodBanter.com

FoodBanter.com (https://www.foodbanter.com/)
-   General Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/)
-   -   infused vodka? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/431840-re-infused-vodka.html)

Dave Smith[_8_] 09-12-2014 03:42 AM

infused vodka?
 
On 2014-05-17 12:50 PM, sf wrote:

I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
and should just be thrown out?



FWIW... I regularly make raspberry hooch using Alcool sugar and
raspberries. The recipe is a quart a quart and a pound. It sits for a
few months and then you pour it off and filter it. The colour and
flavour is infused into the alcohol. I have tried eating the leftover
berries. They are very pale and there is little raspberry taste left in
them. It is has been sucked into the booze.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
* Origin: e (1:249/999)
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92
SpaceSST BBS Usenet Fidonet Gateway

James Silverton[_4_] 09-12-2014 02:25 PM

infused vodka?
 
On 12/8/2014 10:42 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
On 2014-05-17 12:50 PM, sf wrote:

I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
and should just be thrown out?



FWIW... I regularly make raspberry hooch using Alcool sugar and
raspberries. The recipe is a quart a quart and a pound. It sits for a
few months and then you pour it off and filter it. The colour and
flavour is infused into the alcohol. I have tried eating the leftover
berries. They are very pale and there is little raspberry taste left in
them. It is has been sucked into the booze.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
* Origin: e (1:249/999)
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92
SpaceSST BBS Usenet Fidonet Gateway

I quite like pepper vodka ie. infused with *hot* peppers. I did once try
a little of the pepper after infusing and there was not much taste or
hotness left.

Incidentally, I drink the vodka Russian style; keep the bottle in the
freezer and quickly pour and drink a shot.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Dave Smith[_1_] 09-12-2014 10:33 PM

infused vodka?
 
On 2014-12-09 9:25 AM, James Silverton wrote:

I quite like pepper vodka ie. infused with *hot* peppers. I did once try
a little of the pepper after infusing and there was not much taste or
hotness left.

Incidentally, I drink the vodka Russian style; keep the bottle in the
freezer and quickly pour and drink a shot.


On rare occasions I have an ice cold shot of vodka. I keep it in the
freezer and pour myself about a one oz. shot. It is an interesting
sensation. I claim no expertise about vodka. Some people claim there are
differences between good vodka and cheap vodka but IFAAC, it is all
basically distilled and filtered to rid it of any tastes.

I also keep a bottle of Akvavit in the freezer and have shots of that
when we have Scandinavian visitors or to have with smoked eel.

notbob 09-12-2014 10:43 PM

infused vodka?
 
On 2014-12-09, Dave Smith wrote:


basically distilled and filtered to rid it of any tastes.


Much like freezing vodka. Ice cold liquor is not as flavorful as room
temp liquor. Why imbibers feel the need to further kill any flavor a
high-end vodka might have is beyond me. IMO, freezing a brand like
Grey Goose is hilarious. It's like, "I'll pay through the nose for
it, but I don't want to actually taste it." 8|

nb

James Silverton[_4_] 09-12-2014 11:00 PM

infused vodka?
 
On 12/9/2014 5:33 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
On 2014-12-09 9:25 AM, James Silverton wrote:

I quite like pepper vodka ie. infused with *hot* peppers. I did once try
a little of the pepper after infusing and there was not much taste or
hotness left.

Incidentally, I drink the vodka Russian style; keep the bottle in the
freezer and quickly pour and drink a shot.


On rare occasions I have an ice cold shot of vodka. I keep it in the
freezer and pour myself about a one oz. shot. It is an interesting
sensation. I claim no expertise about vodka. Some people claim there are
differences between good vodka and cheap vodka but IFAAC, it is all
basically distilled and filtered to rid it of any tastes.

I also keep a bottle of Akvavit in the freezer and have shots of that
when we have Scandinavian visitors or to have with smoked eel.


A long time ago Consumer Reports did a vodka tasting and they include a
ringer, diluted USP alcohol. Guess which the distinguished experts rated
top!

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FoodBanter