Posted to rec.food.cooking, rec.food.preserving

Default The 20th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
LAST year!!

THIS was a good year! I am happy.

Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
opening today and continuing until Labor Day, I have 7 blue ribbons,
two second place, and three thirds. I will not receive the plaque for
being better at it than anyone else (there's a relative newcomer in
town who kicked a** with 11 first place ribbons) and I'm really happy
with 7 blues! W00t!

So, the blues were for
Blackberry Jelly
Cherry Jelly
Raspberry Jelly
Nectarine Jam
Strawberry Jam
Apricot Butter
Stewed Tomatoes

Second place for
Peach Jam
Watermelon Pickles

Third place for
Strawberry Jelly
Apricot Jam
Cherry Jam

AND the Mrs. Wages (preserving products) Blue Ribbon Award for Best in
Show for Jellies and Jams.

Life has been hard on me the last year -- sibling deaths, good friend
death, declining health of my brother, etc. But, hey, I Am Woman!
Hear me roar! ;-)

Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

On 8/21/2014 7:28 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
> LAST year!!
>
> THIS was a good year! I am happy.
>
> Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
> opening today and continuing until Labor Day, I have 7 blue ribbons, two
> second place, and three thirds. I will not receive the plaque for being
> better at it than anyone else (there's a relative newcomer in town who
> kicked a** with 11 first place ribbons) and I'm really happy with 7
> blues! W00t!
>
> So, the blues were for
> Blackberry Jelly
> Cherry Jelly
> Raspberry Jelly
> Nectarine Jam
> Strawberry Jam
> Apricot Butter
> Stewed Tomatoes
>
> Second place for
> Peach Jam
> Watermelon Pickles
>

> Third place for
> Strawberry Jelly
> Apricot Jam
> Cherry Jam
>
> AND the Mrs. Wages (preserving products) Blue Ribbon Award for Best in
> Show for Jellies and Jams.
>
> Life has been hard on me the last year -- sibling deaths, good friend
> death, declining health of my brother, etc. But, hey, I Am Woman! Hear
> me roar! ;-)

You go Girl! Glad to hear from you again and that you're still taking
names and kicking butt.

I've done a little preserving this year but not nearly as much as when
we had the much larger garden and mature fruit trees. Let us hear from
you more often.

George
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-08-22 00:28:47 +0000, Melba's Jammin said:

> It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
> LAST year!!
>
> THIS was a good year! I am happy.
>
> Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
> opening today and continuing until Labor Day, I have 7 blue ribbons,
> two second place, and three thirds. I will not receive the plaque for
> being better at it than anyone else (there's a relative newcomer in
> town who kicked a** with 11 first place ribbons) and I'm really happy
> with 7 blues! W00t!
>
> So, the blues were for
> Blackberry Jelly
> Cherry Jelly
> Raspberry Jelly
> Nectarine Jam
> Strawberry Jam
> Apricot Butter
> Stewed Tomatoes
>
> Second place for
> Peach Jam
> Watermelon Pickles
>

> Third place for
> Strawberry Jelly
> Apricot Jam
> Cherry Jam
>
> AND the Mrs. Wages (preserving products) Blue Ribbon Award for Best in
> Show for Jellies and Jams.
>
> Life has been hard on me the last year -- sibling deaths, good friend
> death, declining health of my brother, etc. But, hey, I Am Woman!
> Hear me roar! ;-)
>
> --

That's awesome. My late grandmother took quite a few prizes at the
Minnesota State Fair for her pies and jams, as well as her kolaches.

I have her recipe for kolaches but they never quite turn out as well somehow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

On 8/21/2014 8:28 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
> LAST year!!
>
> THIS was a good year! I am happy.
>
> Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
> opening today and continuing until Labor Day, I have 7 blue ribbons, two
> second place, and three thirds. I will not receive the plaque for being
> better at it than anyone else (there's a relative newcomer in town who
> kicked a** with 11 first place ribbons) and I'm really happy with 7
> blues! W00t!

We'll get Tanya Harding to fix that situation for you next year.
Meantime, congrats on a great showing.

> Life has been hard on me the last year -- sibling deaths, good friend
> death, declining health of my brother, etc. But, hey, I Am Woman! Hear
> me roar! ;-)

Sorry to hear that. Hope it gets better soon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 19:28:47 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
>LAST year!!
>
>THIS was a good year! I am happy.
>
>Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
>opening today and continuing until Labor Day, I have 7 blue ribbons,
>two second place, and three thirds. I will not receive the plaque for
>being better at it than anyone else (there's a relative newcomer in
>town who kicked a** with 11 first place ribbons) and I'm really happy
>with 7 blues! W00t!
>
>So, the blues were for
>Blackberry Jelly
>Cherry Jelly
>Raspberry Jelly
>Nectarine Jam
>Strawberry Jam
>Apricot Butter
>Stewed Tomatoes
>
>Second place for
>Peach Jam
>Watermelon Pickles
>

>Third place for
>Strawberry Jelly
>Apricot Jam
>Cherry Jam
>
>AND the Mrs. Wages (preserving products) Blue Ribbon Award for Best in
>Show for Jellies and Jams.
>
>Life has been hard on me the last year -- sibling deaths, good friend
>death, declining health of my brother, etc. But, hey, I Am Woman!
>Hear me roar! ;-)
>
>--

You ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

koko

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 19:28:47 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
>LAST year!!
>
>THIS was a good year! I am happy.
>
>Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
>opening today and continuing until Labor Day, I have 7 blue ribbons,
>two second place, and three thirds. I will not receive the plaque for
>being better at it than anyone else (there's a relative newcomer in
>town who kicked a** with 11 first place ribbons) and I'm really happy
>with 7 blues! W00t!
>
>So, the blues were for
>Blackberry Jelly
>Cherry Jelly
>Raspberry Jelly
>Nectarine Jam
>Strawberry Jam
>Apricot Butter
>Stewed Tomatoes
>
>Second place for
>Peach Jam
>Watermelon Pickles
>

>Third place for
>Strawberry Jelly
>Apricot Jam
>Cherry Jam
>
>AND the Mrs. Wages (preserving products) Blue Ribbon Award for Best in
>Show for Jellies and Jams.
>
>Life has been hard on me the last year -- sibling deaths, good friend
>death, declining health of my brother, etc. But, hey, I Am Woman!
>Hear me roar! ;-)
>
>--

Congratulations Barb!!! Yes, you are woman!

I am impressed - and I could not even make One of the things YOU won
PRIZES for!

Sleep well

aloha,
Cea
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-08-22 01:17:11 +0000, George Shirley said:

> On 8/21/2014 7:28 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
>> LAST year!!
>>
>> THIS was a good year! I am happy.

sni[p

>> AND the Mrs. Wages (preserving products) Blue Ribbon Award for Best in
>> Show for Jellies and Jams.

> You go Girl! Glad to hear from you again and that you're still taking
> names and kicking butt.
>
> I've done a little preserving this year but not nearly as much as when
> we had the much larger garden and mature fruit trees. Let us hear from
> you more often.
>
> George

I see you're still kicking, too, you old goat. I'm back because I
finally paid for Unison (my reader). LOL! I just kept putting it off.
I've also been wasting too much time at Facebook. I prefer Usenet for
actually learning something, though.
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-08-22 01:58:20 +0000, Ed Pawlowski said:

> On 8/21/2014 8:28 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
>> LAST year!!
>>
>> THIS was a good year! I am happy.
>>
>> Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
>> opening today and continuing until Labor Day, I have 7 blue ribbons, two
>> second place, and three thirds. I will not receive the plaque for being
>> better at it than anyone else (there's a relative newcomer in town who
>> kicked a** with 11 first place ribbons) and I'm really happy with 7
>> blues! W00t!

> We'll get Tanya Harding to fix that situation for you next year.
> Meantime, congrats on a great showing.

I knew I could count on you, Ed! Thanks.

>> Life has been hard on me the last year -- sibling deaths, good friend
>> death, declining health of my brother, etc. But, hey, I Am Woman! Hear
>> me roar! ;-)
>>

> Sorry to hear that. Hope it gets better soon.

There's the rub. Re the brother I monitor, he's on a one-way path
(psp.org, read it and weep. AFA my siblings dying, that's only going
to increase. Because we aren't a close-knit family and because most
are considerably older than I, and I've always expected to bury all 12
of them, I didn't think it would be as hard emotionally as it is
proving to be. It's a damn good thing I don't believe in divine
retribution otherwise I'd be totally screwed.

--
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-08-22 04:25:42 +0000, koko said:

> On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 19:28:47 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>> It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
>> LAST year!!
>> --

> You ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> koko

Thanks, Koko.
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-08-22 01:40:06 +0000, Oregonian Haruspex said:

> On 2014-08-22 00:28:47 +0000, Melba's Jammin said:
>
>> It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
>> LAST year!!
>>
>> THIS was a good year! I am happy.
>>
>> Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
>> opening today and continuing

> That's awesome. My late grandmother took quite a few prizes at the
> Minnesota State Fair for her pies and jams, as well as her kolaches.
>
> I have her recipe for kolaches but they never quite turn out as well somehow.

Hi, Bob -- what is your late grandmother's name? And did she come by
that interest in kolachky honestly? Slovak or Czech? :-) My People
are from NE Slovakia. AND, you should come visit the Minnesota State
Fair soon. It is the 12 best days of summer, donchaknow.
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

On 8/21/2014 7:28 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
> LAST year!!
>
> THIS was a good year! I am happy.
>
> Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
> opening today and continuing until Labor Day, I have 7 blue ribbons, two
> second place, and three thirds. I will not receive the plaque for being
> better at it than anyone else (there's a relative newcomer in town who
> kicked a** with 11 first place ribbons) and I'm really happy with 7
> blues! W00t!
>
> So, the blues were for
> Blackberry Jelly
> Cherry Jelly
> Raspberry Jelly
> Nectarine Jam
> Strawberry Jam
> Apricot Butter
> Stewed Tomatoes
>
> Second place for
> Peach Jam
> Watermelon Pickles
>

> Third place for
> Strawberry Jelly
> Apricot Jam
> Cherry Jam
>
> AND the Mrs. Wages (preserving products) Blue Ribbon Award for Best in
> Show for Jellies and Jams.
>
> Life has been hard on me the last year -- sibling deaths, good friend
> death, declining health of my brother, etc. But, hey, I Am Woman! Hear
> me roar! ;-)

Congratulations, Barb!

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

On 8/21/2014 8:28 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
> LAST year!!
>
> THIS was a good year! I am happy.
>
> Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
> opening today and continuing until Labor Day, I have 7 blue ribbons, two
> second place, and three thirds. I will not receive the plaque for being
> better at it than anyone else (there's a relative newcomer in town who
> kicked a** with 11 first place ribbons) and I'm really happy with 7
> blues! W00t!
>
> So, the blues were for
> Blackberry Jelly
> Cherry Jelly
> Raspberry Jelly
> Nectarine Jam
> Strawberry Jam
> Apricot Butter
> Stewed Tomatoes
>
> Second place for
> Peach Jam
> Watermelon Pickles
>

> Third place for
> Strawberry Jelly
> Apricot Jam
> Cherry Jam
>
> AND the Mrs. Wages (preserving products) Blue Ribbon Award for Best in
> Show for Jellies and Jams.
>
> Life has been hard on me the last year -- sibling deaths, good friend
> death, declining health of my brother, etc. But, hey, I Am Woman! Hear
> me roar! ;-)

I look forward to the ribbon report every year, but I'm very
sorry to hear about your rough times.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 21, 2014 8:28:47 PM UTC-4, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
>
> LAST year!!
>

> THIS was a good year! I am happy.
>

> Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
>
> opening today and continuing until Labor Day, I have 7 blue ribbons,
>
> two second place, and three thirds. I will not receive the plaque for
>
> being better at it than anyone else (there's a relative newcomer in
>
> town who kicked a** with 11 first place ribbons) and I'm really happy
>
> with 7 blues! W00t!
>

> So, the blues were for
>
> Blackberry Jelly
>
> Cherry Jelly
>
> Raspberry Jelly
>
> Nectarine Jam
>
> Strawberry Jam
>
> Apricot Butter
>
> Stewed Tomatoes
>

> Second place for
>
> Peach Jam
>
> Watermelon Pickles
>

> Third place for
>
> Strawberry Jelly
>
> Apricot Jam
>
> Cherry Jam
>

> AND the Mrs. Wages (preserving products) Blue Ribbon Award for Best in
>
> Show for Jellies and Jams.
>

> Life has been hard on me the last year -- sibling deaths, good friend
>
> death, declining health of my brother, etc. But, hey, I Am Woman!
>
> Hear me roar! ;-)

With the bad, often comes some good. Congrats. Keep jammin'.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-08-22 13:35:48 +0000, Kalmia said:

> On Thursday, August 21, 2014 8:28:47 PM UTC-4, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
>>
>> LAST year!!

- snip -

>> Life has been hard on me the last year -- sibling deaths, good friend
>>
>> death, declining health of my brother, etc. But, hey, I Am Woman!
>>
>> Hear me roar! ;-)

> With the bad, often comes some good. Congrats. Keep jammin'.

You are correct, Kalmia. In spades. If I still have your email
address, I may expand on that some.

Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/22/2014 7:07 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> There's the rub. Re the brother I monitor, he's on a one-way path
> (psp.org, read it and weep.

I did read it. Very sad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
> opening today and continuing until Labor Day, I have 7 blue ribbons,
> two second place, and three thirds. I will not receive the plaque for
> being better at it than anyone else (there's a relative newcomer in
> town who kicked a** with 11 first place ribbons) and I'm really happy
> with 7 blues! W00t!

So, still no Barb's Beety Beauty? No wonder you ended up with a
miserable failure yet again!

Bubba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-08-22 11:13:53 +0000, Melba's Jammin said:

> On 2014-08-22 01:40:06 +0000, Oregonian Haruspex said:
>
>> On 2014-08-22 00:28:47 +0000, Melba's Jammin said:
>>
>>> It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
>>> LAST year!!
>>>
>>> THIS was a good year! I am happy.
>>>
>>> Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
>>> opening today and continuing

>> That's awesome. My late grandmother took quite a few prizes at the
>> Minnesota State Fair for her pies and jams, as well as her kolaches.
>>
>> I have her recipe for kolaches but they never quite turn out as well somehow.

> Hi, Bob -- what is your late grandmother's name? And did she come by
> that interest in kolachky honestly? Slovak or Czech? :-) My People
> are from NE Slovakia. AND, you should come visit the Minnesota State
> Fair soon. It is the 12 best days of summer, donchaknow.
> --

She was Czech - her clan came to Cedar Rapids about the turn of the
century. I prefer not to name her in order to preserve what precious
little anonymity I have on the Internet (Bob Davis is *NOT* my real
name), but she passed on over thirty years ago.

I haven't been to the Fair in ages. Even though I know there's a lot
going on there, I was really bummed out when they dumped Machinery
Hill! I make my way back about once a year, sometimes every other
year. One of these times I'm sure I'll go back to The Fair!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Thursday, August 21, 2014 5:28:47 PM UTC-7, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
>
> LAST year!!
>

> THIS was a good year! I am happy.
>

> Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
>
> opening today and continuing until Labor Day, I have 7 blue ribbons,
>
> two second place, and three thirds. I will not receive the plaque for
>
> being better at it than anyone else (there's a relative newcomer in
>
> town who kicked a** with 11 first place ribbons) and I'm really happy
>
> with 7 blues! W00t!
>

> So, the blues were for
>
> Blackberry Jelly
>
> Cherry Jelly
>
> Raspberry Jelly
>
> Nectarine Jam
>
> Strawberry Jam
>
> Apricot Butter
>
> Stewed Tomatoes
>

> Second place for
>
> Peach Jam
>
> Watermelon Pickles
>

> Third place for
>
> Strawberry Jelly
>
> Apricot Jam
>
> Cherry Jam
>

> AND the Mrs. Wages (preserving products) Blue Ribbon Award for Best in
>
> Show for Jellies and Jams.
>

> Life has been hard on me the last year -- sibling deaths, good friend
>
> death, declining health of my brother, etc. But, hey, I Am Woman!
>
> Hear me roar! ;-)

Yay Barb !!!!
I look forward to the day when I can take the time and enjoy canning and preserving again. I'm envious of your talent. Good on ya.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-08-22 22:50:05 +0000, Oregonian Haruspex said:

> She was Czech - her clan came to Cedar Rapids about the turn of the
> century. I prefer not to name her in order to preserve what precious
> little anonymity I have on the Internet (Bob Davis is *NOT* my real
> name), but she passed on over thirty years ago.
>
> I haven't been to the Fair in ages. Even though I know there's a lot
> going on there, I was really bummed out when they dumped Machinery
> Hill! I make my way back about once a year, sometimes every other
> year. One of these times I'm sure I'll go back to The Fair!

"Fair" enough. :-)
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-08-22 21:58:28 +0000, Victor Sack said:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
>> opening today and continuing until Labor Day, I have 7 blue ribbons,
>> two second place, and three thirds. I will not receive the plaque for
>> being better at it than anyone else (there's a relative newcomer in
>> town who kicked a** with 11 first place ribbons) and I'm really happy
>> with 7 blues! W00t!

> So, still no Barb's Beety Beauty? No wonder you ended up with a
> miserable failure yet again!
>
> Bubba

Bubba Vic, it has Kool-Aid in it, for the love of God! I wonder if
they would allow it!
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-08-22 22:56:40 +0000, ImStillMags said:

> On Thursday, August 21, 2014 5:28:47 PM UTC-7, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
>>
>> LAST year!!
>>

>> THIS was a good year! I am happy.
>>

> Yay Barb !!!!
> I look forward to the day when I can take the time and enjoy canning
> and preserving again. I'm envious of your talent. Good on ya.

Thanks, Sitara.
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Victor Sack said:
>
> > So, still no Barb's Beety Beauty? No wonder you ended up with a
> > miserable failure yet again!

> Bubba Vic, it has Kool-Aid in it, for the love of God! I wonder if
> they would allow it!

The result matters, for the love of God! Kool-Aid is as cool as
anything and contributes to the end result, the heavenly Barb's Beety
Beauty - the Jelly of the Stars!

Bubba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 21, 2014 8:28:47 PM UTC-4, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
>
> LAST year!!
>

> THIS was a good year! I am happy.
>

> Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
>
> opening today and continuing until Labor Day, I have 7 blue ribbons,
>
> two second place, and three thirds. I will not receive the plaque for
>
> being better at it than anyone else (there's a relative newcomer in
>
> town who kicked a** with 11 first place ribbons) and I'm really happy
>
> with 7 blues! W00t!
>

> So, the blues were for
>
> Blackberry Jelly
>
> Cherry Jelly
>
> Raspberry Jelly
>
> Nectarine Jam
>
> Strawberry Jam
>
> Apricot Butter
>
> Stewed Tomatoes
>

> Second place for
>
> Peach Jam
>
> Watermelon Pickles
>

> Third place for
>
> Strawberry Jelly
>
> Apricot Jam
>
> Cherry Jam
>

> AND the Mrs. Wages (preserving products) Blue Ribbon Award for Best in
>
> Show for Jellies and Jams.
>

> Life has been hard on me the last year -- sibling deaths, good friend
>
> death, declining health of my brother, etc. But, hey, I Am Woman!
>
> Hear me roar! ;-)

> Barb
>
> www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Barb, congrats on the ribbons! I've missed reading your posts since I've been away these last couple of years.
Kate
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 19:28:47 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
>LAST year!!
>
>THIS was a good year! I am happy.
>
>Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
>opening today and continuing until Labor Day, I have 7 blue ribbons,
>two second place, and three thirds. I will not receive the plaque for
>being better at it than anyone else (there's a relative newcomer in
>town who kicked a** with 11 first place ribbons) and I'm really happy
>with 7 blues! W00t!
>
>So, the blues were for
>Blackberry Jelly
>Cherry Jelly
>Raspberry Jelly
>Nectarine Jam
>Strawberry Jam
>Apricot Butter
>Stewed Tomatoes
>
>Second place for
>Peach Jam
>Watermelon Pickles
>

>Third place for
>Strawberry Jelly
>Apricot Jam
>Cherry Jam
>
>AND the Mrs. Wages (preserving products) Blue Ribbon Award for Best in
>Show for Jellies and Jams.
>
>Life has been hard on me the last year -- sibling deaths, good friend
>death, declining health of my brother, etc. But, hey, I Am Woman!
>Hear me roar! ;-)
>
>--

Rather late congratulations, Barb but, way to go, again!
Here it is, evening of Aug. 26/14 and I'm just getting around to
reading your report posted Aug. 21/14.
The last year had been a bit tough for me as well. Somewhat like
yours, a couple of good friends passed on but, the hardest was cancer
taking my baby brother. He was only 74 and in just a few more weeks
I'll be 80 so it really should have been me.
Not doing much preserving this year so far, terrible weather has made
the garden bounty rather sparse.
Gerry and I did manage to build a nice 10'x10' garden shed and did the
whole thing ourselves except for shingling the roof, one of the kids
did that.
Hottest day so far this year was today, 88ºF with humidity making it
feel like 106ºF. Predictions are for tomorrow to be about 70ºF.
Anyway, it's good to see your name on some posts again.
Keep on jammin'.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-08-25 21:10:47 +0000, Kate Connally said:

> Barb, congrats on the ribbons! I've missed reading your posts since
> I've been away these last couple of years.
> Kate

Thanks, Kate. I've been away, too.

Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-08-27 00:38:38 +0000, Ross@home said:

> On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 19:28:47 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>> It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
>> LAST year!!
>>
>> THIS was a good year! I am happy.
>> (snip)
>> Life has been hard on me the last year -- sibling deaths, good friend
>> death, declining health of my brother, etc. But, hey, I Am Woman!
>> Hear me roar! ;-)
>>
>> --

> Rather late congratulations, Barb but, way to go, again!
> Here it is, evening of Aug. 26/14 and I'm just getting around to
> reading your report posted Aug. 21/14.
> The last year had been a bit tough for me as well. Somewhat like
> yours, a couple of good friends passed on but, the hardest was cancer
> taking my baby brother. He was only 74 and in just a few more weeks
> I'll be 80 so it really should have been me.
> Not doing much preserving this year so far, terrible weather has made
> the garden bounty rather sparse.
> Gerry and I did manage to build a nice 10'x10' garden shed and did the
> whole thing ourselves except for shingling the roof, one of the kids
> did that.
> Hottest day so far this year was today, 88ºF with humidity making it
> feel like 106ºF. Predictions are for tomorrow to be about 70ºF.
> Anyway, it's good to see your name on some posts again.
> Keep on jammin'.
>
> Ross.
> Southern Ontario, Canada

Thanks, Ross. No worries about late congratulations; I'm happy to hear
from you. I did three canning talks at the state fair today€”the first
was taped for a documentary that our local PBS station is making about
the Great Minnesota Get-Together. Lots of fun, interested audiences,
and I rocked them all. I'm not much of a gardener on a good day and my
few plans sucked rope this year. Feh! I'm still waiting to buy
reasonably priced tomatoes for juice, sauce, and stewed-type. And I'm
looking at a case of Colorado peaches that are about ready to work with
and IBePooped!! It was a long day!

Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/22/2014 9:05 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

> On 8/21/2014 8:28 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
>> LAST year!!
>>
>> THIS was a good year! I am happy.
>>
>> Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
>> opening today and continuing until Labor Day, I have 7 blue ribbons, two
>> second place, and three thirds. I will not receive the plaque for being
>> better at it than anyone else (there's a relative newcomer in town who
>> kicked a** with 11 first place ribbons) and I'm really happy with 7
>> blues! W00t!
>>
>> So, the blues were for
>> Blackberry Jelly
>> Cherry Jelly
>> Raspberry Jelly
>> Nectarine Jam
>> Strawberry Jam
>> Apricot Butter
>> Stewed Tomatoes
>>
>> Second place for
>> Peach Jam
>> Watermelon Pickles
>>

>> Third place for
>> Strawberry Jelly
>> Apricot Jam
>> Cherry Jam
>>
>> AND the Mrs. Wages (preserving products) Blue Ribbon Award for Best in
>> Show for Jellies and Jams.
>>
>> Life has been hard on me the last year -- sibling deaths, good friend
>> death, declining health of my brother, etc. But, hey, I Am Woman! Hear
>> me roar! ;-)

> I look forward to the ribbon report every year, but I'm very
> sorry to hear about your rough times.
>
> nancy

I echo Nancy, though a bit late.

--