Old 17-08-2014, 09:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Froze some basil.

I have a big pot of basil on the deck. I've already cut it back once and made a big batch of pesto and froze some and still have a bit in the fridge.

Yesterday I cut it back again because it was huge and starting to go to flower. I cut it back pretty far but it will still put out again.. So I decided to do the ice cube tray thing.

I did two batches, one with just water and one with olive oil.
Sometimes you don't necessarily want basil with olive oil in a dish, drink or soup so I decided to do both kinds.

I put the leaves in the cuisinart and pulsed them with water and did one tray of cubes.
Then I put the rest of the leaves in the cuisinart and pulsed them with olive oil and did one tray of cubes.

Just a few minutes ago I took them out of the freezer and popped them out of their trays and double bagged each batch to have available for future use.

Boy, that aroma. Nothing like fresh basil. I keep saying they should make a perfume.

Old 17-08-2014, 11:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Aug 2014 13:03:31 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
wrote:

[...]

Does the olive oil actually freeze? I must try this!

Doris
Old 17-08-2014, 11:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

[...]

Yep. It freezes solid. It will melt quickly though, so you must keep them solidly frozen till use.

Old 18-08-2014, 12:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

I think that the aroma is one of the reasons that I grow herbs. I
love trailing my hands over herbs and catch the scent that is
released.
Janet US
Old 18-08-2014, 01:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sunday, August 17, 2014 4:04:52 PM UTC-7, Janet Bostwick wrote:

I think that the aroma is one of the reasons that I grow herbs. I

love trailing my hands over herbs and catch the scent that is

released.

Janet US

I love the scent of herbs. Far back in history people put herbs in the straw on the dirt floors to make their hovels smell better.

Old 18-08-2014, 01:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Aug 2014 17:19:48 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
wrote:

On Sunday, August 17, 2014 4:04:52 PM UTC-7, Janet Bostwick wrote:

I think that the aroma is one of the reasons that I grow herbs. I

love trailing my hands over herbs and catch the scent that is

released.

Janet US

I love the scent of herbs. Far back in history people put herbs in the straw on the dirt floors to make their hovels smell better.

It didn't hurt in the bedding straw either
Janet US
Old 18-08-2014, 02:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Sunday, August 17, 2014 4:04:52 PM UTC-7, Janet Bostwick wrote:

I think that the aroma is one of the reasons that I grow herbs. I

love trailing my hands over herbs and catch the scent that is

released.

Janet US

I love the scent of herbs. Far back in history people put herbs in the straw on the dirt floors to make their hovels smell better.

It didn't hurt in the bedding straw either
Janet US

I don't sleep on straw, but a little lavender water spritzed on your
pillow makes for a good night's sleep.

Jill
Old 18-08-2014, 02:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Sunday, August 17, 2014 4:04:52 PM UTC-7, Janet Bostwick wrote:

I think that the aroma is one of the reasons that I grow herbs. I

love trailing my hands over herbs and catch the scent that is

released.

Janet US

I love the scent of herbs. Far back in history people put herbs in the straw on the dirt floors to make their hovels smell better.

I have a curry plant in my patio, it drives me crazy it smells so
good.

koko
Old 18-08-2014, 03:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Sunday, August 17, 2014 4:04:52 PM UTC-7, Janet Bostwick wrote:

I think that the aroma is one of the reasons that I grow herbs. I

love trailing my hands over herbs and catch the scent that is

released.

Janet US

I love the scent of herbs. Far back in history people put herbs in the straw on the dirt floors to make their hovels smell better.

It didn't hurt in the bedding straw either
Janet US

I don't sleep on straw, but a little lavender water spritzed on your
pillow makes for a good night's sleep.

Jill

I'll have to try that. Each year I have a scented geranium and some
lavender planted where the dog can reach them. The dogs always seem
to enjoy putting on 'cologne.'
Janet US
Old 18-08-2014, 03:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

I don't sleep on straw, but a little lavender water spritzed on your
pillow makes for a good night's sleep.

You actually spritz lavender water on your pillow? ;-D
I wash my laundry using a tiny bit of plain bleach and All unscented
laundry soap. I don't want any other smell on my pillow.

G.

Old 18-08-2014, 03:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/18/2014 10:16 AM, Gary wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

I don't sleep on straw, but a little lavender water spritzed on your
pillow makes for a good night's sleep.

You actually spritz lavender water on your pillow? ;-D
I wash my laundry using a tiny bit of plain bleach and All unscented
laundry soap. I don't want any other smell on my pillow.

G.

Lavender is very relaxing. Occasionally I soak in a tub with lavender
bath salts, too.

Jill
Old 18-08-2014, 03:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

I don't sleep on straw, but a little lavender water spritzed on your
pillow makes for a good night's sleep.

You actually spritz lavender water on your pillow? ;-D
I wash my laundry using a tiny bit of plain bleach and All unscented
laundry soap. I don't want any other smell on my pillow.

G.

Lavender is very relaxing. Occasionally I soak in a tub with lavender
bath salts, too.

Jill

I love scented things in the garden. I see no point in growing roses
without a lovely scent.
Janet US
Old 18-08-2014, 03:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

I don't sleep on straw, but a little lavender water spritzed on your
pillow makes for a good night's sleep.

You actually spritz lavender water on your pillow? ;-D
I wash my laundry using a tiny bit of plain bleach and All unscented
laundry soap. I don't want any other smell on my pillow.

G.

Lavender is very relaxing. Occasionally I soak in a tub with lavender
bath salts, too.

Jill

I love scented things in the garden. I see no point in growing roses
without a lovely scent.
Janet US

When we moved to west TN (I was a teenager) my mother planted some
lovely peach roses. They had the most delicious scent!

You know all that hooey about long-stemmed red roses being so
romantic... Bah! They have no scent! They aren't even that pretty.

Jill
Old 18-08-2014, 04:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I don't sleep on straw, but a little lavender water spritzed on your
pillow makes for a good night's sleep.

That wouldn't work for me because I HATE the stink of lavender.

Old 18-08-2014, 04:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 08:22:34 -0600, Janet Bostwick
wrote:

I see no point in growing roses without a lovely scent.

It used to be that commercial cut roses didn't have any smell, but
I've noticed that even the roses sold at the grocery store these days
have enough scent to make a room smell very nice.