Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Yes, we can!

I prepared a big meal tonight at DD's house and hubby's numbers were
excellent = 127!

http://www.joyfulhealthyeats.com/ses...-peanut-sauce/
The chicken was great, but the peanut sauce needs work... everybody
liked it, but I think it could improve.

http://juliasalbum.com/2014/06/spicy...nt-and-quinoa/
Followed the recipe (using my best judgment with the added liquid).
Also, I used one Asian (the long skinny one) eggplant instead of the
usual "globe", plus a 6-7 inch zucchini. Didn't have Thai Red Curry
Paste on hand, so I used a homemade tomato jam (which was spicy).
Believe it or not, I did have fish sauce and sesame oil to use - I was
only missing the red curry paste. I knew I had some at home, but
couldn't visualize where it was so I couldn't tell hubby where to find
it so he could bring it over.

The rest of the meal was a tossed green salad mixed with TJ's
Cranberry Almond Grain Medley, dressed with Trader (Joe's) Ming's
Sesame Soy Ginger Vinaigrette and BBQ roasted corn on the cob.
Who says you can't eat well and still keep your blood glucose under
control?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
>I prepared a big meal tonight at DD's house and hubby's numbers were
> excellent = 127!
>
> http://www.joyfulhealthyeats.com/ses...-peanut-sauce/
> The chicken was great, but the peanut sauce needs work... everybody
> liked it, but I think it could improve.
>
> http://juliasalbum.com/2014/06/spicy...nt-and-quinoa/
> Followed the recipe (using my best judgment with the added liquid).
> Also, I used one Asian (the long skinny one) eggplant instead of the
> usual "globe", plus a 6-7 inch zucchini. Didn't have Thai Red Curry
> Paste on hand, so I used a homemade tomato jam (which was spicy).
> Believe it or not, I did have fish sauce and sesame oil to use - I was
> only missing the red curry paste. I knew I had some at home, but
> couldn't visualize where it was so I couldn't tell hubby where to find
> it so he could bring it over.
>
> The rest of the meal was a tossed green salad mixed with TJ's
> Cranberry Almond Grain Medley, dressed with Trader (Joe's) Ming's
> Sesame Soy Ginger Vinaigrette and BBQ roasted corn on the cob.
> Who says you can't eat well and still keep your blood glucose under
> control?

I had very good numbers today too. 126 and 100 being the lowest. We ate at
the taqueria. I was going to make steaks for husband and daughter but those
will be done today now. I had to go to the eye Dr. and that took over 2
hours. They got new equipment and that made some things easier and other
things not go so well. After that I had to go wash my car and then get a
new mattress. So.... We just dined out. Not sure what husband ate because
it's kind of Mother Hubbardy in here. There is leftover soup, coleslaw and
some sandwiches. Doing a big stock up tomorrow before school starts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> I prepared a big meal tonight at DD's house and hubby's numbers were
> excellent = 127!
>
> http://www.joyfulhealthyeats.com/ses...-peanut-sauce/
> The chicken was great, but the peanut sauce needs work... everybody
> liked it, but I think it could improve.
>
> http://juliasalbum.com/2014/06/spicy...nt-and-quinoa/
> Followed the recipe (using my best judgment with the added liquid).
> Also, I used one Asian (the long skinny one) eggplant instead of the
> usual "globe", plus a 6-7 inch zucchini. Didn't have Thai Red Curry
> Paste on hand, so I used a homemade tomato jam (which was spicy).
> Believe it or not, I did have fish sauce and sesame oil to use - I was
> only missing the red curry paste. I knew I had some at home, but
> couldn't visualize where it was so I couldn't tell hubby where to find
> it so he could bring it over.
>
> The rest of the meal was a tossed green salad mixed with TJ's
> Cranberry Almond Grain Medley, dressed with Trader (Joe's) Ming's
> Sesame Soy Ginger Vinaigrette and BBQ roasted corn on the cob.
> Who says you can't eat well and still keep your blood glucose under
> control?

*applause* )
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JohnJohn" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 11:50:03 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"sf" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> I prepared a big meal tonight at DD's house and hubby's numbers were
>>> excellent = 127!
>>>
>>> http://www.joyfulhealthyeats.com/ses...-peanut-sauce/
>>> The chicken was great, but the peanut sauce needs work... everybody
>>> liked it, but I think it could improve.
>>>
>>> http://juliasalbum.com/2014/06/spicy...nt-and-quinoa/
>>> Followed the recipe (using my best judgment with the added liquid).
>>> Also, I used one Asian (the long skinny one) eggplant instead of the
>>> usual "globe", plus a 6-7 inch zucchini. Didn't have Thai Red Curry
>>> Paste on hand, so I used a homemade tomato jam (which was spicy).
>>> Believe it or not, I did have fish sauce and sesame oil to use - I was
>>> only missing the red curry paste. I knew I had some at home, but
>>> couldn't visualize where it was so I couldn't tell hubby where to find
>>> it so he could bring it over.
>>>
>>> The rest of the meal was a tossed green salad mixed with TJ's
>>> Cranberry Almond Grain Medley, dressed with Trader (Joe's) Ming's
>>> Sesame Soy Ginger Vinaigrette and BBQ roasted corn on the cob.
>>> Who says you can't eat well and still keep your blood glucose under
>>> control?

> I don't know but you could stop using industrial concoctions from
> supermarkets.

I didn't write that.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JohnJohn" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 12:14:25 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"JohnJohn" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 11:50:03 +0100, "Ophelia"

m...

>>> I don't know but you could stop using industrial concoctions from
>>> supermarkets.

>>I didn't write that.

> I know, sorry for my messy quoting.

I'll let you off, just this once mind! If it happens again there will be
trubble with a capital tr!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/28/2014 2:02 AM, sf wrote:
> I prepared a big meal tonight at DD's house and hubby's numbers were
> excellent = 127!
>
> http://www.joyfulhealthyeats.com/ses...-peanut-sauce/
> The chicken was great, but the peanut sauce needs work... everybody
> liked it, but I think it could improve.
>
> http://juliasalbum.com/2014/06/spicy...nt-and-quinoa/
> Followed the recipe (using my best judgment with the added liquid).
> Also, I used one Asian (the long skinny one) eggplant instead of the
> usual "globe", plus a 6-7 inch zucchini. Didn't have Thai Red Curry
> Paste on hand, so I used a homemade tomato jam (which was spicy).
> Believe it or not, I did have fish sauce and sesame oil to use - I was
> only missing the red curry paste. I knew I had some at home, but
> couldn't visualize where it was so I couldn't tell hubby where to find
> it so he could bring it over.
>
> The rest of the meal was a tossed green salad mixed with TJ's
> Cranberry Almond Grain Medley, dressed with Trader (Joe's) Ming's
> Sesame Soy Ginger Vinaigrette and BBQ roasted corn on the cob.
> Who says you can't eat well and still keep your blood glucose under
> control?

Sounds like a wonderful meal, I am sure everyone enjoyed it. The peanut
sauce might have needed more vinegar, because that did not sound like
much. I like to add a little sugar (Equal) and chili garlic paste to
mine. I like it hot and sweet, like me. ;-)

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 21:06:00 +1000, JohnJohn >
wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 11:50:03 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

> >"sf" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> I prepared a big meal tonight at DD's house and hubby's numbers were
> >> excellent = 127!
> >>
> >> http://www.joyfulhealthyeats.com/ses...-peanut-sauce/
> >> The chicken was great, but the peanut sauce needs work... everybody
> >> liked it, but I think it could improve.
> >>
> >> http://juliasalbum.com/2014/06/spicy...nt-and-quinoa/
> >> Followed the recipe (using my best judgment with the added liquid).
> >> Also, I used one Asian (the long skinny one) eggplant instead of the
> >> usual "globe", plus a 6-7 inch zucchini. Didn't have Thai Red Curry
> >> Paste on hand, so I used a homemade tomato jam (which was spicy).
> >> Believe it or not, I did have fish sauce and sesame oil to use - I was
> >> only missing the red curry paste. I knew I had some at home, but
> >> couldn't visualize where it was so I couldn't tell hubby where to find
> >> it so he could bring it over.
> >>
> >> The rest of the meal was a tossed green salad mixed with TJ's
> >> Cranberry Almond Grain Medley, dressed with Trader (Joe's) Ming's
> >> Sesame Soy Ginger Vinaigrette and BBQ roasted corn on the cob.
> >> Who says you can't eat well and still keep your blood glucose under
> >> control?

> I don't know but you could stop using industrial concoctions from
> supermarkets.

When you start posting about what you cook, I might have a glimmer of
respect for what you have to say. Until then, STFU.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 21:40:58 +1000, JohnJohn >
wrote:

> I know, sorry for my messy quoting.
>
> --

Which only goes to prove that you're not only an asshole, you're an
idiot too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 07:30:40 -0500, Becca EmaNymton
> wrote:

> Sounds like a wonderful meal, I am sure everyone enjoyed it. The peanut
> sauce might have needed more vinegar, because that did not sound like
> much. I like to add a little sugar (Equal) and chili garlic paste to
> mine. I like it hot and sweet, like me. ;-)

I actually did add some chili paste to it. I tried not to make it too
hot, I was feeding a 3 YO). My thought was to add more lime. Didn't
consider sweet though, so thanks. I had a bottle of TJ's Thai sweet
chili sauce at my disposal that I could have used instead, probably
should have (which certainly would have been easier) - but it wouldn't
have been a peanut butter sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/28/2014 8:19 AM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 21:40:58 +1000, JohnJohn >
> wrote:
>
>> I know, sorry for my messy quoting.
>>
>> --

> Which only goes to prove that you're not only an asshole, you're an
> idiot too.

Ipso facto!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 03:30:25 +1000, JohnJohn >
wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 07:19:19 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 21:40:58 +1000, JohnJohn >
>>wrote:
>>
>>> I know, sorry for my messy quoting.
>>>
>>> --

>>Which only goes to prove that you're not only an asshole, you're an
>>idiot too.

>Relax, short fuse.

No, she's just a ****.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/28/2014 2:34 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 03:30:25 +1000, JohnJohn >
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 07:19:19 -0700, sf > wrote:

>>> Which only goes to prove that you're not only an asshole, you're an
>>> idiot too.

>> Relax, short fuse.

> No, she's just a ****.

Looks like Botany Bay didn't screen for articulate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
>I prepared a big meal tonight at DD's house and hubby's numbers were
> excellent = 127!

I'm curious as to when he tested. One hour after the meal, two hours?

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 21:40:58 +1000, JohnJohn >
> wrote:
>
> > I know, sorry for my messy quoting.
> >
> > --

> Which only goes to prove that you're not only an asshole, you're an
> idiot too.

Whoa! Sounds like *somebody* is in a foul mood today. ;-O

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 14:16:33 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> >I prepared a big meal tonight at DD's house and hubby's numbers were
> > excellent = 127!

> I'm curious as to when he tested. One hour after the meal, two hours?
>
> Cheri

Why? Isn't it supposed to be done two hours after the beginning of a
meal?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 17:19:05 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>sf wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 21:40:58 +1000, JohnJohn >
>> wrote:
>>
>> > I know, sorry for my messy quoting.
>> >
>> > --

>> Which only goes to prove that you're not only an asshole, you're an
>> idiot too.

>Whoa! Sounds like *somebody* is in a foul mood today. ;-O

Today??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/28/2014 5:12 PM, JohnJohn wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 17:19:05 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>>> Which only goes to prove that you're not only an asshole, you're an
>>> idiot too.

>> Whoa! Sounds like *somebody* is in a foul mood today. ;-O

> I think she has mild Tourette syndrome.

Who, Shelly?

Or Bwyan?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/28/2014 5:48 PM, JohnJohn wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 17:41:58 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

>>> I think she has mild Tourette syndrome.
>>>

>> Who, Shelly?
>>
>> Or Bwyan?

> Short Fuse.

Lotsa short fuses, esp. the dwarf-sized one...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 14:16:33 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> >I prepared a big meal tonight at DD's house and hubby's numbers were
>> > excellent = 127!

>> I'm curious as to when he tested. One hour after the meal, two hours?
>>
>> Cheri

> Why? Isn't it supposed to be done two hours after the beginning of a
> meal?

Sure, different people test differently. I was just wondering when he
tested, since I usually get a spike if I'm going to at one hour. I was just
curious if he tested at one hour and then at two hours.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 19:09:02 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 14:16:33 -0700, "Cheri" >
> > wrote:

> >> I'm curious as to when he tested. One hour after the meal, two hours?
> >>
> >> Cheri

> > Why? Isn't it supposed to be done two hours after the beginning of a
> > meal?

> Sure, different people test differently. I was just wondering when he
> tested, since I usually get a spike if I'm going to at one hour. I was just
> curious if he tested at one hour and then at two hours.

Don't even normal people spike after eating a carb heavy meal and
isn't that why they say to test two hours afterward? He's not taking
pills or shots. It will never be a miracle cure. This is just him
trying to eat well enough to keep it under control.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 19:09:02 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > Why? Isn't it supposed to be done two hours after the beginning of a
>> > meal?

>> Sure, different people test differently. I was just wondering when he
>> tested, since I usually get a spike if I'm going to at one hour. I was
>> just
>> curious if he tested at one hour and then at two hours.
>>

> Don't even normal people spike after eating a carb heavy meal and
> isn't that why they say to test two hours afterward? He's not taking
> pills or shots. It will never be a miracle cure. This is just him
> trying to eat well enough to keep it under control.

I test after an hour because that's when I spike, I really don't test after
meals too much anymore unless I'm having something different or eating a
lot, because after all these years (diagnosed in 1997) I pretty much know
what I can and can't eat. I'm glad your dh is taking control. Keep it up!
:-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 21:18:03 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> I test after an hour because that's when I spike, I really don't test after
> meals too much anymore unless I'm having something different or eating a
> lot, because after all these years (diagnosed in 1997) I pretty much know
> what I can and can't eat. I'm glad your dh is taking control. Keep it up!
> :-)

Thanks, it has been less than a month so we're still on the learning
curve. Thai chili did him in. I need to make my chili with coconut
milk (diluted with chicken broth), chicken and sweet potatoes.
Curious to see if his reading will be high or not at two hours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 21:18:03 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>> I test after an hour because that's when I spike, I really don't test
>> after
>> meals too much anymore unless I'm having something different or eating a
>> lot, because after all these years (diagnosed in 1997) I pretty much know
>> what I can and can't eat. I'm glad your dh is taking control. Keep it up!
>> :-)

> Thanks, it has been less than a month so we're still on the learning
> curve. Thai chili did him in. I need to make my chili with coconut
> milk (diluted with chicken broth), chicken and sweet potatoes.
> Curious to see if his reading will be high or not at two hours.

Yes, that's all you can do is test different foods to see how he reacts.
Everyone is different and what spikes one might not be a problem for
another. It gets a lot easier after awhile, it really does, and it becomes
second nature to make good choices.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 21:57:56 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 21:18:03 -0700, "Cheri" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I test after an hour because that's when I spike, I really don't test
> >> after
> >> meals too much anymore unless I'm having something different or eating a
> >> lot, because after all these years (diagnosed in 1997) I pretty much know
> >> what I can and can't eat. I'm glad your dh is taking control. Keep it up!
> >> :-)

> > Thanks, it has been less than a month so we're still on the learning
> > curve. Thai chili did him in. I need to make my chili with coconut
> > milk (diluted with chicken broth), chicken and sweet potatoes.
> > Curious to see if his reading will be high or not at two hours.

> Yes, that's all you can do is test different foods to see how he reacts.
> Everyone is different and what spikes one might not be a problem for
> another. It gets a lot easier after awhile, it really does, and it becomes
> second nature to make good choices.

Thanks Cheri, I need encouragement for this. I like eating sensibly,
because he never has. He has always been thin, so it was his excuse
to load up on sugar, carbs and fat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 21:57:56 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > Thanks, it has been less than a month so we're still on the learning
>> > curve. Thai chili did him in. I need to make my chili with coconut
>> > milk (diluted with chicken broth), chicken and sweet potatoes.
>> > Curious to see if his reading will be high or not at two hours.

>> Yes, that's all you can do is test different foods to see how he reacts.
>> Everyone is different and what spikes one might not be a problem for
>> another. It gets a lot easier after awhile, it really does, and it
>> becomes
>> second nature to make good choices.
>>

> Thanks Cheri, I need encouragement for this. I like eating sensibly,
> because he never has. He has always been thin, so it was his excuse
> to load up on sugar, carbs and fat.

It does seem overwhelming at first, at least it did for me, but after awhile
you really find that you can have good tasty food and you really do lose a
lot of the cravings for the junk. The net is a wonderful resource for
recipes, substitutions etc. and especially information so you know that
you're not alone.

Cher

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/28/2014 9:26 AM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 07:30:40 -0500, Becca EmaNymton
> > wrote:
>
>> Sounds like a wonderful meal, I am sure everyone enjoyed it. The peanut
>> sauce might have needed more vinegar, because that did not sound like
>> much. I like to add a little sugar (Equal) and chili garlic paste to
>> mine. I like it hot and sweet, like me. ;-)

> I actually did add some chili paste to it. I tried not to make it too
> hot, I was feeding a 3 YO). My thought was to add more lime. Didn't
> consider sweet though, so thanks. I had a bottle of TJ's Thai sweet
> chili sauce at my disposal that I could have used instead, probably
> should have (which certainly would have been easier) - but it wouldn't
> have been a peanut butter sauce.

New recipes are always fun to try, but it is disappointing when they do
not turn out well. A few days ago I made apple turnovers and I tried a
new recipe. I noticed that she left out vanilla and salt, and I wondered
why I tried a new recipe, when I liked my own. :-/

Becca