Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Beef Wellington

I've only had it once, at a restaurant a year or two ago. I was really looking
forward to it but disappointed when I found that the shell was bread-like rather
than puff pastry. I'm sure it would have been better with puff pastry. Why mess
with a classic?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DavidW" wrote:

>I've only had it once, at a restaurant a year or two ago. I was really looking
>forward to it but disappointed when I found that the shell was bread-like rather
>than puff pastry. I'm sure it would have been better with puff pastry. Why mess
>with a classic?

I'd not order such a dish first time at a restaurant... I'd eat at a
restaurant several times so I could observe their preparations before
ordering anything out of the ordinary. I always observe other
tables before ordering anything... observing the presentations gives
me a good idea of what to expect... I especially take note
of how their bar beverages are served. Sometimes what I've observed
caused me to get up and depart... there have been times I felt it was
wiser to pick up somehing at a known deli on the way home. When
trying out a new restaurant I order something very basic, I can tell a
lot from their soup du jour or their salad about the quality of their
entrees. But mostly I know from their 2ni if I'll want to order
dinner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-16 21:10, DavidW wrote:
> I've only had it once, at a restaurant a year or two ago. I was really looking
> forward to it but disappointed when I found that the shell was bread-like rather
> than puff pastry. I'm sure it would have been better with puff pastry. Why mess
> with a classic?

It is good with puff pastry. If you had it in a restaurant and the
pastry was that bad you should have complained.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-17 01:10:40 +0000, DavidW said:

> I've only had it once, at a restaurant a year or two ago. I was really
> looking forward to it but disappointed when I found that the shell was
> bread-like rather than puff pastry. I'm sure it would have been better
> with puff pastry. Why mess with a classic?

That's really really sad. I wish I had never read about this - I'm
imagining something like one of those bread bowls like you'd get soup
in at a TGI Benne****erbee's but with a tenderloin in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DavidW" > wrote in message
> I've only had it once, at a restaurant a year or two ago. I was really
> looking forward to it but disappointed when I found that the shell was
> bread-like rather than puff pastry. I'm sure it would have been better
> with puff pastry. Why mess with a classic?

I have only made it with puff pastry - why is that so difficult?

This looks like the horrific abomination you experienced. Sauce looks
feeble too.

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/20...oeuf-en-croute

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-10-16 21:10, DavidW wrote:
>> I've only had it once, at a restaurant a year or two ago. I was
>> really looking forward to it but disappointed when I found that the
>> shell was bread-like rather than puff pastry. I'm sure it would have
>> been better with puff pastry. Why mess with a classic?
>>

> It is good with puff pastry. If you had it in a restaurant and the
> pastry was that bad you should have complained.

It wasn't that the pastry was bad. It wasn't pastry at all - by design.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pico Rico wrote:
> "DavidW" > wrote in message
>> I've only had it once, at a restaurant a year or two ago. I was
>> really looking forward to it but disappointed when I found that the
>> shell was bread-like rather than puff pastry. I'm sure it would have
>> been better with puff pastry. Why mess with a classic?
>>

> I have only made it with puff pastry - why is that so difficult?

I don't know if it was difficult or they just chose to cook their own variation.
Puff pastry is time consuming, though, so they might have used a simpler dough
for cost reasons.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> "DavidW" wrote:
>>
>> I've only had it once, at a restaurant a year or two ago. I was
>> really looking forward to it but disappointed when I found that the
>> shell was bread-like rather than puff pastry. I'm sure it would have
>> been better with puff pastry. Why mess with a classic?

> I'd not order such a dish first time at a restaurant...

It was a one-time visit, so I ordered what appealed to me the most. What else
can you do for a one-off meal?

> I'd eat at a
> restaurant several times so I could observe their preparations before
> ordering anything out of the ordinary. I always observe other
> tables before ordering anything... observing the presentations gives
> me a good idea of what to expect... I especially take note
> of how their bar beverages are served. Sometimes what I've observed
> caused me to get up and depart... there have been times I felt it was
> wiser to pick up somehing at a known deli on the way home. When
> trying out a new restaurant I order something very basic, I can tell a
> lot from their soup du jour or their salad about the quality of their
> entrees. But mostly I know from their 2ni if I'll want to order
> dinner.

It is a popular, well-known and well-rated restaurant. Pink (the singer) is
among those who (figuratively) sings its praises and eats there regularly when
in town.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DavidW" > wrote in message
> Pico Rico wrote:
>> "DavidW" > wrote in message
>>> I've only had it once, at a restaurant a year or two ago. I was
>>> really looking forward to it but disappointed when I found that the
>>> shell was bread-like rather than puff pastry. I'm sure it would have
>>> been better with puff pastry. Why mess with a classic?
>>>

>> I have only made it with puff pastry - why is that so difficult?

> I don't know if it was difficult or they just chose to cook their own
> variation. Puff pastry is time consuming, though, so they might have used
> a simpler dough for cost reasons.

Brioche is a common sub.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "DavidW" > wrote in message
>> Pico Rico wrote:
>>>>

>>> I have only made it with puff pastry - why is that so difficult?

>> I don't know if it was difficult or they just chose to cook their own
>> variation. Puff pastry is time consuming, though, so they might have
>> used a simpler dough for cost reasons.

> Brioche is a common sub.

Maybe that was it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DavidW" > wrote in message
> I've only had it once, at a restaurant a year or two ago. I was really
> looking forward to it but disappointed when I found that the shell was
> bread-like rather than puff pastry. I'm sure it would have been better
> with puff pastry. Why mess with a classic?

That's weird. I just remember my BIL ordering it. I warned him that he
wouldn't like it. He didn't. My in-laws don't usually like really fancy
stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DavidW" > wrote in message
> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> "DavidW" wrote:
>>>
>>> I've only had it once, at a restaurant a year or two ago. I was
>>> really looking forward to it but disappointed when I found that the
>>> shell was bread-like rather than puff pastry. I'm sure it would have
>>> been better with puff pastry. Why mess with a classic?

>> I'd not order such a dish first time at a restaurant...

> It was a one-time visit, so I ordered what appealed to me the most. What
> else can you do for a one-off meal?
>
>> I'd eat at a
>> restaurant several times so I could observe their preparations before
>> ordering anything out of the ordinary. I always observe other
>> tables before ordering anything... observing the presentations gives
>> me a good idea of what to expect... I especially take note
>> of how their bar beverages are served. Sometimes what I've observed
>> caused me to get up and depart... there have been times I felt it was
>> wiser to pick up somehing at a known deli on the way home. When
>> trying out a new restaurant I order something very basic, I can tell a
>> lot from their soup du jour or their salad about the quality of their
>> entrees. But mostly I know from their 2ni if I'll want to order
>> dinner.

> It is a popular, well-known and well-rated restaurant. Pink (the singer)
> is among those who (figuratively) sings its praises and eats there
> regularly when in town.

Now I am curious. Do they have an online menu?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Oregonian Haruspex" > wrote in message
> On 2014-10-17 01:10:40 +0000, DavidW said:
>
>> I've only had it once, at a restaurant a year or two ago. I was really
>> looking forward to it but disappointed when I found that the shell was
>> bread-like rather than puff pastry. I'm sure it would have been better
>> with puff pastry. Why mess with a classic?

> That's really really sad. I wish I had never read about this - I'm
> imagining something like one of those bread bowls like you'd get soup in
> at a TGI Benne****erbee's but with a tenderloin in it.

OMG! Those bread bowls are the worst! Where my mom lives, they serve chili
in a bread bowl. Why? I do know a lot of people who think they are really
"neat", my mom being one of them. I am not in that camp.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DavidW" > wrote in message
> Pico Rico wrote:
>> "DavidW" > wrote in message
>>> I've only had it once, at a restaurant a year or two ago. I was
>>> really looking forward to it but disappointed when I found that the
>>> shell was bread-like rather than puff pastry. I'm sure it would have
>>> been better with puff pastry. Why mess with a classic?
>>>

>> I have only made it with puff pastry - why is that so difficult?

> I don't know if it was difficult or they just chose to cook their own
> variation. Puff pastry is time consuming, though, so they might have used
> a simpler dough for cost reasons.

it is not time consuming to BUY the puff pastry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 17:25:30 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> Baked Alaska!! That is a blast from the past) I used to make that
> often)

I've only seen Baked Alaska in pictures. Don't recall ever seeing it
on a restaurant menu (if it was at the same time as the souffle era,
then I know I always ordered a souffle) and was never interested
enough to make it at home.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 17:25:30 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> Baked Alaska!! That is a blast from the past) I used to make that
>> often)

> I've only seen Baked Alaska in pictures. Don't recall ever seeing it
> on a restaurant menu (if it was at the same time as the souffle era,
> then I know I always ordered a souffle) and was never interested
> enough to make it at home.

We loved it I might make it again when the kids are home. Too much for
just the two of us.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 16, 2014 8:10:40 PM UTC-5, DavidW wrote:
> I've only had it once, at a restaurant a year or two ago. I was really looking
>
> forward to it but disappointed when I found that the shell was bread-like rather
>
> than puff pastry. I'm sure it would have been better with puff pastry. Why mess
>
> with a classic?

Have only had it with a puff pastry, but who knows how it can be served. I was recently in France, the big thing I noticed was serving food Deconstructed. I had Beef wellington Deconstructed , which basically meeant it was all mixed up in a mess. Lasagna deconscructed, instead of layers, all mixed up. I was less than thrilled.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

DavidW > wrote:

> I've only had it once, at a restaurant a year or two ago. I was really looking
> forward to it but disappointed when I found that the shell was bread-like
> rather than puff pastry. I'm sure it would have been better with puff
> pastry. Why mess with a classic?

As far as I am concerned, the "classic" is not really worth messing with
in any sense of the word. I said it once or twice and I will say it
again: Of all the famous recipes, Beef Wellington is one of the most
overrated. Roasting or browning a solid piece of meat and then steaming
it (which is what happens once you enclose it in a pastry shell and
continue to cook) does nothing for its flavour, except for dumbing it
down. The pastry adds its own bland-down effect and the optional
addition of foie gras is designed more to impress the guest than to
improve the dish. It's not accidental that most pie-type meat dishes
call for *minced* meat - it somehow blends in and contributes to the
making of a harmonious whole, rather than to a combination of basically
unrelated ingredients. But that's just MHO and it doesn't mean I
wouldn't be able to enjoy the dish - just not on the same level as a
really well-composed one.

"A few years ago it was considered chic to serve Beef
Wellington; fortunately, like Napoleon, it met its Waterloo."
-- Rene Veaux, Lasserre restaurant, Paris

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 23:19:43 +0200, (Victor Sack)
wrote:

>DavidW > wrote:
>
>> I've only had it once, at a restaurant a year or two ago. I was really looking
>> forward to it but disappointed when I found that the shell was bread-like
>> rather than puff pastry. I'm sure it would have been better with puff
>> pastry. Why mess with a classic?

>As far as I am concerned, the "classic" is not really worth messing with
>in any sense of the word. I said it once or twice and I will say it
>again: Of all the famous recipes, Beef Wellington is one of the most
>overrated. Roasting or browning a solid piece of meat and then steaming
>it (which is what happens once you enclose it in a pastry shell and
>continue to cook) does nothing for its flavour, except for dumbing it
>down. The pastry adds its own bland-down effect and the optional
>addition of foie gras is designed more to impress the guest than to
>improve the dish. It's not accidental that most pie-type meat dishes
>call for *minced* meat - it somehow blends in and contributes to the
>making of a harmonious whole, rather than to a combination of basically
>unrelated ingredients. But that's just MHO and it doesn't mean I
>wouldn't be able to enjoy the dish - just not on the same level as a
>really well-composed one.
>
> "A few years ago it was considered chic to serve Beef
> Wellington; fortunately, like Napoleon, it met its Waterloo."
> -- Rene Veaux, Lasserre restaurant, Paris
>
>Victor

Here Victor is correct... high price of restaurant entrees has
absolutely no bearing on value. Beef Wellington is one of those
dishes that has less worth than a basic beef pot pie, only
"Wellington" sounds impressive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-17 5:19 PM, Victor Sack wrote:

> As far as I am concerned, the "classic" is not really worth messing with
> in any sense of the word. I said it once or twice and I will say it
> again: Of all the famous recipes, Beef Wellington is one of the most
> overrated. Roasting or browning a solid piece of meat and then steaming
> it (which is what happens once you enclose it in a pastry shell and
> continue to cook) does nothing for its flavour, except for dumbing it
> down. The pastry adds its own bland-down effect and the optional
> addition of foie gras is designed more to impress the guest than to
> improve the dish.

I have never had it in a restaurant or at someone else's home. I have
only had boeuf en croute at home and cooked it myself. The first time I
made it I kept muttering to myself that it had better be good, because
it was a lot of work. I had to make the pastry, the duxelle, the pate,
the browning sauce etc. And... it was good. It looked good and it
tasted good, and our guests were impressed. The second time I was better
prepared and bought some of the ingredients.

> It's not accidental that most pie-type meat dishes
> call for *minced* meat - it somehow blends in and contributes to the
> making of a harmonious whole, rather than to a combination of basically
> unrelated ingredients. But that's just MHO and it doesn't mean I
> wouldn't be able to enjoy the dish - just not on the same level as a
> really well-composed one.

I don't disagree that there are some great meat pies made with ground
meat. Tourtiere is made with ground meat. The church lady meat pies are
made with ground meat. My wife makes and incredible steak and mushroom
pie with chunks of sirloin.

IMO, the only drawback to a Beef Wellington is the work and the expense
of the other ingredients. Personally, I would rather had a filet steak
with some salt and coarsely ground pepper rubbed into it and then slap
in on a hot pan to sear the outsides and serve it while it is still raw
in the middle.

> "A few years ago it was considered chic to serve Beef
> Wellington; fortunately, like Napoleon, it met its Waterloo."
> -- Rene Veaux, Lasserre restaurant, Paris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DavidW" > wrote in message
> Pico Rico wrote:

>>> I don't know if it was difficult or they just chose to cook their own
>>> variation. Puff pastry is time consuming, though, so they might have
>>> used a simpler dough for cost reasons.

>> it is not time consuming to BUY the puff pastry.

> I would be surprised, and disappointed as a diner, if a good restaurant
> did
> that. Even on reality cooking shows contestants get marked down and lashed
> by
> the judges for using store-bought pastry.

perhaps, but they surely would get marked down even more if they used some
sort of bread dough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-17 6:30 PM, DavidW wrote:
> Pico Rico wrote:

>>> I don't know if it was difficult or they just chose to cook their own
>>> variation. Puff pastry is time consuming, though, so they might have
>>> used a simpler dough for cost reasons.

>> it is not time consuming to BUY the puff pastry.

> I would be surprised, and disappointed as a diner, if a good restaurant did
> that. Even on reality cooking shows contestants get marked down and lashed by
> the judges for using store-bought pastry.

Pshaw. First of all, there is no reality to those "reality" shows. Other
FN chefs suggest that you buy puff pastry. It is a lot of expense and a
lot of work to make it yourself.

I may be one of the few people who finds it easy to make regular pie
dough, but pie dough IMO is easy. Puff pastry is a lot of work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> "DavidW" > wrote in message
>> It is a popular, well-known and well-rated restaurant. Pink (the
>> singer) is among those who (figuratively) sings its praises and eats
>> there regularly when in town.

> Now I am curious. Do they have an online menu?

http://theeuropean.com.au/dinner.html

It looks different now. I don't remember the air-dried part, or the potatoes
etc., and it wasn't for two when I had it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pico Rico wrote:
> "DavidW" > wrote in message
>> Pico Rico wrote:
>>>
>>> I have only made it with puff pastry - why is that so difficult?

>> I don't know if it was difficult or they just chose to cook their own
>> variation. Puff pastry is time consuming, though, so they might have
>> used a simpler dough for cost reasons.

> it is not time consuming to BUY the puff pastry.

I would be surprised, and disappointed as a diner, if a good restaurant did
that. Even on reality cooking shows contestants get marked down and lashed by
the judges for using store-bought pastry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2014-10-17 6:30 PM, DavidW wrote:
>> Pico Rico wrote:

>>> it is not time consuming to BUY the puff pastry.

>> I would be surprised, and disappointed as a diner, if a good restaurant
>> did
>> that. Even on reality cooking shows contestants get marked down and
>> lashed by
>> the judges for using store-bought pastry.
>>

> Pshaw. First of all, there is no reality to those "reality" shows. Other
> FN chefs suggest that you buy puff pastry. It is a lot of expense and a
> lot of work to make it yourself.
>
> I may be one of the few people who finds it easy to make regular pie
> dough, but pie dough IMO is easy. Puff pastry is a lot of work.

and the home made stuff, if made correctly, will puff more than the store
bought. That is more appropriate for pastries, rather than Wellington.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 17:25:30 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> Baked Alaska!! That is a blast from the past) I used to make that
>> often)

> I've only seen Baked Alaska in pictures. Don't recall ever seeing it
> on a restaurant menu (if it was at the same time as the souffle era,
> then I know I always ordered a souffle) and was never interested
> enough to make it at home.

We had to make it in Home Ec.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-10-17 6:30 PM, DavidW wrote:
>> Pico Rico wrote:
>>> it is not time consuming to BUY the puff pastry.

>> I would be surprised, and disappointed as a diner, if a good
>> restaurant did that. Even on reality cooking shows contestants get
>> marked down and lashed by the judges for using store-bought pastry.

> Pshaw. First of all, there is no reality to those "reality" shows.

I'm sure there's plenty that we don't see, and I've heard some of it, but there
is enough reality. The contestants _are_ cooking those dishes.

> Other FN chefs suggest that you buy puff pastry. It is a lot of
> expense and a lot of work to make it yourself.

I bet they don't buy puff pastry at Noma or The Fat Duck.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-17 19:57, DavidW wrote:

>> Pshaw. First of all, there is no reality to those "reality" shows.

> I'm sure there's plenty that we don't see, and I've heard some of it, but there
> is enough reality. The contestants _are_ cooking those dishes.

No. We don't see it. We hear it... like the chefs who are competing in
memory of a recently deceased family member or a
child/sister/parent/friend who has just been diagnosed with cancer.

>> Other FN chefs suggest that you buy puff pastry. It is a lot of
>> expense and a lot of work to make it yourself.

> I bet they don't buy puff pastry at Noma or The Fat Duck.

You're talking top of the line restaurants versus a cooking competition
where chef/contestants have a limited amount of time to prepare a pastry
dough that takes close to 2 hours.