Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Great Defrosting

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> I'm not sure how long it's been since the
> last defrosting. I would have said at least
> five years, but based on some recent discoveries
> I might have to roll that back. Maybe 7 or 8,
> but I can't rule out 10. Or more.
>
> I didn't want to do this. It's so much work
> and a real mess. But the thermostat stopped
> working. It wouldn't shut off. The day before
> yesterday, I noticed some items from the freezer
> were so cold my fingers were sticking to them.
> Yesterday, I noticed stuff in the refrigerator
> section were frozen. This is no good, I have
> to fix it. I vaguely recall this happened
> once before, and it was fixed by defrosting.
>
> In recent years, I'd just chip away enough ice
> so I could get the door closed and keep a tunnel
> through the ice large enough for an ice cube
> tray, bag of frozen prawns, and bag of frozen
> potstickers. When I'd have extra ice cubes,
> I'd put them in a plastic bag to plug up the
> front of the ice tunnel, which seemed to work
> fairly well for keeping everything frozen.
> (The freezer door fell off a long time ago.
> The door I was referring to above is the main
> refrigerator door.)
>
> My handy method of defrosting is to put my
> broom across the top of the fridge, use my
> laundry basket as a counterweight on the
> far end of the broom, use the handle (sticking
> out over the front) to hang my big box fan
> in front of the freezer, and use the blast
> of air to melt the ice. I alternate that
> with chipping the ice out with a kitchen knife,
> oyster knife, or a 19th century English carpet
> stretcher I bought on eBay that works quite
> well for chipping ice.
>
> My mom used to boil a pot of water on the stove
> and use hot water to defrost the ice. I've
> tried that method, but I've always worried it
> might cause the Freon to boil and burst the
> refrigerator. It's also more work than the
> air blast method. Also, Mom only had to deal
> with much thinner ice layers because she
> defrosted much more frequently. For the last
> 30 years or more, she's had a frost-free
> refrigerator. Of course, no serious foodie
> uses one of those.

Use the fan alone. You will not need luck unless you persist with your
"chipping the ice out with a kitchen knife, oyster knife, or a 19th century
English carpet stretcher I bought on eBay that works quite well for chipping
ice" or your mom's "boiling water trick".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> [...]
> rancid over the years, but no. The first
> piece was okay, no hint of rancidity, but
> also not notable for the fruitiness that
> made the Chocovic so good. I ate the second
> piece, and it was the same, of course.
>
> I wasn't tempted to try the fried rice.
>
> I'm about halfway done. I haven't found any
> money or drugs, but it's not all melted.
> Who was that politician who kept his bribe
> money in the freezer? If it was my freezer,
> the FBI never would have found it. So far,
> while writing this posting, I've had to use
> my large sponge three times to transfer water
> collecting in the pool at the bottom to my
> bucket. I dumped the bucket once, and it's
> about half full now. I should be ready to
> begin wrapping up in another hour or two.
> Just in time to begin making dinner.
>
> Hopefully, this will solve the thermostat
> problem. Wish me luck! Time sponge it out

I'm sure you know that isn't the way to defrost the freezer. They make a
spray for that now. Works really well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Aug 2014 14:28:35 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
wrote:

> Use the fan alone. You will not need luck unless you persist with your
> "chipping the ice out with a kitchen knife, oyster knife, or a 19th century
> English carpet stretcher I bought on eBay that works quite well for chipping
> ice" or your mom's "boiling water trick".

I used to have an upright (non self-defrosting) freezer in the
basement. I only needed to let it stand with the door open for a
couple of hours and the ice would drop off without the need for a hair
dryer. It would be self-defrosting if it was upstairs in the kitchen.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2014 2:34 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Aug 2014 14:28:35 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
> wrote:
>

>> Use the fan alone. You will not need luck unless you persist with your
>> "chipping the ice out with a kitchen knife, oyster knife, or a 19th century
>> English carpet stretcher I bought on eBay that works quite well for chipping
>> ice" or your mom's "boiling water trick".

> I used to have an upright (non self-defrosting) freezer in the
> basement. I only needed to let it stand with the door open for a
> couple of hours and the ice would drop off without the need for a hair
> dryer. It would be self-defrosting if it was upstairs in the kitchen.

That's what I do with the refrigerator at work. I just turn off the
thing and wait a few hours. I don't leave the door open because I want
to retain the cold. I used to hack away at the ice but these days, I'm
smarter and more patient. The ice falls off in big chunks. The chore is
a piece of cake for those willing to wait.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 4 Aug 2014 14:28:35 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
> wrote:
>

>> Use the fan alone. You will not need luck unless you persist with your
>> "chipping the ice out with a kitchen knife, oyster knife, or a 19th
>> century
>> English carpet stretcher I bought on eBay that works quite well for
>> chipping
>> ice" or your mom's "boiling water trick".

> I used to have an upright (non self-defrosting) freezer in the
> basement. I only needed to let it stand with the door open for a
> couple of hours and the ice would drop off without the need for a hair
> dryer. It would be self-defrosting if it was upstairs in the kitchen.

I had one in an old apartment. Standard fridge with top freezer. I'd just
let the food supply dwindle then put whatever was left in some coolers.

I would then shut off the power and put a large pot of hot water in there,
changing it a few times. Was usually done in two hours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 8/4/2014 2:34 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 4 Aug 2014 14:28:35 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Use the fan alone. You will not need luck unless you persist with your
>>> "chipping the ice out with a kitchen knife, oyster knife, or a 19th
>>> century
>>> English carpet stretcher I bought on eBay that works quite well for
>>> chipping
>>> ice" or your mom's "boiling water trick".

>> I used to have an upright (non self-defrosting) freezer in the
>> basement. I only needed to let it stand with the door open for a
>> couple of hours and the ice would drop off without the need for a hair
>> dryer. It would be self-defrosting if it was upstairs in the kitchen.
>>

> That's what I do with the refrigerator at work. I just turn off the thing
> and wait a few hours. I don't leave the door open because I want to retain
> the cold. I used to hack away at the ice but these days, I'm smarter and
> more patient. The ice falls off in big chunks. The chore is a piece of
> cake for those willing to wait.

Yes. Some people can be sooo impatient. I've seen them using tons of elbow
grease on some dried up spill. When all you have to do is spray it with
cleaner then wait a little while. If it's really bad you can put some wet
paper towels over it. The wetness loosens it and it will wipe right off.
No need to scrub.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 4, 2014 4:58:49 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message

> > On 8/4/2014 2:34 PM, sf wrote:

> >> I used to have an upright (non self-defrosting) freezer in the

> >> basement. I only needed to let it stand with the door open for a

> >> couple of hours and the ice would drop off without the need for a hair

> >> dryer. It would be self-defrosting if it was upstairs in the kitchen.

> > That's what I do with the refrigerator at work. I just turn off the thing

> > and wait a few hours. I don't leave the door open because I want to retain

> > the cold. I used to hack away at the ice but these days, I'm smarter and

> > more patient. The ice falls off in big chunks. The chore is a piece of

> > cake for those willing to wait.

> Yes. Some people can be sooo impatient. I've seen them using tons of elbow
>
> grease on some dried up spill. When all you have to do is spray it with
>
> cleaner then wait a little while. If it's really bad you can put some wet
>
> paper towels over it. The wetness loosens it and it will wipe right off.
>
> No need to scrub.

All I know is that I sure wish I could get so excited by defrosting a freezer. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 4, 2014 4:11:05 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> [...]

> > also not notable for the fruitiness that

> > made the Chocovic so good. I ate the second

> > piece, and it was the same, of course.

> > I wasn't tempted to try the fried rice.

> > I'm about halfway done. I haven't found any

> > money or drugs, but it's not all melted.

> > Who was that politician who kept his bribe

> > money in the freezer? If it was my freezer,

> > the FBI never would have found it. So far,

> > while writing this posting, I've had to use

> > my large sponge three times to transfer water

> > collecting in the pool at the bottom to my

> > bucket. I dumped the bucket once, and it's

> > about half full now. I should be ready to

> > begin wrapping up in another hour or two.

> > Just in time to begin making dinner.

> > Hopefully, this will solve the thermostat

> > problem. Wish me luck! Time sponge it out

> > again.

> I'm sure you know that isn't the way to defrost the freezer. They make a

Please elucidate...never heard of this process.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> > I'm not sure how long it's been since the
> > last defrosting.

Well, if you ever need a new freezer, be sure to get a frost-free one
that not only keeps the food better because it's so well insulated....
it never, ever needs defrosting and the contents will always be
recognisable.

Only downside is a bruised arse from kicking yourself because you
didn't throw out the old ice-monster years ago.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message
t...

>> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>> > I'm not sure how long it's been since the
>> > last defrosting.

> Well, if you ever need a new freezer, be sure to get a frost-free one
> that not only keeps the food better because it's so well insulated....
> it never, ever needs defrosting and the contents will always be
> recognisable.
>
> Only downside is a bruised arse from kicking yourself because you
> didn't throw out the old ice-monster years ago.

I make it a point to NOT get a frost free freezer. It is harder on the
food, with its warming cycles, and consumes more power. And, one more thing
to break. Why would a frost-free one be better insulated than the other?

I only have to defrost every few years, and then with a box fan it only
takes a couple hours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2014 7:34 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Aug 2014 14:28:35 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
> wrote:
>

>> Use the fan alone. You will not need luck unless you persist with your
>> "chipping the ice out with a kitchen knife, oyster knife, or a 19th century
>> English carpet stretcher I bought on eBay that works quite well for chipping
>> ice" or your mom's "boiling water trick".

> I used to have an upright (non self-defrosting) freezer in the
> basement. I only needed to let it stand with the door open for a
> couple of hours and the ice would drop off without the need for a hair
> dryer. It would be self-defrosting if it was upstairs in the kitchen.

I just pull everything out, put a sheet cake pan on the freezer floor
to catch the melted ice/water, stick a blow dryer inside, prop the
door mostly shut, wait 5-10 minutes. Open door, turn off blow dryer,
wipe everything dry, remove pan of water, refill freezer, turn back on
and it's good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/5/2014 1:03 PM, Janet wrote:

>> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>>> I'm not sure how long it's been since the
>>> last defrosting.

> Well, if you ever need a new freezer, be sure to get a frost-free one
> that not only keeps the food better because it's so well insulated....
> it never, ever needs defrosting and the contents will always be
> recognisable.

I chose not to buy one, because the energy consumption difference
between the frost-free models and the manual defrost models were so
significant. I'd've ended up paying a lot more every year for the
convenience. I'm too much of a cheapskate to do that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Monday, August 4, 2014 4:11:05 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I'm sure you know that isn't the way to defrost the freezer. They make a
>>
>> spray for that now. Works really well.

> Please elucidate...never heard of this process.

I bought it online but can't remember where. Lemme see if I can find it.

Here it is. And this is likely where I got it from.

http://www.always-free-shipping.com/...FQOHaQodUQsAZA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/5/2014 5:04 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Roy" > wrote in message
>> On Monday, August 4, 2014 4:11:05 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I'm sure you know that isn't the way to defrost the freezer. They
>>> make a
>>>
>>> spray for that now. Works really well.

>> Please elucidate...never heard of this process.

> I bought it online but can't remember where. Lemme see if I can find it.
>
> Here it is. And this is likely where I got it from.

And what kind of crap are you spraying into your freezer? Ick!

--
DreadfulBitch

I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I'm perfect.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2014 6:21 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> I'm not sure how long it's been since the
> last defrosting. I would have said at least
> five years, but based on some recent discoveries
> I might have to roll that back. Maybe 7 or 8,
> but I can't rule out 10. Or more.

(major snippage)

So don't let your freezer get into such a fat mess. Likely anything in
there is inedible and incredibly freezer burned by now. Toss it, then
toss the freezer. It's apparent you don't actually use it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DreadfulBitch" > wrote in message
> On 8/5/2014 5:04 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Please elucidate...never heard of this process.

>> I bought it online but can't remember where. Lemme see if I can find it.
>>
>> Here it is. And this is likely where I got it from.

> And what kind of crap are you spraying into your freezer? Ick!

It's just ice melter. Not a big deal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 8/4/2014 6:21 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
>> I'm not sure how long it's been since the
>> last defrosting. I would have said at least
>> five years, but based on some recent discoveries
>> I might have to roll that back. Maybe 7 or 8,
>> but I can't rule out 10. Or more.
>>

> (major snippage)
>
> So don't let your freezer get into such a fat mess. Likely anything in
> there is inedible and incredibly freezer burned by now. Toss it, then
> toss the freezer. It's apparent you don't actually use it.

I try to do mine at least twice a year. I haven't done the one in my
smallest one only because it is so tiny that it only holds a very tiny ice
tray. I don't use it for anything. The other one is just for blue ice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/5/2014 8:05 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "DreadfulBitch" > wrote in message

>>> I bought it online but can't remember where. Lemme see if I can find
>>> it.
>>>
>>> Here it is. And this is likely where I got it from.

>> And what kind of crap are you spraying into your freezer? Ick!

> It's just ice melter. Not a big deal.

The same stuff they use to de-ice airplanes? j/k, but only maybe. Who
would want that stuff in their freezer? Just don't let it get so
absolutely coated with ice. I've had a couple of non-frost free
top-freezer refrigerators. I never let them get so coated with ice. No
ice picks in my freezer, nope. No chemicals, either.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 8/5/2014 8:05 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> And what kind of crap are you spraying into your freezer? Ick!

>> It's just ice melter. Not a big deal.

> The same stuff they use to de-ice airplanes? j/k, but only maybe. Who
> would want that stuff in their freezer? Just don't let it get so
> absolutely coated with ice. I've had a couple of non-frost free
> top-freezer refrigerators. I never let them get so coated with ice. No
> ice picks in my freezer, nope. No chemicals, either.

I've had ice but never a huge build up.

I can remember someone once telling me that they couldn't use their freezer
because nothing stayed frozen. So I said I would look at it, thinking it
wasn't set right. Nope! There was a giant iceberg sticking out so far that
the door wouldn't close. I couldn't believe anyone would let it get like
that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Aug 2014 19:03:29 +0100, Janet > wrote:

> > "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> > > I'm not sure how long it's been since the
> > > last defrosting.

> Well, if you ever need a new freezer, be sure to get a frost-free one
> that not only keeps the food better because it's so well insulated....
> it never, ever needs defrosting and the contents will always be
> recognisable.
>
> Only downside is a bruised arse from kicking yourself because you
> didn't throw out the old ice-monster years ago.

Agree!

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Aug 2014 11:07:13 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
wrote:

> I only have to defrost every few years, and then with a box fan it only
> takes a couple hours.

Every few years? You must not open the door very much. I had to
defrost once a year whether I wanted to or not. It wasn't too big of
a deal, unpack, prop the door open for a few hours, wipe it down,
repack. If I ever get another stand alone freezer, it will be
self-defrosting for sure.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Aug 2014 13:46:08 -0500, Moe DeLoughan >
wrote:

> > Well, if you ever need a new freezer, be sure to get a frost-free one
> > that not only keeps the food better because it's so well insulated....
> > it never, ever needs defrosting and the contents will always be
> > recognisable.
> >

> I chose not to buy one, because the energy consumption difference
> between the frost-free models and the manual defrost models were so
> significant. I'd've ended up paying a lot more every year for the
> convenience. I'm too much of a cheapskate to do that.

You save even more money by not having a stand alone freezer.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 5, 2014 4:04:46 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Roy" > wrote in message

> > On Monday, August 4, 2014 4:11:05 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> >> I'm sure you know that isn't the way to defrost the freezer. They make a

> >> spray for that now. Works really well.

> > Please elucidate...never heard of this process.

> I bought it online but can't remember where. Lemme see if I can find it.
>

> Here it is. And this is likely where I got it from.
>

> http://www.always-free-shipping.com/...FQOHaQodUQsAZA

Most reviewers do NOT recommend this product...principle ingredient is ALCOHOL.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/6/2014 1:55 AM, Roy wrote:

>>> Please elucidate...never heard of this process.

>> I bought it online but can't remember where. Lemme see if I can find it.
>>

>> Here it is. And this is likely where I got it from.
>>

>> http://www.always-free-shipping.com/...FQOHaQodUQsAZA

> Most reviewers do NOT recommend this product...principle ingredient is ALCOHOL.

You can buy alcohol for a few bucks a quart rather than pre-packaged. I
may try it next time to see if it helps the process.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 14:57:39 +0100, Janet > wrote:

> In Europe all fridges and freezers are sold with an energy
> efficiency rating and (tested) energy use.

They are here too.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Aug 2014 09:42:20 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On 8/6/2014 1:55 AM, Roy wrote:
>

> >> http://www.always-free-shipping.com/...FQOHaQodUQsAZA

> > Most reviewers do NOT recommend this product...principle ingredient is ALCOHOL.
> >

> You can buy alcohol for a few bucks a quart rather than pre-packaged. I
> may try it next time to see if it helps the process.

For rubbing alcohol? It's less expensive than that! I didn't know
what a good cleaner alcohol was until my SIL showed me how it can be
used to clean everything from windows to soot.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 5, 2014 2:05:55 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "DreadfulBitch" > wrote in message

> >> I bought it online but can't remember where. Lemme see if I can find it.

> >> Here it is. And this is likely where I got it from.

> > And what kind of crap are you spraying into your freezer? Ick!

> It's just ice melter. Not a big deal.

I had a can of that stuff to de-ice my car windshield when we lived in
WA. Very cool stuff. It works like magic. It sure beats having to pour a pot of hot water on your car.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/6/2014 11:45 AM, sf wrote:

>>> Most reviewers do NOT recommend this product...principle ingredient is ALCOHOL.
>>>

>> You can buy alcohol for a few bucks a quart rather than pre-packaged. I
>> may try it next time to see if it helps the process.

> For rubbing alcohol? It's less expensive than that! I didn't know
> what a good cleaner alcohol was until my SIL showed me how it can be
> used to clean everything from windows to soot.

No, the denatured stuff, no water added, often used as a thinner for
shellac. $17 a gallon. Rubbing alcohol is about 30% water.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/6/2014 8:57 AM, Janet wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> On Tue, 05 Aug 2014 13:46:08 -0500, Moe DeLoughan >
>> wrote:

>>> I chose not to buy one, because the energy consumption difference
>>> between the frost-free models and the manual defrost models were so
>>> significant. I'd've ended up paying a lot more every year for the
>>> convenience. I'm too much of a cheapskate to do that.

>> You save even more money by not having a stand alone freezer.

> In Europe all fridges and freezers are sold with an energy
> efficiency rating and (tested) energy use. My frost-free fridge/freezer
> has the highest efficiency rating and its annual power use is 299
> Kilowat hours. Less than one Kw hour per day. (Considerably more
> efficient than its predecessor).

Yes, and when I compared the efficiency ratings between the manual
defrost model and the frost-free model, it became clear that the
convenience of not having to defrost every so often came at a
significant annual price. That was about ten years ago, I haven't
compared recent models, so I don't know if the difference is still so
significant. Thing is, I *hate* defrosting the freezer (my hands are
very sensitive to cold temperatures, so it is painful, even when
gloved), yet I opted for it because of the annual cost savings. I just
couldn't justify paying that price for not having to periodically
unpack/clean/repack the freezer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/6/2014 6:59 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> So don't let your freezer get into such a fat mess. Likely anything in
>> there is inedible and incredibly freezer burned by now. Toss it, then
>> toss the freezer. It's apparent you don't actually use it.

> I use it every day.

Not if you had to set up some elaborate fan setup with a broom handle
get-up and chisel your way in. You said yourself, "The freezer door
fell off a long time ago. The door I was referring to above is the main
refrigerator door." Uh, what? Why didn't you just replace it?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/6/2014 11:40 AM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 14:57:39 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>
>> In Europe all fridges and freezers are sold with an energy
>> efficiency rating and (tested) energy use.

> They are here too.

Everything these days is energy efficiency rated, right down to light bulbs.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Aug 2014 18:17:42 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2014-08-06 6:51 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:

>> I'm an expert in chipping ice, have done it
>> for over 30 years, and have never damaged
>> a fridge.
>>

>So am I. I don't do it. Modern fridges and freezers are lined with
>plastic. It gets brittle. Hitting it a little too hard or at the wrong
>angle can crack it. So I don't.

Hitting the plastic is not as bad as hitting one of the tubes and
making a hole. I've seen it done and it is an expensive repair.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Aug 2014 14:24:12 -0500, Moe DeLoughan >
wrote:

>Yes, and when I compared the efficiency ratings between the manual
>defrost model and the frost-free model, it became clear that the
>convenience of not having to defrost every so often came at a
>significant annual price. That was about ten years ago, I haven't
>compared recent models, so I don't know if the difference is still so
>significant.

What do you consider significant? $16?

I just checked to Whirlpool 20 cu ft. models and the manual defrost
was $802 to buy and used $55 in energy a year to run.

The frost free listed for $829 and used $71 in energy to run.
http://www.whirlpool.com/digitalasse...20Guide_EN.pdf

In twenty years the difference is $320.

My next one will be frost free.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> So don't let your freezer get into such a fat mess. Likely anything in
> there is inedible and incredibly freezer burned by now. Toss it, then
> toss the freezer. It's apparent you don't actually use it.

I use it every day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Thing is, I *hate* defrosting the freezer (my hands are
> very sensitive to cold temperatures, so it is painful, even when
> gloved), yet I opted for it because of the annual cost savings. I just
> couldn't justify paying that price for not having to periodically
> unpack/clean/repack the freezer.

Have you ever thought about wearing gloves when you move frozen food?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Aug 2014 13:07:50 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On 8/6/2014 11:45 AM, sf wrote:

> >> You can buy alcohol for a few bucks a quart rather than pre-packaged. I
> >> may try it next time to see if it helps the process.

> > For rubbing alcohol? It's less expensive than that! I didn't know
> > what a good cleaner alcohol was until my SIL showed me how it can be
> > used to clean everything from windows to soot.
> >

> No, the denatured stuff, no water added, often used as a thinner for
> shellac. $17 a gallon. Rubbing alcohol is about 30% water.

Rubbing alcohol is all you need for most cleaning purposes.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 06 Aug 2014 14:24:12 -0500, Moe DeLoughan >
> wrote:
>
>> Thing is, I *hate* defrosting the freezer (my hands are
>> very sensitive to cold temperatures, so it is painful, even when
>> gloved), yet I opted for it because of the annual cost savings. I just
>> couldn't justify paying that price for not having to periodically
>> unpack/clean/repack the freezer.

> Have you ever thought about wearing gloves when you move frozen food?

Have you ever thought about reading all of the words? He said, "even when
gloved".