FoodBanter.com

-   -   Mongolian beef (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/431148-mongolian-beef.html)

Travis McGee 07-10-2014 05:32 AM

Mongolian beef

I made Mongolian beef tonight, and it came out great. I have several
Chinese cookbooks, but none of them had a recipe for this dish, I
suspect because it's "American Chinese", and not an "authentic" recipe.

So, I found this on the net. It is nicely balanced, not too sweet, not
too hot, not too much gloppy sauce, not too salty (I used regular soy
sauce, and left out the salt). I used ribeye, and served it over jasmine
rice.

Mongolian Beef
Serve this slightly spicy dish over wide rice noodles to catch all the
garlic- and ginger-laced sauce.

Cooking Light NOVEMBER 2012
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
Total:20 Minutes

Ingredients
2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons dry sherry
2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon chile paste with garlic (such as sambal oelek)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons peanut oil
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
1 pound sirloin steak, thinly sliced across the grain
16 medium green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces

Preparation
1. Combine first 8 ingredients, stirring until smooth.
2. Heat peanut oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add minced ginger, minced garlic, and beef; sauté for 2 minutes or until
beef is browned. Add green onion pieces; sauté 30 seconds. Add soy sauce
mixture; cook 1 minute or until thickened, stirring constantly.

Note:
This recipe originally ran in Cooking Light December, 2009 and was
updated for the November, 2012 25th anniversary issue.

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving

Calories: 237
Fat: 10.5g
Saturated fat: 3.5g
Monounsaturated fat: 4.3g
Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
Protein: 26g
Carbohydrate: 9.1g
Fiber: 1.7g
Cholesterol: 60mg
Iron: 2.7mg
Sodium: 517mg
Calcium: 67mg

Julie Bove[_2_] 07-10-2014 05:59 AM

Mongolian beef

"Travis McGee" > wrote in message
>I made Mongolian beef tonight, and it came out great. I have several
>Chinese cookbooks, but none of them had a recipe for this dish, I suspect
>because it's "American Chinese", and not an "authentic" recipe.
>
> So, I found this on the net. It is nicely balanced, not too sweet, not too
> hot, not too much gloppy sauce, not too salty (I used regular soy sauce,
> and left out the salt). I used ribeye, and served it over jasmine rice.
>
> Mongolian Beef
> Serve this slightly spicy dish over wide rice noodles to catch all the
> garlic- and ginger-laced sauce.
>
> Cooking Light NOVEMBER 2012
> Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
> Total:20 Minutes
>
> Ingredients
> 2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
> 1 teaspoon sugar
> 1 teaspoon cornstarch
> 2 teaspoons dry sherry
> 2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
> 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
> 1 teaspoon chile paste with garlic (such as sambal oelek)
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 2 teaspoons peanut oil
> 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
> 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
> 1 pound sirloin steak, thinly sliced across the grain
> 16 medium green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
>
> Preparation
> 1. Combine first 8 ingredients, stirring until smooth.
> 2. Heat peanut oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add
> minced ginger, minced garlic, and beef; sauté for 2 minutes or until beef
> is browned. Add green onion pieces; sauté 30 seconds. Add soy sauce
> mixture; cook 1 minute or until thickened, stirring constantly.
>
> Note:
> This recipe originally ran in Cooking Light December, 2009 and was updated
> for the November, 2012 25th anniversary issue.
>
> Nutritional Information
> Amount per serving
>
> Calories: 237
> Fat: 10.5g
> Saturated fat: 3.5g
> Monounsaturated fat: 4.3g
> Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
> Protein: 26g
> Carbohydrate: 9.1g
> Fiber: 1.7g
> Cholesterol: 60mg
> Iron: 2.7mg
> Sodium: 517mg
> Calcium: 67mg

I made beef but no recipe. Beef cut in strips, red pepper, green onions,
little bit of soy sauce, pinch of sugar, little beef broth and a little
Wondra to thicken. Oh, also garlic! Yes, I know that cornstarch or rice
flour would have been better but I didn't feel like fishing around for them.

Timo 07-10-2014 06:51 AM

Mongolian beef

On Tuesday, October 7, 2014 2:32:23 PM UTC+10, Travis McGee wrote:
> I made Mongolian beef tonight, and it came out great. I have several
> Chinese cookbooks, but none of them had a recipe for this dish, I
> suspect because it's "American Chinese", and not an "authentic" recipe.

A friend of mine was in a group hosting some visitors from Mongolia. They took them out for dinner, to a Chinese restaurant. The visitors saw "Mongolian lamb" on the menu, and one ordered it, just to see what it was. When it came, "Ah! This is what we call 'Cantonese lamb'."

Travis McGee 07-10-2014 07:03 AM

Mongolian beef

On 10/7/2014 1:51 AM, Timo wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 7, 2014 2:32:23 PM UTC+10, Travis McGee wrote:
>> I made Mongolian beef tonight, and it came out great. I have several
>> Chinese cookbooks, but none of them had a recipe for this dish, I
>> suspect because it's "American Chinese", and not an "authentic" recipe.

> A friend of mine was in a group hosting some visitors from Mongolia. They took them out for dinner, to a Chinese restaurant. The visitors saw "Mongolian lamb" on the menu, and one ordered it, just to see what it was. When it came, "Ah! This is what we call 'Cantonese lamb'."

Do you know what was in it? Here in the USA "Mongolian Beef" usually
means beef, stir-fried with a lot of onion, and I mean a LOT of onion,
with a sweet, soy flavored sauce. I usually like it from a restaurant,
but this was the first time that I've made it myself.

This recipe differed from the dishes I've had from restaurants in that
it calls only for green onions, hardly cooked at all; the restaurant
versions that I've had usually have a lot of yellow onion, cooked until
fairly soft. Regardless, they are all good.

Timo 07-10-2014 07:41 AM

Mongolian beef

On Tuesday, October 7, 2014 4:03:09 PM UTC+10, Travis McGee wrote:
> On 10/7/2014 1:51 AM, Timo wrote:
> > On Tuesday, October 7, 2014 2:32:23 PM UTC+10, Travis McGee wrote:
> >> I made Mongolian beef tonight, and it came out great. I have several
> >> Chinese cookbooks, but none of them had a recipe for this dish, I
> >> suspect because it's "American Chinese", and not an "authentic" recipe..

> > A friend of mine was in a group hosting some visitors from Mongolia. They took them out for dinner, to a Chinese restaurant. The visitors saw "Mongolian lamb" on the menu, and one ordered it, just to see what it was. When it came, "Ah! This is what we call 'Cantonese lamb'."
> >

> Do you know what was in it? Here in the USA "Mongolian Beef" usually
> means beef, stir-fried with a lot of onion, and I mean a LOT of onion,
> with a sweet, soy flavored sauce. I usually like it from a restaurant,
> but this was the first time that I've made it myself.

Usually white/yellow onion, somtetimes green onion as well, and some other green vegetable (usually green capsicum). Lamb, garlic/ginger/Hoisin sauce.

> This recipe differed from the dishes I've had from restaurants in that
> it calls only for green onions, hardly cooked at all; the restaurant
> versions that I've had usually have a lot of yellow onion, cooked until
> fairly soft. Regardless, they are all good.

I think our Mongolian lamb is the same, with lamb substituted for beef (or vice versa).

Sometimes carrots and/or red capsicum. Sometimes no chilli.

The Chinese version of Mongolian lamb (or beef) is a Sinicised version of a Xinjiang dish (beef instead of lamb is one of the changes), and the American (and Australian) versions are Westernised versions of the Chinese version (sweet Hoisin sauce, less onion).

Lamb, onions, cumin, garlic, ginger, chilli, soy sauce. Maybe rice wine. Some starch (potato) and water if you want it saucier. Sichuan pepper is common.

Classic Uighur treatment of the ingredients might be to skewer and grill, and eat in flatbread, rather than fry in wok + eat with rice/noodles.

sf[_9_] 07-10-2014 05:55 PM

Mongolian beef

On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 00:32:23 -0400, Travis McGee >
wrote:

> I made Mongolian beef tonight, and it came out great. I have several
> Chinese cookbooks, but none of them had a recipe for this dish, I
> suspect because it's "American Chinese", and not an "authentic" recipe.
>
> So, I found this on the net. It is nicely balanced, not too sweet, not
> too hot, not too much gloppy sauce, not too salty (I used regular soy
> sauce, and left out the salt). I used ribeye, and served it over jasmine
> rice.
>
> Mongolian Beef
> Serve this slightly spicy dish over wide rice noodles to catch all the
> garlic- and ginger-laced sauce.
>
> Cooking Light NOVEMBER 2012
> Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
> Total:20 Minutes

Saved, thanks. I like Cooking Light recipes.