Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Faux tetrazzini

I would love to make this but since I can't have dairy, it will have to be
an approximation. I have some stuff that I am trying to use up including
whole wheat linguine and boxed mushroom gravy. I will add some onion,
probably a little celery, a few fresh mushrooms, turkey breast, peas and
some black pepper and parsley. If it seems too dry, I have some boxed
turkey broth to add.

I hope it is good. I miss stuff like tetrazzini, A La King and chicken or
tuna casserole. Alas I can't have chicken or tuna so it will have to be
turkey. Will probably attempt to do this on top of the stove as I don't
want to fire up the oven. I had to self clean it yet again after last
night's baking. Not sure what slopped over the sides but it was kind of
buttery and sticky enough that trying to wipe it with a wet paper towel
didn't do much at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 02:19:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I would love to make this but since I can't have dairy, it will have to be
>an approximation. I have some stuff that I am trying to use up including
>whole wheat linguine and boxed mushroom gravy. I will add some onion,
>probably a little celery, a few fresh mushrooms, turkey breast, peas and
>some black pepper and parsley. If it seems too dry, I have some boxed
>turkey broth to add.
>
>I hope it is good. I miss stuff like tetrazzini, A La King and chicken or
>tuna casserole. Alas I can't have chicken or tuna so it will have to be
>turkey. Will probably attempt to do this on top of the stove as I don't
>want to fire up the oven. I had to self clean it yet again after last
>night's baking. Not sure what slopped over the sides but it was kind of
>buttery and sticky enough that trying to wipe it with a wet paper towel
>didn't do much at all.

I prepare tetrazzini often and rarely does it contain dairy, just a
basic flour/veg oil/water bechamel (white sauce).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/7/2014 3:19 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I would love to make this but since I can't have dairy, it will have to
> be an approximation. I have some stuff that I am trying to use up
> including whole wheat linguine and boxed mushroom gravy. I will add
> some onion, probably a little celery, a few fresh mushrooms, turkey
> breast, peas and some black pepper and parsley. If it seems too dry, I
> have some boxed turkey broth to add.
>
> I hope it is good. I miss stuff like tetrazzini, A La King and chicken
> or tuna casserole. Alas I can't have chicken or tuna so it will have to
> be turkey. Will probably attempt to do this on top of the stove as I
> don't want to fire up the oven. I had to self clean it yet again after
> last night's baking. Not sure what slopped over the sides but it was
> kind of buttery and sticky enough that trying to wipe it with a wet
> paper towel didn't do much at all.

Consider using a very light (golden) roux - if butter is considered a
dairy no-no then use chicken fat or canola oil with the flour.

This will work well in a pot pie also.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/7/2014 10:28 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 09:23:54 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> I prepare tetrazzini often and rarely does it contain dairy, just a
>> basic flour/veg oil/water bechamel (white sauce).

> Uh, the two main ingredients that define a bechamel sauce are milk
> and/or cream plus butter.
>
> -sw

Are you dense, he just listed a non-dairy recipe.

Have another coffin nail, you've earned it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 02:19:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I would love to make this but since I can't have dairy, it will have to be
> an approximation. I have some stuff that I am trying to use up including
> whole wheat linguine and boxed mushroom gravy. I will add some onion,
> probably a little celery, a few fresh mushrooms, turkey breast, peas and
> some black pepper and parsley. If it seems too dry, I have some boxed
> turkey broth to add.
>
> I hope it is good. I miss stuff like tetrazzini,

Why can't you make it using a nondairy creamer for the white sauce?
It wouldn't be Tetrazzini to me without lots of parmesan cheese, so I
guess that's what nutritional yeast is for when you can't eat dairy.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 02:19:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I would love to make this but since I can't have dairy, it will have to be
>>an approximation. I have some stuff that I am trying to use up including
>>whole wheat linguine and boxed mushroom gravy. I will add some onion,
>>probably a little celery, a few fresh mushrooms, turkey breast, peas and
>>some black pepper and parsley. If it seems too dry, I have some boxed
>>turkey broth to add.
>>
>>I hope it is good. I miss stuff like tetrazzini, A La King and chicken or
>>tuna casserole. Alas I can't have chicken or tuna so it will have to be
>>turkey. Will probably attempt to do this on top of the stove as I don't
>>want to fire up the oven. I had to self clean it yet again after last
>>night's baking. Not sure what slopped over the sides but it was kind of
>>buttery and sticky enough that trying to wipe it with a wet paper towel
>>didn't do much at all.

> I prepare tetrazzini often and rarely does it contain dairy, just a
> basic flour/veg oil/water bechamel (white sauce).

White sauce has milk or cream in it. And tetrazzini often has cheese as
well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"squirts" > wrote in message
> On 8/7/2014 10:28 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 09:23:54 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>>> I prepare tetrazzini often and rarely does it contain dairy, just a
>>> basic flour/veg oil/water bechamel (white sauce).

>> Uh, the two main ingredients that define a bechamel sauce are milk
>> and/or cream plus butter.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> Are you dense, he just listed a non-dairy recipe.
>
> Have another coffin nail, you've earned it.

Actually he didn't. I don't know what that would be but not white sauce and
certainly not good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"squirts" > wrote in message
> On 8/7/2014 3:19 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I would love to make this but since I can't have dairy, it will have to
>> be an approximation. I have some stuff that I am trying to use up
>> including whole wheat linguine and boxed mushroom gravy. I will add
>> some onion, probably a little celery, a few fresh mushrooms, turkey
>> breast, peas and some black pepper and parsley. If it seems too dry, I
>> have some boxed turkey broth to add.
>>
>> I hope it is good. I miss stuff like tetrazzini, A La King and chicken
>> or tuna casserole. Alas I can't have chicken or tuna so it will have to
>> be turkey. Will probably attempt to do this on top of the stove as I
>> don't want to fire up the oven. I had to self clean it yet again after
>> last night's baking. Not sure what slopped over the sides but it was
>> kind of buttery and sticky enough that trying to wipe it with a wet
>> paper towel didn't do much at all.

> Consider using a very light (golden) roux - if butter is considered a
> dairy no-no then use chicken fat or canola oil with the flour.
>
> This will work well in a pot pie also.

As I said, I can't have chicken. And I don't like the flavor of canola.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 02:19:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I would love to make this but since I can't have dairy, it will have to
>> be
>> an approximation. I have some stuff that I am trying to use up including
>> whole wheat linguine and boxed mushroom gravy. I will add some onion,
>> probably a little celery, a few fresh mushrooms, turkey breast, peas and
>> some black pepper and parsley. If it seems too dry, I have some boxed
>> turkey broth to add.
>>
>> I hope it is good. I miss stuff like tetrazzini,

> Why can't you make it using a nondairy creamer for the white sauce?
> It wouldn't be Tetrazzini to me without lots of parmesan cheese, so I
> guess that's what nutritional yeast is for when you can't eat dairy.

Because nondairy creamer contains dairy! Why it has that name is beyond me.
I have used nutritional yeast for some things. Not enough that I want to
keep it in the house and it is hard to find that doesn't contain dairy. I
don't think I would like the flavor of it in this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Dairy_Creamer

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/7/2014 3:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "squirts" > wrote in message

>>> Uh, the two main ingredients that define a bechamel sauce are milk
>>> and/or cream plus butter.
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> Are you dense, he just listed a non-dairy recipe.
>>
>> Have another coffin nail, you've earned it.

> Actually he didn't. I don't know what that would be but not white sauce
> and certainly not good.

As I said earlier, it's likely a roux made with flour and chicken fat or
veg. oil could work. Adjust to as white or gold as you feel comfortable
with. No milk or butter needed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/7/2014 3:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "squirts" > wrote in message
>> On 8/7/2014 3:19 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I would love to make this but since I can't have dairy, it will have to
>>> be an approximation. I have some stuff that I am trying to use up
>>> including whole wheat linguine and boxed mushroom gravy. I will add
>>> some onion, probably a little celery, a few fresh mushrooms, turkey
>>> breast, peas and some black pepper and parsley. If it seems too dry, I
>>> have some boxed turkey broth to add.
>>>
>>> I hope it is good. I miss stuff like tetrazzini, A La King and chicken
>>> or tuna casserole. Alas I can't have chicken or tuna so it will have to
>>> be turkey. Will probably attempt to do this on top of the stove as I
>>> don't want to fire up the oven. I had to self clean it yet again after
>>> last night's baking. Not sure what slopped over the sides but it was
>>> kind of buttery and sticky enough that trying to wipe it with a wet
>>> paper towel didn't do much at all.

>> Consider using a very light (golden) roux - if butter is considered a
>> dairy no-no then use chicken fat or canola oil with the flour.
>>
>> This will work well in a pot pie also.

> As I said, I can't have chicken. And I don't like the flavor of canola.

Then there is vegetable oil, corn oil, or cottonseed oil, amongst
others, even good old lard.

Lotsa possibilities to make a roux.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/7/2014 5:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "squirts" > wrote in message
>> On 8/7/2014 3:19 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I would love to make this but since I can't have dairy, it will have to
>>> be an approximation. I have some stuff that I am trying to use up
>>> including whole wheat linguine and boxed mushroom gravy. I will add
>>> some onion, probably a little celery, a few fresh mushrooms, turkey
>>> breast, peas and some black pepper and parsley. If it seems too dry, I
>>> have some boxed turkey broth to add.
>>>
>>> I hope it is good. I miss stuff like tetrazzini, A La King and chicken
>>> or tuna casserole. Alas I can't have chicken or tuna so it will have to
>>> be turkey.

>> Consider using a very light (golden) roux - if butter is considered a
>> dairy no-no then use chicken fat or canola oil with the flour.
>>
>> This will work well in a pot pie also.

> As I said, I can't have chicken. And I don't like the flavor of canola.

I'm not espousing what he/she recommends, mind you. You can always use
turkey rather than chicken. But there are other oils neutral oils other
than canola. Safflower. Sunflower. Peanut oil. Still, I seriously
doubt making a roux would be the same at all. See, the new "squirts"
troll doesn't even know butter is considered dairy. BZZZZZT!

He/she went into the k/f the minute they posted allegedly embarrassing
pictures of Steve Wertz being awarded for volunteering at a food bank.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 02:19:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I would love to make this but since I can't have dairy, it will have to
> >> be
> >> an approximation. I have some stuff that I am trying to use up including
> >> whole wheat linguine and boxed mushroom gravy. I will add some onion,
> >> probably a little celery, a few fresh mushrooms, turkey breast, peas and
> >> some black pepper and parsley. If it seems too dry, I have some boxed
> >> turkey broth to add.
> >>
> >> I hope it is good. I miss stuff like tetrazzini,

> > Why can't you make it using a nondairy creamer for the white sauce?
> > It wouldn't be Tetrazzini to me without lots of parmesan cheese, so I
> > guess that's what nutritional yeast is for when you can't eat dairy.

> Because nondairy creamer contains dairy! Why it has that name is beyond me.
> I have used nutritional yeast for some things. Not enough that I want to
> keep it in the house and it is hard to find that doesn't contain dairy. I
> don't think I would like the flavor of it in this.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Dairy_Creamer

Alternatives
If youąd rather skip the chemicals, fats and beaver booty, but still
crave a little creaminess in your java, you might want to consider one
of these (relatively) healthier options.
Almond Milk*
A good choice for the lactose intolerant, almond milk comes in a variety
of flavors. Typically supplemented, it is a good source of vitamins A,
B-12 and D as well as potassium, phosphorus and zinc.*
Coconut Milk*
Delicious and healthful:
More than half of the fats from coconuts are known as medium-chain
triglycerides (MCTs) * a type of fat that is more likely to be burned
off as fuel, rather than stored on the body.*
Cream and Whole Milk
For those not afflicted with lactose intolerance, smaller amounts of
these high-fat foods can produce health benefits:
Dairy fats contain bio-active components including CLA (Conjugated
linoleic acid) and Omega-3 fatty acids that counter balance saturated
fats.
In addition, whole milk has lots of protein and calcium, as well as
vitamin D and potassium.* Further, recent studies are showing that,
contrary to what was once thought, łconsumption of whole-fat dairy is
linked to reduced body fat.ł
Hemp Milk*
Imparting no additional buzz to your morning cup of Joe, hemp milk is
also a viable alternative for the lactose intolerant. A cup of Hemp
Bliss original flavor provides 20% of the RDA of iron and 5 grams of
protein, with only 7 grams of fat.
Soy Milk
Although recent research has raised some concern about ingesting too
much soy, it remains a good source of vitamin A and calcium, and one cup
provides six grams of protein and only 4 grams of fat.

http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/reci...oni-and-cheese

seems to me that if you can make mac and cheese with milk alternatives,
you can make tetrazzini

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"squirts" > wrote in message
> On 8/7/2014 3:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Are you dense, he just listed a non-dairy recipe.
>>>
>>> Have another coffin nail, you've earned it.

>> Actually he didn't. I don't know what that would be but not white sauce
>> and certainly not good.

> As I said earlier, it's likely a roux made with flour and chicken fat or
> veg. oil could work. Adjust to as white or gold as you feel comfortable
> with. No milk or butter needed.

Again, I can't have chicken and the end result of that is not something I'd
want to eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"squirts" > wrote in message
> On 8/7/2014 3:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Consider using a very light (golden) roux - if butter is considered a
>>> dairy no-no then use chicken fat or canola oil with the flour.
>>>
>>> This will work well in a pot pie also.

>> As I said, I can't have chicken. And I don't like the flavor of canola.

> Then there is vegetable oil, corn oil, or cottonseed oil, amongst others,
> even good old lard.

That's not something I'd want to eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 8/7/2014 5:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Consider using a very light (golden) roux - if butter is considered a
>>> dairy no-no then use chicken fat or canola oil with the flour.
>>>
>>> This will work well in a pot pie also.

>> As I said, I can't have chicken. And I don't like the flavor of canola.

> I'm not espousing what he/she recommends, mind you. You can always use
> turkey rather than chicken. But there are other oils neutral oils other
> than canola. Safflower. Sunflower. Peanut oil. Still, I seriously
> doubt making a roux would be the same at all. See, the new "squirts"

Where in the world would I get turkey fat? And I know there are oils but I
don't want something that is just fat and flour. That doesn't make for a
tasty dish.

> troll doesn't even know butter is considered dairy. BZZZZZT!
>
> He/she went into the k/f the minute they posted allegedly embarrassing
> pictures of Steve Wertz being awarded for volunteering at a food bank.

What was embarrassing about the pic?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

> >> As I said, I can't have chicken. And I don't like the flavor of canola.

> > I'm not espousing what he/she recommends, mind you. You can always use
> > turkey rather than chicken. But there are other oils neutral oils other
> > than canola. Safflower. Sunflower. Peanut oil. Still, I seriously
> > doubt making a roux would be the same at all. See, the new "squirts"

> Where in the world would I get turkey fat? And I know there are oils but I
> don't want something that is just fat and flour. That doesn't make for a
> tasty dish.

I've never known anyone that would consider a roux as "food" to be eaten
by itself

> > troll doesn't even know butter is considered dairy. BZZZZZT!
> >
> > He/she went into the k/f the minute they posted allegedly embarrassing
> > pictures of Steve Wertz being awarded for volunteering at a food bank.

> What was embarrassing about the pic?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 14:24:20 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 02:19:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>I would love to make this but since I can't have dairy, it will have to be
> >>an approximation. I have some stuff that I am trying to use up including
> >>whole wheat linguine and boxed mushroom gravy. I will add some onion,
> >>probably a little celery, a few fresh mushrooms, turkey breast, peas and
> >>some black pepper and parsley. If it seems too dry, I have some boxed
> >>turkey broth to add.
> >>
> >>I hope it is good. I miss stuff like tetrazzini, A La King and chicken or
> >>tuna casserole. Alas I can't have chicken or tuna so it will have to be
> >>turkey. Will probably attempt to do this on top of the stove as I don't
> >>want to fire up the oven. I had to self clean it yet again after last
> >>night's baking. Not sure what slopped over the sides but it was kind of
> >>buttery and sticky enough that trying to wipe it with a wet paper towel
> >>didn't do much at all.

> > I prepare tetrazzini often and rarely does it contain dairy, just a
> > basic flour/veg oil/water bechamel (white sauce).

> White sauce has milk or cream in it. And tetrazzini often has cheese as
> well.

It sounds like he's making oily paste. A velouté would have stock in
it, you'd use vegetable stock because you can't eat chicken. I'd just
forget about making Tetrazzini if I had to make as many changes as you
have to make because the result is not even close to Tetrazzini.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 19:15:29 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> And I know there are oils but I
> don't want something that is just fat and flour. That doesn't make for a
> tasty dish.

In any case, an oil roux is the beginning of gumbo, not Tetrazzini.
http://www.gumbocooking.com/traditional-roux.html

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 19:15:29 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> And I know there are oils but I
>> don't want something that is just fat and flour. That doesn't make for a
>> tasty dish.

> In any case, an oil roux is the beginning of gumbo, not Tetrazzini.
> http://www.gumbocooking.com/traditional-roux.html

Indeed! Mixed opinions on the end results. I bought a turkey breast which
I really don't like. I prefer canned. Have ordered canned and it is on the
way. Did not see any the last few times I was at Costco and all I can find
elsewhere is mixed meat which I do not like. I liked the flavor just fine.
Just didn't care for the texture of the meat so I kind of ate around it.
Angela loved it which is good because I made a big batch. Husband referred
to it as slop but it looked like he ate it. Not sure why he would say that
as it wasn't really a sloppy meal. There was extra sauce in the pan but I'm
sure by now the pasta has soaked that up.

The only gumbo I ever ate was the kind that Campbell's soup made which I'm
sure is nothing at all like real gumbo. I have made the real stuff and
other Cajun cuisine. I thought husband would like it since he lived in LA
and was raving about how good the food was there. But I think the problem
was that I bought not only a cookbook by Chef Paul Prudhomme but also his
seasonings. I don't normally cook with seasoning blends like that and
nothing I made was liked. I didn't even try the stuff because it smelled
vile to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 14:24:20 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>> > On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 02:19:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> > I prepare tetrazzini often and rarely does it contain dairy, just a
>> > basic flour/veg oil/water bechamel (white sauce).

>> White sauce has milk or cream in it. And tetrazzini often has cheese as
>> well.

> It sounds like he's making oily paste. A velouté would have stock in
> it, you'd use vegetable stock because you can't eat chicken. I'd just
> forget about making Tetrazzini if I had to make as many changes as you
> have to make because the result is not even close to Tetrazzini.

Well, I don't know what you'd call what I made. But Angela loved it and
that's all that matters. Normally I would have baked this in the oven but
instead I just used my big sauté pan to heat it all through.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 02:19:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I would love to make this but since I can't have dairy, it will have to
>>> be
>>> an approximation. I have some stuff that I am trying to use up
>>> including
>>> whole wheat linguine and boxed mushroom gravy. I will add some onion,
>>> probably a little celery, a few fresh mushrooms, turkey breast, peas and
>>> some black pepper and parsley. If it seems too dry, I have some boxed
>>> turkey broth to add.
>>>
>>> I hope it is good. I miss stuff like tetrazzini,

>> Why can't you make it using a nondairy creamer for the white sauce?
>> It wouldn't be Tetrazzini to me without lots of parmesan cheese, so I
>> guess that's what nutritional yeast is for when you can't eat dairy.

> Because nondairy creamer contains dairy! Why it has that name is beyond
> me. I have used nutritional yeast for some things. Not enough that I want
> to keep it in the house and it is hard to find that doesn't contain dairy.
> I don't think I would like the flavor of it in this.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Dairy_Creamer

soya milk and flour.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 02:19:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> Why can't you make it using a nondairy creamer for the white sauce?
>>> It wouldn't be Tetrazzini to me without lots of parmesan cheese, so I
>>> guess that's what nutritional yeast is for when you can't eat dairy.

>> Because nondairy creamer contains dairy! Why it has that name is beyond
>> me. I have used nutritional yeast for some things. Not enough that I
>> want
>> to keep it in the house and it is hard to find that doesn't contain
>> dairy.
>> I don't think I would like the flavor of it in this.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Dairy_Creamer

> soya milk and flour.

I try not to do much soy though. I have to have it for margarine but other
than that I try not to consume it. Soy really messes with my thyroid. This
dish did come out well. If I do make it again, I will use the canned turkey
as the texture is much better than what I used.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/7/2014 10:15 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>
>> "squirts"
>> troll doesn't even know butter is considered dairy. BZZZZZT!
>>
>> He/she went into the k/f the minute they posted allegedly embarrassing
>> pictures of Steve Wertz being awarded for volunteering at a food bank.

> What was embarrassing about the pic?

Nothing, which was my point. Anyone who goes to all the trouble to dig
up photos of people is nothing more than a stalker. Hence, k/f.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/8/2014 2:21 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> The only gumbo I ever ate was the kind that Campbell's soup made which
> I'm sure is nothing at all like real gumbo. I have made the real stuff
> and other Cajun cuisine. I thought husband would like it since he lived
> in LA and was raving about how good the food was there. But I think the
> problem was that I bought not only a cookbook by Chef Paul Prudhomme but
> also his seasonings. I don't normally cook with seasoning blends like
> that and nothing I made was liked. I didn't even try the stuff because
> it smelled vile to me.

His cookbooks are just fine. But true Cajun or Creole cooking isn't
done with seasoning blends. If you'd actually followed his recipe
(which does not call for his seasoning blends) you might have... well,
never mind. You wouldn't like gumbo.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 23:22:19 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 14:24:20 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:

> >> White sauce has milk or cream in it. And tetrazzini often has cheese as
> >> well.

> > It sounds like he's making oily paste. A velouté would have stock in
> > it, you'd use vegetable stock because you can't eat chicken. I'd just
> > forget about making Tetrazzini if I had to make as many changes as you
> > have to make because the result is not even close to Tetrazzini.

> Well, I don't know what you'd call what I made. But Angela loved it and
> that's all that matters. Normally I would have baked this in the oven but
> instead I just used my big sauté pan to heat it all through.

I'd call it baked turkey and pasta in a mushroom gravy... except you
didn't mention mushrooms or baking, so it would just be gravy.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 19:14:03 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"squirts" > wrote in message

>>> As I said, I can't have chicken. And I don't like the flavor of canola.

>> Then there is vegetable oil, corn oil, or cottonseed oil, amongst others,
>> even good old lard.

>That's not something I'd want to eat.

Do you even know what tetrazzini is...???
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 20:45:45 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>> > I'm not espousing what he/she recommends, mind you. You can always use
>> > turkey rather than chicken. But there are other oils neutral oils other
>> > than canola. Safflower. Sunflower. Peanut oil. Still, I seriously
>> > doubt making a roux would be the same at all. See, the new "squirts"

>> Where in the world would I get turkey fat? And I know there are oils but I
>> don't want something that is just fat and flour. That doesn't make for a
>> tasty dish.

>I've never known anyone that would consider a roux as "food" to be eaten
>by itself

Roux is more part of a process than a food... a roux is an ingredient
used to make a bechamel sauce which can be and is typically seasoned
and used as a part of a recipe, same as other sauces

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 8/8/2014 2:21 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> The only gumbo I ever ate was the kind that Campbell's soup made which
>> I'm sure is nothing at all like real gumbo. I have made the real stuff
>> and other Cajun cuisine. I thought husband would like it since he lived
>> in LA and was raving about how good the food was there. But I think the
>> problem was that I bought not only a cookbook by Chef Paul Prudhomme but
>> also his seasonings. I don't normally cook with seasoning blends like
>> that and nothing I made was liked. I didn't even try the stuff because
>> it smelled vile to me.

> His cookbooks are just fine. But true Cajun or Creole cooking isn't done
> with seasoning blends. If you'd actually followed his recipe (which does
> not call for his seasoning blends) you might have... well, never mind.
> You wouldn't like gumbo.

The recipes did call for the seasoning blends which was the only reason I
bought them. I was very disappointed after I opened the book. I bought it
shrink wrapped at the drugstore on clearance. Also the seasoning blends
were on clearance around the same time. Obviously not hot sellers

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 23:22:19 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 14:24:20 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> > It sounds like he's making oily paste. A velouté would have stock in
>> > it, you'd use vegetable stock because you can't eat chicken. I'd just
>> > forget about making Tetrazzini if I had to make as many changes as you
>> > have to make because the result is not even close to Tetrazzini.

>> Well, I don't know what you'd call what I made. But Angela loved it and
>> that's all that matters. Normally I would have baked this in the oven
>> but
>> instead I just used my big sauté pan to heat it all through.

> I'd call it baked turkey and pasta in a mushroom gravy... except you
> didn't mention mushrooms or baking, so it would just be gravy.

I did put mushrooms in it and it wasn't baked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 19:14:03 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> Then there is vegetable oil, corn oil, or cottonseed oil, amongst
>>> others,
>>> even good old lard.

>>That's not something I'd want to eat.

> Do you even know what tetrazzini is...???

Yes but obviously you don't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Brooklyn1 > wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 20:45:45 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,

> >> Where in the world would I get turkey fat? And I know there are oils but
> >> don't want something that is just fat and flour. That doesn't make for a
> >> tasty dish.

> >I've never known anyone that would consider a roux as "food" to be eaten
> >by itself

> Roux is more part of a process than a food... a roux is an ingredient
> used to make a bechamel sauce which can be and is typically seasoned
> and used as a part of a recipe, same as other sauces

apparently Julie doesn't know that

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/8/2014 1:15 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 14:25:50 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Consider using a very light (golden) roux - if butter is considered a
>>> dairy no-no then use chicken fat or canola oil with the flour.
>>>
>>> This will work well in a pot pie also.

>> As I said, I can't have chicken. And I don't like the flavor of canola.

> Sucker!
>
> -sw

Misogynist troll!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/7/2014 8:14 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "squirts" > wrote in message

>>> As I said, I can't have chicken. And I don't like the flavor of canola.

>> Then there is vegetable oil, corn oil, or cottonseed oil, amongst
>> others, even good old lard.

> That's not something I'd want to eat.

Lard?

No, probably not, but the other oils ought to offer a range of choices.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/7/2014 8:13 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "squirts" > wrote in message

>>> Actually he didn't. I don't know what that would be but not white sauce
>>> and certainly not good.

>> As I said earlier, it's likely a roux made with flour and chicken fat
>> or veg. oil could work. Adjust to as white or gold as you feel
>> comfortable with. No milk or butter needed.

> Again, I can't have chicken and the end result of that is not something
> I'd want to eat.

Then focus on the vegetable oil.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/7/2014 5:51 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/7/2014 5:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Consider using a very light (golden) roux - if butter is considered a
>>> dairy no-no then use chicken fat or canola oil with the flour.
>>>
>>> This will work well in a pot pie also.

>> As I said, I can't have chicken. And I don't like the flavor of canola.

> I'm not espousing what he/she recommends, mind you. You can always use
> turkey rather than chicken. But there are other oils neutral oils other
> than canola. Safflower. Sunflower. Peanut oil. Still, I seriously
> doubt making a roux would be the same at all. See, the new "squirts"
> troll doesn't even know butter is considered dairy. BZZZZZT!

That was why I listed other oils, dear.

> He/she went into the k/f the minute they posted allegedly embarrassing
> pictures of Steve Wertz being awarded for volunteering at a food bank.
>
> Jill

Your self-righteousness is a giddy delusion.

Chicken Tetrazzini for 50 Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 23-09-2007 06:42 PM
Chicken Tetrazzini lindatn Recipes (moderated) 0 11-03-2005 04:55 AM
Chicken Tetrazzini Duckie ® Recipes 0 07-03-2005 01:37 PM
Chicken Tetrazzini grossbea Recipes (moderated) 0 04-03-2005 06:21 AM
Turkey Tetrazzini Becca General Cooking 12 30-11-2004 03:22 PM