Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A winter lentil soup

(Pix in alt.binaries.food)

My wife, who came down with flu yesterday, got a craving for lentil
soup today. Here's my take on it, which is based on my mother's pea
soup. Ingredients are dried green lentils, a small head of romaine
lettuce, parsley stalks, three stalks of celery, a good-sized leek,
and some smoked turkey breast; salt and pepper to taste.

The lentils are parboiled for about fifteen minutes and drained. All
the other ingredients are roughly chopped and added to the lentils.
Add boiling water to cover and simmer for an hour or so, topping up
with boiling water if necessary. Allow to cool enough to take a stick
blender to it. Salt and pepper to taste. As is the Turkish custom, we
add fat (olive oil and butter) when serving. I like my soups thick; my
wife prefers to thin them out. She didn't with this one. ;-)

--
Bob
www.kanyak.com

--
Bob
www.kanyak.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 14:55:55 +0200, Opinicus
> wrote:

> (Pix in alt.binaries.food)

You read my mind! It's a rainy day and kinda cold for here. I'm
going to make a lentil stew today with canned tomatoes and chicken
Italian sausage, probably add what's left of the bag of spinach to it
too. Now I'm thinking about making home made rolls. Hm.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/22/2014 6:55 AM, Opinicus wrote:
> (Pix in alt.binaries.food)
>
> My wife, who came down with flu yesterday, got a craving for lentil
> soup today. Here's my take on it, which is based on my mother's pea
> soup. Ingredients are dried green lentils, a small head of romaine
> lettuce, parsley stalks, three stalks of celery, a good-sized leek,
> and some smoked turkey breast; salt and pepper to taste.
>
> The lentils are parboiled for about fifteen minutes and drained. All
> the other ingredients are roughly chopped and added to the lentils.
> Add boiling water to cover and simmer for an hour or so, topping up
> with boiling water if necessary. Allow to cool enough to take a stick
> blender to it. Salt and pepper to taste. As is the Turkish custom, we
> add fat (olive oil and butter) when serving. I like my soups thick; my
> wife prefers to thin them out. She didn't with this one. ;-)

We have a family recipe for lentil soup. Lentils, carrots, celery,
onions, a few beef or veal bones for extra flavor, lots of garlic, a
couple of bay leaves,salt and pepper and a package of Kosher hot dogs
sliced into coins. Everything dumped in the pressure cooker.

My mother, of blessed memory, would cook up a big batch and freeze small
containers of this soup her grandchildren called "hot dog soup". This
was one of their most favorite things that Bubby made for them.

When she passed, I was going through her freezer and found a container
of that soup. It was my son's inheritance from his grandmother.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 09:50:36 -0600, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

>> When you have a spouse with the flu you don't have three hours. ;-)

>I would think that a good chicken broth would sit better on a
>flu-bothered tummy than a heavy lentil soup.

Absolutely nothing wrong with her stomach or her appetite. She's on
the "Feed A Cold" side of the equation at the moment.

--
Bob
www.kanyak.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 14:55:55 +0200, Opinicus wrote:

> My wife, who came down with flu yesterday, got a craving for lentil soup
> today.

What a comfort to have someone make you soup when you are sick.

Tara

Lentil Soup 8/18 jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 10 24-10-2014 04:57 AM
May well be a bad winter-But a good Stew/Soup Winter Kswck General Cooking 98 05-09-2009 08:08 PM
Ham REC - Lentil and Ham Soup Damsel in dis Dress[_6_] General Cooking 0 02-03-2009 03:43 AM
Lentil Soup Duckie ® Recipes 0 08-09-2005 10:18 PM
Ham and Lentil Soup T & J Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 11-03-2005 04:00 AM