Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Penne Pasta with Sausage and Greens

Dinner tonight. This is very easy and tasty and makes a huge pot. I
cooked the sausage, tomatoes, and seasonings together for a while so the
flavors could mingle. The crockpot would be good for that. I used all
spinach; any vegetable would be good in this. I sprinkled some Italian
blend shredded cheese over the top.

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/09/s...pasta-sausage-
greens/

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/5/2014 6:21 PM, Tara wrote:
> Dinner tonight. This is very easy and tasty and makes a huge pot. I
> cooked the sausage, tomatoes, and seasonings together for a while so the
> flavors could mingle. The crockpot would be good for that. I used all
> spinach; any vegetable would be good in this. I sprinkled some Italian
> blend shredded cheese over the top.
>
> http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/09/s...pasta-sausage-
> greens/
>
> Tara

Sounds like a good way to use up stuff from the fridge and freezer. I
would have just used spinach, too. Broccoli doesn't sound quite right
in there, although some cooked diced zucchini might have been a good
addition since it pairs so well with tomatoes.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/5/2014 6:21 PM, Tara wrote:
> Dinner tonight. This is very easy and tasty and makes a huge pot. I
> cooked the sausage, tomatoes, and seasonings together for a while so the
> flavors could mingle. The crockpot would be good for that. I used all
> spinach; any vegetable would be good in this. I sprinkled some Italian
> blend shredded cheese over the top.
>
> http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/09/s...pasta-sausage-
> greens/

That's some of my favorite food, right there. When I order it
out, it generally has chicken in it, the other ingredients vary.
I call it chicken and stuff with penne.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/5/2014 5:21 PM, Tara wrote:
> Dinner tonight. This is very easy and tasty and makes a huge pot. I
> cooked the sausage, tomatoes, and seasonings together for a while so the
> flavors could mingle. The crockpot would be good for that. I used all
> spinach; any vegetable would be good in this. I sprinkled some Italian
> blend shredded cheese over the top.
>
> http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/09/s...pasta-sausage-
> greens/
>
> Tara

Sounds good, Tara, I love pasta and hot Italian sausage, so this recipe
can not go wrong. You mentioned the crockpot, I have a couple of them
and I gave away a couple before we moved here, but I never use them. I
should work on that.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 14:30:22 -0500, Becca EmaNymton
> wrote:

>On 10/5/2014 5:21 PM, Tara wrote:
>> Dinner tonight. This is very easy and tasty and makes a huge pot. I
>> cooked the sausage, tomatoes, and seasonings together for a while so the
>> flavors could mingle. The crockpot would be good for that. I used all
>> spinach; any vegetable would be good in this. I sprinkled some Italian
>> blend shredded cheese over the top.
>>
>> http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/09/s...pasta-sausage-
>> greens/
>>
>> Tara

>Sounds good, Tara, I love pasta and hot Italian sausage, so this recipe
>can not go wrong. You mentioned the crockpot, I have a couple of them
>and I gave away a couple before we moved here, but I never use them. I
>should work on that.
>
>Becca

Unfortunately that's somone elses web site that Tara stole off the
net, not anything she cooked. Why do people here keep doing this
thievery, it's sad, very sad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 14:30:22 -0500, Becca EmaNymton
> wrote:

> On 10/5/2014 5:21 PM, Tara wrote:
> > Dinner tonight. This is very easy and tasty and makes a huge pot. I
> > cooked the sausage, tomatoes, and seasonings together for a while so the
> > flavors could mingle. The crockpot would be good for that. I used all
> > spinach; any vegetable would be good in this. I sprinkled some Italian
> > blend shredded cheese over the top.
> >
> > http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/09/s...pasta-sausage-
> > greens/
> >
> > Tara

> Sounds good, Tara, I love pasta and hot Italian sausage, so this recipe
> can not go wrong. You mentioned the crockpot, I have a couple of them
> and I gave away a couple before we moved here, but I never use them. I
> should work on that.

The crock pot makes spectacular chicken stock too, Becca, and you
don't need to make enough to feed an army. Put the ingredients in
your crock pot after dinner and let it perk all night on low.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/7/2014 3:49 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 14:30:22 -0500, Becca EmaNymton
> > wrote:
>
>> On 10/5/2014 5:21 PM, Tara wrote:
>>> Dinner tonight. This is very easy and tasty and makes a huge pot. I
>>> cooked the sausage, tomatoes, and seasonings together for a while so the
>>> flavors could mingle. The crockpot would be good for that. I used all
>>> spinach; any vegetable would be good in this. I sprinkled some Italian
>>> blend shredded cheese over the top.
>>>
>>> http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/09/s...pasta-sausage-
>>> greens/
>>>
>>> Tara

>> Sounds good, Tara, I love pasta and hot Italian sausage, so this recipe
>> can not go wrong. You mentioned the crockpot, I have a couple of them
>> and I gave away a couple before we moved here, but I never use them. I
>> should work on that.
>>

> The crock pot makes spectacular chicken stock too, Becca, and you
> don't need to make enough to feed an army. Put the ingredients in
> your crock pot after dinner and let it perk all night on low.

One of these days I will do this, they say you add a tablespoon or two
of vinegar and you leave it in the crock pot and ignore it . I roasted a
chicken a couple of days ago, I should have done that with the chicken
bones.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 Oct 2014 07:29:12 -0500, Becca EmaNymton
> wrote:

> One of these days I will do this, they say you add a tablespoon or two
> of vinegar and you leave it in the crock pot and ignore it . I roasted a
> chicken a couple of days ago, I should have done that with the chicken
> bones.

That's how I use the chicken's carcass. I haven't heard about adding
vinegar to chicken stock before. I just do the usual carrot, onion,
celery - some tomato if I have one in the refrigerator or a tablespoon
of pre-portioned tomato paste from the freezer. If I don't have those
on hand, then a big squirt of Simply Heinz does the trick (maybe
that's where the vinegar idea came from).

I turn my crockpot on high for 20 minutes or so to bring the water up
to temp faster. Turn it down and forget about it until sometime the
next morning when I strain it. Actually, I have a wonderful "spider"
that I use to lift the bones and vegetables out. The stock stays nice
and clear that way. I pass it through a fine mesh strainer after I've
taken the bulk of bones and vegetables out.

If you don't have one, my spider's basket is similar to this one
http://www.allianceonline.co.uk/prod...s/LBSK0122.jpg
except the handle is a lot nicer. Best of all, it was extremely
inexpensive - somewhere around $5 at the Asian market.
I use mine so much (it's great for lifting pasta, like penne, out of
cooking water) that I bought one for DD and DIL, just so I could have
one to use when I'm cooking in their homes. Turns out they like it
too, so win-win.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca EmaNymton" > wrote in message

> One of these days I will do this, they say you add a tablespoon or two of
> vinegar and you leave it in the crock pot and ignore it . I roasted a
> chicken a couple of days ago, I should have done that with the chicken
> bones.

Just vinegar - no water?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 Oct 2014 06:57:39 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Oct 2014 07:29:12 -0500, Becca EmaNymton
> wrote:
>
>> One of these days I will do this, they say you add a tablespoon or two
>> of vinegar and you leave it in the crock pot and ignore it . I roasted a
>> chicken a couple of days ago, I should have done that with the chicken
>> bones.

>That's how I use the chicken's carcass. I haven't heard about adding
>vinegar to chicken stock before. I just do the usual carrot, onion,
>celery - some tomato if I have one in the refrigerator or a tablespoon
>of pre-portioned tomato paste from the freezer. If I don't have those
>on hand, then a big squirt of Simply Heinz does the trick (maybe
>that's where the vinegar idea came from).
>
>I turn my crockpot on high for 20 minutes or so to bring the water up
>to temp faster. Turn it down and forget about it until sometime the
>next morning when I strain it. Actually, I have a wonderful "spider"
>that I use to lift the bones and vegetables out. The stock stays nice
>and clear that way. I pass it through a fine mesh strainer after I've
>taken the bulk of bones and vegetables out.
>
>If you don't have one, my spider's basket is similar to this one
>http://www.allianceonline.co.uk/prod...s/LBSK0122.jpg
>except the handle is a lot nicer. Best of all, it was extremely
>inexpensive - somewhere around $5 at the Asian market.
>I use mine so much (it's great for lifting pasta, like penne, out of
>cooking water) that I bought one for DD and DIL, just so I could have
>one to use when I'm cooking in their homes. Turns out they like it
>too, so win-win.

I heard the lemon (vinegar) thing years and years ago. It's supposed
to extract all the goodies from the bones.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/8/2014 8:57 AM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Oct 2014 07:29:12 -0500, Becca EmaNymton
> > wrote:
>
>> One of these days I will do this, they say you add a tablespoon or two
>> of vinegar and you leave it in the crock pot and ignore it . I roasted a
>> chicken a couple of days ago, I should have done that with the chicken
>> bones.

> That's how I use the chicken's carcass. I haven't heard about adding
> vinegar to chicken stock before. I just do the usual carrot, onion,
> celery - some tomato if I have one in the refrigerator or a tablespoon
> of pre-portioned tomato paste from the freezer. If I don't have those
> on hand, then a big squirt of Simply Heinz does the trick (maybe
> that's where the vinegar idea came from).
>
> I turn my crockpot on high for 20 minutes or so to bring the water up
> to temp faster. Turn it down and forget about it until sometime the
> next morning when I strain it. Actually, I have a wonderful "spider"
> that I use to lift the bones and vegetables out. The stock stays nice
> and clear that way. I pass it through a fine mesh strainer after I've
> taken the bulk of bones and vegetables out.
>
> If you don't have one, my spider's basket is similar to this one
> http://www.allianceonline.co.uk/prod...s/LBSK0122.jpg
> except the handle is a lot nicer. Best of all, it was extremely
> inexpensive - somewhere around $5 at the Asian market.
> I use mine so much (it's great for lifting pasta, like penne, out of
> cooking water) that I bought one for DD and DIL, just so I could have
> one to use when I'm cooking in their homes. Turns out they like it
> too, so win-win.

My spider is small and I need a large one like yours, they are handy to
have around.

When it comes to recipes, I can read them all day, but I do not like
recipe videos - except for Rockin' Robin. Here is her video on making
chicken broth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7J9...em-subs_digest

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/8/2014 10:08 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Becca EmaNymton" > wrote in message
>
>> One of these days I will do this, they say you add a tablespoon or two
>> of vinegar and you leave it in the crock pot and ignore it . I roasted
>> a chicken a couple of days ago, I should have done that with the
>> chicken bones.

> Just vinegar - no water?

Yes, you add enough water to cover the bones and you add a tablespoon or
two of vinegar or lemon juice. Of course you would add onions, celery
and whatever you use to make chicken stock.

I just posted Rockin' Robin's video where she makes chicken stock in a
crock pot. Here is the video again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7J9...em-subs_digest

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca EmaNymton" > wrote in message
> On 10/8/2014 10:08 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Becca EmaNymton" > wrote in message
>>
>>> One of these days I will do this, they say you add a tablespoon or two
>>> of vinegar and you leave it in the crock pot and ignore it . I roasted
>>> a chicken a couple of days ago, I should have done that with the
>>> chicken bones.

>> Just vinegar - no water?

> Yes, you add enough water to cover the bones and you add a tablespoon or
> two of vinegar or lemon juice. Of course you would add onions, celery and
> whatever you use to make chicken stock.

Thanks, that sound good

> I just posted Rockin' Robin's video where she makes chicken stock in a
> crock pot. Here is the video again.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7J9...em-subs_digest

Yes, I just watched that, thanks. It seems she is using bones from ready
cooked chicken? I usually use raw bones. Do you think that is better?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/7/2014 4:31 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 14:30:22 -0500, Becca EmaNymton
> > wrote:
>
>> On 10/5/2014 5:21 PM, Tara wrote:
>>> Dinner tonight. This is very easy and tasty and makes a huge pot. I
>>> cooked the sausage, tomatoes, and seasonings together for a while so the
>>> flavors could mingle. The crockpot would be good for that. I used all
>>> spinach; any vegetable would be good in this. I sprinkled some Italian
>>> blend shredded cheese over the top.
>>>
>>> http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/09/s...pasta-sausage-
>>> greens/
>>>
>>> Tara

>> Sounds good, Tara, I love pasta and hot Italian sausage, so this recipe
>> can not go wrong. You mentioned the crockpot, I have a couple of them
>> and I gave away a couple before we moved here, but I never use them. I
>> should work on that.
>>
>> Becca

> Unfortunately that's somone elses web site that Tara stole off the
> net, not anything she cooked. Why do people here keep doing this
> thievery, it's sad, very sad.

No, what's sad is you cannot accept people get recipes online or from
cookbooks. Pictures not required. I'm mostly disinterested in taking
pictures of what I cook. I'd much rather eat it than stand around
photographing it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 8, 2014 11:07:51 PM UTC+1, Ophelia wrote:
> "Becca EmaNymton" > wrote in message

On 10/8/2014 10:08 AM, Ophelia wrote:
"Becca EmaNymton" > wrote in message

One of these days I will do this, they say you add a tablespoon or two of vinegar and you leave it in the crock pot and ignore it . I roasted a chicken a couple of days ago, I should have done that with the chicken bones.
-

Just vinegar - no water?
-

Yes, you add enough water to cover the bones and you add a tablespoon or
two of vinegar or lemon juice. Of course you would add onions, celery and
whatever you use to make chicken stock.
-

Thanks, that sound good
-

I just posted Rockin' Robin's video where she makes chicken stock in a crock pot. Here is the video again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7J9...em-subs_digest
-

Yes, I just watched that, thanks. It seems she is using bones from ready
cooked chicken? I usually use raw bones. Do you think that is better?
-

If all I've got is raw bones I freeze them until the next time I have the oven on and them in and roast them. The roasting gives a darker colour stock, but I it find more flavoursome. Once the stock is done I turn the heat up and simmer it gently without the lid and reduce it by half. This concentrates the flavour further and the I freeze in ice cube trays. This way I only use half the amount of cubes.

As an aside, online organic butchers sell chicken carcasses dirt cheap by the kilo. They are worth getting and breaking down to save space in the freezer until needed.

As a further aside, some of these online butchers will also sell chicken wing tips. Not only are they great for stock, but the little bones in them are soft and easily digestible by dogs. My mum used to roast and cook up a couple of kilo of wing tips then reduce down until once cold the stock set solid. Our dogs loved it chopped up with their biscuits.

Cherry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 Oct 2014 16:26:40 -0500, Becca EmaNymton
> wrote:

> On 10/8/2014 8:57 AM, sf wrote:
> >
> > If you don't have one, my spider's basket is similar to this one
> > http://www.allianceonline.co.uk/prod...s/LBSK0122.jpg
> > except the handle is a lot nicer. Best of all, it was extremely
> > inexpensive - somewhere around $5 at the Asian market.
> > I use mine so much (it's great for lifting pasta, like penne, out of
> > cooking water) that I bought one for DD and DIL, just so I could have
> > one to use when I'm cooking in their homes. Turns out they like it
> > too, so win-win.

> My spider is small and I need a large one like yours, they are handy to
> have around.
>
> When it comes to recipes, I can read them all day, but I do not like
> recipe videos - except for Rockin' Robin. Here is her video on making
> chicken broth.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7J9...em-subs_digest

Okay, I'm convinced! I'll use lemon (the entire thing). Another
thing I like to do is use the brown outer skin of the onion for better
color. Glad to see she lets hers perk for two days. I've often let
mine go for 24 hours, but never 48.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cherry" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, October 8, 2014 11:07:51 PM UTC+1, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Becca EmaNymton" > wrote in message

> I just posted Rockin' Robin's video where she makes chicken stock in a
> crock pot. Here is the video again.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7J9...em-subs_digest
> -
>
> Yes, I just watched that, thanks. It seems she is using bones from ready
> cooked chicken? I usually use raw bones. Do you think that is better?
> ----
>
> If all I've got is raw bones I freeze them until the next time I have the
> oven on and them in and roast them. The roasting gives a darker colour
> stock, but I it find more flavoursome. Once the stock is done I turn the
> heat up and simmer it gently without the lid and reduce it by half. This
> concentrates the flavour further and the I freeze in ice cube trays. This
> way I only use half the amount of cubes.

I always roast big bones but never have roasted chicken bones. I reduce
my stock too and freeze in silicone bun trays.

> As an aside, online organic butchers sell chicken carcasses dirt cheap by
> the kilo. They are worth getting and breaking down to save space in the
> freezer until needed.

I haven't seen that. I cook a lot of chicken and always buy whole ones
and cut them up myself, so I have chicken stock aplenty I usually have
some stock simmering on the stove. I rarely roast a whole one.

> As a further aside, some of these online butchers will also sell chicken
> wing tips. Not only are they great for stock, but the little bones in
> them are soft and easily digestible by dogs. My mum used to roast and
> cook up a couple of kilo of wing tips then reduce down until once cold the
> stock set solid. Our dogs loved it chopped up with their biscuits.

Yes, my dog likes that too

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Oct 2014 09:57:06 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> I always roast big bones but never have roasted chicken bones. I

Chicken bones can be used either raw or cooked. I sometimes roast raw
chicken bones because I like the color well browned bones add to stock
and for no other reason. While I'm at it, I roast the mirepoix
vegetables too. The original point was that using the carcass to make
stock is the last way to use a roasted chicken. Waste not want not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 9 Oct 2014 09:57:06 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> I always roast big bones but never have roasted chicken bones. I

> Chicken bones can be used either raw or cooked. I sometimes roast raw
> chicken bones because I like the color well browned bones add to stock
> and for no other reason. While I'm at it, I roast the mirepoix
> vegetables too. The original point was that using the carcass to make
> stock is the last way to use a roasted chicken. Waste not want not.

I will give it a try, thanks I always use the carcass because as I said,
I don't buy parts, I always buy whole chickens. It is a rare day I don't
have chicken stock simmering. I often do mine over a couple of days too but
not continuously. I might stop at night and continue in the morning.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Recipe of Penne Pasta Himali Recipes 5 01-05-2014 02:46 PM
Penne Pasta With Portobello & Cheese Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 19-08-2007 05:44 PM
Penne with Braised Squash and Greens Chef Tamara Recipes (moderated) 0 18-12-2006 01:09 AM
What's penne pasta? Ken Knecht General Cooking 28 14-05-2006 06:10 PM
Penne with Sausage and Mushrooms International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 16-12-2005 01:29 PM