Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Short Ribs In Red Wine Sauce - Further adventure in Induction

On 9/5/2014 10:21 AM, sf wrote:
> > wrote:
>>> Your butcher makes house calls?

>> Yes.
>> So does the fish man.
>> And the milk is delivered by the postie, along with the daily newspaper.

> Wow. We do companies now that will deliver, but you have to buy a lot
> for that to happen and I certainly wouldn't call the truck driver a
> "butcher". An order list does not a butcher (or fish monger) make.

He's a real butcher. He knows his products and takes special orders, as
well as selling basics on 'spec'. One day a week he drives a truck
rather than standing behind his counter.
The fish man gets his fish fresh from the docks in Caithness in the
morning, and delivers them the same day.
This is a very rural area, and we've had a butcher and a fish man coming
around for as long as I can remember. Years ago, we also had
Johnny-the-Bread, who delivered freshly baked breads and rolls from his
family's bakery.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 14:29:05 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:

> On 9/5/2014 10:21 AM, sf wrote:
> > > wrote:
> >> Yes.
> >> So does the fish man.
> >> And the milk is delivered by the postie, along with the daily newspaper.

> > Wow. We do companies now that will deliver, but you have to buy a lot
> > for that to happen and I certainly wouldn't call the truck driver a
> > "butcher". An order list does not a butcher (or fish monger) make.
> >

> He's a real butcher. He knows his products and takes special orders, as
> well as selling basics on 'spec'. One day a week he drives a truck
> rather than standing behind his counter.
> The fish man gets his fish fresh from the docks in Caithness in the
> morning, and delivers them the same day.
> This is a very rural area, and we've had a butcher and a fish man coming
> around for as long as I can remember. Years ago, we also had
> Johnny-the-Bread, who delivered freshly baked breads and rolls from his
> family's bakery.

You guys have it good over there. People over here in remote or even
not so remote areas have to do their own shopping!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-09-05 2:37 PM, sf wrote:
>> This is a very rural area, and we've had a butcher and a fish man coming
>> around for as long as I can remember. Years ago, we also had
>> Johnny-the-Bread, who delivered freshly baked breads and rolls from his
>> family's bakery.

> You guys have it good over there. People over here in remote or even
> not so remote areas have to do their own shopping!

When I was young there was a milk man and a bread man. There was also
the ice man but by that time most people had electric refrigerators. We
had milk deliver for a couple years after we moved here in the late
1970s. In the city near us they had horse drawn milk delivery at that
time. Home milk delivery ended about 30 years ago here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 14:49:39 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> Home milk delivery ended about 30 years ago here.

It ended more like 50-60 years ago where I used to live in Michigan.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Avoid repeating annoying and lame sig files every chance you get.

I agree. Sig files are lame. I'm glad you don't use one.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/5/2014 12:29 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 9/5/2014 10:21 AM, sf wrote:
>> > wrote:
>>> Yes.
>>> So does the fish man.
>>> And the milk is delivered by the postie, along with the daily newspaper.

>> Wow. We do companies now that will deliver, but you have to buy a lot
>> for that to happen and I certainly wouldn't call the truck driver a
>> "butcher". An order list does not a butcher (or fish monger) make.
>>

> He's a real butcher. He knows his products and takes special orders, as
> well as selling basics on 'spec'. One day a week he drives a truck
> rather than standing behind his counter.
> The fish man gets his fish fresh from the docks in Caithness in the
> morning, and delivers them the same day.
> This is a very rural area, and we've had a butcher and a fish man coming
> around for as long as I can remember. Years ago, we also had
> Johnny-the-Bread, who delivered freshly baked breads and rolls from his
> family's bakery.

Sounds totally charming!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On 9/4/2014 5:44 AM, Mayo wrote:

> >> Lucky kid! I used to have an aluminum meat tenderizer that looked like a
> >> hammer with pointy pyramids on one side. I was so very proud of that
> >> thing but then it broke.

> > I still have one of those, it sees occasional duty as an ice mallet.

> It was while pounding ice that I broke the mallet. I'll probably never
> pound ice again. That's a young man's game anyway.

You have ice in Hawaii? Go figure.... ;-\
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 17:12:48 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > Avoid repeating annoying and lame sig files every chance you get.

> I agree. Sig files are lame. I'm glad you don't use one.
>
> G.

No idea who you're replying to. Only lamers can possibly be annoyed;
because all of my sig lines are properly formatted and are inserted
below the body of text.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/5/2014 11:55 AM, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

>>> I still have one of those, it sees occasional duty as an ice mallet.

>> It was while pounding ice that I broke the mallet. I'll probably never
>> pound ice again. That's a young man's game anyway.

> You have ice in Hawaii? Go figure.... ;-\

I get mine from the big hotel's dumpster - it great!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/5/2014 8:18 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 9/5/2014 11:55 AM, Gary wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> It was while pounding ice that I broke the mallet. I'll probably never
>>> pound ice again. That's a young man's game anyway.

>> You have ice in Hawaii? Go figure.... ;-\
>>

> I get mine from the big hotel's dumpster - it great!

Not to take it serious, but I read that commercial ice has the highest
bacterial numbers of anything save for soft-serve ice cream.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/5/2014 6:36 PM, Mayo wrote:
> On 9/5/2014 8:18 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> You have ice in Hawaii? Go figure.... ;-\
>>>

>> I get mine from the big hotel's dumpster - it great!

> Not to take it serious, but I read that commercial ice has the highest
> bacterial numbers of anything save for soft-serve ice cream.

This is why I've given up reading. :-)

My old boss said he once saw a homeless guy standing in the dumpster
next to the place I used to work. The place was next to a bakery and he
had found a mother-lode of apple pies. He said the guy looked at him
with a shit-eatin' grin on his face and happily proclaimed, as if he
were in a commercial, "Apple pie - it's great!" It this a great country
or what!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 22:36:03 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

> Not to take it serious, but I read that commercial ice has the highest
> bacterial numbers of anything save for soft-serve ice cream.

I hadn't thought about soft serve ice cream, but yes - I bet it does.
Don't forget about the soft drink dispenser, that's another place
where nasties gather.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 22:36:03 -0600, Mayo > wrote:
>
>> Not to take it serious, but I read that commercial ice has the highest
>> bacterial numbers of anything save for soft-serve ice cream.

> I hadn't thought about soft serve ice cream, but yes - I bet it does.
> Don't forget about the soft drink dispenser, that's another place
> where nasties gather.

Have you seen chocolate fountains?? Ugh, imagine having that on your ice
cream when they are in the open air Imagine the bugs it picks up!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Sep 2014 16:19:00 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 22:36:03 -0600, Mayo > wrote:
> >
> >> Not to take it serious, but I read that commercial ice has the highest
> >> bacterial numbers of anything save for soft-serve ice cream.

> > I hadn't thought about soft serve ice cream, but yes - I bet it does.
> > Don't forget about the soft drink dispenser, that's another place
> > where nasties gather.

> Have you seen chocolate fountains?? Ugh, imagine having that on your ice
> cream when they are in the open air Imagine the bugs it picks up!

I've only seen one once in a restaurant setting. It was in the
dessert section of one of those Japanese buffet type places. As far
as the unit itself goes, I have one. DD used it for a couple of
parties and it's stored at my house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 6 Sep 2014 16:19:00 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>> > I hadn't thought about soft serve ice cream, but yes - I bet it does.
>> > Don't forget about the soft drink dispenser, that's another place
>> > where nasties gather.

>> Have you seen chocolate fountains?? Ugh, imagine having that on your
>> ice
>> cream when they are in the open air Imagine the bugs it picks up!

> I've only seen one once in a restaurant setting. It was in the
> dessert section of one of those Japanese buffet type places. As far
> as the unit itself goes, I have one. DD used it for a couple of
> parties and it's stored at my house.

There is one in an open fronted shop in the mall. In a home setting and
for short periods I would have no problem ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/6/2014 2:55 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 9/5/2014 6:36 PM, Mayo wrote:

>>> I get mine from the big hotel's dumpster - it great!

>> Not to take it serious, but I read that commercial ice has the highest
>> bacterial numbers of anything save for soft-serve ice cream.

> This is why I've given up reading. :-)

Sure ruins a trip to DQ, doesn't it?

> My old boss said he once saw a homeless guy standing in the dumpster
> next to the place I used to work. The place was next to a bakery and he
> had found a mother-lode of apple pies. He said the guy looked at him
> with a shit-eatin' grin on his face and happily proclaimed, as if he
> were in a commercial, "Apple pie - it's great!" It this a great country
> or what!

I love it!

Good on the homeless guy!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/6/2014 8:28 AM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 22:36:03 -0600, Mayo > wrote:
>
>> Not to take it serious, but I read that commercial ice has the highest
>> bacterial numbers of anything save for soft-serve ice cream.

> I hadn't thought about soft serve ice cream, but yes - I bet it does.
> Don't forget about the soft drink dispenser, that's another place
> where nasties gather.

That too, yes.

I'll opt for canned or bottled if he option is there, or OJ.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/6/2014 9:19 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 22:36:03 -0600, Mayo > wrote:
>>
>>> Not to take it serious, but I read that commercial ice has the highest
>>> bacterial numbers of anything save for soft-serve ice cream.

>> I hadn't thought about soft serve ice cream, but yes - I bet it does.
>> Don't forget about the soft drink dispenser, that's another place
>> where nasties gather.

> Have you seen chocolate fountains?? Ugh, imagine having that on your
> ice cream when they are in the open air Imagine the bugs it picks up!

That is a device I have never once been tempted to feed from, it just
looks wrong on so many levels.

If I do soft serve the first glob goes to the waste catcher below. It
may not get all the bacteria, but it has to do some good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 05 Sep 2014 22:36:03 -0600, Mayo > wrote:
>>
>>> Not to take it serious, but I read that commercial ice has the highest
>>> bacterial numbers of anything save for soft-serve ice cream.

>> I hadn't thought about soft serve ice cream, but yes - I bet it does.
>> Don't forget about the soft drink dispenser, that's another place
>> where nasties gather.

> Have you seen chocolate fountains?? Ugh, imagine having that on your ice
> cream when they are in the open air Imagine the bugs it picks up!

There is a restaurant here that has one. No thanks!