Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Spice mixes

What are your favorite spice mixes? It's that time of year again and I'm
going to make up jars of spice mixes to go with Christmas gifts this
year. I know I can't get some of the herbs locally fresh, but I can get
the imported ones and dry them myself, such as some that go into Italian
Seasoning. I just dried some parsley and basil because they were
getting to the point to use them or lose them. I made some Italian
seasoning with some dried herbs added.

I plan to buy anything I'm going to use for gifts fresh if they're
already dried, and anything I can dry myself I will. I also just found
some cute spice jars on Amazon along with some "chalkboard" labels with
a chalk pen, so the bottles can be relabeled if the giftee wants to do so.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/14/2014 8:47 PM, Cheryl wrote:

> What are your favorite spice mixes? It's that time of year again and I'm
> going to make up jars of spice mixes to go with Christmas gifts this
> year. I know I can't get some of the herbs locally fresh, but I can get
> the imported ones and dry them myself, such as some that go into Italian
> Seasoning. I just dried some parsley and basil because they were
> getting to the point to use them or lose them. I made some Italian
> seasoning with some dried herbs added.
>
> I plan to buy anything I'm going to use for gifts fresh if they're
> already dried, and anything I can dry myself I will. I also just found
> some cute spice jars on Amazon along with some "chalkboard" labels with
> a chalk pen, so the bottles can be relabeled if the giftee wants to do so.

Another spice mix I really like is Emeril's Essence. That's one I don't
think you can buy in a store, but it's just a cajun mix.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> What are your favorite spice mixes? It's that time of year again and I'm
> going to make up jars of spice mixes to go with Christmas gifts this year.
> I know I can't get some of the herbs locally fresh, but I can get the
> imported ones and dry them myself, such as some that go into Italian
> Seasoning. I just dried some parsley and basil because they were getting
> to the point to use them or lose them. I made some Italian seasoning with
> some dried herbs added.
>
> I plan to buy anything I'm going to use for gifts fresh if they're already
> dried, and anything I can dry myself I will. I also just found some cute
> spice jars on Amazon along with some "chalkboard" labels with a chalk pen,
> so the bottles can be relabeled if the giftee wants to do so.
>
> --
> ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
> Cheryl

I don't usually use spice mixes unless you count chili powder. I do have
some Mexican seasoning that I have never used. I did have some Greek that I
never used. And I used to use Italian but since I can't use basil now, I
don't use that. I do use Montreal chicken and steak seasoning but those
also contain salt and pepper.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 20:47:15 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> What are your favorite spice mixes? It's that time of year again and I'm
> going to make up jars of spice mixes to go with Christmas gifts this
> year. I know I can't get some of the herbs locally fresh, but I can get
> the imported ones and dry them myself, such as some that go into Italian
> Seasoning. I just dried some parsley and basil because they were
> getting to the point to use them or lose them. I made some Italian
> seasoning with some dried herbs added.
>
> I plan to buy anything I'm going to use for gifts fresh if they're
> already dried, and anything I can dry myself I will. I also just found
> some cute spice jars on Amazon along with some "chalkboard" labels with
> a chalk pen, so the bottles can be relabeled if the giftee wants to do so.

I do that for my kids too. My son in law *loved* the Cajun spice mix
I made. One fantastic seasoning that's just a matter of buying a
package and doling it out is za'atar. OMG! That stuff is like crack.
You can use it for so many things - from adding it to olive oil for
dipping, to using as a seasoning for vegetables and meat (lamb chops
love za'atar).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl > wrote:
> On 10/14/2014 8:47 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>
>> What are your favorite spice mixes? It's that time of year again and I'm
>> going to make up jars of spice mixes to go with Christmas gifts this
>> year. I know I can't get some of the herbs locally fresh, but I can get
>> the imported ones and dry them myself, such as some that go into Italian
>> Seasoning. I just dried some parsley and basil because they were
>> getting to the point to use them or lose them. I made some Italian
>> seasoning with some dried herbs added.
>>
>> I plan to buy anything I'm going to use for gifts fresh if they're
>> already dried, and anything I can dry myself I will. I also just found
>> some cute spice jars on Amazon along with some "chalkboard" labels with
>> a chalk pen, so the bottles can be relabeled if the giftee wants to do so.
>>

> Another spice mix I really like is Emeril's Essence. That's one I don't
> think you can buy in a store, but it's just a cajun mix.

Making your own curry powder is quite an adventure. It's also the only way
to get really POTENT curry powder any more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

> I do that for my kids too. My son in law *loved* the Cajun spice mix
> I made. One fantastic seasoning that's just a matter of buying a
> package and doling it out is za'atar. OMG! That stuff is like crack.
> You can use it for so many things - from adding it to olive oil for
> dipping, to using as a seasoning for vegetables and meat (lamb chops
> love za'atar).

Yeah zaatar is excellent and goes with practically anything. But one
should always mention ground sumac in the same breath, as it is equally
versatile but entirely different. A hummus plate without either is just
bland amateurism.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 07:15:04 +0000 (UTC), Oregonian Haruspex
> wrote:

> sf > wrote:
>
> > I do that for my kids too. My son in law *loved* the Cajun spice mix
> > I made. One fantastic seasoning that's just a matter of buying a
> > package and doling it out is za'atar. OMG! That stuff is like crack.
> > You can use it for so many things - from adding it to olive oil for
> > dipping, to using as a seasoning for vegetables and meat (lamb chops
> > love za'atar).

> Yeah zaatar is excellent and goes with practically anything. But one
> should always mention ground sumac in the same breath, as it is equally
> versatile but entirely different. A hummus plate without either is just
> bland amateurism.

Isn't sumac part of the za'atar blend? I thought it was.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/14/2014 7:47 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> What are your favorite spice mixes? It's that time of year again and I'm
> going to make up jars of spice mixes to go with Christmas gifts this
> year. I know I can't get some of the herbs locally fresh, but I can get
> the imported ones and dry them myself, such as some that go into Italian
> Seasoning. I just dried some parsley and basil because they were
> getting to the point to use them or lose them. I made some Italian
> seasoning with some dried herbs added.
>
> I plan to buy anything I'm going to use for gifts fresh if they're
> already dried, and anything I can dry myself I will. I also just found
> some cute spice jars on Amazon along with some "chalkboard" labels with
> a chalk pen, so the bottles can be relabeled if the giftee wants to do so.

I like garam masala that I add to red lentils.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> What are your favorite spice mixes? It's that time of year again and I'm
> going to make up jars of spice mixes to go with Christmas gifts this
> year. I know I can't get some of the herbs locally fresh, but I can get
> the imported ones and dry them myself, such as some that go into Italian
> Seasoning. I just dried some parsley and basil because they were
> getting to the point to use them or lose them.

You can't make a spice mix from herbs... herbs are not spices... you
can make an herb blend. But you'd do much better to simply buy an
herb blend. Penzeys Italian herb blend is excellent and will cost
less than drying fresh herbs (you'd need to buy a lot of fresh herbs
to fill a tiny jar with dried), plus you can't properly dehydrate
herbs at home with a home style dehydrater, you'll just waste them. A
pound of fresh herbs will yield about a half ounce of dehydrated,
because when you buy fresh herbs you're buying mostly stems. Even if
you grow your own herbs it really doesn't pay to dehydrate them. A
better way to store fresh herbs is to freeze them, even better is to
layer them in an airtight container between layers of kosher salt and
then freeze... I do that with the parsley I grow, and I can still use
the salt.

Using home type dehydrators after all is said and done you may as well
use shredded cardboard. With the wattage a home style dehydrator
consumes it's cheaper to buy dehy herbs.
http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-FD-1040-...rds=dehydrator
Commercial operations can achieve high quality yet keep prices down by
employing volume economics:
http://www.dryer.com/index.html

Personally I wouldn't gift people dehy herbs, especially not those
I've made myself. For one many people will put them away and forget
them, and many people are loathe to consume homemade food products
(personally I decline gifts of many homemade foods), I'll gladly
accept gifts of local honey and maple syrup but I'll politely decline
someones home canned garden produce. Were I so inclined to gift artsy
fartsy I would perhaps give homemade beeswax candles, then folks can
choose to use them or display them, but it's highly unlikely they will
toss them in the trash. I do gift people fresh garden produce, I even
trade with my neighbors, but I'm fussy about other peoples food prep.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I make my own all the time. I have an herb garden and a dehydrator. My favorite starts with a base of store bought onion powder and garlic powder. Then I add dried oregano, dried basil, dried lemon thyme and dried parsley. I use it on pretty much anything. It's great as a rub on roast beef or chicken.

Denise in NH

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-15, Cheryl > wrote:

> Another spice mix I really like is Emeril's Essence. That's one I don't
> think you can buy in a store, but it's just a cajun mix.

Two good Creole spice recipes, including Emeril's. The top one is
better, plus, you can tweak it:

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/creole.html

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 07:15:04 +0000 (UTC), Oregonian Haruspex
> > wrote:
>
>> sf > wrote:
>>
>>> I do that for my kids too. My son in law *loved* the Cajun spice mix
>>> I made. One fantastic seasoning that's just a matter of buying a
>>> package and doling it out is za'atar. OMG! That stuff is like crack.
>>> You can use it for so many things - from adding it to olive oil for
>>> dipping, to using as a seasoning for vegetables and meat (lamb chops
>>> love za'atar).

>> Yeah zaatar is excellent and goes with practically anything. But one
>> should always mention ground sumac in the same breath, as it is equally
>> versatile but entirely different. A hummus plate without either is just
>> bland amateurism.

> Isn't sumac part of the za'atar blend? I thought it was.

Thyme is the base as far as I always knew, and it almost always has sesame
seeds and salt as well. From that base I think there are about a million
regional variations of it. The middle eastern store I shop at has about a
half dozen kinds, but for reasons of taste and economy we settled on the
Sadaf brand.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 18:19:39 +0000 (UTC), Oregonian Haruspex
> wrote:

> sf > wrote:
> > On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 07:15:04 +0000 (UTC), Oregonian Haruspex
> > > wrote:

> >> Yeah zaatar is excellent and goes with practically anything. But one
> >> should always mention ground sumac in the same breath, as it is equally
> >> versatile but entirely different. A hummus plate without either is just
> >> bland amateurism.

> > Isn't sumac part of the za'atar blend? I thought it was.
> >

> Thyme is the base as far as I always knew, and it almost always has sesame
> seeds and salt as well. From that base I think there are about a million
> regional variations of it. The middle eastern store I shop at has about a
> half dozen kinds, but for reasons of taste and economy we settled on the
> Sadaf brand.

Look at these recipes
http://mideastfood.about.com/od/midd...s/r/zaatar.htm
http://www.freshbitesdaily.com/homemade-zaatar/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-15 19:07:56 +0000, sf said:

> On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 18:19:39 +0000 (UTC), Oregonian Haruspex
> > wrote:
>
>> sf > wrote:
>>> On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 07:15:04 +0000 (UTC), Oregonian Haruspex

>>> Isn't sumac part of the za'atar blend? I thought it was.
>>>

>> Thyme is the base as far as I always knew, and it almost always has sesame
>> seeds and salt as well. From that base I think there are about a million
>> regional variations of it. The middle eastern store I shop at has about a
>> half dozen kinds, but for reasons of taste and economy we settled on the
>> Sadaf brand.

> Look at these recipes
> http://mideastfood.about.com/od/midd...s/r/zaatar.htm
> http://www.freshbitesdaily.com/homemade-zaatar/

Looks like those people really like sumac in their zaatar. As I said
there are many regional variations. It is present in the Sadaf blend,
but as the last ingredient on the list.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 12:47:09 -0700, Oregonian Haruspex
> wrote:

> > Look at these recipes
> > http://mideastfood.about.com/od/midd...s/r/zaatar.htm
> > http://www.freshbitesdaily.com/homemade-zaatar/

> Looks like those people really like sumac in their zaatar. As I said
> there are many regional variations. It is present in the Sadaf blend,
> but as the last ingredient on the list.

As with everything else, there are regional variations and they vary
from town to town, family to family. I'm currently trying to figure
out the components I want to use in the Harissa I plan to make for
myself now that my stash of commercial is almost gone.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-15 20:32:27 +0000, sf said:

> On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 12:47:09 -0700, Oregonian Haruspex
> > wrote:
>
>>> Look at these recipes
>>> http://mideastfood.about.com/od/midd...s/r/zaatar.htm
>>> http://www.freshbitesdaily.com/homemade-zaatar/

>> Looks like those people really like sumac in their zaatar. As I said
>> there are many regional variations. It is present in the Sadaf blend,
>> but as the last ingredient on the list.

> As with everything else, there are regional variations and they vary
> from town to town, family to family. I'm currently trying to figure
> out the components I want to use in the Harissa I plan to make for
> myself now that my stash of commercial is almost gone.

Any time I make something like this, I usually create several test
batches with varying components before I decide what to include in the
final blend. Even then I usually only make a small jar of any spice
blend, and reserve the rest of the spices unmixed. I have a lot of
Ball jars hanging around with spices in them but spices don't go bad as
long as they are stored in an airtight container and away from sunlight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/15/2014 3:12 AM, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
> Cheryl > wrote:
>> On 10/14/2014 8:47 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>>
>>> What are your favorite spice mixes? It's that time of year again and I'm
>>> going to make up jars of spice mixes to go with Christmas gifts this
>>> year. I know I can't get some of the herbs locally fresh, but I can get
>>> the imported ones and dry them myself, such as some that go into Italian
>>> Seasoning. I just dried some parsley and basil because they were
>>> getting to the point to use them or lose them. I made some Italian
>>> seasoning with some dried herbs added.
>>>
>>> I plan to buy anything I'm going to use for gifts fresh if they're
>>> already dried, and anything I can dry myself I will. I also just found
>>> some cute spice jars on Amazon along with some "chalkboard" labels with
>>> a chalk pen, so the bottles can be relabeled if the giftee wants to do so.
>>>

>> Another spice mix I really like is Emeril's Essence. That's one I don't
>> think you can buy in a store, but it's just a cajun mix.

> Making your own curry powder is quite an adventure. It's also the only way
> to get really POTENT curry powder any more.

I'm not a fan of curry dishes, but for gifts I could make some curry
powder. I saw a recipe for it while I was looking around the net. Thanks.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/15/2014 10:11 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> You can't make a spice mix from herbs... herbs are not spices... you
> can make an herb blend.

LOL! I didn't even catch that when I wrote it. Of course I know herbs
are not spices. I think I had spice racks and jars on the brain when I
wrote this.

> Personally I wouldn't gift people dehy herbs, especially not those
> I've made myself. For one many people will put them away and forget
> them, and many people are loathe to consume homemade food products
> (personally I decline gifts of many homemade foods), I'll gladly
> accept gifts of local honey and maple syrup but I'll politely decline
> someones home canned garden produce. Were I so inclined to gift artsy
> fartsy I would perhaps give homemade beeswax candles, then folks can
> choose to use them or display them, but it's highly unlikely they will
> toss them in the trash. I do gift people fresh garden produce, I even
> trade with my neighbors, but I'm fussy about other peoples food prep

People who would be the recipients of these herb blends would gladly use
them, that much I'm sure of. And I know how much fresh you have to buy
or grow to yield the amount of dried you need to make a blend in a small
2 oz jar.

I always like to include homemade gifts along with purchased gifts at
holiday time.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/15/2014 12:18 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-10-15, Cheryl > wrote:
>
>> Another spice mix I really like is Emeril's Essence. That's one I don't
>> think you can buy in a store, but it's just a cajun mix.

> Two good Creole spice recipes, including Emeril's. The top one is
> better, plus, you can tweak it:
>
> http://www.gumbopages.com/food/creole.html
>
> nb

Very nice, saved! That looks like the Emeril mix I made.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> And I used to use Italian but since I can't use basil now, I don't use that.

Why can't you use basil?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/15/2014 9:50 PM, DavidW wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> And I used to use Italian but since I can't use basil now, I don't use that.

> Why can't you use basil?

RUHROH, prepare for the deluge!! Can anyone guess how many reasons
there are why the bove cannot and will not use basil? Any one taking
odds and wagers???

Sky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 22:01:14 -0500, Sky >
wrote:

>On 10/15/2014 9:50 PM, DavidW wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> And I used to use Italian but since I can't use basil now, I don't use that.

>> Why can't you use basil?
>>

>RUHROH, prepare for the deluge!! Can anyone guess how many reasons
>there are why the bove cannot and will not use basil? Any one taking
>odds and wagers???

WTF?? Now it's Basil?? ROTFL...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 10/15/2014 9:50 PM, DavidW wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> And I used to use Italian but since I can't use basil now, I don't use that.

>> Why can't you use basil?
>>

>RUHROH, prepare for the deluge!! Can anyone guess how many reasons
>there are why the bove cannot and will not use basil? Any one taking
>odds and wagers???
>
>Sky

I can eat basil but I don't because I don't like it, I don't even grow
it anymore.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/15/2014 3:47 PM, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
> On 2014-10-15 20:32:27 +0000, sf said:
>
>> As with everything else, there are regional variations and they vary
>> from town to town, family to family. I'm currently trying to figure
>> out the components I want to use in the Harissa I plan to make for
>> myself now that my stash of commercial is almost gone.

> Any time I make something like this, I usually create several test
> batches with varying components before I decide what to include in the
> final blend. Even then I usually only make a small jar of any spice
> blend, and reserve the rest of the spices unmixed. I have a lot of Ball
> jars hanging around with spices in them but spices don't go bad as long
> as they are stored in an airtight container and away from sunlight.

This is one of my favorite spice mixes. I sprinkle this on chicken,
pork, beef, fish. When I make tacos, I add 1 teaspoon Soul Seasoning,
some chile powder and cumin.

Soul Seasoning

2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons black pepper, ground
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Blend spices together. Store in spice jar or air tight container.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/16/2014 4:02 PM, Becca EmaNymton wrote:

> This is one of my favorite spice mixes. I sprinkle this on chicken,
> pork, beef, fish. When I make tacos, I add 1 teaspoon Soul Seasoning,
> some chile powder and cumin.
>
> Soul Seasoning
>
> 2 tablespoons salt
> 2 tablespoons black pepper, ground
> 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
> 1 tablespoon paprika
> 1 tablespoon onion powder
> 1 teaspoon garlic powder
>
> Blend spices together. Store in spice jar or air tight container.

Thanks Becca! That looks like a winner to me.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/15/2014 11:01 PM, Sky wrote:
> On 10/15/2014 9:50 PM, DavidW wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> And I used to use Italian but since I can't use basil now, I don't
>>> use that.

>> Why can't you use basil?
>>

> RUHROH, prepare for the deluge!! Can anyone guess how many reasons
> there are why the bove cannot and will not use basil? Any one taking
> odds and wagers???
>
> Sky

I'm sure there will be some reason. I'll have to wait until someone
else replies to her response to read the three paragraph explanation
about why no basil. Hopefully it has nothing to do with raccoons.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> What are your favorite spice mixes? It's that time of year again and I'm
> going to make up jars of spice mixes to go with Christmas gifts this
> year. I know I can't get some of the herbs locally fresh, but I can get
> the imported ones and dry them myself, such as some that go into Italian
> Seasoning. I just dried some parsley and basil because they were
> getting to the point to use them or lose them. I made some Italian
> seasoning with some dried herbs added.
>
> I plan to buy anything I'm going to use for gifts fresh if they're
> already dried, and anything I can dry myself I will. I also just found
> some cute spice jars on Amazon along with some "chalkboard" labels with
> a chalk pen, so the bottles can be relabeled if the giftee wants to do so.

This is not mine, unfortunately I didn't note where I found it. If it
came from RFC, my apologies, because it's an excellent mixture. Most
of the ingredients are what you'd normally expect to find in a rub,
but the ground coriander makes it special.

Basic BBQ Rub

2T cup salt (non-iodized)
3 Tbs Brown Sugar
2 Tbs Black Pepper (coarse)
1 Tbs. Garlic (granulated)
1 Tbs. Paprika (smoked paprika optional)
1 Tbs. Coriander Powder
1 Tsp. Onion Powder
1 Tsp. ground Cumin
1 Tsp. Cayenne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 10/15/2014 11:01 PM, Sky wrote:
>>>
>>> Why can't you use basil?
>>>

>> RUHROH, prepare for the deluge!! Can anyone guess how many reasons
>> there are why the bove cannot and will not use basil? Any one taking
>> odds and wagers???
>>
>> Sky
>>

> I'm sure there will be some reason. I'll have to wait until someone else
> replies to her response to read the three paragraph explanation about why
> no basil. Hopefully it has nothing to do with raccoons.
>
> Jill

*Sigh* Both daughter and I are intolerant to it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-16 20:02:25 +0000, Becca EmaNymton said:

> On 10/15/2014 3:47 PM, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
>> On 2014-10-15 20:32:27 +0000, sf said:
>>
>>> As with everything else, there are regional variations and they vary
>>> from town to town, family to family. I'm currently trying to figure
>>> out the components I want to use in the Harissa I plan to make for
>>> myself now that my stash of commercial is almost gone.

>> Any time I make something like this, I usually create several test
>> batches with varying components before I decide what to include in the
>> final blend. Even then I usually only make a small jar of any spice
>> blend, and reserve the rest of the spices unmixed. I have a lot of Ball
>> jars hanging around with spices in them but spices don't go bad as long
>> as they are stored in an airtight container and away from sunlight.

> This is one of my favorite spice mixes. I sprinkle this on chicken,
> pork, beef, fish. When I make tacos, I add 1 teaspoon Soul Seasoning,
> some chile powder and cumin.
>
> Soul Seasoning
>
> 2 tablespoons salt
> 2 tablespoons black pepper, ground
> 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
> 1 tablespoon paprika
> 1 tablespoon onion powder
> 1 teaspoon garlic powder
>
> Blend spices together. Store in spice jar or air tight container.
>
> Becca

This is almost exactly the rub that I put on chickens for the BBQ!