Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A Visit

A Pre Christmas Visit from The Sqwertz Dwarf:
http://i62.tinypic.com/2ia3fa9.jpg
The Sqwertz Dwarf Never Looked So Handsome:
http://i60.tinypic.com/33uvi4j.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 6:10:23 PM UTC-8, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> A Pre Christmas Visit from The Sqwertz Dwarf:
> http://i62.tinypic.com/2ia3fa9.jpg
> The Sqwertz Dwarf Never Looked So Handsome:
> http://i60.tinypic.com/33uvi4j.jpg

I love possums. They are so maligned and under appreciated. Growing up in the South we learned to appreciate them. Never ate one, though some people did.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 6:10:23 PM UTC-8, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> A Pre Christmas Visit from The Sqwertz Dwarf:
>> http://i62.tinypic.com/2ia3fa9.jpg
>> The Sqwertz Dwarf Never Looked So Handsome:
>> http://i60.tinypic.com/33uvi4j.jpg

> I love possums. They are so maligned and under appreciated. Growing up
> in the South we learned to appreciate them. Never ate one, though some
> people did.

I dislike them immensely, they're very destructive.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 8:10:23 PM UTC-6, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> A Pre Christmas Visit from The Sqwertz Dwarf:
> http://i62.tinypic.com/2ia3fa9.jpg
> The Sqwertz Dwarf Never Looked So Handsome:
> http://i60.tinypic.com/33uvi4j.jpg

Did it hiss at you??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/3/2014 11:46 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message
>> On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 6:10:23 PM UTC-8, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>> A Pre Christmas Visit from The Sqwertz Dwarf:
>>> http://i62.tinypic.com/2ia3fa9.jpg
>>> The Sqwertz Dwarf Never Looked So Handsome:
>>> http://i60.tinypic.com/33uvi4j.jpg

>> I love possums. They are so maligned and under appreciated.
>> Growing up in the South we learned to appreciate them. Never ate
>> one, though some people did.

> I dislike them immensely, they're very destructive.

How so? I'm not being snarky, I'm genuinely ignorant. I live so far
north the possums only began showing up here about a decade ago, and
they're still few and far between. So I think they're cute, and can't
understand why everyone is so hot to kill them.

A few years ago I had a pair of possums paying regular visits. The
larger one was whitish, the smaller one was darker-colored with
markings resembling spectacles around its eyes. I named them Red and
Harold.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-04 1:22 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

> How so? I'm not being snarky, I'm genuinely ignorant. I live so far
> north the possums only began showing up here about a decade ago, and
> they're still few and far between. So I think they're cute, and can't
> understand why everyone is so hot to kill them.
>
> A few years ago I had a pair of possums paying regular visits. The
> larger one was whitish, the smaller one was darker-colored with markings
> resembling spectacles around its eyes. I named them Red and Harold.

The first one I ever saw was in the 1980s. I remember one year I went
back to my barn on cold winter day and when opened the door I jumped
back at the sight of a ginormous rat with along skinny tail. It turned
out to be a opossum.

A friend of ours told us about finding a dead opossum on their deck.
She wouldn't touch a dead animal so she waited until her husband got
home so he could dispose of the dead body, but when he got home the
critter was gone. She was concerned that a dog had got hold of it. I
suggested that maybe it hadn't been dead..... that it was ..... playing
opossum.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/4/2014 2:09 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-12-04 1:22 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

>> A few years ago I had a pair of possums paying regular visits. The
>> larger one was whitish, the smaller one was darker-colored with markings
>> resembling spectacles around its eyes. I named them Red and Harold.
>>

> The first one I ever saw was in the 1980s. I remember one year I went
> back to my barn on cold winter day and when opened the door I jumped
> back at the sight of a ginormous rat with along skinny tail. It turned
> out to be a opossum.
>
> A friend of ours told us about finding a dead opossum on their deck. She
> wouldn't touch a dead animal so she waited until her husband got home so
> he could dispose of the dead body, but when he got home the critter was
> gone. She was concerned that a dog had got hold of it. I suggested that
> maybe it hadn't been dead..... that it was ..... playing opossum.

One night I had let my dog out into her little side yard and she
started barking at something. I looked to see the problem and
there was a possum on the top of the fence frozen still. One of the
legs was in midair. Comical. So I brought Rascal in and checked back
periodically to see if the thing had finally taken off. It perched
there, frozen, for the longest time. Good for a laugh, anyway.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Dec 2014 21:46:41 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
>> On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 6:10:23 PM UTC-8, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>> A Pre Christmas Visit from The Sqwertz Dwarf:
>>> http://i62.tinypic.com/2ia3fa9.jpg
>>> The Sqwertz Dwarf Never Looked So Handsome:
>>> http://i60.tinypic.com/33uvi4j.jpg

>> I love possums. They are so maligned and under appreciated. Growing up
>> in the South we learned to appreciate them. Never ate one, though some
>> people did.

>I dislike them immensely, they're very destructive.

What do possums destroy... they've been coming to my deck for years
but only to eat... they've destroyed nothing. They only come to eat
because they are hungry and I put out food... they don't even eat
much, maybe a nickle's worth of cracked corn... critters don't take
more than they need.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Dec 2014 22:42:37 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 8:10:23 PM UTC-6, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> A Pre Christmas Visit from The Sqwertz Dwarf:
>> http://i62.tinypic.com/2ia3fa9.jpg
>> The Sqwertz Dwarf Never Looked So Handsome:
>> http://i60.tinypic.com/33uvi4j.jpg
>>

>Did it hiss at you??

Was too busy eating dinner.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/4/2014 1:42 AM, wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 8:10:23 PM UTC-6, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> A Pre Christmas Visit from The Sqwertz Dwarf:

http://i62.tinypic.com/2ia3fa9.jpg
>> The Sqwertz Dwarf Never Looked So Handsome:
>> http://i60.tinypic.com/33uvi4j.jpg
>>

> Did it hiss at you??

I once was trying to trap a groundhog, those I do not want in
my yard. Managed to trap an opposum. So much for playing
dead, this thing was spitting mad, all teeth and hissing. Of
course, once the trap was opened, it stayed in there.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-04 2:56 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Dec 2014 21:46:41 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:

>>> I love possums. They are so maligned and under appreciated. Growing up
>>> in the South we learned to appreciate them. Never ate one, though some
>>> people did.

>> I dislike them immensely, they're very destructive.

> What do possums destroy... they've been coming to my deck for years
> but only to eat... they've destroyed nothing. They only come to eat
> because they are hungry and I put out food... they don't even eat
> much, maybe a nickle's worth of cracked corn... critters don't take
> more than they need.

Opossums eat snails and slugs and other small critters so they are
actually of some benefit to gardens. Since they the some of the same
things as rats they compete with them and keep their population down.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 11:47:46 PM UTC-6, Cheri wrote:
> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> > On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 6:10:23 PM UTC-8, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> >> A Pre Christmas Visit from The Sqwertz Dwarf:
> >> http://i62.tinypic.com/2ia3fa9.jpg
> >> The Sqwertz Dwarf Never Looked So Handsome:
> >> http://i60.tinypic.com/33uvi4j.jpg

> > I love possums. They are so maligned and under appreciated. Growing up
> > in the South we learned to appreciate them. Never ate one, though some
> > people did.

> I dislike them immensely, they're very destructive.

But they are also very CONstructive. When other animals die, the possums
clean up the corpses before they start stinking to high heaven. They are
an animal that is pretty much never considered a pest by urban animal
control agents.

From Winter's Present:

As they approached the bed, Winter opened her eyes and said, "You two."
"How long have you been awake?" asked Ann.
"Maybe a minute; it's hard to tell. I just heard you talking about kissing me awake, and I was already awake, but I'd be happy to play possum."
"Ew," said Ann, making a face, "possums are gross."
Winter started laughing, and she couldn't stop. When Ann laughed, Winter looked at her intensely, and transformed her hands into claws, twisting her face into her best approximation of an opossum before falling to the bed, limp and motionless, and sticking her tongue out the side of her mouth. She maintained the face as Ann dived at her, and bit her tongue, mostly with her lips.
Ann said, "I'd love you even if you were a possum. Wait, no I wouldn't. How 'bout I love you anyway, even though you sometimes make funny animal faces?"
"You don't like my bunny face?"
"Everyone likes bunnies, Winter, but nobody likes possums. I mean, nobody would want to kiss one."
Winter replied through a particularly pitying pout, "How sad for possums."
Ian rejoined, "I'm very glad that I'm not a possum."

I can only imagine how infuriating it would be to certain folks here if I did
the above with regularity.

> Cheri

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" wrote...

>A Pre Christmas Visit from The Sqwertz Dwarf:
>http://i62.tinypic.com/2ia3fa9.jpg
>The Sqwertz Dwarf Never Looked So Handsome:
>http://i60.tinypic.com/33uvi4j.jpg

Enjoyed the photos, Sheldon.

My only encounter with a possum was around midnight on a fall night a couple
years ago.

My big Mooch-cat wanted to go outside for a final patrol of his yard. So
when we came around front, I saw an animal cross the street that I didn't
recognize. For a while I thought it was a lost ferret. He went up the
front lawn to my magnolia. Mooch caught sight of him and went to
investigate, with me trailing behind. When I got there, those two were nose
to nose, Mooch looked at me as if to say "What the hell kind of animal is
this?" Then they looked at each other again, the possum walked off sensing
no danger from us (Mooch will only fight with animals much bigger than
himself, he's very fair like that), Mooch and I went back on patrol, and
there ended my one and only encounter with a possum.
--
bill n
>^..^< "I'm only here for the cat pics" ® >^..^<
>^..^< >^..^< >^..^< >^..^< >^..^< >^..^< >^..^<

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 3 Dec 2014 21:46:41 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:

>>> I love possums. They are so maligned and under appreciated. Growing
>>> up
>>> in the South we learned to appreciate them. Never ate one, though some
>>> people did.

>>I dislike them immensely, they're very destructive.

> What do possums destroy... they've been coming to my deck for years
> but only to eat... they've destroyed nothing. They only come to eat
> because they are hungry and I put out food... they don't even eat
> much, maybe a nickle's worth of cracked corn... critters don't take
> more than they need.

They destroyed my vegetable garden.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 4 Dec 2014 20:38:25 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 3 Dec 2014 21:46:41 -0800, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>I dislike them immensely, they're very destructive.

>> What do possums destroy... they've been coming to my deck for years
>> but only to eat... they've destroyed nothing. They only come to eat
>> because they are hungry and I put out food... they don't even eat
>> much, maybe a nickle's worth of cracked corn... critters don't take
>> more than they need.

>They destroyed my vegetable garden.

Then your garden wasn't fenced... any critter from a mouse to a horse
would destroy it... YOU destroyed your garden, nincomPOOP!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Brooklyn1" wrote:
> > What do possums destroy... they've been coming to my deck for years
> > but only to eat... they've destroyed nothing. They only come to eat
> > because they are hungry and I put out food... they don't even eat
> > much, maybe a nickle's worth of cracked corn... critters don't take
> > more than they need.

> They destroyed my vegetable garden.

Probably the rat investation destroyed your garden. You did say you
had one (rat infestation).

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/3/2014 8:43 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 6:10:23 PM UTC-8, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> A Pre Christmas Visit from The Sqwertz Dwarf:
>> http://i62.tinypic.com/2ia3fa9.jpg The Sqwertz Dwarf Never Looked
>> So Handsome: http://i60.tinypic.com/33uvi4j.jpg

> I love possums. They are so maligned and under appreciated.
> Growing up in the South we learned to appreciate them. Never ate
> one, though some people did.

One of my nephews had a pet possum, the mother possum had been hit by a
car, she died and so did 10 of the babies, but 2 of them lived. It held
onto his hair, it was cute.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 4 Dec 2014 20:38:25 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> What do possums destroy... they've been coming to my deck for years
>>> but only to eat... they've destroyed nothing. They only come to eat
>>> because they are hungry and I put out food... they don't even eat
>>> much, maybe a nickle's worth of cracked corn... critters don't take
>>> more than they need.

>>They destroyed my vegetable garden.

> Then your garden wasn't fenced... any critter from a mouse to a horse
> would destroy it... YOU destroyed your garden, nincomPOOP!

The plants were in Earthboxes and my entire yard is fenced. Possums can
climb.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Brooklyn1" wrote:
>> > What do possums destroy... they've been coming to my deck for years
>> > but only to eat... they've destroyed nothing. They only come to eat
>> > because they are hungry and I put out food... they don't even eat
>> > much, maybe a nickle's worth of cracked corn... critters don't take
>> > more than they need.

>> They destroyed my vegetable garden.

> Probably the rat investation destroyed your garden. You did say you
> had one (rat infestation).
>
> G.

No. I actually *saw* the possum eating the things. The rats came in the
winter when I had no vegetables growing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 4 Dec 2014 20:38:25 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> What do possums destroy... they've been coming to my deck for years
>>> but only to eat... they've destroyed nothing. They only come to eat
>>> because they are hungry and I put out food... they don't even eat
>>> much, maybe a nickle's worth of cracked corn... critters don't take
>>> more than they need.

They dig holes and make a huge mess of gardens. You can keep them there,
around here they're relocated.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Brooklyn1" wrote:
>> > What do possums destroy... they've been coming to my deck for years
>> > but only to eat... they've destroyed nothing. They only come to eat
>> > because they are hungry and I put out food... they don't even eat
>> > much, maybe a nickle's worth of cracked corn... critters don't take
>> > more than they need.

>> They destroyed my vegetable garden.

> Probably the rat investation destroyed your garden. You did say you
> had one (rat infestation).
>
> G.

No, they were possums where I am. My big dog kept them thinned out, though
the smaller ones do look like rats.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I once found a dead possum buried in the flower bed by my front porch, a yr later the same thing happened again. I'm not sure if they possums buried themselves then died or a dog buried them there. The second time after I removed the possum I stepped off the porch and there was a buzzard maybe 4 ft from me on the edge of the roof. I doubt many have got that close to a buzzard.

Visit with the Mom Cindy Fuller General Cooking 2 18-04-2009 10:00 PM
Hello! First visit here. Wes Chormicle General Cooking 24 08-08-2007 08:31 AM
visit [email protected] General Cooking 0 09-05-2007 04:00 PM
Just a last visit Pinky Winemaking 15 20-03-2006 01:04 AM
Visit limey General Cooking 14 02-03-2006 12:50 AM