Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Holiday Cooking and Baking

I have 9 more sessions of radiation to go and I'm feeling well, except
for being tired a lot.

Tomorrow night is the start of the Jewish New Year and it's my first
time alone. I always had a bunch of people to cook for and even when it
was just the two of us, I cooked for the holidays.

My radiation techs will let me come in at 8 AM on Thursday and Friday so
I can attend services. I'll have enough time to clean up and have some
caffeine to wake up before I have to leave.

I decided to make myself a nice holiday dinner tomorrow night.

One of my closest friends has her husband in the hospital having had 4
or 5 bypasses done yesterday. She has no time to cook or bake for her
family, so a raisin challah is in the bowl rising for her family right now.

I'm also going to bake honey cake (traditional for a sweet new year) in
three loaf pans so I can give her some. I only need a small one for me.
Usually I do it in a tube pan.

I had a couple of containers of chicken soup in the freezer, so I am
defrosting one, and I will make a couple of matzoh balls for myself to
put in the soup.

I got a Cornish hen today and it's defrosting in the fridge as we speak.
I am thinking of spatchcocking it and making it on the gas grill off
the flame, with some pecan chips wrapped in foil over the fire to create
smoke. I'll put a nice rub on the hen.

I have some homemade cranberry sauce in the fridge and will nuke a
veggie to go with half a hen.

Finished editing another manuscript, but they still owe me for the last
one, so I won't submit it until I get a check.

To all my Jewish friends on RFC, I wish you a happy, healthy and
prosperous new year.
--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Happy New Year!

I'd love to try your wonderful holiday cooking. I've never had challah,
matzo balls, nor honey cake. I know you are making the recipients of
your cooking so happy.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
web.com...
>I have 9 more sessions of radiation to go and I'm feeling well, except for
>being tired a lot.
>
> Tomorrow night is the start of the Jewish New Year and it's my first time
> alone. I always had a bunch of people to cook for and even when it was
> just the two of us, I cooked for the holidays.
>
> My radiation techs will let me come in at 8 AM on Thursday and Friday so I
> can attend services. I'll have enough time to clean up and have some
> caffeine to wake up before I have to leave.
>
> I decided to make myself a nice holiday dinner tomorrow night.
>
> One of my closest friends has her husband in the hospital having had 4 or
> 5 bypasses done yesterday. She has no time to cook or bake for her family,
> so a raisin challah is in the bowl rising for her family right now.
>
> I'm also going to bake honey cake (traditional for a sweet new year) in
> three loaf pans so I can give her some. I only need a small one for me.
> Usually I do it in a tube pan.
>
> I had a couple of containers of chicken soup in the freezer, so I am
> defrosting one, and I will make a couple of matzoh balls for myself to put
> in the soup.
>
> I got a Cornish hen today and it's defrosting in the fridge as we speak. I
> am thinking of spatchcocking it and making it on the gas grill off the
> flame, with some pecan chips wrapped in foil over the fire to create
> smoke. I'll put a nice rub on the hen.
>
> I have some homemade cranberry sauce in the fridge and will nuke a veggie
> to go with half a hen.

All of that sounds very good. Enjoy!

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2014 6:47 PM, wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 18:22:33 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> I have 9 more sessions of radiation to go and I'm feeling well, except
>> for being tired a lot.
>>
>> Tomorrow night is the start of the Jewish New Year and it's my first
>> time alone. I always had a bunch of people to cook for and even when it
>> was just the two of us, I cooked for the holidays.
>>
>> My radiation techs will let me come in at 8 AM on Thursday and Friday so
>> I can attend services. I'll have enough time to clean up and have some
>> caffeine to wake up before I have to leave.
>>
>> I decided to make myself a nice holiday dinner tomorrow night.
>>
>> One of my closest friends has her husband in the hospital having had 4
>> or 5 bypasses done yesterday. She has no time to cook or bake for her
>> family, so a raisin challah is in the bowl rising for her family right now.
>>
>> I'm also going to bake honey cake (traditional for a sweet new year) in
>> three loaf pans so I can give her some. I only need a small one for me.
>> Usually I do it in a tube pan.
>>
>> I had a couple of containers of chicken soup in the freezer, so I am
>> defrosting one, and I will make a couple of matzoh balls for myself to
>> put in the soup.
>>
>> I got a Cornish hen today and it's defrosting in the fridge as we speak.
>> I am thinking of spatchcocking it and making it on the gas grill off
>> the flame, with some pecan chips wrapped in foil over the fire to create
>> smoke. I'll put a nice rub on the hen.
>>
>> I have some homemade cranberry sauce in the fridge and will nuke a
>> veggie to go with half a hen.
>>
>> Finished editing another manuscript, but they still owe me for the last
>> one, so I won't submit it until I get a check.
>>
>> To all my Jewish friends on RFC, I wish you a happy, healthy and
>> prosperous new year.

> Wow your energy amazes me I'm an atheist but I return the same
> wishes to you, that raisin challah sounds wonderful.

I amaze myself :-)

the raisin challah is traditional for the new year. I use honey instead
of sugar for the yeast to dine on and work in the raisins as I knead.
Instead of the usual braided loaf, we make a round loaf as round
signifies the wholeness of things and is also traditional for this holiday.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I have 9 more sessions of radiation to go and I'm feeling well, except
>for being tired a lot.
>
>Tomorrow night is the start of the Jewish New Year and it's my first
>time alone. I always had a bunch of people to cook for and even when it
>was just the two of us, I cooked for the holidays.

snip
I'm sending a hug your way. Use it whenever you need it.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I have 9 more sessions of radiation to go and I'm feeling well, except
>for being tired a lot.
>
>Tomorrow night is the start of the Jewish New Year and it's my first
>time alone. I always had a bunch of people to cook for and even when it
>was just the two of us, I cooked for the holidays.
>
>My radiation techs will let me come in at 8 AM on Thursday and Friday so
>I can attend services. I'll have enough time to clean up and have some
>caffeine to wake up before I have to leave.
>
>I decided to make myself a nice holiday dinner tomorrow night.
>
>One of my closest friends has her husband in the hospital having had 4
>or 5 bypasses done yesterday. She has no time to cook or bake for her
>family, so a raisin challah is in the bowl rising for her family right now.
>
>I'm also going to bake honey cake (traditional for a sweet new year) in
>three loaf pans so I can give her some. I only need a small one for me.
> Usually I do it in a tube pan.
>
>I had a couple of containers of chicken soup in the freezer, so I am
>defrosting one, and I will make a couple of matzoh balls for myself to
>put in the soup.
>
>I got a Cornish hen today and it's defrosting in the fridge as we speak.
> I am thinking of spatchcocking it and making it on the gas grill off
>the flame, with some pecan chips wrapped in foil over the fire to create
>smoke. I'll put a nice rub on the hen.
>
>I have some homemade cranberry sauce in the fridge and will nuke a
>veggie to go with half a hen.
>
>Finished editing another manuscript, but they still owe me for the last
>one, so I won't submit it until I get a check.
>
>To all my Jewish friends on RFC, I wish you a happy, healthy and
>prosperous new year.

Being from Brooklyn I celebrated every ethnic holiday.
One of my favorites for Rosh Hashanah is compote, simple with a
package of mixed dried fruit. I like a Luchen Kugel too, I prefer
with fine noodles and fried crisp. I know all the ethnic recipes...
if I lived in Texas I'd invite you for gingered brisket, chrain,
and kasha varnishkas. I'd have Mogan David red too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2014 7:27 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 18:22:33 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> I have 9 more sessions of radiation to go and I'm feeling well, except
>> for being tired a lot.
>>
>> Tomorrow night is the start of the Jewish New Year and it's my first
>> time alone. I always had a bunch of people to cook for and even when it
>> was just the two of us, I cooked for the holidays.
>>

> snip
> I'm sending a hug your way. Use it whenever you need it.
> Janet US

Thank you!

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2014 7:32 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 18:22:33 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> I have 9 more sessions of radiation to go and I'm feeling well, except
>> for being tired a lot.
>>
>> Tomorrow night is the start of the Jewish New Year and it's my first
>> time alone. I always had a bunch of people to cook for and even when it
>> was just the two of us, I cooked for the holidays.
>>
>> My radiation techs will let me come in at 8 AM on Thursday and Friday so
>> I can attend services. I'll have enough time to clean up and have some
>> caffeine to wake up before I have to leave.
>>
>> I decided to make myself a nice holiday dinner tomorrow night.
>>
>> One of my closest friends has her husband in the hospital having had 4
>> or 5 bypasses done yesterday. She has no time to cook or bake for her
>> family, so a raisin challah is in the bowl rising for her family right now.
>>
>> I'm also going to bake honey cake (traditional for a sweet new year) in
>> three loaf pans so I can give her some. I only need a small one for me.
>> Usually I do it in a tube pan.
>>
>> I had a couple of containers of chicken soup in the freezer, so I am
>> defrosting one, and I will make a couple of matzoh balls for myself to
>> put in the soup.
>>
>> I got a Cornish hen today and it's defrosting in the fridge as we speak.
>> I am thinking of spatchcocking it and making it on the gas grill off
>> the flame, with some pecan chips wrapped in foil over the fire to create
>> smoke. I'll put a nice rub on the hen.
>>
>> I have some homemade cranberry sauce in the fridge and will nuke a
>> veggie to go with half a hen.
>>
>> Finished editing another manuscript, but they still owe me for the last
>> one, so I won't submit it until I get a check.
>>
>> To all my Jewish friends on RFC, I wish you a happy, healthy and
>> prosperous new year.

> Being from Brooklyn I celebrated every ethnic holiday.
> One of my favorites for Rosh Hashanah is compote, simple with a
> package of mixed dried fruit. I like a Luchen Kugel too, I prefer
> with fine noodles and fried crisp. I know all the ethnic recipes...
> if I lived in Texas I'd invite you for gingered brisket, chrain,
> and kasha varnishkas. I'd have Mogan David red too.

Thanks for the invite.

I'm going to make a luckshin kugel (noodle kugel) tomorrow. Forgot to
mention that. I like broad noodles and I bake the kugel. I never heard
of fried kugel.

I have never had a brisket flavored with ginger. Sounds interesting. I
don't care for horseradish (chrain) with my meats and I make my own
kasha varnishkas.

I hate Mogen David wine. I detest all sweet wines. I won't even drink
it for Kiddish after Friday night services. It tastes like cough syrup.

I wouldn't mind a nice Cabernet with the brisket, however :-)

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2014 1:39 PM, Tara wrote:
> Happy New Year!
>
> I'd love to try your wonderful holiday cooking. I've never had challah,
> matzo balls, nor honey cake. I know you are making the recipients of
> your cooking so happy.
>
> Tara

This morning I made some kim chee fried rice made with chorizo and
bacon. Not traditional fare but it made me feel merry and festive alright.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> I have 9 more sessions of radiation to go and I'm feeling well, except
> for being tired a lot.
>
> Tomorrow night is the start of the Jewish New Year and it's my first
> time alone. I always had a bunch of people to cook for and even when it
> was just the two of us, I cooked for the holidays.
>
> My radiation techs will let me come in at 8 AM on Thursday and Friday so
> I can attend services. I'll have enough time to clean up and have some
> caffeine to wake up before I have to leave.
>
> I decided to make myself a nice holiday dinner tomorrow night.
>
> One of my closest friends has her husband in the hospital having had 4
> or 5 bypasses done yesterday. She has no time to cook or bake for her
> family, so a raisin challah is in the bowl rising for her family right now.
>
> I'm also going to bake honey cake (traditional for a sweet new year) in
> three loaf pans so I can give her some. I only need a small one for me.
> Usually I do it in a tube pan.
>
> I had a couple of containers of chicken soup in the freezer, so I am
> defrosting one, and I will make a couple of matzoh balls for myself to
> put in the soup.
>
> I got a Cornish hen today and it's defrosting in the fridge as we speak.
> I am thinking of spatchcocking it and making it on the gas grill off
> the flame, with some pecan chips wrapped in foil over the fire to create
> smoke. I'll put a nice rub on the hen.
>
> I have some homemade cranberry sauce in the fridge and will nuke a
> veggie to go with half a hen.
>
> Finished editing another manuscript, but they still owe me for the last
> one, so I won't submit it until I get a check.
>
> To all my Jewish friends on RFC, I wish you a happy, healthy and
> prosperous new year.

I hope that I could only have a small fraction of your good attitude
after I've been pummeled by everything you've been hit with lately.
Honestly, Janet - you're superwoman, IMO and I'm passing what you
posted on to my niece whose hero is superwoman... because I think you
could give superwoman a few lessons.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2014 6:22 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> I have 9 more sessions of radiation to go and I'm feeling well, except
> for being tired a lot.
>
> Tomorrow night is the start of the Jewish New Year and it's my first
> time alone. I always had a bunch of people to cook for and even when it
> was just the two of us, I cooked for the holidays.
>
> My radiation techs will let me come in at 8 AM on Thursday and Friday so
> I can attend services. I'll have enough time to clean up and have some
> caffeine to wake up before I have to leave.
>
> I decided to make myself a nice holiday dinner tomorrow night.
>
> One of my closest friends has her husband in the hospital having had 4
> or 5 bypasses done yesterday. She has no time to cook or bake for her
> family, so a raisin challah is in the bowl rising for her family right now.
>
> I'm also going to bake honey cake (traditional for a sweet new year) in
> three loaf pans so I can give her some. I only need a small one for me.
> Usually I do it in a tube pan.
>
> I had a couple of containers of chicken soup in the freezer, so I am
> defrosting one, and I will make a couple of matzoh balls for myself to
> put in the soup.
>
> I got a Cornish hen today and it's defrosting in the fridge as we speak.
> I am thinking of spatchcocking it and making it on the gas grill off
> the flame, with some pecan chips wrapped in foil over the fire to create
> smoke. I'll put a nice rub on the hen.
>
> I have some homemade cranberry sauce in the fridge and will nuke a
> veggie to go with half a hen.
>
> Finished editing another manuscript, but they still owe me for the last
> one, so I won't submit it until I get a check.
>
> To all my Jewish friends on RFC, I wish you a happy, healthy and
> prosperous new year.

L'Shanah Tovah! I hope you have a very sweet year.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> web.com...
>>I have 9 more sessions of radiation to go and I'm feeling well, except for
>>being tired a lot.
>>
>> Tomorrow night is the start of the Jewish New Year and it's my first time
>> alone. I always had a bunch of people to cook for and even when it was
>> just the two of us, I cooked for the holidays.
>>
>> My radiation techs will let me come in at 8 AM on Thursday and Friday so
>> I can attend services. I'll have enough time to clean up and have some
>> caffeine to wake up before I have to leave.
>>
>> I decided to make myself a nice holiday dinner tomorrow night.
>>
>> One of my closest friends has her husband in the hospital having had 4 or
>> 5 bypasses done yesterday. She has no time to cook or bake for her
>> family, so a raisin challah is in the bowl rising for her family right
>> now.
>>
>> I'm also going to bake honey cake (traditional for a sweet new year) in
>> three loaf pans so I can give her some. I only need a small one for me.
>> Usually I do it in a tube pan.
>>
>> I had a couple of containers of chicken soup in the freezer, so I am
>> defrosting one, and I will make a couple of matzoh balls for myself to
>> put in the soup.
>>
>> I got a Cornish hen today and it's defrosting in the fridge as we speak.
>> I am thinking of spatchcocking it and making it on the gas grill off the
>> flame, with some pecan chips wrapped in foil over the fire to create
>> smoke. I'll put a nice rub on the hen.
>>
>> I have some homemade cranberry sauce in the fridge and will nuke a veggie
>> to go with half a hen.

> All of that sounds very good. Enjoy!

It does indeed
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 9/23/2014 1:39 PM, Tara wrote:
>> Happy New Year!
>>
>> I'd love to try your wonderful holiday cooking. I've never had challah,
>> matzo balls, nor honey cake. I know you are making the recipients of
>> your cooking so happy.
>>
>> Tara
>>

> This morning I made some kim chee fried rice made with chorizo and bacon.
> Not traditional fare but it made me feel merry and festive alright.

What more could you ask? ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 20:28:57 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

>On 9/23/2014 7:32 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 18:22:33 -0500, Janet Wilder >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I have 9 more sessions of radiation to go and I'm feeling well, except
>>> for being tired a lot.
>>>
>>> Tomorrow night is the start of the Jewish New Year and it's my first
>>> time alone. I always had a bunch of people to cook for and even when it
>>> was just the two of us, I cooked for the holidays.
>>>
>>> My radiation techs will let me come in at 8 AM on Thursday and Friday so
>>> I can attend services. I'll have enough time to clean up and have some
>>> caffeine to wake up before I have to leave.
>>>
>>> I decided to make myself a nice holiday dinner tomorrow night.
>>>
>>> One of my closest friends has her husband in the hospital having had 4
>>> or 5 bypasses done yesterday. She has no time to cook or bake for her
>>> family, so a raisin challah is in the bowl rising for her family right now.
>>>
>>> I'm also going to bake honey cake (traditional for a sweet new year) in
>>> three loaf pans so I can give her some. I only need a small one for me.
>>> Usually I do it in a tube pan.
>>>
>>> I had a couple of containers of chicken soup in the freezer, so I am
>>> defrosting one, and I will make a couple of matzoh balls for myself to
>>> put in the soup.
>>>
>>> I got a Cornish hen today and it's defrosting in the fridge as we speak.
>>> I am thinking of spatchcocking it and making it on the gas grill off
>>> the flame, with some pecan chips wrapped in foil over the fire to create
>>> smoke. I'll put a nice rub on the hen.
>>>
>>> I have some homemade cranberry sauce in the fridge and will nuke a
>>> veggie to go with half a hen.
>>>
>>> Finished editing another manuscript, but they still owe me for the last
>>> one, so I won't submit it until I get a check.
>>>
>>> To all my Jewish friends on RFC, I wish you a happy, healthy and
>>> prosperous new year.

>> Being from Brooklyn I celebrated every ethnic holiday.
>> One of my favorites for Rosh Hashanah is compote, simple with a
>> package of mixed dried fruit. I like a Luchen Kugel too, I prefer
>> with fine noodles and fried crisp. I know all the ethnic recipes...
>> if I lived in Texas I'd invite you for gingered brisket, chrain,
>> and kasha varnishkas. I'd have Mogan David red too.
>>

>Thanks for the invite.
>
>I'm going to make a luckshin kugel (noodle kugel) tomorrow. Forgot to
>mention that. I like broad noodles and I bake the kugel. I never heard
>of fried kugel.
>
>I have never had a brisket flavored with ginger. Sounds interesting. I
>don't care for horseradish (chrain) with my meats and I make my own
>kasha varnishkas.
>
>I hate Mogen David wine. I detest all sweet wines. I won't even drink
>it for Kiddish after Friday night services. It tastes like cough syrup.
>
>I wouldn't mind a nice Cabernet with the brisket, however :-)

Brisket braised in gingerale is fabulous... of course with onions,
celery, carrots, s n'p, couple three bay leaves. You can also add a
can of jellied cranberry sauce.
http://food52.com/recipes/24335-savo...d-pepper-kugel
I double the recipe and use a 12 inch pan, and turn (like a frittata)
to brown both sides... rather than onions I prefer white raisins and
cinnamon, and fry in unsalted butter... excellent as a cold dish
too... also freezes well. I like a well browned crust, slice with a
bread knife.
Sweet concord grape wine makes excellent spritzers. Nowadays the
kosher wines are available in many flavors, some not at all sweet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2014 6:22 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> To all my Jewish friends on RFC, I wish you a happy, healthy and
> prosperous new year.

I'm not Jewish, but perhaps you can call me a friend. (-: I wish you a
happy, healthy and prosperous new year!

--
LeslieB

I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I'm perfect.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

> To all my Jewish friends on RFC, I wish you a happy, healthy and
> prosperous new year.

Gut Yuntif, a zeiseh tog, Janet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 19:45:16 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

>On 9/23/2014 7:27 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 18:22:33 -0500, Janet Wilder >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I have 9 more sessions of radiation to go and I'm feeling well, except
>>> for being tired a lot.
>>>
>>> Tomorrow night is the start of the Jewish New Year and it's my first
>>> time alone. I always had a bunch of people to cook for and even when it
>>> was just the two of us, I cooked for the holidays.
>>>

>> snip
>> I'm sending a hug your way. Use it whenever you need it.
>> Janet US
>>

>Thank you!

L'Shana Tova, Janet. May your year be sweet and filled with speedy
recovery and health.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2014 11:55 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 18:22:33 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> I have 9 more sessions of radiation to go and I'm feeling well, except
>> for being tired a lot.
>>
>> Tomorrow night is the start of the Jewish New Year and it's my first
>> time alone. I always had a bunch of people to cook for and even when it
>> was just the two of us, I cooked for the holidays.
>>
>> My radiation techs will let me come in at 8 AM on Thursday and Friday so
>> I can attend services. I'll have enough time to clean up and have some
>> caffeine to wake up before I have to leave.
>>
>> I decided to make myself a nice holiday dinner tomorrow night.
>>
>> One of my closest friends has her husband in the hospital having had 4
>> or 5 bypasses done yesterday. She has no time to cook or bake for her
>> family, so a raisin challah is in the bowl rising for her family right now.
>>
>> I'm also going to bake honey cake (traditional for a sweet new year) in
>> three loaf pans so I can give her some. I only need a small one for me.
>> Usually I do it in a tube pan.
>>
>> I had a couple of containers of chicken soup in the freezer, so I am
>> defrosting one, and I will make a couple of matzoh balls for myself to
>> put in the soup.
>>
>> I got a Cornish hen today and it's defrosting in the fridge as we speak.
>> I am thinking of spatchcocking it and making it on the gas grill off
>> the flame, with some pecan chips wrapped in foil over the fire to create
>> smoke. I'll put a nice rub on the hen.
>>
>> I have some homemade cranberry sauce in the fridge and will nuke a
>> veggie to go with half a hen.
>>
>> Finished editing another manuscript, but they still owe me for the last
>> one, so I won't submit it until I get a check.
>>
>> To all my Jewish friends on RFC, I wish you a happy, healthy and
>> prosperous new year.

> I hope that I could only have a small fraction of your good attitude
> after I've been pummeled by everything you've been hit with lately.
> Honestly, Janet - you're superwoman, IMO and I'm passing what you
> posted on to my niece whose hero is superwoman... because I think you
> could give superwoman a few lessons.

I'm blushing from the complement. Seriously, I'm no super hero, I'm
just too stupid to give up.

BTW, my holiday dinner tasted wonderful. It was very lonely, though.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2014 7:34 AM, Becca EmaNymton wrote:
> On 9/23/2014 6:22 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> I have 9 more sessions of radiation to go and I'm feeling well, except
>> for being tired a lot.
>>
>> Tomorrow night is the start of the Jewish New Year and it's my first
>> time alone. I always had a bunch of people to cook for and even when it
>> was just the two of us, I cooked for the holidays.
>>
>> My radiation techs will let me come in at 8 AM on Thursday and Friday so
>> I can attend services. I'll have enough time to clean up and have some
>> caffeine to wake up before I have to leave.
>>
>> I decided to make myself a nice holiday dinner tomorrow night.
>>
>> One of my closest friends has her husband in the hospital having had 4
>> or 5 bypasses done yesterday. She has no time to cook or bake for her
>> family, so a raisin challah is in the bowl rising for her family right
>> now.
>>
>> I'm also going to bake honey cake (traditional for a sweet new year) in
>> three loaf pans so I can give her some. I only need a small one for me.
>> Usually I do it in a tube pan.
>>
>> I had a couple of containers of chicken soup in the freezer, so I am
>> defrosting one, and I will make a couple of matzoh balls for myself to
>> put in the soup.
>>
>> I got a Cornish hen today and it's defrosting in the fridge as we speak.
>> I am thinking of spatchcocking it and making it on the gas grill off
>> the flame, with some pecan chips wrapped in foil over the fire to create
>> smoke. I'll put a nice rub on the hen.
>>
>> I have some homemade cranberry sauce in the fridge and will nuke a
>> veggie to go with half a hen.
>>
>> Finished editing another manuscript, but they still owe me for the last
>> one, so I won't submit it until I get a check.
>>
>> To all my Jewish friends on RFC, I wish you a happy, healthy and
>> prosperous new year.

> L'Shanah Tovah! I hope you have a very sweet year.
>
> Becca

Thanks, Becca.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2014 1:56 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:
> On 9/23/2014 6:22 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> To all my Jewish friends on RFC, I wish you a happy, healthy and
>> prosperous new year.

> I'm not Jewish, but perhaps you can call me a friend. (-: I wish you a
> happy, healthy and prosperous new year!

Thank you. You *are* a friend.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2014 3:04 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>>
>> To all my Jewish friends on RFC, I wish you a happy, healthy and
>> prosperous new year.

> Gut Yuntif, a zeiseh tog, Janet.

Thanks, Sheldon. Your message is some of the little Yiddish I know.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2014 5:20 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 19:45:16 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> On 9/23/2014 7:27 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

>>> snip
>>> I'm sending a hug your way. Use it whenever you need it.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> Thank you!

> L'Shana Tova, Janet. May your year be sweet and filled with speedy
> recovery and health.
>
> Boron

Thank you.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 19:36:09 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> I'm blushing from the complement. Seriously, I'm no super hero, I'm
> just too stupid to give up.

I meant it!

> BTW, my holiday dinner tasted wonderful. It was very lonely, though.

Glad to hear the dinner turned out well... hopefully you'll feel up to
having a few people over or attending dinner with friends next year.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 19:39:15 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

>On 9/24/2014 3:04 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Janet Wilder wrote:
>>>
>>> To all my Jewish friends on RFC, I wish you a happy, healthy and
>>> prosperous new year.

>> Gut Yuntif, a zeiseh tog, Janet.
>>

>Thanks, Sheldon. Your message is some of the little Yiddish I know.

I know some from living in Brooklyn but I also use on line Yiddish
dictionarys, there are many.
http://www.yiddishdictionaryonline.com/
Yiddish is a dying language. Most religious Jews today speak some
Hebrew, if that, few young Jews have been subjected to Yiddish. Most
synagogues conduct services in English, the orthodox use Hebrew, no
synagogues use Yiddish, never did... all the prayer books are written
in Hebrew, never Yiddish. Hardly anyone in Israel speaks Yiddish,
most Yiddish speakers have died off.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 19:36:09 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:
snip

>BTW, my holiday dinner tasted wonderful. It was very lonely, though.

time to unwrap that hug. That's what it's for.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 21:29:36 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:
snip Most
>synagogues conduct services in English, the orthodox use Hebrew, no
>synagogues use Yiddish, never did... all the prayer books are written
>in Hebrew, never Yiddish. Hardly anyone in Israel speaks Yiddish,
>most Yiddish speakers have died off.

In a way it's a shame. When I was growing up in my hometown, many
church's had German services and English services. I'm sure that was
true of many communities with a strong ethnic influence. We are
losing some of who we are as we become more homogenized.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2014 8:02 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 19:36:09 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> I'm blushing from the complement. Seriously, I'm no super hero, I'm
>> just too stupid to give up.

> I meant it!
>>
>> BTW, my holiday dinner tasted wonderful. It was very lonely, though.

> Glad to hear the dinner turned out well... hopefully you'll feel up to
> having a few people over or attending dinner with friends next year.

Next year, G-d willing, I intend to celebrate the New Year on a cruise ship.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2014 8:29 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 19:39:15 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:

>>> Gut Yuntif, a zeiseh tog, Janet.
>>>

>> Thanks, Sheldon. Your message is some of the little Yiddish I know.

> I know some from living in Brooklyn but I also use on line Yiddish
> dictionarys, there are many.
> http://www.yiddishdictionaryonline.com/
> Yiddish is a dying language. Most religious Jews today speak some
> Hebrew, if that, few young Jews have been subjected to Yiddish. Most
> synagogues conduct services in English, the orthodox use Hebrew, no
> synagogues use Yiddish, never did... all the prayer books are written
> in Hebrew, never Yiddish. Hardly anyone in Israel speaks Yiddish,
> most Yiddish speakers have died off.

Actually many of the Ultra-Orthodox communities (the ones who dress sort
of like Amish) still speak Yiddish as their primary language.

My grandmother, I was told, had a prayer book that was Hebrew on one
side and Yiddish on the other, just as modern ones have Hebrew and
English translations.

There are universities that offer Yiddish language courses because many
people feel it's necessary to preserve the language due to the treasury
of Yiddish literature.

I have never been in a synagogue that ONLY used English. Hebrew, "the
Holy Language", is still a large part of the service. In Buenos Aires,
the services were in Hebrew and Spanish. In Paris they were in Hebrew
and French.

Many of the Haredi in Israel (Ultra-Orthodox) speak Yiddish.

Yiddish is not dead yet. More people speak it as an everyday language
than those who speak Latin. :-)

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2014 9:45 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 19:36:09 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
> snip
>>
>> BTW, my holiday dinner tasted wonderful. It was very lonely, though.

> time to unwrap that hug. That's what it's for.
> Janet US

I did, and it was lovely.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 07:43:57 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

>Many of the Haredi in Israel (Ultra-Orthodox) speak Yiddish.
>
>Yiddish is not dead yet. More people speak it as an everyday language
>than those who speak Latin. :-)

There are Chasids within the office complex where I work. I hear
Yiddish every day.

Many year ago when I still lived in the city, my aunt and cousin
were visiting and I took them down to Orchard Street (nothing like the
gentrified area it is these days) and we wandered into a store to
shop. Bargaining was still alive and well down there.

All three of us are fair-skinned and blue eyed, with me a blonde and
my cousin with light hair. None of the three of us would be considered
"Jewish looking".

My aunt took an interest in a very nice sweater and as she looked, we
heard the two men behind the counter (kippas & tsitsis) discussing the
lowest price they'd let the sweater go for. We three women exchanged
knowing glances, haggled a bit for fun, made the purchase at that
lowest price, and as we were leaving, all three of us switched to
Yiddish among ourselves as we walked out. Then we looked back at the
two surprised men behind the counter.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/25/2014 9:22 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:

> Many year ago when I still lived in the city, my aunt and cousin
> were visiting and I took them down to Orchard Street (nothing like the
> gentrified area it is these days) and we wandered into a store to
> shop. Bargaining was still alive and well down there.
>
> All three of us are fair-skinned and blue eyed, with me a blonde and
> my cousin with light hair. None of the three of us would be considered
> "Jewish looking".
>
> My aunt took an interest in a very nice sweater and as she looked, we
> heard the two men behind the counter (kippas & tsitsis) discussing the
> lowest price they'd let the sweater go for. We three women exchanged
> knowing glances, haggled a bit for fun, made the purchase at that
> lowest price, and as we were leaving, all three of us switched to
> Yiddish among ourselves as we walked out. Then we looked back at the
> two surprised men behind the counter.

Love it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/09/2014 7:22 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 07:43:57 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>

>> Many of the Haredi in Israel (Ultra-Orthodox) speak Yiddish.
>>
>> Yiddish is not dead yet. More people speak it as an everyday language
>> than those who speak Latin. :-)

> There are Chasids within the office complex where I work. I hear
> Yiddish every day.
>
> Many year ago when I still lived in the city, my aunt and cousin
> were visiting and I took them down to Orchard Street (nothing like the
> gentrified area it is these days) and we wandered into a store to
> shop. Bargaining was still alive and well down there.
>
> All three of us are fair-skinned and blue eyed, with me a blonde and
> my cousin with light hair. None of the three of us would be considered
> "Jewish looking".
>
> My aunt took an interest in a very nice sweater and as she looked, we
> heard the two men behind the counter (kippas & tsitsis) discussing the
> lowest price they'd let the sweater go for. We three women exchanged
> knowing glances, haggled a bit for fun, made the purchase at that
> lowest price, and as we were leaving, all three of us switched to
> Yiddish among ourselves as we walked out. Then we looked back at the
> two surprised men behind the counter.
>
> Boron

At an "upgrading" high school in this city, some Chinese students were
talking among themselves about what they would like to do to the
stunning, typically Scandinavian blonde teacher. She turned around and
let fly in fluent Cantonese. She never had any discipline problems after
that.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 07:38:19 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> On 9/24/2014 8:02 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 19:36:09 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I'm blushing from the complement. Seriously, I'm no super hero, I'm
> >> just too stupid to give up.

> > I meant it!
> >>
> >> BTW, my holiday dinner tasted wonderful. It was very lonely, though.

> > Glad to hear the dinner turned out well... hopefully you'll feel up to
> > having a few people over or attending dinner with friends next year.
> >

> Next year, G-d willing, I intend to celebrate the New Year on a cruise ship.

I like your plan! My grandmother always used the phrase "G-d willing"
too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 09:15:02 -0600, graham > wrote:

> At an "upgrading" high school in this city, some Chinese students were
>talking among themselves about what they would like to do to the
>stunning, typically Scandinavian blonde teacher. She turned around and
>let fly in fluent Cantonese. She never had any discipline problems after
>that.
>Graham

Books. Covers. Judging.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/25/2014 8:38 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 9/24/2014 8:02 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 19:36:09 -0500, Janet Wilder >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm blushing from the complement. Seriously, I'm no super hero, I'm
>>> just too stupid to give up.

>> I meant it!
>>>
>>> BTW, my holiday dinner tasted wonderful. It was very lonely, though.

>> Glad to hear the dinner turned out well... hopefully you'll feel up to
>> having a few people over or attending dinner with friends next year.
>>

> Next year, G-d willing, I intend to celebrate the New Year on a cruise
> ship.

Good plan! Meanwhile, are you getting excited about the class
reunion yet?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/25/2014 9:22 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 07:43:57 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>

>> Many of the Haredi in Israel (Ultra-Orthodox) speak Yiddish.
>>
>> Yiddish is not dead yet. More people speak it as an everyday language
>> than those who speak Latin. :-)

> There are Chasids within the office complex where I work. I hear
> Yiddish every day.
>
> Many year ago when I still lived in the city, my aunt and cousin
> were visiting and I took them down to Orchard Street (nothing like the
> gentrified area it is these days) and we wandered into a store to
> shop. Bargaining was still alive and well down there.
>
> All three of us are fair-skinned and blue eyed, with me a blonde and
> my cousin with light hair. None of the three of us would be considered
> "Jewish looking".
>
> My aunt took an interest in a very nice sweater and as she looked, we
> heard the two men behind the counter (kippas & tsitsis) discussing the
> lowest price they'd let the sweater go for. We three women exchanged
> knowing glances, haggled a bit for fun, made the purchase at that
> lowest price, and as we were leaving, all three of us switched to
> Yiddish among ourselves as we walked out. Then we looked back at the
> two surprised men behind the counter.
>
> Boron

It's always fun to get one over on people who think they're getting one
over on you! Kudos!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Janet Wilder wrote:
>
> > Next year, G-d willing, I intend to celebrate the New Year on a cruise ship.

> I like your plan! My grandmother always used the phrase "G-d willing"
> too.

I've never heard anyone say "G-d willing."
I have heard, "God willing" though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 15:41:06 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>sf wrote:
>>
>> Janet Wilder wrote:
>>
>> > Next year, G-d willing, I intend to celebrate the New Year on a cruise ship.

>> I like your plan! My grandmother always used the phrase "G-d willing"
>> too.

>I've never heard anyone say "G-d willing."
>I have heard, "God willing" though.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/...daism/g-d.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2014 7:22 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> I have 9 more sessions of radiation to go and I'm feeling well, except
> for being tired a lot.
>
> Tomorrow night is the start of the Jewish New Year and it's my first
> time alone. I always had a bunch of people to cook for and even when it
> was just the two of us, I cooked for the holidays.
>
> My radiation techs will let me come in at 8 AM on Thursday and Friday so
> I can attend services. I'll have enough time to clean up and have some
> caffeine to wake up before I have to leave.
>
> I decided to make myself a nice holiday dinner tomorrow night.
>
> One of my closest friends has her husband in the hospital having had 4
> or 5 bypasses done yesterday. She has no time to cook or bake for her
> family, so a raisin challah is in the bowl rising for her family right now.
>
> I'm also going to bake honey cake (traditional for a sweet new year) in
> three loaf pans so I can give her some. I only need a small one for me.
> Usually I do it in a tube pan.
>
> I had a couple of containers of chicken soup in the freezer, so I am
> defrosting one, and I will make a couple of matzoh balls for myself to
> put in the soup.
>
> I got a Cornish hen today and it's defrosting in the fridge as we speak.
> I am thinking of spatchcocking it and making it on the gas grill off
> the flame, with some pecan chips wrapped in foil over the fire to create
> smoke. I'll put a nice rub on the hen.
>
> I have some homemade cranberry sauce in the fridge and will nuke a
> veggie to go with half a hen.
>
> Finished editing another manuscript, but they still owe me for the last
> one, so I won't submit it until I get a check.
>
> To all my Jewish friends on RFC, I wish you a happy, healthy and
> prosperous new year.

A little late, but happy new year to you, Janet, and I hope the chemo
and radiation does the job this time. The alone part I'm sure will be
filled by your friends that are nearby, of course not the same. You have
a great support system with a lot of people who love and care about you
so much.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/25/2014 8:22 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 07:43:57 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>

>> Many of the Haredi in Israel (Ultra-Orthodox) speak Yiddish.
>>
>> Yiddish is not dead yet. More people speak it as an everyday language
>> than those who speak Latin. :-)

> There are Chasids within the office complex where I work. I hear
> Yiddish every day.
>
> Many year ago when I still lived in the city, my aunt and cousin
> were visiting and I took them down to Orchard Street (nothing like the
> gentrified area it is these days) and we wandered into a store to
> shop. Bargaining was still alive and well down there.
>
> All three of us are fair-skinned and blue eyed, with me a blonde and
> my cousin with light hair. None of the three of us would be considered
> "Jewish looking".
>
> My aunt took an interest in a very nice sweater and as she looked, we
> heard the two men behind the counter (kippas & tsitsis) discussing the
> lowest price they'd let the sweater go for. We three women exchanged
> knowing glances, haggled a bit for fun, made the purchase at that
> lowest price, and as we were leaving, all three of us switched to
> Yiddish among ourselves as we walked out. Then we looked back at the
> two surprised men behind the counter.
>
> Boron

Love it!

--