Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default American Chop Suey

That's what I made for dinner tonight. I found the recipe in the
notebook I keep on the bedside table. I must have written it down
during some Food Network or similar show.
It isn't what my mother made.
It isn't precisely what I make (mine trends more to chili Mac)
Do you make something similar? What do you call your version?

AMERICAN CHOP SUEY
10/2/2014 - Janet
1 pound ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
Plenty of chopped garlic
Fresh basil
Fresh parsley
Oregano
Salt & pepper
1 can tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
Scant 3 cups dry macaroni

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> That's what I made for dinner tonight. I found the recipe in the
> notebook I keep on the bedside table. I must have written it down
> during some Food Network or similar show.
> It isn't what my mother made.
> It isn't precisely what I make (mine trends more to chili Mac)
> Do you make something similar? What do you call your version?
>
> AMERICAN CHOP SUEY
> 10/2/2014 - Janet
> 1 pound ground beef
> 1 cup chopped onion
> 1 cup chopped green pepper
> Plenty of chopped garlic
> Fresh basil
> Fresh parsley
> Oregano
> Salt & pepper
> 1 can tomato sauce
> 1 can diced tomatoes
> Scant 3 cups dry macaroni
>
> Janet US

That's an odd recipe, for chop suey anyway... I do make macaroni, beef and
tomatoes but I usually put chili powder in it. I can't imagine pasta with
chop suey. I did have it once, made by a Japanese woman. She laughed about
and said that things like that make Americans happy as they don't like the
Japanese flavor profile. I do know some people who like Japanese food but I
don't.

What she made did have onion, green pepper and ground beef in it. I don't
remember the tomatoes. And it had white rice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 2, 2014 9:33:50 PM UTC-7, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> That's what I made for dinner tonight. I found the recipe in the
> notebook I keep on the bedside table. I must have written it down
> during some Food Network or similar show.
> It isn't what my mother made.
> It isn't precisely what I make (mine trends more to chili Mac)
> Do you make something similar? What do you call your version?

Growing up, we just called our version "spaghetti." But we still
boiled the pasta separately from the sauce.

> AMERICAN CHOP SUEY
>
> 10/2/2014 - Janet
>
> 1 pound ground beef
> 1 cup chopped onion
> 1 cup chopped green pepper
> Plenty of chopped garlic
> Fresh basil
> Fresh parsley
> Oregano
> Salt & pepper
> 1 can tomato sauce
> 1 can diced tomatoes
> Scant 3 cups dry macaroni

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/3/2014 12:33 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> That's what I made for dinner tonight. I found the recipe in the
> notebook I keep on the bedside table. I must have written it down
> during some Food Network or similar show.
> It isn't what my mother made.
> It isn't precisely what I make (mine trends more to chili Mac)
> Do you make something similar? What do you call your version?
>
> AMERICAN CHOP SUEY
> 10/2/2014 - Janet
> 1 pound ground beef
> 1 cup chopped onion
> 1 cup chopped green pepper
> Plenty of chopped garlic
> Fresh basil
> Fresh parsley
> Oregano
> Salt & pepper
> 1 can tomato sauce
> 1 can diced tomatoes
> Scant 3 cups dry macaroni
>
> Janet US

I've never called it Chop Suey. I think chili-mac (or beefaroni) is
closer to the mark. 30 years ago my [ex-] husband and I were invited to
dinner at a friend's house. We were told they were serving "goulash".
I was expecting a sort of beef stew. It turned out to be what you
posted above, whatever you call it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 3 Oct 2014 11:52:21 +0100, Janet > wrote:
snip
> "chop suey", here, implies a stirfry including a little meat with
>noodles and lots of veg , beansprouts or bamboo shoots.. and a little
>soy sauce, no tomatoes.
>
> Janet UK

Yes, it implies similar here as well. Wiki says the name American
Chop Suey may originate from the idea that this dish was a stir
together of meat and vegetables.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 07:59:43 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 10/3/2014 12:33 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> That's what I made for dinner tonight. I found the recipe in the
>> notebook I keep on the bedside table. I must have written it down
>> during some Food Network or similar show.
>> It isn't what my mother made.
>> It isn't precisely what I make (mine trends more to chili Mac)
>> Do you make something similar? What do you call your version?
>>
>> AMERICAN CHOP SUEY
>> 10/2/2014 - Janet
>> 1 pound ground beef
>> 1 cup chopped onion
>> 1 cup chopped green pepper
>> Plenty of chopped garlic
>> Fresh basil
>> Fresh parsley
>> Oregano
>> Salt & pepper
>> 1 can tomato sauce
>> 1 can diced tomatoes
>> Scant 3 cups dry macaroni
>>
>> Janet US
>>

>I've never called it Chop Suey. I think chili-mac (or beefaroni) is
>closer to the mark. 30 years ago my [ex-] husband and I were invited to
>dinner at a friend's house. We were told they were serving "goulash".
>I was expecting a sort of beef stew. It turned out to be what you
>posted above, whatever you call it.
>
>Jill

My mother called it American spaghetti
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 3 Oct 2014 11:52:21 +0100, Janet > wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
> >
> > That's what I made for dinner tonight. I found the recipe in the
> > notebook I keep on the bedside table. I must have written it down
> > during some Food Network or similar show.
> > It isn't what my mother made.
> > It isn't precisely what I make (mine trends more to chili Mac)
> > Do you make something similar? What do you call your version?
> >
> > AMERICAN CHOP SUEY
> > 10/2/2014 - Janet
> > 1 pound ground beef
> > 1 cup chopped onion
> > 1 cup chopped green pepper
> > Plenty of chopped garlic
> > Fresh basil
> > Fresh parsley
> > Oregano
> > Salt & pepper
> > 1 can tomato sauce
> > 1 can diced tomatoes
> > Scant 3 cups dry macaroni
> >
> > Janet US

> My children nicknamed any kind of much-loved, very variable
> meat/veg/pasta/saucy combo "Mishmash" and it stuck. We still make it,
> especially when their children come, because they love mishmash too.
>
> "chop suey", here, implies a stirfry including a little meat with
> noodles and lots of veg , beansprouts or bamboo shoots.. and a little
> soy sauce, no tomatoes.
>
> Janet UK

"Chop suey" is a regional term. My mother called her version of the
above "goulash". I don't remember if the noodles were cooked
separately and added later or if they cooked along with everything
else.

For me, chop suey is only one thing: Chung King in a can with crispy
noodles that are reminiscent of dry Ramen, only worse.
http://envisioningtheamericandream.f...7446.jpg?w=710
Nasty stuff, my stomach still goes into a knot when I think about it.
Mom wasn't much of a cook, so it was in the meal rotation and served
regularly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/3/2014 7:59 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 10/3/2014 12:33 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> That's what I made for dinner tonight. I found the recipe in the
>> notebook I keep on the bedside table. I must have written it down
>> during some Food Network or similar show.
>> It isn't what my mother made.
>> It isn't precisely what I make (mine trends more to chili Mac)
>> Do you make something similar? What do you call your version?
>>
>> AMERICAN CHOP SUEY
>> 10/2/2014 - Janet
>> 1 pound ground beef
>> 1 cup chopped onion
>> 1 cup chopped green pepper
>> Plenty of chopped garlic
>> Fresh basil
>> Fresh parsley
>> Oregano
>> Salt & pepper
>> 1 can tomato sauce
>> 1 can diced tomatoes
>> Scant 3 cups dry macaroni
>>
>> Janet US
>>

> I've never called it Chop Suey. I think chili-mac (or beefaroni) is
> closer to the mark. 30 years ago my [ex-] husband and I were invited to
> dinner at a friend's house. We were told they were serving "goulash". I
> was expecting a sort of beef stew. It turned out to be what you posted
> above, whatever you call it.
>
> Jill

Mom used to make this all the time, and called it "goulash". It's a
Midwestern dish, as far as I can tell; Mom was from the Midwest. I still
make it myself from time to time.

We used to have a "Chop Suey" as well, that wasn't similar:

*_Chop Suey_*

1 lb meat (we usually used either ground beef or leftover chicken)
oil if necessary, 1/4 cup
soy sauce 6 Tbsp
corn starch 3 Tbsp
sugar 2 tsp
chop suey veggies - 1 bag (You used to be able to buy these all ready to
use as "Chop Suey Vegetables" back then. If they aren't available any
more, use your imagination)

Brown meat in oil, drain if using hamburger. Add soy sauce, sugar. Mix
thoroughly with meat in skillet. Add water 4 cups and veggies. Mix and
cook until veggies are done. Mix corn starch with 1/2 cup water. Stir
in. Cook until sauce is clear. Serve over canned fried "Chop Suey noodles".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/3/2014 10:00 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Oct 2014 11:52:21 +0100, Janet > wrote:
> snip
>> "chop suey", here, implies a stirfry including a little meat with
>> noodles and lots of veg , beansprouts or bamboo shoots.. and a little
>> soy sauce, no tomatoes.
>>
>> Janet UK

> Yes, it implies similar here as well. Wiki says the name American
> Chop Suey may originate from the idea that this dish was a stir
> together of meat and vegetables.
> Janet US

Since Chop Suey appears to have originated in California, "American"
Chop Suey seems a bit redundant.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 07:08:39 -0700, sf > wrote:
snip

>For me, chop suey is only one thing: Chung King in a can with crispy
>noodles that are reminiscent of dry Ramen, only worse.
>http://envisioningtheamericandream.f...7446.jpg?w=710
>Nasty stuff, my stomach still goes into a knot when I think about it.
>Mom wasn't much of a cook, so it was in the meal rotation and served
>regularly.

Chop Suey was the same for me as you describe. I only heard the term
American Chop Suey within the last few years. I thought it would be
amusing to see how many different terms there were for essentially the
same comfort food.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/3/2014 10:11 AM, Travis McGee wrote:
> On 10/3/2014 7:59 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 10/3/2014 12:33 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>> That's what I made for dinner tonight. I found the recipe in the
>>> notebook I keep on the bedside table. I must have written it down
>>> during some Food Network or similar show.
>>> It isn't what my mother made.
>>> It isn't precisely what I make (mine trends more to chili Mac)
>>> Do you make something similar? What do you call your version?
>>>
>>> AMERICAN CHOP SUEY
>>> 10/2/2014 - Janet
>>> 1 pound ground beef
>>> 1 cup chopped onion
>>> 1 cup chopped green pepper
>>> Plenty of chopped garlic
>>> Fresh basil
>>> Fresh parsley
>>> Oregano
>>> Salt & pepper
>>> 1 can tomato sauce
>>> 1 can diced tomatoes
>>> Scant 3 cups dry macaroni
>>>
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> I've never called it Chop Suey. I think chili-mac (or beefaroni) is
>> closer to the mark. 30 years ago my [ex-] husband and I were invited to
>> dinner at a friend's house. We were told they were serving "goulash". I
>> was expecting a sort of beef stew. It turned out to be what you posted
>> above, whatever you call it.
>>
>> Jill

> Mom used to make this all the time, and called it "goulash". It's a
> Midwestern dish, as far as I can tell; Mom was from the Midwest. I still
> make it myself from time to time.
>
> We used to have a "Chop Suey" as well, that wasn't similar:
>
> *_Chop Suey_*
>
> 1 lb meat (we usually used either ground beef or leftover chicken)
> oil if necessary, 1/4 cup
> soy sauce 6 Tbsp
> corn starch 3 Tbsp
> sugar 2 tsp
> chop suey veggies - 1 bag (You used to be able to buy these all ready to
> use as "Chop Suey Vegetables" back then. If they aren't available any
> more, use your imagination)
>
> Brown meat in oil, drain if using hamburger. Add soy sauce, sugar. Mix
> thoroughly with meat in skillet. Add water 4 cups and veggies. Mix and
> cook until veggies are done. Mix corn starch with 1/2 cup water. Stir
> in. Cook until sauce is clear. Serve over canned fried "Chop Suey noodles".

Oh, I think that was a Chung King package of stuff. Canned vegetables
and sauce, just add meat. And yes, topped with those fried crunchy
"noodles". That's a blast from the 1960's past! Never did like
anything other than the noodles.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 02/10/2014 10:33 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> That's what I made for dinner tonight. I found the recipe in the
> notebook I keep on the bedside table. I must have written it down
> during some Food Network or similar show.
> It isn't what my mother made.
> It isn't precisely what I make (mine trends more to chili Mac)
> Do you make something similar? What do you call your version?
>
> AMERICAN CHOP SUEY
> 10/2/2014 - Janet
> 1 pound ground beef
> 1 cup chopped onion
> 1 cup chopped green pepper
> Plenty of chopped garlic
> Fresh basil
> Fresh parsley
> Oregano
> Salt & pepper
> 1 can tomato sauce
> 1 can diced tomatoes
> Scant 3 cups dry macaroni
>
> Janet US

Isn't Chinese-style Chop Suey an American invention?
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 10:11:21 -0400, Travis McGee >
wrote:

>snip
>
>Mom used to make this all the time, and called it "goulash". It's a
>Midwestern dish, as far as I can tell; Mom was from the Midwest. I still
>make it myself from time to time.
>
>We used to have a "Chop Suey" as well, that wasn't similar:
>
>*_Chop Suey_*
>
>1 lb meat (we usually used either ground beef or leftover chicken)
>oil if necessary, 1/4 cup
>soy sauce 6 Tbsp
>corn starch 3 Tbsp
>sugar 2 tsp
>chop suey veggies - 1 bag (You used to be able to buy these all ready to
>use as "Chop Suey Vegetables" back then. If they aren't available any
>more, use your imagination)
>
>Brown meat in oil, drain if using hamburger. Add soy sauce, sugar. Mix
>thoroughly with meat in skillet. Add water 4 cups and veggies. Mix and
>cook until veggies are done. Mix corn starch with 1/2 cup water. Stir
>in. Cook until sauce is clear. Serve over canned fried "Chop Suey noodles".

I'm from the Midwest as well. I'd never heard the term goulash, as
you mean it, until recently. I think that term may be regionalized as
well. My mother's chop suey came from the Mirro pressure cooker
recipe book.. It was pieces of pork and beef pressured with lots of
onions and celery. At the end canned bean sprouts and a lot of soy
sauce were added. The broth was thickened with corn starch. The
mixture was served over rice.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 07:08:39 -0700, sf > wrote:

>For me, chop suey is only one thing: Chung King in a can with crispy
>noodles that are reminiscent of dry Ramen, only worse.

That, and something called "chop suey" that was dished up every other
week or so in the school cafeteria.

--
Bob
www.kanyak.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 3, 2014 10:22:31 AM UTC-4, graham wrote:

> Isn't Chinese-style Chop Suey an American invention?
>
> Graham

Yes, from San Francisco.

As a kid I remember it as being quite good and having
originated in Chinatown for US tastes. The main ingredients
were skinny, round soft noodle, some meat and vegetables
(stir fried), bean sprouts (barely cooked), water chestnuts
and often topped with some crispy noodles. However, I'm from
England, so what do I know?

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 08:20:00 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> Chop Suey was the same for me as you describe. I only heard the term
> American Chop Suey within the last few years.

You read it here too? I had never heard a dish with tomatoes and
elbow macaroni called chop suey before either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 3, 2014 12:33:50 AM UTC-4, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> Do you make something similar? What do you call your version?

I swear my mother made it the exact same way. She called it Missouri. No idea why.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 10:15:33 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

> On 10/3/2014 10:00 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> > On Fri, 3 Oct 2014 11:52:21 +0100, Janet > wrote:
> > snip
> >> "chop suey", here, implies a stirfry including a little meat with
> >> noodles and lots of veg , beansprouts or bamboo shoots.. and a little
> >> soy sauce, no tomatoes.
> >>
> >> Janet UK

> > Yes, it implies similar here as well. Wiki says the name American
> > Chop Suey may originate from the idea that this dish was a stir
> > together of meat and vegetables.
> > Janet US
> >

> Since Chop Suey appears to have originated in California, "American"
> Chop Suey seems a bit redundant.

Yet another myth is that, in the 1860s, a Chinese restaurant cook in
San Francisco was forced to serve something to drunken miners after
hours, when he had no fresh food. To avoid a beating, the cook threw
leftovers in a wok and served the miners who loved it and asked what
dish is this—he replied Chopped Sui. There is no good evidence for
any of these stories. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chop_suey

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/10/2014 9:00 AM, Helpful person wrote:
> On Friday, October 3, 2014 10:22:31 AM UTC-4, graham wrote:
>>
>> Isn't Chinese-style Chop Suey an American invention?
>>
>> Graham

> Yes, from San Francisco.
>
> As a kid I remember it as being quite good and having
> originated in Chinatown for US tastes. The main ingredients
> were skinny, round soft noodle, some meat and vegetables
> (stir fried), bean sprouts (barely cooked), water chestnuts
> and often topped with some crispy noodles. However, I'm from
> England, so what do I know?
>
> http://www.richardfisher.com

As am I!
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-03, James Silverton > wrote:

> Since Chop Suey appears to have originated in California....

Not likely. Unless yer talking Chinese Chop Suey.

I was born and raised in CA and lived there most of my life, North and
South. Never once have I encountered a beefaroni/goulash dish even
remotely referred to as Chop Suey. CA is the reason there is Chinese
population in this country and I doubt they ever made a Chop Suey with
"ground beef" and "macaroni".

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/3/2014 11:00 AM, Helpful person wrote:
> On Friday, October 3, 2014 10:22:31 AM UTC-4, graham wrote:
>>
>> Isn't Chinese-style Chop Suey an American invention?
>>
>> Graham

> Yes, from San Francisco.
>
> As a kid I remember it as being quite good and having
> originated in Chinatown for US tastes. The main ingredients
> were skinny, round soft noodle, some meat and vegetables
> (stir fried), bean sprouts (barely cooked), water chestnuts
> and often topped with some crispy noodles. However, I'm from
> England, so what do I know?

I'm pretty sure you've got it right.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/3/2014 11:05 AM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 08:20:00 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
>
>> Chop Suey was the same for me as you describe. I only heard the term
>> American Chop Suey within the last few years.

> You read it here too? I had never heard a dish with tomatoes and
> elbow macaroni called chop suey before either.

I still wouldn't call it Chop Suey.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3 Oct 2014 15:59:30 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2014-10-03, James Silverton > wrote:
>
>> Since Chop Suey appears to have originated in California....

>Not likely. Unless yer talking Chinese Chop Suey.
>
>I was born and raised in CA and lived there most of my life, North and
>South. Never once have I encountered a beefaroni/goulash dish even
>remotely referred to as Chop Suey. CA is the reason there is Chinese
>population in this country and I doubt they ever made a Chop Suey with
>"ground beef" and "macaroni".
>
>nb

No one ever said the Chinese made this dish or anything like it. It's
an idiom, just as goulash has become.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 3 Oct 2014 08:09:06 -0700 (PDT), Thomas >
wrote:

>On Friday, October 3, 2014 12:33:50 AM UTC-4, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> Do you make something similar? What do you call your version?

>I swear my mother made it the exact same way. She called it Missouri. No idea why.

O.k., now that is a new one. I don't even have an idea how to search
that one out. I think you get the special prize of the day.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/10/2014 10:08 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 10/3/2014 11:00 AM, Helpful person wrote:
>> On Friday, October 3, 2014 10:22:31 AM UTC-4, graham wrote:
>>>
>>> Isn't Chinese-style Chop Suey an American invention?
>>>
>>> Graham

>> Yes, from San Francisco.
>>
>> As a kid I remember it as being quite good and having
>> originated in Chinatown for US tastes. The main ingredients
>> were skinny, round soft noodle, some meat and vegetables
>> (stir fried), bean sprouts (barely cooked), water chestnuts
>> and often topped with some crispy noodles. However, I'm from
>> England, so what do I know?
>>

> I'm pretty sure you've got it right.
>
> Jill

In fact, I've only ever seen the dish in Chinese/Cantonese restaurants,
and then many years ago. They tend to be much more authentic these days.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-03, Janet Bostwick > wrote:

> No one ever said the Chinese made this dish or anything like it.

Including myself.

> It's an idiom, just as goulash has become.

That may be true, but it's certainly not the idiom in California. In
CA, you buy chop suey from a Chinese restaurant, mainly cuz it's more
"anything like" Chinese food than "anything like" European food. I
suspect it being an idiom for beefaroni/goulash is more a Mid-Western
and Eastern thing. In CA, if it sounds Chinese it's most likely
Chinese, not a stew from Hungary.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3 Oct 2014 16:41:41 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2014-10-03, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>
>> No one ever said the Chinese made this dish or anything like it.

>Including myself.
>
>> It's an idiom, just as goulash has become.

>That may be true, but it's certainly not the idiom in California. In
>CA, you buy chop suey from a Chinese restaurant, mainly cuz it's more
>"anything like" Chinese food than "anything like" European food. I
>suspect it being an idiom for beefaroni/goulash is more a Mid-Western
>and Eastern thing. In CA, if it sounds Chinese it's most likely
>Chinese, not a stew from Hungary.
>
>nb

It's regional. Wiki thinks upper N.E. Goulash itself (pertaining to
this dish) is regional. Then there is Chili Mac or "spaghetti"
As far as chop suey from a Chinese restaurant, I haven't had that in a
donkey's years. You just don't see it on Chinese restaurant menus
around here.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/3/2014 9:20 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 10/3/2014 10:11 AM, Travis McGee wrote:

>>> I've never called it Chop Suey. I think chili-mac (or beefaroni) is
>>> closer to the mark. 30 years ago my [ex-] husband and I were invited to
>>> dinner at a friend's house. We were told they were serving "goulash". I
>>> was expecting a sort of beef stew. It turned out to be what you posted
>>> above, whatever you call it.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Mom used to make this all the time, and called it "goulash". It's a
>> Midwestern dish, as far as I can tell; Mom was from the Midwest. I still
>> make it myself from time to time.
>>
>> We used to have a "Chop Suey" as well, that wasn't similar:
>>
>> *_Chop Suey_*
>>
>> 1 lb meat (we usually used either ground beef or leftover chicken)
>> oil if necessary, 1/4 cup
>> soy sauce 6 Tbsp
>> corn starch 3 Tbsp
>> sugar 2 tsp
>> chop suey veggies - 1 bag (You used to be able to buy these all ready to
>> use as "Chop Suey Vegetables" back then. If they aren't available any
>> more, use your imagination)
>>
>> Brown meat in oil, drain if using hamburger. Add soy sauce, sugar. Mix
>> thoroughly with meat in skillet. Add water 4 cups and veggies. Mix and
>> cook until veggies are done. Mix corn starch with 1/2 cup water. Stir
>> in. Cook until sauce is clear. Serve over canned fried "Chop Suey
>> noodles".

> Oh, I think that was a Chung King package of stuff. Canned vegetables
> and sauce, just add meat. And yes, topped with those fried crunchy
> "noodles". That's a blast from the 1960's past! Never did like
> anything other than the noodles.
>
> Jill

My children enjoyed snacking on dry Chow Mein Noodles, I figured it was
better for them than junk food.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 12:08:52 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 10/3/2014 11:00 AM, Helpful person wrote:
> > On Friday, October 3, 2014 10:22:31 AM UTC-4, graham wrote:
> >>
> >> Isn't Chinese-style Chop Suey an American invention?
> >>
> >> Graham

> > Yes, from San Francisco.
> >
> > As a kid I remember it as being quite good and having
> > originated in Chinatown for US tastes. The main ingredients
> > were skinny, round soft noodle, some meat and vegetables
> > (stir fried), bean sprouts (barely cooked), water chestnuts
> > and often topped with some crispy noodles. However, I'm from
> > England, so what do I know?
> >

> I'm pretty sure you've got it right.

It's a myth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/2/2014 11:33 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> That's what I made for dinner tonight. I found the recipe in the
> notebook I keep on the bedside table. I must have written it down
> during some Food Network or similar show.
> It isn't what my mother made.
> It isn't precisely what I make (mine trends more to chili Mac)
> Do you make something similar? What do you call your version?
>
> AMERICAN CHOP SUEY
> 10/2/2014 - Janet
> 1 pound ground beef
> 1 cup chopped onion
> 1 cup chopped green pepper
> Plenty of chopped garlic
> Fresh basil
> Fresh parsley
> Oregano
> Salt & pepper
> 1 can tomato sauce
> 1 can diced tomatoes
> Scant 3 cups dry macaroni
>
> Janet US

This probably tasted good, Janet, and yes, it does sound like Chili Mac.
I add chili powder, cumin and Mexican oregano, along with pinto beans.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/3/2014 3:21 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 12:08:52 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Yes, from San Francisco.
>>>
>>> As a kid I remember it as being quite good and having
>>> originated in Chinatown for US tastes. The main ingredients
>>> were skinny, round soft noodle, some meat and vegetables
>>> (stir fried), bean sprouts (barely cooked), water chestnuts
>>> and often topped with some crispy noodles. However, I'm from
>>> England, so what do I know?
>>>

>> I'm pretty sure you've got it right.
>>

> It's a myth.

Chop Suey is a name for whatever. The only "Chop Suey" (by that name) I
am familiar with was from Chun King, which *did* originate in San
Francisco. It was produced by an Italian manufacturer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chun_King

"Chun King was an American line of canned Chinese food products founded
in the 1940s by Jeno Paulucci, who also developed Jeno's Pizza Rolls and
frozen pizza."

My mother only bought it once. Once was enough. Heh.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 3, 2014 8:09:06 AM UTC-7, Thomas wrote:
> On Friday, October 3, 2014 12:33:50 AM UTC-4, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
> > Do you make something similar? What do you call your version?

> I swear my mother made it the exact same way. She called it Missouri. No idea why.

The intarwebs say "Missouri" is a casserole (or stovetop dish) featuring
ground beef and canned tomato product, but sliced potatoes, not pasta.
Add as many layers as will fit in the dish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/3/2014 3:18 PM, Becca EmaNymton wrote:
> My children enjoyed snacking on dry Chow Mein Noodles, I figured it was
> better for them than junk food.
>
> Becca

I'll admit, I still buy a can of those dry Chow Mein noodles to snack on
from time to time. Beats potato chips!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-03 3:18 PM, Becca EmaNymton wrote:

> My children enjoyed snacking on dry Chow Mein Noodles, I figured it was
> better for them than junk food.

They are tasty. Any time I have soup in a Chinese restaurant and they
bring a bowl of chew mein noodles I usually end up snacking on them
until they are gone. There is enough fat and salt in them to make them
tasty so figure they are not much better for you than junk food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-03 4:06 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 10/3/2014 3:18 PM, Becca EmaNymton wrote:
>> My children enjoyed snacking on dry Chow Mein Noodles, I figured it was
>> better for them than junk food.
>>
>> Becca

> I'll admit, I still buy a can of those dry Chow Mein noodles to snack on
> from time to time. Beats potato chips!

I checked out the nutrition facts.
Calories 130
total fat 5g
saturated fat 1g
polyunsaturated fat 3g
monounsaturated fat 2g
sodium 240mg
total carbs 19g
protein 3g

Looking at the nutrition figures for potato chips, which are rated per 1
oz serving (20 chips), yeah, they do look like a healthier alternative.
Who eats only 20 chips?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 3, 2014 12:33:50 AM UTC-4, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> That's what I made for dinner tonight. I found the recipe in the
>
> notebook I keep on the bedside table. I must have written it down
>
> during some Food Network or similar show.
>
> It isn't what my mother made.
>
> It isn't precisely what I make (mine trends more to chili Mac)
>
> Do you make something similar? What do you call your version?
>

> AMERICAN CHOP SUEY
>
> 10/2/2014 - Janet
>
> 1 pound ground beef
>
> 1 cup chopped onion
>
> 1 cup chopped green pepper
>
> Plenty of chopped garlic
>
> Fresh basil
>
> Fresh parsley
>
> Oregano
>
> Salt & pepper
>
> 1 can tomato sauce
>
> 1 can diced tomatoes
>
> Scant 3 cups dry macaroni
>

> Janet US

Oh, this reads just like something my mother would trot out maybe once a month. I guess it was cheap and easy. I hated the green peppers and would pick em out and slip to the dawg.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 3, 2014 12:54:29 PM UTC-7, jmcquown wrote:
> On 10/3/2014 3:21 PM, sf wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 12:08:52 -0400, jmcquown >

> > wrote:

Celery took the place of bok choy, as a tall, crunchy vegetable. And
perhaps sauteed button mushrooms and zigzagged carrots. But always
bean sprouts.

If this was served with rice, it was chop suey. Over fried noodles, it
was chow mein.

> >> I'm pretty sure you've got it right.

> > It's a myth.

> Chop Suey is a name for whatever. The only "Chop Suey" (by that name) I
> am familiar with was from Chun King, which *did* originate in San
> Francisco. It was produced by an Italian manufacturer.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chun_King
>
> "Chun King was an American line of canned Chinese food products founded
> in the 1940s by Jeno Paulucci, who also developed Jeno's Pizza Rolls and
> frozen pizza."
>
> My mother only bought it once. Once was enough. Heh.
>
> Jill

Chun King had a competitor:

"La Choy makes Chinese food... Swing! American!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN-9XUzg1DM

Chop suey/chapchae Timo General Cooking 0 01-03-2014 04:12 PM
Chicken Chop Suey hotshot1986 Recipes 4 11-08-2011 05:57 AM
Ma's American Chop Suey [email protected] General Cooking 2 31-05-2005 04:38 PM
Chicken Chop Suey Serendipity General Cooking 37 15-03-2005 06:46 PM
American Chop Suey and Goulash... Alf Christophersen Historic 5 06-10-2003 12:41 AM