Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Did you know that Chef Boyardee was a real person?

On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 10:26:15 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 12/5/2014 8:50 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 22:23:58 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:

> >> It was very good. Ladies would come round with carts. I never knew what
> >> to choose so I just pointed and was never disappointed

> > Did you see the chicken feet?
> >

> My guess is that they boil it to get it soft, then fry it. Boy those
> Chinese like that soft cartilage stuff - makes my flesh crawl!

I'm not into it either.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/5/2014 1:53 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-12-05 5:18 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

>> Well, my rule of thumb is that you never want to see what goes on
>> back there in a Chinese kitchen. Things go a lot smoother that way.
>>

> LOL thinking back to the last time I was in nearby Chinese restaurant.
> The lady in charge was at the front when we heard a commotion in the
> kitchen. The argument got louder and louder and then we heard pans
> crashing. The boss lady ran back and yelled and screamed. Things calmed
> down and she returned and acting as if nothing had happened, as if the
> diners could not hear the same things she had heard. A few minutes later
> it started up again. I have not been back. It's been years. The place
> is still open, but I never see any cars there.

I like Chinese people - they make me laugh! Just make sure to clear the
dining room when they start swinging knives. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2tltm5wUCs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 12/5/2014 8:50 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 22:23:58 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>> It was very good. Ladies would come round with carts. I never knew
>>> what
>>> to choose so I just pointed and was never disappointed

>> Did you see the chicken feet?
>>

> My guess is that they boil it to get it soft, then fry it. Boy those
> Chinese like that soft cartilage stuff - makes my flesh crawl!

nodnodnod

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/6/2014 10:38 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 10:26:15 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> On 12/5/2014 8:50 PM, sf wrote:
>>> On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 22:23:58 -0000, "Ophelia"

>>> Did you see the chicken feet?
>>>

>> My guess is that they boil it to get it soft, then fry it. Boy those
>> Chinese like that soft cartilage stuff - makes my flesh crawl!

> I'm not into it either.

My Vietnamese co-worker brought some to work and told me to dig in - as
it goes, I was chicken, Next time I will not refuse. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 12/6/2014 10:38 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 10:26:15 -1000, dsi1
>> > wrote:

>>> My guess is that they boil it to get it soft, then fry it. Boy those
>>> Chinese like that soft cartilage stuff - makes my flesh crawl!

>> I'm not into it either.
>>

> My Vietnamese co-worker brought some to work and told me to dig in - as it
> goes, I was chicken, Next time I will not refuse. :-)

lol report back if you do, please)))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-06, dsi1 > wrote:

> My Vietnamese co-worker brought some to work and told me to dig in - as
> it goes, I was chicken, Next time I will not refuse. :-)

My Viet cow orker introduced me to banh mi sammies, but I never again
(after the first time) ordered a chicken banh mi. My buddy told me
the Vietnamese absolutely love the gristle in chkn joints. Never
remove it. Ick!

I recall another cow orker who loved reminding me of my most despised
song, which always ends up as an annoying ear-worm when I'm reminded.
My only defense was to use the terms "gristle" and/or "cartilage",
which would make him physically cringe in revulsion.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6 Dec 2014 23:01:06 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2014-12-06, dsi1 > wrote:
>
> > My Vietnamese co-worker brought some to work and told me to dig in - as
> > it goes, I was chicken, Next time I will not refuse. :-)

> My Viet cow orker introduced me to banh mi sammies, but I never again
> (after the first time) ordered a chicken banh mi. My buddy told me
> the Vietnamese absolutely love the gristle in chkn joints. Never
> remove it. Ick!

Chicken banh mi sandwiches in San Francisco aren't gristle, they're my
favorite!

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 6, 2014 11:28:15 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message
> > On 12/6/2014 10:38 AM, sf wrote:
> >> On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 10:26:15 -1000, dsi1

> >> I'm not into it either.
> >>

> > My Vietnamese co-worker brought some to work and told me to dig in - as it
> > goes, I was chicken, Next time I will not refuse. :-)

> lol report back if you do, please)))
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Sure, if I survive. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 6, 2014 1:01:12 PM UTC-10, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-12-06, dsi1 > wrote:
>
> > My Vietnamese co-worker brought some to work and told me to dig in - as
> > it goes, I was chicken, Next time I will not refuse. :-)

> My Viet cow orker introduced me to banh mi sammies, but I never again
> (after the first time) ordered a chicken banh mi. My buddy told me
> the Vietnamese absolutely love the gristle in chkn joints. Never
> remove it. Ick!
>
> I recall another cow orker who loved reminding me of my most despised
> song, which always ends up as an annoying ear-worm when I'm reminded.
> My only defense was to use the terms "gristle" and/or "cartilage",
> which would make him physically cringe in revulsion.
>
> nb

It's kind of neat to have a sandwich with pickled turnips in it. :-) I kinda like the tuna salad VN sandwich - hold the pate, please! Oddly enough, the Vietnamese make great French bread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Dec 2014 15:34:37 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Saturday, December 6, 2014 1:01:12 PM UTC-10, notbob wrote:
>> On 2014-12-06, dsi1 > wrote:
>>
>> > My Vietnamese co-worker brought some to work and told me to dig in - as
>> > it goes, I was chicken, Next time I will not refuse. :-)

>> My Viet cow orker introduced me to banh mi sammies, but I never again
>> (after the first time) ordered a chicken banh mi. My buddy told me
>> the Vietnamese absolutely love the gristle in chkn joints. Never
>> remove it. Ick!
>>
>> I recall another cow orker who loved reminding me of my most despised
>> song, which always ends up as an annoying ear-worm when I'm reminded.
>> My only defense was to use the terms "gristle" and/or "cartilage",
>> which would make him physically cringe in revulsion.
>>
>> nb

>It's kind of neat to have a sandwich with pickled turnips in it. :-) I kinda like the tuna salad VN sandwich - hold the pate, please! Oddly enough, the Vietnamese make great French bread.

They were a French Colony for many, many years.

koko

James Beard

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/7/2014 5:28 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, December 6, 2014 11:28:15 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>>> My Vietnamese co-worker brought some to work and told me to dig in - as it
>>> goes, I was chicken, Next time I will not refuse. :-)

>> lol report back if you do, please)))
>>

>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

> Sure, if I survive. :-)

Chicken feet are wonderful additions in chicken broth. They add a lot
of gelatin and flavor.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/7/2014 5:34 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, December 6, 2014 1:01:12 PM UTC-10, notbob wrote:
>> On 2014-12-06, dsi1 > wrote:
>>
>>> My Vietnamese co-worker brought some to work and told me to dig in - as
>>> it goes, I was chicken, Next time I will not refuse. :-)

>> My Viet cow orker introduced me to banh mi sammies, but I never again
>> (after the first time) ordered a chicken banh mi. My buddy told me
>> the Vietnamese absolutely love the gristle in chkn joints. Never
>> remove it. Ick!
>>
>> I recall another cow orker who loved reminding me of my most despised
>> song, which always ends up as an annoying ear-worm when I'm reminded.
>> My only defense was to use the terms "gristle" and/or "cartilage",
>> which would make him physically cringe in revulsion.
>>
>> nb

> It's kind of neat to have a sandwich with pickled turnips in it. :-) I kinda like the tuna salad VN sandwich - hold the pate, please! Oddly enough, the Vietnamese make great French bread.

Why is that odd? Vietnam was occupied by the French for a long, long time.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-07 7:29 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
t's kind of neat to have a sandwich with pickled turnips in it. :-) I
>> kinda like the tuna salad VN sandwich - hold the pate, please! Oddly
>> enough, the Vietnamese make great French bread.
>>

> Why is that odd? Vietnam was occupied by the French for a long, long time.

FWIW We go into Toronto every November to clean up my wife's family
grave markers and we used to go to a French bakery a couple blocks from
the cemetery. The baker was French and his wife was Vietnamese. They
made pretty good baguettes and great croissants.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 7, 2014 2:13:45 PM UTC-10, koko wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Dec 2014 15:34:37 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <>
> wrote:

> >> My Viet cow orker introduced me to banh mi sammies, but I never again
> >> (after the first time) ordered a chicken banh mi. My buddy told me
> >> the Vietnamese absolutely love the gristle in chkn joints. Never
> >> remove it. Ick!
> >>
> >> I recall another cow orker who loved reminding me of my most despised
> >> song, which always ends up as an annoying ear-worm when I'm reminded.
> >> My only defense was to use the terms "gristle" and/or "cartilage",
> >> which would make him physically cringe in revulsion.
> >>
> >> nb

> >It's kind of neat to have a sandwich with pickled turnips in it. :-) I kinda like the tuna salad VN sandwich - hold the pate, please! Oddly enough, the Vietnamese make great French bread.

> They were a French Colony for many, many years.
>
> koko

That would be correct.

--

> Food is our common ground, a universal experience
> James Beard

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 7, 2014 2:28:39 PM UTC-10, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 12/7/2014 5:28 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> lol report back if you do, please)))
> >>

> >> --
> >> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

> > Sure, if I survive. :-)
> >

> Chicken feet are wonderful additions in chicken broth. They add a lot
> of gelatin and flavor.

Just don't show people what you got cooking in the pot.

> --
> From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 7, 2014 2:29:20 PM UTC-10, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 12/7/2014 5:34 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> My Viet cow orker introduced me to banh mi sammies, but I never again
> >> (after the first time) ordered a chicken banh mi. My buddy told me
> >> the Vietnamese absolutely love the gristle in chkn joints. Never
> >> remove it. Ick!
> >>
> >> I recall another cow orker who loved reminding me of my most despised
> >> song, which always ends up as an annoying ear-worm when I'm reminded.
> >> My only defense was to use the terms "gristle" and/or "cartilage",
> >> which would make him physically cringe in revulsion.
> >>
> >> nb

> > It's kind of neat to have a sandwich with pickled turnips in it. :-) I kinda like the tuna salad VN sandwich - hold the pate, please! Oddly enough, the Vietnamese make great French bread.
> >

> Why is that odd? Vietnam was occupied by the French for a long, long time.
>
> --
> From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

I said it is odd because most folks, especially the young ones, ain't real hip to the history of Vietnam.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/7/2014 7:02 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, December 7, 2014 2:28:39 PM UTC-10, Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> Sure, if I survive. :-)
>>>

>> Chicken feet are wonderful additions in chicken broth. They add a lot
>> of gelatin and flavor.
>>

> Just don't show people what you got cooking in the pot.

My mother would make chicken soup using chicken feet. She'd scald
them in hot water and peel the skin off first. After the soup was done,
she nibble on those feet. She told us that the meet was delicious, but
the feet were her "cook's perk"

I have used them in chicken stock, but never ate them.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 7, 2014 5:30:47 PM UTC-10, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 12/7/2014 7:02 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> Chicken feet are wonderful additions in chicken broth. They add a lot
> >> of gelatin and flavor.
> >>

> > Just don't show people what you got cooking in the pot.

> My mother would make chicken soup using chicken feet. She'd scald
> them in hot water and peel the skin off first. After the soup was done,
> she nibble on those feet. She told us that the meet was delicious, but
> the feet were her "cook's perk"
>
> I have used them in chicken stock, but never ate them.

I'd believe your mother - those things aren't easy to cook!

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/09/b...nix-claws.html

> --
> From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-02 02:53:07 +0000, Nancy2 said:

> Yes, I have known that for a long time...ever since it was a featured
> fact on a Food Network show
> Or maybe a Modern Marvels, I forget.
>
> N.

If I remember right, he was Chef Hector Boiardi.
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013