Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Left-over Pie, etc.

I was left with 3/4 of an apple pie, half of a pumpkin pie and a bit of
pecan pie.

I like pumpkin and pecan, so I'll finish them off eventually, but I
don't like apple pie, even my own homemade, which this was.

At 7 AM today, two lovely gentlemen arrived to remove my old washing
machine and install a new one. There was some degree of difficulty as
the Culligan people had put some kind of gizmo into the drain thingie
(so much for an English Major's grasp of the language) to hold their
drain from the water softener and the one from the washing machine that
was there. It took them almost 30 minutes to figure out how to remove
it and they had to do some unscrewing and re-screwing of stuff.

I gave them each a slice of pie and they liked it, so I gave each of
them half of the leftover pie already wrapped in foil to go. I told them
they saved the pie from 'death by garbage can'.

(I also gave them a monetary gratuity.)

Working on another novel to pay for the washing machine. Billed for one
I finished while the turkey roasted on Thursday. Actually liked that
one. New one is sappy, but I love the cash!

Enjoyed my son and granddaughter. Remembered how much I don't get along
with DIL. She ate all of my candy, left things around the house and was
more of a hinderence than a help, my DS loves her and she is a good mom,
so I held my peace. She, on the other hand, went into the bedroom to
cry in the middle of dinner because I would not give her a turkey wing.
They are always saved for me as they are the only part of turkey I
will eat and they are my reward for days of cooking. I am a cruel woman.
--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/2014 3:01 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> I was left with 3/4 of an apple pie, half of a pumpkin pie and a bit of
> pecan pie.
>
> I like pumpkin and pecan, so I'll finish them off eventually, but I
> don't like apple pie, even my own homemade, which this was.
>
> At 7 AM today, two lovely gentlemen arrived to remove my old washing
> machine and install a new one. There was some degree of difficulty as
> the Culligan people had put some kind of gizmo into the drain thingie
> (so much for an English Major's grasp of the language) to hold their
> drain from the water softener and the one from the washing machine that
> was there. It took them almost 30 minutes to figure out how to remove
> it and they had to do some unscrewing and re-screwing of stuff.
>
> I gave them each a slice of pie and they liked it, so I gave each of
> them half of the leftover pie already wrapped in foil to go. I told them
> they saved the pie from 'death by garbage can'.
>
> (I also gave them a monetary gratuity.)
>
> Working on another novel to pay for the washing machine. Billed for one
> I finished while the turkey roasted on Thursday. Actually liked that
> one. New one is sappy, but I love the cash!
>
> Enjoyed my son and granddaughter. Remembered how much I don't get along
> with DIL. She ate all of my candy, left things around the house and was
> more of a hinderence than a help, my DS loves her and she is a good mom,
> so I held my peace. She, on the other hand, went into the bedroom to
> cry in the middle of dinner because I would not give her a turkey wing.
> They are always saved for me as they are the only part of turkey I
> will eat and they are my reward for days of cooking. I am a cruel woman.

It is hard to believe she is an adult, crying over a turkey wing. I hope
she never has real problems in her life, I am not sure she could handle
it.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29/11/2014 2:01 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> I was left with 3/4 of an apple pie, half of a pumpkin pie and a bit of
> pecan pie.
>
> I like pumpkin and pecan, so I'll finish them off eventually, but I
> don't like apple pie, even my own homemade, which this was.

Have you ever made Tarte Tatin? This is the ultimate apple pie in my
opinion.
The way the apple juices incorporate with the caramel produces a
delicious flavour. Furthermore, it is not marred by any spices.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca EmaNymton" > wrote in message
> On 11/29/2014 3:01 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> I was left with 3/4 of an apple pie, half of a pumpkin pie and a bit of
>> pecan pie.
>>
>> I like pumpkin and pecan, so I'll finish them off eventually, but I
>> don't like apple pie, even my own homemade, which this was.
>>
>> At 7 AM today, two lovely gentlemen arrived to remove my old washing
>> machine and install a new one. There was some degree of difficulty as
>> the Culligan people had put some kind of gizmo into the drain thingie
>> (so much for an English Major's grasp of the language) to hold their
>> drain from the water softener and the one from the washing machine that
>> was there. It took them almost 30 minutes to figure out how to remove
>> it and they had to do some unscrewing and re-screwing of stuff.
>>
>> I gave them each a slice of pie and they liked it, so I gave each of
>> them half of the leftover pie already wrapped in foil to go. I told them
>> they saved the pie from 'death by garbage can'.
>>
>> (I also gave them a monetary gratuity.)
>>
>> Working on another novel to pay for the washing machine. Billed for one
>> I finished while the turkey roasted on Thursday. Actually liked that
>> one. New one is sappy, but I love the cash!
>>
>> Enjoyed my son and granddaughter. Remembered how much I don't get along
>> with DIL. She ate all of my candy, left things around the house and was
>> more of a hinderence than a help, my DS loves her and she is a good mom,
>> so I held my peace. She, on the other hand, went into the bedroom to
>> cry in the middle of dinner because I would not give her a turkey wing.
>> They are always saved for me as they are the only part of turkey I
>> will eat and they are my reward for days of cooking. I am a cruel woman.

> It is hard to believe she is an adult, crying over a turkey wing. I hope
> she never has real problems in her life, I am not sure she could handle
> it.
>
> Becca

+1 I so agree but didn't know what to say!!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 15:35:03 -0600, Becca EmaNymton
> wrote:

> It is hard to believe she is an adult, crying over a turkey wing. I hope
> she never has real problems in her life, I am not sure she could handle
> it.

My good friend has a DIL who is equally apt to have a fit of temper
like that. Her son loves her, but according to my friend - she's not
a very good mother, so she seems to have no redeeming value.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/2014 3:35 PM, Becca EmaNymton wrote:
> On 11/29/2014 3:01 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> I was left with 3/4 of an apple pie, half of a pumpkin pie and a bit of
>> pecan pie.
>>
>> I like pumpkin and pecan, so I'll finish them off eventually, but I
>> don't like apple pie, even my own homemade, which this was.
>>
>> At 7 AM today, two lovely gentlemen arrived to remove my old washing
>> machine and install a new one. There was some degree of difficulty as
>> the Culligan people had put some kind of gizmo into the drain thingie
>> (so much for an English Major's grasp of the language) to hold their
>> drain from the water softener and the one from the washing machine that
>> was there. It took them almost 30 minutes to figure out how to remove
>> it and they had to do some unscrewing and re-screwing of stuff.
>>
>> I gave them each a slice of pie and they liked it, so I gave each of
>> them half of the leftover pie already wrapped in foil to go. I told them
>> they saved the pie from 'death by garbage can'.
>>
>> (I also gave them a monetary gratuity.)
>>
>> Working on another novel to pay for the washing machine. Billed for one
>> I finished while the turkey roasted on Thursday. Actually liked that
>> one. New one is sappy, but I love the cash!
>>
>> Enjoyed my son and granddaughter. Remembered how much I don't get along
>> with DIL. She ate all of my candy, left things around the house and was
>> more of a hinderence than a help, my DS loves her and she is a good mom,
>> so I held my peace. She, on the other hand, went into the bedroom to
>> cry in the middle of dinner because I would not give her a turkey wing.
>> They are always saved for me as they are the only part of turkey I
>> will eat and they are my reward for days of cooking. I am a cruel woman.

> It is hard to believe she is an adult, crying over a turkey wing. I hope
> she never has real problems in her life, I am not sure she could handle it.
>
> Becca

She is bi-polar but on meds and therapy, but, still, to eat all my candy
and cry over a turkey wing?????

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/2014 3:38 PM, graham wrote:
> On 29/11/2014 2:01 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> I was left with 3/4 of an apple pie, half of a pumpkin pie and a bit of
>> pecan pie.
>>
>> I like pumpkin and pecan, so I'll finish them off eventually, but I
>> don't like apple pie, even my own homemade, which this was.
>>

> Have you ever made Tarte Tatin? This is the ultimate apple pie in my
> opinion.
> The way the apple juices incorporate with the caramel produces a
> delicious flavour. Furthermore, it is not marred by any spices.
> Graham

Thanks, Graham. My problem is that I can't abide the texture of cooked
apples. I can eat them raw and in apple sauce, but there is something
about biting into a cooked apple that I just can't tolerate.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-29 4:38 PM, graham wrote:

> Have you ever made Tarte Tatin? This is the ultimate apple pie in my
> opinion.
> The way the apple juices incorporate with the caramel produces a
> delicious flavour. Furthermore, it is not marred by any spices.

Should that not read "enhanced by spices"? Apple pie is not my
favourite but I am going to sit here and pat myself on the back for the
apple pies I have made here this year. I don't know about your pie
making experience but I very rarely buy pies because I do a quick
cost/quality comparison. I am a strong believer in the old saying "easy
as pie" because I have the recipe in my head, can whip up a batch of
dough in minutes and I make pretty darned good pies. It costs me about
half as much to make one as it does to pie a smaller one and they are so
much better.

I will occasionally buy a good cherry pie, peach or pecan but I have no
use for commercial apple pie. I used just a scratch of nutmeg and a
teaspoon of cinnamon in my apple pies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-29 4:01 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> Enjoyed my son and granddaughter. Remembered how much I don't get along
> with DIL. She ate all of my candy, left things around the house and was
> more of a hinderence than a help, my DS loves her and she is a good mom,
> so I held my peace. She, on the other hand, went into the bedroom to
> cry in the middle of dinner because I would not give her a turkey wing.

Holy cow!! What was the other thing going on when that straw broke her
back? If you didn't think much of her to begin with throwing a tantrum
like that sure isn't going to help matters much. Does she have other
narcissistic manifestations?

Miss Manners would probably say that as a hostess you should offer
guests the parts they want. However... she is family, not quest. She has
been through a lot this year. Her father in law died. Her mother and law
went through a bout of chemo. It is all about her.

> They are always saved for me as they are the only part of turkey I
> will eat and they are my reward for days of cooking. I am a cruel woman.

After what you have been through this year you are entitled to a couple
turkey wings. You can come here for turkey. You might have to fight
with my wife over the wing but she would let the guest have one ;-)

My biggest problem with turkey dinner and preferences was a few years
ago when he had my brother and his family. My brother, his wife, son,
daughter in law and grandson wall wanted dark meat. That really threw
a monkey wrench into the works for me and my wife because we both prefer
dark meat. You have to appreciate, since most people prefer the white
meat, we usually have all the dark meat we can handle.

Personally, I don't understand the wing preference. My wife likes them.
It was my mother's favourite part of the bird.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-29 5:20 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> She is bi-polar but on meds and therapy, but, still, to eat all my candy
> and cry over a turkey wing?????

Feel sorry for your son. I have a sister in law who is narcissistic
and possible bi-polar. When she is up she is super friendly and caring.
She disguised her problems for years by avoiding people when she was
in bad mood.... and I never realized how bad those moods got. I
discovered what she was really like when I was on a trip to Europe with
them and saw how she threw tantrums when she didn't get her way. Sitting
in the bedroom crying.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-29 5:21 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> Thanks, Graham. My problem is that I can't abide the texture of cooked
> apples. I can eat them raw and in apple sauce, but there is something
> about biting into a cooked apple that I just can't tolerate.

Maybe it was the gall bladder that I used to have, but raw apples always
caused problems more me. I didn't like them enough to deal with the side
effects. Apple pie, apple fritters, apple dumplings were a different
matter. It is a completely different taste and texture, but one I
preferred to raw apples.... with one exception. I really like snow
apples. There used to be apple orchards beside and behind my house and
there was one snow apple tree back there. I used to wait until late
fall or early winter and go back there to pick some.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29/11/2014 3:48 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-11-29 4:38 PM, graham wrote:
>
>> Have you ever made Tarte Tatin? This is the ultimate apple pie in my
>> opinion.
>> The way the apple juices incorporate with the caramel produces a
>> delicious flavour. Furthermore, it is not marred by any spices.

> Should that not read "enhanced by spices"?

No!!!!! The original recipe is just apples, sugar, butter and pastry.
Spices would ruin it. If you tasted one, I'm sure you'd agree.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/2014 5:10 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-11-29 5:20 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> She is bi-polar but on meds and therapy, but, still, to eat all my candy
>> and cry over a turkey wing?????
>>

> Feel sorry for your son. I have a sister in law who is narcissistic
> and possible bi-polar. When she is up she is super friendly and caring.
> She disguised her problems for years by avoiding people when she was
> in bad mood.... and I never realized how bad those moods got. I
> discovered what she was really like when I was on a trip to Europe with
> them and saw how she threw tantrums when she didn't get her way. Sitting
> in the bedroom crying.

My son loves her. Thank good ness they are in New Jersey and I am here.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-29 6:32 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

>> Feel sorry for your son. I have a sister in law who is narcissistic
>> and possible bi-polar. When she is up she is super friendly and caring.
>> She disguised her problems for years by avoiding people when she was
>> in bad mood.... and I never realized how bad those moods got. I
>> discovered what she was really like when I was on a trip to Europe with
>> them and saw how she threw tantrums when she didn't get her way. Sitting
>> in the bedroom crying.

> My son loves her. Thank good ness they are in New Jersey and I am here.

When my niece and her husband were getting ready to move to Estonia I
took him aside and gave him some Dutch uncle type of advice, warning him
that if inlaws come to visit they will plan to stay a long time ;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/2014 5:56 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-11-29 6:32 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>>> Feel sorry for your son. I have a sister in law who is narcissistic
>>> and possible bi-polar. When she is up she is super friendly and caring.
>>> She disguised her problems for years by avoiding people when she was
>>> in bad mood.... and I never realized how bad those moods got. I
>>> discovered what she was really like when I was on a trip to Europe with
>>> them and saw how she threw tantrums when she didn't get her way. Sitting
>>> in the bedroom crying.

>> My son loves her. Thank good ness they are in New Jersey and I am here.
>>

> When my niece and her husband were getting ready to move to Estonia I
> took him aside and gave him some Dutch uncle type of advice, warning him
> that if inlaws come to visit they will plan to stay a long time ;-)

I will be in Tallinn (G-d willing) next September. Can your niece
recommend anything special to see or do there? A good place for a light
lunch?

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

>> Enjoyed my son and granddaughter. Remembered how much I don't get along
>> with DIL. She ate all of my candy, left things around the house and was
>> more of a hinderence than a help, my DS loves her and she is a good mom,
>> so I held my peace. She, on the other hand, went into the bedroom to
>> cry in the middle of dinner because I would not give her a turkey wing.

Why wouldn't you give her a wing... in Jewish homes the fliegal was
reserved for the youngest.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 29, 2014 4:01:47 PM UTC-5, Janet Wilder wrote:

She, on the other hand, went into the bedroom to
> cry in the middle of dinner because I would not give her a turkey wing.

HUH???? Something amiss there. Doesn't DS see this? I have never heard of such a thing - that should've ended when she was about 8, no?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-29 19:23, Janet Wilder wrote:

>> When my niece and her husband were getting ready to move to Estonia I
>> took him aside and gave him some Dutch uncle type of advice, warning him
>> that if inlaws come to visit they will plan to stay a long time ;-)

> I will be in Tallinn (G-d willing) next September. Can your niece
> recommend anything special to see or do there? A good place for a light
> lunch?

They have since moved to Riga, Latvia. She would rather be in Estonia
but her husband is Latvian, born here but identifies Latvian.
I am sure you are Latvian. We spent a week with my niece and her family
a few years ago and had a great time. The old town there is beautiful.
We really enjoyed our dinner at the Pepper Sack. The outdoor museum is
worth seeing.Our meal at a place that served only foods that were
available in medieval times was interesting. I don't recommend the honey
beer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 15:01:37 -0600, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

>I was left with 3/4 of an apple pie, half of a pumpkin pie and a bit of
>pecan pie.
>
>I like pumpkin and pecan, so I'll finish them off eventually, but I
>don't like apple pie, even my own homemade, which this was.
>
>At 7 AM today, two lovely gentlemen arrived to remove my old washing
>machine and install a new one. There was some degree of difficulty as
>the Culligan people had put some kind of gizmo into the drain thingie
>(so much for an English Major's grasp of the language) to hold their
>drain from the water softener and the one from the washing machine that
>was there. It took them almost 30 minutes to figure out how to remove
>it and they had to do some unscrewing and re-screwing of stuff.
>
>I gave them each a slice of pie and they liked it, so I gave each of
>them half of the leftover pie already wrapped in foil to go. I told them
>they saved the pie from 'death by garbage can'.
>
>(I also gave them a monetary gratuity.)
>
>Working on another novel to pay for the washing machine. Billed for one
>I finished while the turkey roasted on Thursday. Actually liked that
>one. New one is sappy, but I love the cash!
>
>Enjoyed my son and granddaughter. Remembered how much I don't get along
>with DIL. She ate all of my candy, left things around the house and was
>more of a hinderence than a help, my DS loves her and she is a good mom,
>so I held my peace. She, on the other hand, went into the bedroom to
>cry in the middle of dinner because I would not give her a turkey wing.
> They are always saved for me as they are the only part of turkey I
>will eat and they are my reward for days of cooking. I am a cruel woman.

Pie AND pay? WOW!! :-)

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/2014 8:10 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-11-29 19:23, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>>> When my niece and her husband were getting ready to move to Estonia I
>>> took him aside and gave him some Dutch uncle type of advice, warning him
>>> that if inlaws come to visit they will plan to stay a long time ;-)

>> I will be in Tallinn (G-d willing) next September. Can your niece
>> recommend anything special to see or do there? A good place for a light
>> lunch?

> They have since moved to Riga, Latvia. She would rather be in Estonia
> but her husband is Latvian, born here but identifies Latvian.
> I am sure you are Latvian. We spent a week with my niece and her family
> a few years ago and had a great time. The old town there is beautiful.
> We really enjoyed our dinner at the Pepper Sack. The outdoor museum is
> worth seeing.Our meal at a place that served only foods that were
> available in medieval times was interesting. I don't recommend the honey
> beer.

I'm American. My grandparents came from White Russia a/k/a Beylorussia
(sp). We were "Litvaks" which is a division of Ashkenazies.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

>I was left with 3/4 of an apple pie, half of a pumpkin pie, and a bit of
>pecan pie.

I bought two Mrs. Smith's pies, one pumpkin, one Dutch apple... I
decided on them because I liked them in the past and they were BOGO.
Well after baking the required 75 minutes at the specified 350ºF they
both looked raw, so I ultimately baked them 90 minutes... still didn't
look right. After cooling the pumpkin filling was still jiggly,
bottom crust was raw. The Dutch apple was mostly sugary topping,
underneath sickeningly sweet viscous fluid and no apples, not even one
little piece. I tossed both into the yard, crows made short work of
them, crows'll eat anything. Next morning I got the empty boxes from
the recyclables bin and phoned their 800 number. I complained, they
apologized and said they'd send me some vouchers for any of their
products. Mrs. Smith's pies used to be good, these were awful... I
won't be buying them again. We're not big pie eaters so I won't go
through the trouble of baking my own but next time I'll buy pies from
the local bakery. So for dessert I had 3 half gallons of Perry's ice
cream, and someone brought a pound of butter cookies and a dozen
cannolis from a premier Italian bakery in Brooklyn. I had ruby port
for sipping. My dinner was good but I'm still annoyed that Mrs.
Smith's pies are now crap, and I've eaten them since a child, my
mother always served them and Mrs Smith's pies were wonderful... the
world is going to hell in a pie tin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 11/30/2014 11:10 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 21:35:11 -0600, Janet Wilder >
>> wrote:

>>> Exactly! Cook's perk. She was told this several times.

>> With poultry the cook's treat is the neck/halz... whichever tot is
>> still fed in the highchair gets the fliegal.
>>

> That was never the rule with our family. If the cook wanted both wings, I
> didn't eat turkey.

Your dil sounds like a spoiled brat Does she always get *everything* she
wants???

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/30/2014 11:58 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>> On 11/30/2014 11:10 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> With poultry the cook's treat is the neck/halz... whichever tot is
>>> still fed in the highchair gets the fliegal.
>>>

>> That was never the rule with our family. If the cook wanted both
>> wings, I
>> didn't eat turkey.

> Your dil sounds like a spoiled brat Does she always get *everything* she
> wants???

Her daddy has money. She has suffered her share of hardships, including
losing her mom when she was in her early 20's. My son can say 'no' to
her most of the time, but she is a bit of a prima donna.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 11/30/2014 11:58 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> eb.com...

>>> That was never the rule with our family. If the cook wanted both
>>> wings, I
>>> didn't eat turkey.

>> Your dil sounds like a spoiled brat Does she always get *everything*
>> she
>> wants???
>>

> Her daddy has money. She has suffered her share of hardships, including
> losing her mom when she was in her early 20's. My son can say 'no' to her
> most of the time, but she is a bit of a prima donna.

Not necessary for you to put up with though! I am sure you are treating her
the same as the others and when she grows up she might see that.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Your dil sounds like a spoiled brat Does she always get *everything* she
>>> wants???
>>>

>> Her daddy has money. She has suffered her share of hardships, including
>> losing her mom when she was in her early 20's. My son can say 'no' to
>> her most of the time, but she is a bit of a prima donna.

> Sheesh, I had lost both my parents by 30 but didn't feel I could be a
> prima donna. Your effort, your bird, you get cooks perks and I am
> glad you stayed with it. Can't believe you were talking about someone
> that age, I thought you meant a smallish child

She's in her mid 40's, but acts more childish than her 8 year-old daughter.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-30 3:23 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

>> Sheesh, I had lost both my parents by 30 but didn't feel I could be a
>> prima donna. Your effort, your bird, you get cooks perks and I am
>> glad you stayed with it. Can't believe you were talking about someone
>> that age, I thought you meant a smallish child
>>

> She's in her mid 40's, but acts more childish than her 8 year-old daughter.

Sounds like our bitch in law. She ruined a trip to Europe for us. She
was bad enough on the rest of the trip but had a melt down in Paris. She
didn't like the hotel or the neighbourhood so she sat in her room and
cried. We had prepaid our hotel through a travel agent who was a friend
of my brother so he had to call her and get her to find us somewhere
else through Holiday House, but we knew that was not going to happen
until the next day.

Thanks her her tantrum we wasted an entire day. We finally got checked
into the new hotel by 2:45 the next afternoon and the other brother and
SiL suggested he dump our bags in our room and go for a walk. Worked
for me but Bitch in Law nixed that. She wanted us to wait for an hour
while she had a bath. So we told her to meet us in the lobby at 4. She
didn't show. We waited. I got fed up and left at 4:45. Came back and
was supposed to meet brother and his wife at their room at 6:30 to go
for dinner.

I went down there and knocked on their door... no answer...must have
gone for a walk, but Bitch in Law stepped out of the room next door.
That surprised me. I thought she was with the others. She asked where
the others were and I said I didn't know, but maybe they went for a
walk. She went postal and screeched that they were supposed to wait for
her. I pointed out that she was supposed to meet us in the lobby two
and a half hours ago. She stormed off and had another tantrum.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-30 5:04 PM, wrote:

>> I went down there and knocked on their door... no answer...must have
>> gone for a walk, but Bitch in Law stepped out of the room next door.
>> That surprised me. I thought she was with the others. She asked where
>> the others were and I said I didn't know, but maybe they went for a
>> walk. She went postal and screeched that they were supposed to wait for
>> her. I pointed out that she was supposed to meet us in the lobby two
>> and a half hours ago. She stormed off and had another tantrum.
>>

> Phew! Damn good job there is not one of those in my family, I'd be up
> for murder one !

I was tempted. I was stunned when I heard her complaining about that
incident to someone. Apparently it was something that we did her. As she
explained it, we were supposed to go for a walk but when she went down
to the lobby to meet us we had already gone without her. Of course she
didn't tell them about the full day of our time in Paris that she had
wasted, or that she had asked us to wait for an hour while she had a
bath, or that she didn't just have a bath. She had had a bath and a nap.
And then she was ****ed off because she had to wait ten minutes for
the others to come back.... after she had kept them waiting for almost
four hours.

A friend told me she had pulled a worse one on them in Jamaica. The
other women wanted to go to a spa and get pampered. She didn't want to
that. When she is on vacation she likes to stay in her room until some
time after noon. The others went to the spa in the morning. They were
back before noon and had lunch at the hotel, then they went to the pool.
Bitch in law emerged from her room around 2 pm and went to the pool
where the others were. When she found out they had been to the spa she
went berserk, yelled and swore and threw things. Fercryingout loud,
she had didn't want to go to the spa. They went while she was still
sleeping and were back before she even woke up. No sane person would
react like that even if they had wanted to go. She should have been
happy for her friends to do what they wanted and to have been left to do
what she wanted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30/11/2014 3:47 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-11-30 5:04 PM, wrote:
>
>>> I went down there and knocked on their door... no answer...must have
>>> gone for a walk, but Bitch in Law stepped out of the room next door.
>>> That surprised me. I thought she was with the others. She asked where
>>> the others were and I said I didn't know, but maybe they went for a
>>> walk. She went postal and screeched that they were supposed to wait for
>>> her. I pointed out that she was supposed to meet us in the lobby two
>>> and a half hours ago. She stormed off and had another tantrum.
>>>

>> Phew! Damn good job there is not one of those in my family, I'd be up
>> for murder one !
>>

> I was tempted. I was stunned when I heard her complaining about that
> incident to someone. Apparently it was something that we did her. As she
> explained it, we were supposed to go for a walk but when she went down
> to the lobby to meet us we had already gone without her. Of course she
> didn't tell them about the full day of our time in Paris that she had
> wasted, or that she had asked us to wait for an hour while she had a
> bath, or that she didn't just have a bath. She had had a bath and a nap.
> And then she was ****ed off because she had to wait ten minutes for
> the others to come back.... after she had kept them waiting for almost
> four hours.
>
> A friend told me she had pulled a worse one on them in Jamaica. The
> other women wanted to go to a spa and get pampered. She didn't want to
> that. When she is on vacation she likes to stay in her room until some
> time after noon. The others went to the spa in the morning. They were
> back before noon and had lunch at the hotel, then they went to the pool.
> Bitch in law emerged from her room around 2 pm and went to the pool
> where the others were. When she found out they had been to the spa she
> went berserk, yelled and swore and threw things. Fercryingout loud, she
> had didn't want to go to the spa. They went while she was still sleeping
> and were back before she even woke up. No sane person would react like
> that even if they had wanted to go. She should have been happy for her
> friends to do what they wanted and to have been left to do what she wanted.

Obviously a severe case of narcissism.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-30 5:56 PM, graham wrote:
ck before noon and had lunch at the hotel, then they went to the pool.
>> Bitch in law emerged from her room around 2 pm and went to the pool
>> where the others were. When she found out they had been to the spa she
>> went berserk, yelled and swore and threw things. Fercryingout loud, she
>> had didn't want to go to the spa. They went while she was still sleeping
>> and were back before she even woke up. No sane person would react like
>> that even if they had wanted to go. She should have been happy for her
>> friends to do what they wanted and to have been left to do what she
>> wanted.

> Obviously a severe case of narcissism.

Eggsackery. The selfishness, the lying, the tantrums. She is a text
book case. Ironically, she worked as a psychiatric nurse.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-30 5:56 PM, Janet wrote:

> Maybe you missed the post where she said her DIL has bipolar disorder.
> It's a lifelong diagnosis and even medication won't suppress all the
> mood swings. The patient can't control their own brain chemistry.

Most of us know about that sort of thing on an intellectual level, but
it is hard to deal with. It is not as if they always raving maniacs or
drugged out zombies. Psychiatry and psychology are not pure sciences and
there are fine lines between mental illness, personality disorders and
plain old bad manners. Most people don't have education and training in
psychology so we don't know if we are dealing with a genuine mental
illness, a personality disorder or a jerk. One way or another, it can be
hard to deal with. It is not as if that jerk in your life is a jerk
because he or she is a jerk, or if it is a disorder or if it is psychotic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/2014 4:20 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 11/29/2014 3:35 PM, Becca EmaNymton wrote:
>> On 11/29/2014 3:01 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>> I was left with 3/4 of an apple pie, half of a pumpkin pie and a bit of
>>> pecan pie.
>>>
>>> I like pumpkin and pecan, so I'll finish them off eventually, but I
>>> don't like apple pie, even my own homemade, which this was.
>>>
>>> At 7 AM today, two lovely gentlemen arrived to remove my old washing
>>> machine and install a new one. There was some degree of difficulty as
>>> the Culligan people had put some kind of gizmo into the drain thingie
>>> (so much for an English Major's grasp of the language) to hold their
>>> drain from the water softener and the one from the washing machine that
>>> was there. It took them almost 30 minutes to figure out how to remove
>>> it and they had to do some unscrewing and re-screwing of stuff.
>>>
>>> I gave them each a slice of pie and they liked it, so I gave each of
>>> them half of the leftover pie already wrapped in foil to go. I told them
>>> they saved the pie from 'death by garbage can'.
>>>
>>> (I also gave them a monetary gratuity.)
>>>
>>> Working on another novel to pay for the washing machine. Billed for one
>>> I finished while the turkey roasted on Thursday. Actually liked that
>>> one. New one is sappy, but I love the cash!
>>>
>>> Enjoyed my son and granddaughter. Remembered how much I don't get along
>>> with DIL. She ate all of my candy, left things around the house and was
>>> more of a hinderence than a help, my DS loves her and she is a good mom,
>>> so I held my peace. She, on the other hand, went into the bedroom to
>>> cry in the middle of dinner because I would not give her a turkey wing.
>>> They are always saved for me as they are the only part of turkey I
>>> will eat and they are my reward for days of cooking. I am a cruel woman.

>> It is hard to believe she is an adult, crying over a turkey wing. I hope
>> she never has real problems in her life, I am not sure she could
>> handle it.
>>
>> Becca

> She is bi-polar but on meds and therapy, but, still, to eat all my candy
> and cry over a turkey wing?????

Janet, I hope she did not eat all of the candy you brought back from
Europe. I would have been mad about that, too.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> I tolerated a lot of crap from her because she was my brother's wife. That
> trip was the beginning of the end of our relationship. We had had ups and
> downs before that, but on that trip I saw a side of her I never knew
> about. I knew that they fought a lot but had not realized that she threw
> tantrums like that.
>
> She had managed to estrange herself from the rest of my family. I have
> not seen here in years and I don't intend to.

Thankfully, I was blessed with great in laws, brothers and sisters, parents
etc., not a falling out with any of them, though there are some that I
have/had more fun with than others, and I agree that if you can't tolerate
someone after years of trying, best to stay away from them.

Cheri