FoodBanter.com

-   -   The 20th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/430469-20th-annual-schaller-ribbon.html)

Melba's Jammin' 22-08-2014 01:28 AM

The 20th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
LAST year!!

THIS was a good year! I am happy.

Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
opening today and continuing until Labor Day, I have 7 blue ribbons,
two second place, and three thirds. I will not receive the plaque for
being better at it than anyone else (there's a relative newcomer in
town who kicked a** with 11 first place ribbons) and I'm really happy
with 7 blues! W00t!

So, the blues were for
Blackberry Jelly
Cherry Jelly
Raspberry Jelly
Nectarine Jam
Strawberry Jam
Apricot Butter
Stewed Tomatoes

Second place for
Peach Jam
Watermelon Pickles

Third place for
Strawberry Jelly
Apricot Jam
Cherry Jam

AND the Mrs. Wages (preserving products) Blue Ribbon Award for Best in
Show for Jellies and Jams.

Life has been hard on me the last year -- sibling deaths, good friend
death, declining health of my brother, etc. But, hey, I Am Woman!
Hear me roar! ;-)

Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

George Shirley[_3_] 22-08-2014 02:17 AM

On 8/21/2014 7:28 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
[...]

You go Girl! Glad to hear from you again and that you're still taking
names and kicking butt.

I've done a little preserving this year but not nearly as much as when
we had the much larger garden and mature fruit trees. Let us hear from
you more often.

George

Oregonian Haruspex 22-08-2014 02:40 AM

--

That's awesome. My late grandmother took quite a few prizes at the
Minnesota State Fair for her pies and jams, as well as her kolaches.

I have her recipe for kolaches but they never quite turn out as well somehow.

Ed Pawlowski 22-08-2014 02:58 AM

On 8/21/2014 8:28 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
LAST year!!

THIS was a good year! I am happy.

Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
opening today and continuing until Labor Day, I have 7 blue ribbons, two
second place, and three thirds. I will not receive the plaque for being
better at it than anyone else (there's a relative newcomer in town who
kicked a** with 11 first place ribbons) and I'm really happy with 7
blues! W00t!

We'll get Tanya Harding to fix that situation for you next year.
Meantime, congrats on a great showing.

Life has been hard on me the last year -- sibling deaths, good friend
death, declining health of my brother, etc. But, hey, I Am Woman! Hear
me roar! ;-)

Sorry to hear that. Hope it gets better soon.

koko 22-08-2014 05:25 AM

The 20th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 19:28:47 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
wrote:

[...]

You ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

koko

pure kona[_2_] 22-08-2014 05:37 AM

wrote:

[...]

Congratulations Barb!!! Yes, you are woman!

I am impressed - and I could not even make One of the things YOU won
PRIZES for!

Sleep well:)

aloha,
Cea

Melba's Jammin' 22-08-2014 12:02 PM

On 2014-08-22 01:17:11 +0000, George Shirley said:

On 8/21/2014 7:28 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
LAST year!!

THIS was a good year! I am happy.

sni[p

AND the Mrs. Wages (preserving products) Blue Ribbon Award for Best in
Show for Jellies and Jams.

You go Girl! Glad to hear from you again and that you're still taking
names and kicking butt.

I've done a little preserving this year but not nearly as much as when
we had the much larger garden and mature fruit trees. Let us hear from
you more often.

George

I see you're still kicking, too, you old goat. I'm back because I
finally paid for Unison (my reader). LOL! I just kept putting it off.
I've also been wasting too much time at Facebook. I prefer Usenet for
actually learning something, though.

Melba's Jammin' 22-08-2014 12:07 PM

On 2014-08-22 01:58:20 +0000, Ed Pawlowski said:

On 8/21/2014 8:28 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
LAST year!!

THIS was a good year! I am happy.

Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
opening today and continuing until Labor Day, I have 7 blue ribbons, two
second place, and three thirds. I will not receive the plaque for being
better at it than anyone else (there's a relative newcomer in town who
kicked a** with 11 first place ribbons) and I'm really happy with 7
blues! W00t!

We'll get Tanya Harding to fix that situation for you next year.
Meantime, congrats on a great showing.

I knew I could count on you, Ed! Thanks.

Life has been hard on me the last year -- sibling deaths, good friend
death, declining health of my brother, etc. But, hey, I Am Woman! Hear
me roar! ;-)

Sorry to hear that. Hope it gets better soon.

There's the rub. Re the brother I monitor, he's on a one-way path
(psp.org, read it and weep. AFA my siblings dying, that's only going
to increase. Because we aren't a close-knit family and because most
are considerably older than I, and I've always expected to bury all 12
of them, I didn't think it would be as hard emotionally as it is
proving to be. It's a damn good thing I don't believe in divine
retribution otherwise I'd be totally screwed.

Melba's Jammin' 22-08-2014 12:13 PM

On 2014-08-22 00:28:47 +0000, Melba's Jammin said:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
LAST year!!

THIS was a good year! I am happy.

Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
opening today and continuing

That's awesome. My late grandmother took quite a few prizes at the
Minnesota State Fair for her pies and jams, as well as her kolaches.

I have her recipe for kolaches but they never quite turn out as well somehow.

Hi, Bob -- what is your late grandmother's name? And did she come by
that interest in kolachky honestly? Slovak or Czech? :-) My People
are from NE Slovakia. AND, you should come visit the Minnesota State
Fair soon. It is the 12 best days of summer, donchaknow.

Nancy Young[_7_] 22-08-2014 02:05 PM

[...]

I look forward to the ribbon report every year, but I'm very
sorry to hear about your rough times.

nancy

Kalmia 22-08-2014 02:35 PM

On Thursday, August 21, 2014 8:28:47 PM UTC-4, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
[...]

With the bad, often comes some good. Congrats. Keep jammin'.

Melba's Jammin' 22-08-2014 03:11 PM

On 2014-08-22 13:35:48 +0000, Kalmia said:

On Thursday, August 21, 2014 8:28:47 PM UTC-4, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was

LAST year!!

- snip -

Life has been hard on me the last year -- sibling deaths, good friend

death, declining health of my brother, etc. But, hey, I Am Woman!

Hear me roar! ;-)

With the bad, often comes some good. Congrats. Keep jammin'.

You are correct, Kalmia. In spades. If I still have your email
address, I may expand on that some.

Ed Pawlowski 22-08-2014 04:37 PM

On 8/22/2014 7:07 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

There's the rub. Re the brother I monitor, he's on a one-way path
(psp.org, read it and weep.

I did read it. Very sad.