FoodBanter.com

-   -   Cornstarch in cookies? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/431204-cornstarch-cookies.html)

Kalmia 12-10-2014 10:11 PM

Cornstarch in cookies?

Have you ever run into a cookie recipe calling for cornstarch? Someone in another forum asked what she could substitute, as she had no cornstarch on hand. What would one substitute? What purpose would the cornstarch serve in a cookie dough?

I can't imagine not having cornstarch on hand, but then again, I'm the only idiot here who stocks tomato paste.

Janet Bostwick 12-10-2014 10:34 PM

Cornstarch in cookies?

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 14:11:49 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>Have you ever run into a cookie recipe calling for cornstarch? Someone in another forum asked what she could substitute, as she had no cornstarch on hand. What would one substitute? What purpose would the cornstarch serve in a cookie dough?
>
>I can't imagine not having cornstarch on hand, but then again, I'm the only idiot here who stocks tomato paste.

I think it makes the cookies lighter by making the flour almost but
not quite cake flour. You know how silky cake flour is. I bet the
cookie is some sort of short bread.
Janet US

Becca EmaNymton 12-10-2014 10:47 PM

Cornstarch in cookies?

On 10/12/2014 4:11 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> Have you ever run into a cookie recipe calling for cornstarch?
> Someone in another forum asked what she could substitute, as she had
> no cornstarch on hand. What would one substitute? What purpose
> would the cornstarch serve in a cookie dough?
>
> I can't imagine not having cornstarch on hand, but then again, I'm
> the only idiot here who stocks tomato paste.

You could substitute by using rice flour, tapioca starch, potato starch.

Becca

sf[_9_] 12-10-2014 11:03 PM

Cornstarch in cookies?

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 14:11:49 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> Have you ever run into a cookie recipe calling for cornstarch? Someone in another forum asked what she could substitute, as she had no cornstarch on hand. What would one substitute? What purpose would the cornstarch serve in a cookie dough?

A better question would be why is she using that recipe and what
powdery substance does she have on hand, fairy dust? I think the best
1:1 substitution would probably be rice flour (Machiko is a well known
brand)... but I doubt she'd have that if she doesn't have cornstarch.

> I can't imagine not having cornstarch on hand, but then again, I'm the only idiot here who stocks tomato paste.

I'm with you on the cornstarch and will join your tomato paste team
because I have at least 4 cans of it in the cupboard.

jmcquown[_2_] 12-10-2014 11:10 PM

Cornstarch in cookies?

On 10/12/2014 5:34 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 14:11:49 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
>> Have you ever run into a cookie recipe calling for cornstarch? Someone in another forum asked what she could substitute, as she had no cornstarch on hand. What would one substitute? What purpose would the cornstarch serve in a cookie dough?
>>
>> I can't imagine not having cornstarch on hand, but then again, I'm the only idiot here who stocks tomato paste.

> I think it makes the cookies lighter by making the flour almost but
> not quite cake flour. You know how silky cake flour is. I bet the
> cookie is some sort of short bread.
> Janet US

The substitute would be arrowroot. But if she didn't have cornstarch in
the house it's doubtful there would be arrowroot.

Jill

jmcquown[_2_] 12-10-2014 11:12 PM

Cornstarch in cookies?

On 10/12/2014 6:03 PM, sf wrote:
> I'm with you on the cornstarch and will join your tomato paste team
> because I have at least 4 cans of it in the cupboard.

I always have tomato paste in the cupboard. Also cornstarch, even
though I don't bake. I use it as a slurry with cold water to thicken gravy.

Jill

Dave Smith[_1_] 12-10-2014 11:26 PM

Cornstarch in cookies?

On 2014-10-12 5:11 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> Have you ever run into a cookie recipe calling for cornstarch?
> Someone in another forum asked what she could substitute, as she had
> no cornstarch on hand. What would one substitute? What purpose
> would the cornstarch serve in a cookie dough?
>
> I can't imagine not having cornstarch on hand, but then again, I'm
> the only idiot here who stocks tomato paste.

What a coincidence. I made an apple pie today and used cornstarch. I was
surprised that the cornstarch was in a cardboard box because I was sure
that I had bought a new one in plastic.... with the intention of reusing
the plastic with bulk cornstarch. It was in the cupboard behind the
cardboard box, and it had probably been there for a year. It is one
thing we will not ever likely run out of.

I cooked up some ox tails for supper and needed a bit of tomato paste. I
rarely use that stuff, but I had a tube of it in the fridge and there
are three cans of it in the cupboard.

Julie Bove[_2_] 12-10-2014 11:49 PM

Cornstarch in cookies?

http://www.recipe.com/melting-moments/

dsi1[_15_] 12-10-2014 11:57 PM

Cornstarch in cookies?

On 10/12/2014 12:49 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
>> Have you ever run into a cookie recipe calling for cornstarch?
>> Someone in another forum asked what she could substitute, as she had
>> no cornstarch on hand. What would one substitute? What purpose
>> would the cornstarch serve in a cookie dough?
>>
>> I can't imagine not having cornstarch on hand, but then again, I'm the
>> only idiot here who stocks tomato paste.

> http://www.recipe.com/melting-moments/

I have made these before. They have quite a delicate texture. Very nice!

Julie Bove[_2_] 13-10-2014 05:18 AM

Cornstarch in cookies?

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 10/12/2014 12:49 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
>>> Have you ever run into a cookie recipe calling for cornstarch?
>>> Someone in another forum asked what she could substitute, as she had
>>> no cornstarch on hand. What would one substitute? What purpose
>>> would the cornstarch serve in a cookie dough?
>>>
>>> I can't imagine not having cornstarch on hand, but then again, I'm the
>>> only idiot here who stocks tomato paste.

>> http://www.recipe.com/melting-moments/

> I have made these before. They have quite a delicate texture. Very nice!

I used to love them and they are super easy to make! They do break easily
though so not good for shipping. So I was totally taken aback when they
re-did them on Cook's Country, America's Test Kitchen because of the mouth
feel. I didn't mind that at all!

brooklyn1 13-10-2014 01:54 PM

Cornstarch in cookies?

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 21:18:24 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> http://www.recipe.com/melting-moments/

>> I have made these before. They have quite a delicate texture. Very nice!

>I used to love them and they are super easy to make! They do break easily
>though so not good for shipping. So I was totally taken aback when they
>re-did them on Cook's Country, America's Test Kitchen because of the mouth
>feel. I didn't mind that at all!

I always have plenty of corn starch. I cook a lot of Chinese dishes,
I buy corn starch five pounds at a shot.