Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Potato spots again.

Remember the weird spots in the potatoes a few years ago making them nearly
inedible! Well... It's back. Twice I bought a bag of small red potatoes
at Target. Once they sprouted almost immediately and I wound up tossing
them out. After getting very bad stomach pains following the trimming of
sprouts and eating the potatoes, never again.

I bought a second bag that looked good and vowed to use them quickly. And
some were beginning to sprout. Just tiny sprouts. Some were also slightly
mushy feeling. But I only needed a few to roast with some onions. However,
in cutting the seemingly good ones open, many had those weird brown/black
spots inside like they did a few years ago. Not nearly as bad as in the
past though. I was able to trim around and find enough good ones for
tomorrow's meal..

And before anyone jumps on me for cooking ahead... I have to now with my
husband's schedule. He has to eat before it is our normal dinner time which
would be 6:00 p.m. or later.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 20:40:24 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Remember the weird spots in the potatoes a few years ago making them nearly
>inedible! Well... It's back. Twice I bought a bag of small red potatoes
>at Target. Once they sprouted almost immediately and I wound up tossing
>them out. After getting very bad stomach pains following the trimming of
>sprouts and eating the potatoes, never again.
>
>I bought a second bag that looked good and vowed to use them quickly. And
>some were beginning to sprout. Just tiny sprouts. Some were also slightly
>mushy feeling. But I only needed a few to roast with some onions. However,
>in cutting the seemingly good ones open, many had those weird brown/black
>spots inside like they did a few years ago.

Sounds like a police matter to me.

>And before anyone jumps on me for cooking ahead... I have to now with my
>husband's schedule. He has to eat before it is our normal dinner time which
>would be 6:00 p.m. or later.

Not so much a police matter as a job for a suitable piece of 2x4.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 12:59:40 AM UTC-5, Je�us wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 20:40:24 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>
> > wrote:
>

> >Remember the weird spots in the potatoes a few years ago making them nearly

> >inedible! Well... It's back. Twice I bought a bag of small red potatoes

> >at Target. Once they sprouted almost immediately and I wound up tossing

> >them out. After getting very bad stomach pains following the trimming of

> >sprouts and eating the potatoes, never again.

> >I bought a second bag that looked good and vowed to use them quickly. And

> >some were beginning to sprout. Just tiny sprouts. Some were also slightly

> >mushy feeling. But I only needed a few to roast with some onions. However,

> >in cutting the seemingly good ones open, many had those weird brown/black

> >spots inside like they did a few years ago.

> Sounds like a police matter to me.
>

> >And before anyone jumps on me for cooking ahead... I have to now with my

> >husband's schedule. He has to eat before it is our normal dinner time which

> >would be 6:00 p.m. or later.

> Not so much a police matter as a job for a suitable piece of 2x4.

No doubt. I've been peeling and cooking potatoes for over 30 years and I can't figure out what the hell she's yammering about. Potatoes sprout and are soft? You know, you can feel them in the bag before you buy them. You can also sniff the bag and your nose will tell you if they are any good or not. As for the nonsense about having very bad stomach pains after eating potatoes from trimming off the eyes then eating the potatoes, that's just utter rubbish.

If this nutjob would get the hell off of the computer and do the job of a homemaker, all of these made-up *problems* of hers would go away.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 12:59:40 AM UTC-5, Je�us wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 20:40:24 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>
> > wrote:
>

> >Remember the weird spots in the potatoes a few years ago making them
> >nearly

> >inedible! Well... It's back. Twice I bought a bag of small red
> >potatoes

> >at Target. Once they sprouted almost immediately and I wound up tossing

> >them out. After getting very bad stomach pains following the trimming of

> >sprouts and eating the potatoes, never again.

> >I bought a second bag that looked good and vowed to use them quickly.
> >And

> >some were beginning to sprout. Just tiny sprouts. Some were also
> >slightly

> >mushy feeling. But I only needed a few to roast with some onions.
> >However,

> >in cutting the seemingly good ones open, many had those weird brown/black

> >spots inside like they did a few years ago.

> Sounds like a police matter to me.
>

> >And before anyone jumps on me for cooking ahead... I have to now with my

> >husband's schedule. He has to eat before it is our normal dinner time
> >which

> >would be 6:00 p.m. or later.

> Not so much a police matter as a job for a suitable piece of 2x4.

No doubt. I've been peeling and cooking potatoes for over 30 years and I
can't figure out what the hell she's yammering about. Potatoes sprout and
are soft? You know, you can feel them in the bag before you buy them. You
can also sniff the bag and your nose will tell you if they are any good or
not. As for the nonsense about having very bad stomach pains after eating
potatoes from trimming off the eyes then eating the potatoes, that's just
utter rubbish.

If this nutjob would get the hell off of the computer and do the job of a
homemaker, all of these made-up *problems* of hers would go away.

===

They weren't that way when I bought them. Obviously I would not have bought
them that way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 4:09:55 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>They weren't that way when I bought them. Obviously I would not have bought them that way.

Have your home checked for Radon gas.
That would explain a LOT.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote:
>projektilevomitchick wrote:
>
>No doubt. I've been peeling and cooking potatoes for over 30 years and I
>can't figure out what the hell she's yammering about. Potatoes sprout and
>are soft? You know, you can feel them in the bag before you buy them. You
>can also sniff the bag and your nose will tell you if they are any good or
>not. As for the nonsense about having very bad stomach pains after eating
>potatoes from trimming off the eyes then eating the potatoes, that's just
>utter rubbish.
>
>If this nutjob would get the hell off of the computer and do the job of a
>homemaker, all of these made-up *problems* of hers would go away.
>
>===
>
>They weren't that way when I bought them. Obviously I would not have bought
>them that way.

Of course you bought them that way, potatoes don't suddenly go bad in
one day... and the spuds on sale are always of poor quality, that's
why they are on sale... and some stores always sell Seconds of all
their produce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>>projektilevomitchick wrote:
>>
>>No doubt. I've been peeling and cooking potatoes for over 30 years and I
>>can't figure out what the hell she's yammering about. Potatoes sprout and
>>are soft? You know, you can feel them in the bag before you buy them.
>>You
>>can also sniff the bag and your nose will tell you if they are any good or
>>not. As for the nonsense about having very bad stomach pains after eating
>>potatoes from trimming off the eyes then eating the potatoes, that's just
>>utter rubbish.
>>
>>If this nutjob would get the hell off of the computer and do the job of a
>>homemaker, all of these made-up *problems* of hers would go away.
>>
>>===
>>
>>They weren't that way when I bought them. Obviously I would not have
>>bought
>>them that way.

> Of course you bought them that way, potatoes don't suddenly go bad in
> one day... and the spuds on sale are always of poor quality, that's
> why they are on sale... and some stores always sell Seconds of all
> their produce.

They *didn't* go bad in a day. I had them for more than a day. And I have
no problem eating the eyes. It was someone here that posted a link about
not eating potatoes that have sprouted. I have eaten sprouted potatoes in
the past with no problems. I must have gotten lucky there.

But I also mentioned the brown/black spots. On the *inside*. Most of the
potatoes I got a few years ago were that way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 05:54:28 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> They *didn't* go bad in a day. I had them for more than a day. And I have
> no problem eating the eyes. It was someone here that posted a link about
> not eating potatoes that have sprouted. I have eaten sprouted potatoes in
> the past with no problems. I must have gotten lucky there.

I was wondering what temperature they are stored at. The warmer it
is, the faster they sprout. You said you're in a warm spell with no
air conditioner.

> But I also mentioned the brown/black spots. On the *inside*. Most of the
> potatoes I got a few years ago were that way.

That was an awful year. I'd buy what looked like a great potato (or
bag of them) on the outside, cut it open only to find the center was
hollow and black. I don't know what the blight was, but it was nasty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 05:54:28 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> They *didn't* go bad in a day. I had them for more than a day. And I
>> have
>> no problem eating the eyes. It was someone here that posted a link about
>> not eating potatoes that have sprouted. I have eaten sprouted potatoes
>> in
>> the past with no problems. I must have gotten lucky there.

> I was wondering what temperature they are stored at. The warmer it
> is, the faster they sprout. You said you're in a warm spell with no
> air conditioner.
>>
>> But I also mentioned the brown/black spots. On the *inside*. Most of
>> the
>> potatoes I got a few years ago were that way.

> That was an awful year. I'd buy what looked like a great potato (or
> bag of them) on the outside, cut it open only to find the center was
> hollow and black. I don't know what the blight was, but it was nasty.

Yes. These were like this but the spots were closer to the outside. Not
the very center. Probably had something to do with the heat and lack of
water.

I am currently keeping them in the garage. So it was pretty warm out there.
Our temps have dropped to the 50's and 60's now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

30 years?? Guess you're not going to get paroled are ya?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 29, 2014 11:40:24 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> Remember the weird spots in the potatoes a few years ago making them nearly
>
> inedible! Well... It's back. Twice I bought a bag of small red potatoes
>
> at Target. Once they sprouted almost immediately and I wound up tossing
>
> them out. After getting very bad stomach pains following the trimming of
>
> sprouts and eating the potatoes, never again.
>

> I bought a second bag that looked good and vowed to use them quickly. And
>
> some were beginning to sprout. Just tiny sprouts. Some were also slightly
>
> mushy feeling. But I only needed a few to roast with some onions. However,
>
> in cutting the seemingly good ones open, many had those weird brown/black
>
> spots inside like they did a few years ago. Not nearly as bad as in the
>
> past though. I was able to trim around and find enough good ones for
>
> tomorrow's meal..
>

> And before anyone jumps on me for cooking ahead... I have to now with my
>
> husband's schedule. He has to eat before it is our normal dinner time which
>
> would be 6:00 p.m. or later.

Who gives a flying shit?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> Remember the weird spots in the potatoes a few years ago making them nearly
> inedible! Well... It's back. Twice I bought a bag of small red potatoes
> at Target. Once they sprouted almost immediately and I wound up tossing
> them out. After getting very bad stomach pains following the trimming of
> sprouts and eating the potatoes, never again.
>
> I bought a second bag that looked good and vowed to use them quickly. And
> some were beginning to sprout. Just tiny sprouts. Some were also slightly
> mushy feeling. But I only needed a few to roast with some onions. However,
> in cutting the seemingly good ones open, many had those weird brown/black
> spots inside like they did a few years ago. Not nearly as bad as in the
> past though. I was able to trim around and find enough good ones for
> tomorrow's meal..
>
> And before anyone jumps on me for cooking ahead... I have to now with my
> husband's schedule. He has to eat before it is our normal dinner time which
> would be 6:00 p.m. or later.

why?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 01:37:08 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> She LIVES for this shit, and everyone's responses.
>
> -sw

> Omelet wrote:
>
>> He hates me 'cause I never slept with him...

> He hates himself because he is all he has to sleep with
> I don't know, sometimes he used to seem normal, then he went petty
> trough vindictive and now I just shun contact. I have enough crazies to
> deal with in my world without encouraging those who refuse to take their
> meds.

For the record, I never once even considered sleeping with you. And
you know that. You're the one who somehow got the idea that I was
going to move in with you - and you posted that to RFC just out of the
total blue.

After having met you twice at casual austin.food gatherings 2 or 3
years ago and not giving you any indication that there was any sort of
romantic interest in the least, you somehow twisted that into MY
MOVING IN WITH YOU?

That was just way too Psycho for me. I sat there at stared at the
screen for at least 15 minutes wondering, WTF? That was just way too
spooky. I've met weird, semi-psycho women before but you win, hands
down. Mapi of austin.general still holds the male title, but at least
he announced his psychosis right there lying on the floor of the bar
at B.D. Reilly's rather than romantically obsessing over me for 2
years.

Needless to say, you need to come to terms with what happened and why
your mind works that way and stop making up excuses for your fixation
and disappointment before we become the next Yoli and Michael. I'd
prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

And Jeremy, I was just tired of your decade of bullshit and visions of
grandeur about all these things you're "working on" or have not done
in the past. Even posting a call for meetings with imaginary people
about imaginary projects of yours at "the normal time and place", as
if you are somebody important with a life. I'm pretty sure you're
manic depressive mixed with habitual liar.

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/30/2014 8:54 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> They *didn't* go bad in a day. I had them for more than a day. And I
> have no problem eating the eyes. It was someone here that posted a link
> about not eating potatoes that have sprouted. I have eaten sprouted
> potatoes in the past with no problems. I must have gotten lucky there.

I think I understand what you're referring to about getting sick from
some potatoes. It is when the flesh under the skin starts turning green.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 9/30/2014 8:54 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>

>> They *didn't* go bad in a day. I had them for more than a day. And I
>> have no problem eating the eyes. It was someone here that posted a link
>> about not eating potatoes that have sprouted. I have eaten sprouted
>> potatoes in the past with no problems. I must have gotten lucky there.

> I think I understand what you're referring to about getting sick from some
> potatoes. It is when the flesh under the skin starts turning green.

I know not to eat green. These were not green. Just badly sprouted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 29, 2014 10:40:24 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> Remember the weird spots in the potatoes a few years ago making them nearly
>
> inedible! Well... It's back. Twice I bought a bag of small red potatoes
>
> at Target. Once they sprouted almost immediately and I wound up tossing
>
> them out. After getting very bad stomach pains following the trimming of
>
> sprouts and eating the potatoes, never again.

Am I the only one who saw the subject and half expected this to be about
one of Julie's myriad of physical disorders?

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 02:33:50 -0700 (PDT), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

>On Monday, September 29, 2014 10:40:24 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Remember the weird spots in the potatoes a few years ago making them nearly
>>
>> inedible! Well... It's back. Twice I bought a bag of small red potatoes
>>
>> at Target. Once they sprouted almost immediately and I wound up tossing
>>
>> them out. After getting very bad stomach pains following the trimming of
>>
>> sprouts and eating the potatoes, never again.
>>

>Am I the only one who saw the subject and half expected this to be about
>one of Julie's myriad of physical disorders?

Those black spots are a potato disease... not harmful but not
appetizing... typically those go to livestock food processors but some
markets will sell them at low sale prices.
http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne..._Detection.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 02:33:50 -0700 (PDT), Bryan-TGWWW
> > wrote:
>
>>On Monday, September 29, 2014 10:40:24 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> Remember the weird spots in the potatoes a few years ago making them
>>> nearly
>>>
>>> inedible! Well... It's back. Twice I bought a bag of small red
>>> potatoes
>>>
>>> at Target. Once they sprouted almost immediately and I wound up tossing
>>>
>>> them out. After getting very bad stomach pains following the trimming
>>> of
>>>
>>> sprouts and eating the potatoes, never again.
>>>

>>Am I the only one who saw the subject and half expected this to be about
>>one of Julie's myriad of physical disorders?

> Those black spots are a potato disease... not harmful but not
> appetizing... typically those go to livestock food processors but some
> markets will sell them at low sale prices.
> http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne..._Detection.htm

Yes. I just hope that they don't continue.

Black spots on the potato skin metspitzer General Cooking 4 07-05-2009 06:51 AM
light, dark spots (not deep) on red potato skin amandaF General Cooking 2 24-01-2009 05:30 AM
strange spots Eyal Sourdough 8 26-08-2007 06:48 PM
Egg Spots and New Frig mary General Cooking 25 18-08-2004 06:12 AM
green spots Randall Brink Sourdough 2 03-10-2003 05:55 AM