Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Martha's "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil

On a recent episode of "Late Night With Seth Meyers" Martha Stewart
prepared "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil, which involved
making a quick sauce with cherry onion, garlic, cherry tomatoes, and
basil then adding several cups of water followed by raw linguini.
Simmer until done. The whole dish takes less than ten minutes.

I've posted a clip in alt.binaries.multimedia cooking:
Linkto-NZB: http://preview.tinyurl.com/ksv4q94

I once saw Emeril do so something like this with lasagna noodles many
years ago. The raw pasta is allegedly cooked in the sauce. I find this
technique hard to believe. Has anyone ever tried it? What's the result
like?

--
Bob
www.kanyak.com

--
Bob
www.kanyak.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Opinicus" > wrote in message
> On a recent episode of "Late Night With Seth Meyers" Martha Stewart
> prepared "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil, which involved
> making a quick sauce with cherry onion, garlic, cherry tomatoes, and
> basil then adding several cups of water followed by raw linguini.
> Simmer until done. The whole dish takes less than ten minutes.
>
> I've posted a clip in alt.binaries.multimedia cooking:
> Subject: Martha's "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil
> Linkto-NZB: http://preview.tinyurl.com/ksv4q94
>
> I once saw Emeril do so something like this with lasagna noodles many
> years ago. The raw pasta is allegedly cooked in the sauce. I find this
> technique hard to believe. Has anyone ever tried it? What's the result
> like?

I made spaghetti like that as a kid. The recipe was in the Betty Crocker
Boys and Girls Cookbook. It was okay but I prefer the sauce cooked
separately. And what is cherry onion? I tried to look it up but couldn't
find anything.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 04:42:12 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>what is cherry onion?

It's a typo; specifically one-half of a cherry tomato. ;-)

--
Bob
www.kanyak.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 14:14:37 +0300, Opinicus
> wrote:

>On a recent episode of "Late Night With Seth Meyers" Martha Stewart
>prepared "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil, which involved
>making a quick sauce with cherry onion, garlic, cherry tomatoes, and
>basil then adding several cups of water followed by raw linguini.
>Simmer until done. The whole dish takes less than ten minutes.
>
>I've posted a clip in alt.binaries.multimedia cooking:
>Subject: Martha's "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil
>Linkto-NZB: http://preview.tinyurl.com/ksv4q94
>
>I once saw Emeril do so something like this with lasagna noodles many
>years ago. The raw pasta is allegedly cooked in the sauce. I find this
>technique hard to believe. Has anyone ever tried it? What's the result
>like?

I'll guess a waste of food... how difficult is it to boil water and
cook pasta, and not like it requires much time either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 14:14:37 +0300, Opinicus
> wrote:

> On a recent episode of "Late Night With Seth Meyers" Martha Stewart
> prepared "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil, which involved
> making a quick sauce with cherry onion, garlic, cherry tomatoes, and
> basil then adding several cups of water followed by raw linguini.
> Simmer until done. The whole dish takes less than ten minutes.
>
> I've posted a clip in alt.binaries.multimedia cooking:
> Subject: Martha's "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil
> Linkto-NZB: http://preview.tinyurl.com/ksv4q94
>
> I once saw Emeril do so something like this with lasagna noodles many
> years ago. The raw pasta is allegedly cooked in the sauce. I find this
> technique hard to believe. Has anyone ever tried it? What's the result
> like?

It sounds like a soupy mess to me. I've cooked cherry tomatoes and
they give off a lot of juice. It is hard to believe the amount of
water the recipe says to add would evaporate enough in 9 minutes
(which over cooks the pasta, IMO) to make an acceptable sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 08:15:50 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 14:14:37 +0300, Opinicus
> wrote:
>
>> On a recent episode of "Late Night With Seth Meyers" Martha Stewart
>> prepared "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil, which involved
>> making a quick sauce with cherry onion, garlic, cherry tomatoes, and
>> basil then adding several cups of water followed by raw linguini.
>> Simmer until done. The whole dish takes less than ten minutes.
>>
>> I've posted a clip in alt.binaries.multimedia cooking:
>> Subject: Martha's "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil
>> Linkto-NZB: http://preview.tinyurl.com/ksv4q94
>>
>> I once saw Emeril do so something like this with lasagna noodles many
>> years ago. The raw pasta is allegedly cooked in the sauce. I find this
>> technique hard to believe. Has anyone ever tried it? What's the result
>> like?
>>

>It sounds like a soupy mess to me. I've cooked cherry tomatoes and
>they give off a lot of juice. It is hard to believe the amount of
>water the recipe says to add would evaporate enough in 9 minutes
>(which over cooks the pasta, IMO) to make an acceptable sauce.

Not sure that I disagree, but I do think it depends upon the pasta.
Good quality pasta takes about 11 minutes.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 09:37:56 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> Not sure that I disagree, but I do think it depends upon the pasta.
> Good quality pasta takes about 11 minutes.

Barilla is good enough for me - I cook it the low number minus a
minute which means 8.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Opinicus wrote:

> On a recent episode of "Late Night With Seth Meyers" Martha Stewart
> prepared "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil, which involved
> making a quick sauce with cherry onion, garlic, cherry tomatoes, and
> basil then adding several cups of water followed by raw linguini.
> Simmer until done. The whole dish takes less than ten minutes.

I've never heard of cherry onions. Just small ones, I guess.

> I once saw Emeril do so something like this with lasagna noodles many
> years ago. The raw pasta is allegedly cooked in the sauce. I find this
> technique hard to believe. Has anyone ever tried it? What's the result
> like?

I've tried it. The raw lasagna cooks fine as long as they are covered
in sauce and covered with foil. Normally, I'll cook them first, just
to be safe.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/26/2014 6:14 AM, Opinicus wrote:
> On a recent episode of "Late Night With Seth Meyers" Martha Stewart
> prepared "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil, which involved
> making a quick sauce with cherry onion, garlic, cherry tomatoes, and
> basil then adding several cups of water followed by raw linguini.
> Simmer until done. The whole dish takes less than ten minutes.
>
> I've posted a clip in alt.binaries.multimedia cooking:
> >
> Subject: Martha's "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil
> Linkto-NZB: http://preview.tinyurl.com/ksv4q94
>
> I once saw Emeril do so something like this with lasagna noodles many
> years ago. The raw pasta is allegedly cooked in the sauce. I find this
> technique hard to believe. Has anyone ever tried it? What's the result
> like?

It doesn't work well (IMHO) for thick noodles, like lasagna or giant
shells. But elbow macaroni, spaghetti, egg noodles, linguini, etc work
great cooked in the sauce *if* you can get the amount of water right and
you don't mind that the sauce gets a little starchy. (a little starch
in the sauce can be a good thing)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> On 9/26/2014 6:14 AM, Opinicus wrote:
>> On a recent episode of "Late Night With Seth Meyers" Martha Stewart
>> prepared "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil, which involved
>> making a quick sauce with cherry onion, garlic, cherry tomatoes, and
>> basil then adding several cups of water followed by raw linguini.
>> Simmer until done. The whole dish takes less than ten minutes.
>>
>> I've posted a clip in alt.binaries.multimedia cooking:
>> >
>> Subject: Martha's "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil
>> Linkto-NZB: http://preview.tinyurl.com/ksv4q94
>>
>> I once saw Emeril do so something like this with lasagna noodles many
>> years ago. The raw pasta is allegedly cooked in the sauce. I find this
>> technique hard to believe. Has anyone ever tried it? What's the result
>> like?
>>

> It doesn't work well (IMHO) for thick noodles, like lasagna or giant
> shells. But elbow macaroni, spaghetti, egg noodles, linguini, etc work
> great cooked in the sauce *if* you can get the amount of water right and
> you don't mind that the sauce gets a little starchy. (a little starch in
> the sauce can be a good thing)
>
> Bob

It works really well for the Barilla Flat Lasagna Noodles to be cooked in
the sauce at it bakes. it always turns out great. I only use Barilla Pasta
so don't know about other brands.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 10:25:37 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> It works really well for the Barilla Flat Lasagna Noodles to be cooked in
> the sauce at it bakes. it always turns out great. I only use Barilla Pasta
> so don't know about other brands.

Are you talking about the regular lasagna noodles or no boil? I use
no boil all the time and love it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-09-26 2:05 PM, sf wrote:

>> It works really well for the Barilla Flat Lasagna Noodles to be cooked in
>> the sauce at it bakes. it always turns out great. I only use Barilla Pasta
>> so don't know about other brands.

> Are you talking about the regular lasagna noodles or no boil? I use
> no boil all the time and love it!

Is there really a difference between the regular and no cook lasagne
noodles. I only make it once every year or two but I stopped cooking
them long before the no cook noodles. The same goes for canelloni and
other stuffed pastas. Just add a little extra sauce and cook them a
little longer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Opinicus" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 04:42:12 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>what is cherry onion?

> It's a typo; specifically one-half of a cherry tomato. ;-)

Ohhhhhh. Okay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 14:14:37 +0300, Opinicus
> > wrote:
>
>>On a recent episode of "Late Night With Seth Meyers" Martha Stewart
>>prepared "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil, which involved
>>making a quick sauce with cherry onion, garlic, cherry tomatoes, and
>>basil then adding several cups of water followed by raw linguini.
>>Simmer until done. The whole dish takes less than ten minutes.
>>
>>I've posted a clip in alt.binaries.multimedia cooking:
>>Subject: Martha's "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil
>>Linkto-NZB: http://preview.tinyurl.com/ksv4q94
>>
>>I once saw Emeril do so something like this with lasagna noodles many
>>years ago. The raw pasta is allegedly cooked in the sauce. I find this
>>technique hard to believe. Has anyone ever tried it? What's the result
>>like?

> I'll guess a waste of food... how difficult is it to boil water and
> cook pasta, and not like it requires much time either.

I could see it if you were in a motel and had only one burner to use or
something. But I only made it the one time when my mom said that it
wouldn't work. It worked but it obviously wasn't memorable as I never did
it again that way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> On 9/26/2014 6:14 AM, Opinicus wrote:
>> On a recent episode of "Late Night With Seth Meyers" Martha Stewart
>> prepared "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil, which involved
>> making a quick sauce with cherry onion, garlic, cherry tomatoes, and
>> basil then adding several cups of water followed by raw linguini.
>> Simmer until done. The whole dish takes less than ten minutes.
>>
>> I've posted a clip in alt.binaries.multimedia cooking:
>> >
>> Subject: Martha's "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil
>> Linkto-NZB: http://preview.tinyurl.com/ksv4q94
>>
>> I once saw Emeril do so something like this with lasagna noodles many
>> years ago. The raw pasta is allegedly cooked in the sauce. I find this
>> technique hard to believe. Has anyone ever tried it? What's the result
>> like?
>>

> It doesn't work well (IMHO) for thick noodles, like lasagna or giant
> shells. But elbow macaroni, spaghetti, egg noodles, linguini, etc work
> great cooked in the sauce *if* you can get the amount of water right and
> you don't mind that the sauce gets a little starchy. (a little starch in
> the sauce can be a good thing)
>
> Bob

I always add a little cooking water to my sauce. Seems to add a bit of
richness.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 15:10:17 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-09-26 2:05 PM, sf wrote:
>
> >> It works really well for the Barilla Flat Lasagna Noodles to be cooked in
> >> the sauce at it bakes. it always turns out great. I only use Barilla Pasta
> >> so don't know about other brands.

> > Are you talking about the regular lasagna noodles or no boil? I use
> > no boil all the time and love it!

> Is there really a difference between the regular and no cook lasagne
> noodles. I only make it once every year or two but I stopped cooking
> them long before the no cook noodles.

No cook noodles are a lot thinner, they mimic a home made noodle
rolled on the next to thinnest setting and dried. They are shorter
and wider than the regular type. Even their texture is better AFAIC.
Since lasagna with a billion layers of pasta and barely any filling
isn't what I like, no boil works for me. I use two layers of noodles
and fill the pan. If you prefer thicker lasagna noodles, fine by me.
That's why they sell two types.

> The same goes for canelloni and
> other stuffed pastas. Just add a little extra sauce and cook them a
> little longer.

I don't make stuffed pasta like manicotti (that begins with a dried
tube), tried it a couple of times and didn't like it. I can't buy
fresh pasta rectangles here anymore, so it seems to me that no boil
pasta would make a good cannelloni wrap if it was soaked first and
made pliable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/26/2014 6:14 AM, Opinicus wrote:
> On a recent episode of "Late Night With Seth Meyers" Martha Stewart
> prepared "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil, which involved
> making a quick sauce with cherry onion, garlic, cherry tomatoes, and
> basil then adding several cups of water followed by raw linguini.
> Simmer until done. The whole dish takes less than ten minutes.
>
> I've posted a clip in alt.binaries.multimedia cooking:
> Subject: Martha's "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil
> Linkto-NZB: http://preview.tinyurl.com/ksv4q94
>
> I once saw Emeril do so something like this with lasagna noodles many
> years ago. The raw pasta is allegedly cooked in the sauce. I find this
> technique hard to believe. Has anyone ever tried it? What's the result
> like?

Before I started working out of a home office, I would make lasagna in
the morning, cover it with plastic then refrigerate it. That afternoon,
I would call home and ask one of the children to place it in the oven,
and when we ate it, the lasagna noodles were fully cooked. Sitting in
sauce all day, in the refrigerator, probably hydrated the noodles, or it
happened while the lasagna was baking. It worked and the lasagna tasted
fine.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Opinicus > wrote:

> On a recent episode of "Late Night With Seth Meyers" Martha Stewart
> prepared "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil, which involved
> making a quick sauce with cherry onion, garlic, cherry tomatoes, and
> basil then adding several cups of water followed by raw linguini.
> Simmer until done. The whole dish takes less than ten minutes.

In Liguria, pasta is sometimes cooked like risotto. Alain Ducasse once
described the method and provided a recipe in the NYT. I posted the
article:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 10:25:37 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>> It works really well for the Barilla Flat Lasagna Noodles to be cooked in
>> the sauce at it bakes. it always turns out great. I only use Barilla
>> Pasta
>> so don't know about other brands.

> Are you talking about the regular lasagna noodles or no boil? I use
> no boil all the time and love it!

I'm talking about Barilla Flat Lasagna Noodles that cook in the sauce as it
bakes, no boil. They are just flat with no curly edge. I love it too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 16:53:33 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> I'm talking about Barilla Flat Lasagna Noodles that cook in the sauce as it
> bakes, no boil. They are just flat with no curly edge. I love it too.

For me, the edges of the top layer always get wavy on the perimeter.
Not wavy like thick noodles with the permanent wave, more loose and
gentle waves that look really nice IMO. That's how I know it's
"done". I take it out when I see the waves.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 26, 2014 4:32:16 PM UTC-4, Becca EmaNymton wrote:

> Before I started working out of a home office, I would make lasagna in
> the morning, cover it with plastic then refrigerate it. That afternoon,
> I would call home and ask one of the children to place it in the oven,
> and when we ate it, the lasagna noodles were fully cooked. Sitting in
> sauce all day, in the refrigerator, probably hydrated the noodles, or it
> happened while the lasagna was baking. It worked and the lasagna tasted
> fine.
>
> Becca

I find the easiest way to cook fettuccine and similar shaped noodles is to
cook them to just before al dente, drain, cool and store in the fridge. When
I want top use them I just dunk them in boiling water for a few seconds and
they're perfect every time.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Helpful person wrote:

>I find the easiest way to cook fettuccine and similar shaped noodles is to
>cook them to just before al dente, drain, cool and store in the fridge. When
>I want top use them I just dunk them in boiling water for a few seconds and
>they're perfect every time.

You're not a very Helpful Person, makes no sense to boil water for
pasta twice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-09-29 5:06 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Helpful person wrote:
>>
>> I find the easiest way to cook fettuccine and similar shaped noodles is to
>> cook them to just before al dente, drain, cool and store in the fridge. When
>> I want top use them I just dunk them in boiling water for a few seconds and
>> they're perfect every time.

> You're not a very Helpful Person, makes no sense to boil water for
> pasta twice

Eggsackery. I have objected to him using the adjective Helpful when so
much of his advice is not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> Helpful person wrote:
>>
>>I find the easiest way to cook fettuccine and similar shaped noodles is to
>>cook them to just before al dente, drain, cool and store in the fridge.
>>When
>>I want top use them I just dunk them in boiling water for a few seconds
>>and
>>they're perfect every time.

> You're not a very Helpful Person, makes no sense to boil water for
> pasta twice

A lot of restaurants do that but they probably always have water boiling.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 21:23:20 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Helpful person wrote:
>>>
>>>I find the easiest way to cook fettuccine and similar shaped noodles is to
>>>cook them to just before al dente, drain, cool and store in the fridge.
>>>When
>>>I want top use them I just dunk them in boiling water for a few seconds
>>>and
>>>they're perfect every time.

>> You're not a very Helpful Person, makes no sense to boil water for
>> pasta twice

>A lot of restaurants do that but they probably always have water boiling.

Most Italian restaurants reheat pasta, but unlike at home they serve
pasta continuously.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 21:23:20 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> You're not a very Helpful Person, makes no sense to boil water for
>>> pasta twice

>>A lot of restaurants do that but they probably always have water boiling.

> Most Italian restaurants reheat pasta, but unlike at home they serve
> pasta continuously.

Yes.